Longshot album Love is for Losers

Eric

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jengd said:

He’s saying BJ has totally overshadowed their releases.

And rightfully so - I tried to get into Cancer Bats and failed.  And Sleep is a fitting name for that other band, yawn!  

Do we have sales numbers on The Longshot yet?  If it were Billie Joes only source of income, how poor would he be?  Haha

31 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Do we have sales numbers on The Longshot yet?  If it were Billie Joes only source of income, how poor would he be?  Haha

I doubt the sales are significant in any way. Stop Drop and Roll sold 19,000 in its opening week and that was back in 2008 when physical albums sold a lot and when Green Day were more popular. In 2018, I doubt a side project like this would sell close to that much.

Just purchased my pair for the Pawtucket show, on cloud fucking 9 right now!

Love is for Losers is #16 in the UK rock album chart. 

7 hours ago, Paola17 said:

Welp, so much for tickets at the moment...

I know. I tried to get tickets for the Toronto show and they sold out within a few seconds 😭

Well I wanted to do one of my infamous long ass posts about every lyric in the songs but this album doesn't call for it.

The one thing I love about this album is it's the first Green Day album in what feels like a decade or more (I only just realized I typed Green Day album) because let's face it, it sounds like a Green Day album with people subbing for Mike and Tre.

The lyrics are fun and not really deep so there is a lot to break down if you want to get deep into it and Billie has a way of even making the most benign things seem poetic.  For instance, "Love is for Losers" is in itself has a couple meanings. It is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy if you really think about it. On it's own, the name sounds weak as fuck.  When I heard the title of the album was "Love is for Losers" I was like, "Really, that's the best they can come up with" but its actually clever. There are a lot of songs that have to do with love in this album.  Love and loss that is although the album never takes itself too seriously.  

Love almost ALWAYS ends badly.  It rarely works out until the end.  Through my years, I have found few and far between that manage to stay happy, I mean really happy throughout a lifetime with one partner.  That said, it can be done, but you have to change your thoughts about what love is.  You never meet the person you are going to date on the fist one, date that is.  Often you will find out that your partner will scar you, cheat you, steal from you, hurt you, smother you, but also nurture, care and love you.  But the trade off is love.  So you can take it a couple of ways.  Love is loss so love is for losers (as in those who lost something and loser in the derogatory sense of the word).  If you are dumb enough to get into something where you know you're gonna lose, you are a loser therefore Love is for Losers.  Sounds like a stretch but after 30 years of dissecting Billie's lyrics, I have become pretty good at picking that stuff up.  

I am going to be honest, at first I didn't love this album.  I thought it sounded too much like Green Day and they do but Billie has taken his love of 50s and 60s chord progressions and harmonies which in reality has been present all the way back to Sweet Children but has been really prevalent in the last decade.  There has always been a Beatles, Everly Brothers, Smokey Robinson, and even Bee Gees progressions in some of his writing (musically).  

The VERY first thing I thought of when I heard the opening track "The Last Time" which is one of my favorite tracks on the album was "Holy shit, that sounds exactly like the opening riff to 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' by The Beatles" and it does as the video below shows proof positive.  FYI, "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was the first major release by the Beatles in the states.

I was bored today and had some time on my hands and through this together in about 30-40 minutes.  I thought I was just gonna show the riff but I decided to just finish it. I thought about mashing it but then realized that would take all day. As it stands, this video starts to trail off towards the end as I got a little bored and wanted it to end.  So I am sorry about that.  The only thing with any real production value that I made was the outro but I made that for my company "Level 6 Creative" about 3 years ago so I made that but not today.

Without further ado, here is my fan video of "The Last Time" by The Longshot.  I can't believe I did this.  I am an official dork like the rest of you guys now.  I hope it doesn't suck.  The lip syncing could have been masterful if someone with some time and desire did it.  I sort of rushed. :-X  ... I also wanted to add some blur and TV noise to the Longshot clips but didn't.  Sorry for all the disclaimers but I am a perfectionist and I hate that I am putting this out in the world but when I was a 1/4 through, I had to finish.  

Edit: well I just found out by watching a YT video that Billie wrote this song for that musical he’s writing lyrics for and it’s suppsoed to sound like the Beatles so that explains that. Ha.

After a few more listens, my top three songs are: Love Is For Losers, Turn Me Loose and The Last Time. Bottom three would be: Kill Your Friends, Happiness and Goodbye To Romance. They're not terrible, I think all the songs are at least listenable, but I'm just not crazy about those ones. 

Just now, ¡Jenn! said:

After a few more listens, my top three songs are: Love Is For Losers, Turn Me Loose and The Last Time. Bottom three would be: Kill Your Friends, Happiness and Goodbye To Romance. They're not terrible, I think all the songs are at least listenable, but I'm just not crazy about those ones. 

I have a soft spot for Ozzy & I think BJ absolutely nailed Goodbye to Romance - I love it.

1 hour ago, kellybelly1978 said:

I know. I tried to get tickets for the Toronto show and they sold out within a few seconds 😭

Ive noticed at a few of the shows some tickets were released on the day - don't give up hope.:)

6 minutes ago, SHART said:

I have a soft spot for Ozzy & I think BJ absolutely nailed Goodbye to Romance - I love it.

Too slow for me :ga: 

My rank of favourite to least favourite

1. Love is for Losers

2. Turn Me Loose

3. The Last Time

4. Happiness

5. Kill Your Friends

6. Taxi Driver

7. Chasing A Ghost

8. Cult Hero

9. Soul Surrender

10. Goodbye To Romance

11. Body Bag

Ok, after a whole week of non-stop listening of the album I think to be able, now, to give a sort of clear ''judge'' (I hate this word, Lol) about Love is for Losers! :-)

''The Last Time'' - Less is more. Sometimes it's true. That chords progression is one of my fave. EVER. So you can't go wrong with it. I like all of the armonies. Disliked a little bit the vocal effect used during the bridge - reminded me of ''Youngblood'' - but love it the clean backing voice coming in singing ''...always on my mi-i-ind!''. - * * * *

''Taxi Driver'' - I love Martin Scorsese. And Robert De Niro is my favourite actor. But that's another story. I liked this song since the 1st I've listened to it. Nothing to add. Just great, great, great. Taxi driveer, tu tu tu! - * * * *

''Chasing A Ghost'' - One of the songs sharing - in this record - that redundant ''Stay the Night'' rythmic section but, out of those 2, 3, it's the best for sure. I don't like the vocal effect used on the verses. The song is nothing special but the lyrics give something more to it. So still good. - * * *

''Body Bag'' - Something wants me to tell that I liked the movie's version better. But it's weird. 'Cause they're basically the same thing. So I won't say I don't love it anymore but... Maybe I'm stick to this song with this song stick to the movie (Ordinary World). So I'm not blaming anythingor everyone. I love it, still. - * * * *

''Love is for Losers'' - It's not my favourite song off the album but the lyrics, again, are pretty good. The whole song it's a mix of  ''Too Much Too Soon'' and ''Waiting'' so I can't say anything at all... Not bad but... I don't love it. - * *

''Cult Hero'' - I don't know how many times I said ''favourite''. But this is my favourite. Great chorus. To study for days. Billie Joe knows how to get gold from stones. And so we roll along his beautiful songs. Marvelous. - * * * *

''Kill Your Friends'' - Song n. 2 sharing that redundant ''Stay the Night'' rythmic section. The chorus too, this time. Nice verses, but it's not enough, you know it, Bill. - * *

''Happiness'' - Ahhhhh. This one is so clever. And smart. And anything related to - with the look and the brain - topic. Congrats Billie Joe, so jealous of your talent. My ratings are based on * * * * * stars. This one deserved 5 stars (or 5 *, Lol) but the bridge is pretty clichè-is compared the rest of the song. That's why. - * * * *

''Soul Surrender'' - Mh. I don't like it. It sounds like a trilogy. And I don't like the trilogy. Nice vocal armonies but... not to much for 3 minutes of music. I don't like the vocal filter in the verses, again. - * *

''Turn Me Loose'' - I love this one. Pretty simple chord pattern but, again, great melodies. And that's what Billie Joe does best. I love the chorus. Turn me loose but don't call me a loser. So funny. I like it, I like it, I like it! - * * *

''Goodbye to Romance'' - It's a cover so I don't know why to say. I don't like the song. And I don't like the cover. Sorry. - * *

OVERALL: * * * 1/2

A good record. Sometimes great. Sometimes clichè-is. But good, well written, played and sung, overall.

12 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Well I wanted to do one of my infamous long ass posts about every lyric in the songs but this album doesn't call for it.

The one thing I love about this album is it's the first Green Day album in what feels like a decade or more (I only just realized I typed Green Day album) because let's face it, it sounds like a Green Day album with people subbing for Mike and Tre.

The lyrics are fun and not really deep so there is a lot to break down if you want to get deep into it and Billie has a way of even making the most benign things seem poetic.  For instance, "Love is for Losers" is in itself has a couple meanings. It is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy if you really think about it. On it's own, the name sounds weak as fuck.  When I heard the title of the album was "Love is for Losers" I was like, "Really, that's the best they can come up with" but its actually clever. There are a lot of songs that have to do with love in this album.  Love and loss that is although the album never takes itself too seriously.  

Love almost ALWAYS ends badly.  It rarely works out until the end.  Through my years, I have found few and far between that manage to stay happy, I mean really happy throughout a lifetime with one partner.  That said, it can be done, but you have to change your thoughts about what love is.  You never meet the person you are going to date on the fist one, date that is.  Often you will find out that your partner will scar you, cheat you, steal from you, hurt you, smother you, but also nurture, care and love you.  But the trade off is love.  So you can take it a couple of ways.  Love is loss so love is for losers (as in those who lost something and loser in the derogatory sense of the word).  If you are dumb enough to get into something where you know you're gonna lose, you are a loser therefore Love is for Losers.  Sounds like a stretch but after 30 years of dissecting Billie's lyrics, I have become pretty good at picking that stuff up.  

I am going to be honest, at first I didn't love this album.  I thought it sounded too much like Green Day and they do but Billie has taken his love of 50s and 60s chord progressions and harmonies which in reality has been present all the way back to Sweet Children but has been really prevalent in the last decade.  There has always been a Beatles, Everly Brothers, Smokey Robinson, and even Bee Gees progressions in some of his writing (musically).  

The VERY first thing I thought of when I heard the opening track "The Last Time" which is one of my favorite tracks on the album was "Holy shit, that sounds exactly like the opening riff to 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' by The Beatles" and it does as the video below shows proof positive.

I was bored today and had some time on my hands and through this together in about 30-40 minutes.  I thought I was just gonna show the riff but I decided to just finish it. I thought about mashing it but then realized that would take all day. As it stands, this video starts to trail off towards the end as I got a little bored and wanted it to end.  So I am sorry about that.  The only thing with any real production value that I made was the outro but I made that for my company "Level 6 Creative" about 3 years ago so I made that but not today.

Without further ado, here is my fan video of "The Last Time" by The Longshot.  I can't believe I did this.  I am an official dork like the rest of you guys now.  I hope it doesn't suck.  There lip syncing could have been masterful if someone with some time and desire did it.  I sort of rushed. :-X  ... I also wanted to add some blur and TV noise to the Longshot clips but didn't.  Sorry for all the disclaimers but I am a perfectionist and I hate that I am putting this out in the world but when I was a 1/4 through, I had to finish.  

Edit: well I just found out by watching a YT video that Billie wrote this song for that musical he’s writing lyrics for and it’s suppsoed to sound like the Beatles so that explains that. Ha.

Incredibly insightful post as always, so I'm not going to rehash anything you said there- that was great. I'm just going to hijack your thread since I know you're part of the music industry and you know it as well as anyone else on this thread, and I would love your perspective.

Tickets for the RI show were $27.50 and I believe they were likely listed at a similar level for all shows. Assuming 500 capacity in RI (which is generous), that's about $10k gross. Granted, I'm sure the venue splits here are favorable since they're bringing in an outsized/ huge act, so let's make the really aggressive assumption they get to net the entire gate and the venue's take is only beverage and food (and this is not the norm)- that means $10k to cover travel, crew, etc. for this show. That's breakeven after factoring in these costs. I am not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but I would speculate that Billie wants to make sure Matika and the others are paid well for this tour- maybe at least a couple thousand a night. So now, with crew, band, etc. costs included Billie is personally in the red here. And yes, he can afford it, but how cool is that? If anything, Billie is making no money on this endeavor and I'm speculating he is knowingly subsidizing this to some level. That's cool. They sold these shows out in seconds, he could have charged $50, $75, $100 and the result would've been the same. Keep that in mind- Billie's paying us to play for us!

Also, I ran the inflation calculator and the ticket cost is LESS when adjusted for inflation than what they charged for Insomniac ($15/ arena) and Nimrod ($17/ club) around here. Again, no tears spilled for Billie since he's done well financially, but it's not lost on me. He treats us well.

I’m sure the merch helps him a bit (I’m assuming Billie is keeping those profits for himself since more than likely he’s the one paying for the merch) 

30 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

Incredibly insightful post as always, so I'm not going to rehash anything you said there- that was great. I'm just going to hijack your thread since I know you're part of the music industry and you know it as well as anyone else on this thread, and I would love your perspective.

Tickets for the RI show were $27.50 and I believe they were likely listed at a similar level for all shows. Assuming 500 capacity in RI (which is generous), that's about $10k gross. Granted, I'm sure the venue splits here are favorable since they're bringing in an outsized/ huge act, so let's make the really aggressive assumption they get to net the entire gate and the venue's take is only beverage and food (and this is not the norm)- that means $10k to cover travel, crew, etc. for this show. That's breakeven after factoring in these costs. I am not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but I would speculate that Billie wants to make sure Matika and the others are paid well for this tour- maybe at least a couple thousand a night. So now, with crew, band, etc. costs included Billie is personally in the red here. And yes, he can afford it, but how cool is that? If anything, Billie is making no money on this endeavor and I'm speculating he is knowingly subsidizing this to some level. That's cool. They sold these shows out in seconds, he could have charged $50, $75, $100 and the result would've been the same. Keep that in mind- Billie's paying us to play for us!

Also, I ran the inflation calculator and the ticket cost is LESS when adjusted for inflation than what they charged for Insomniac ($15/ arena) and Nimrod ($17/ club) around here. Again, no tears spilled for Billie since he's done well financially, but it's not lost on me. He treats us well.

I am in a rush because I want to go hang out with my daughter but you're dead on man.  You seem to know your stuff pretty well but the norm when booking a band at a club IN LOS ANGELES, and New York but it's different in Florida.  I know this because when I moved out here in 2005, I was floored by what the venues wanted.

I hate the Viper Room with a passion even though they are fixing themselves up so I will just tell you what their general rate is if you're just a band trying to make it.   They "tier" the bands and then based on the tier, the way you make your money is different.

A tier 1 band for example would be a struggling band opening for someone bigger who might be playing the main stage for the first time because they are building up a little following but no guarantee that people will show up.  Usually they will let you keep all if not, a minor split of the door.  They will only book you if they think you have a chance of bringing in drinks.

This is different for EDM events and shit because people eat Molly and then they don't drink so that's a different ball of wax but in general for a rock show at Viper, they will give you the door as long as you meet your quota for whatever is agreed upon, say 100 people or more (Viper actually have you tell the door WHO you are fucking there for so they can count per band. Its barbaric.).  It's pre-decided.  Then there is concession which is a pretty penny in Florida because if you have 5000 people at a venue and you split concession 80/20 which is the norm (80 to the house) and you keep all the door.  They make their money on the booze by a long shot.  A good bar's till art the end of the night should be at least 10k a bar (meaning if there are three bars, 30k is a minimum for a slightly successful night).  BUT, in Los Angeles, before they give you ANY concession, you have to meet their bar minimum which is, you guessed it 10k.  Now this is for your average promoter.  If you're a well known promoter, they will give you a better offer.  Because if you can't start making money after they make 10k, and you are a starving band, that sucks because you just brought them a hell of a lot of people and you will leave with nothing.  In other words, if you start collection concession after 10k, and you only get 20% of that, unless you are charging $20 at the door, you aint getting much.  Now these are for people that are not Billie Joe or Kevin or Jeff.  A bar can also make 20, 30 or more at a single bar.  Ask the Houston Brothers.

You are right that Jeff and Kevin are getting whatever money they are getting but there is a chance that nobody is getting money.   It might be going all to the venue.  Then again, you may be right. I don't know and wouldn't ask.

But when Green Day plays venues even like the Palladium, and those smaller venues, they aren't making dick compared to the Rose Bowl or any arena. That's where the money is made and it sucks for new comers because now the labels (since they don't sell records anymore) take a big cut of artists touring money which used to be not a thing. It used to be that was all artist and the sales were label but now there are no sales.  Bands that are grandfathered in like Green Day are making fucking bank when they tour like the RevRad tour, including the Jeff.  

Look at Paul McCartney's band.  They are some of the best musicians in the world and they are making 50k a show now, and 30k when they started.  That is a rarity though and I have NO IDEA how much money Jeff makes on tour so you are probably right that Billie is giving him a cut.  I mean when you are talking 300 people and 100 of them didn't pay, you are looking at bupkis UNLESS they demand (and they could) a 50/50 split on concession or even more as just bringing them is a HUGE feather in the cap.  If Billie asked, they could ask for every dollar and they would still book it but Billie doesn't operate that way.

He just loves to play.  He is feeling more musical then ever off of drugs and happy touring and feeling good and knowing he isn't getting younger and he has a fear of home for some reason.

Anyway, my wife is calling me and I've just spewed a whole bunch of shit and I don't have the time to go check it but there are so many possibilities that it wouldn't behoove me to guess how they are running the promotion but it's my guess that it's favorable to the venues and of course the fans.  If they really wanted to charge no money, they could, but they are so who knows?

5 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Just wanted to say that I think your analysis is spot on, really great piece of writing.

The more I think about what even a small tour like this involves, the more amazed I am that they’re even doing it.  

Considering what they stand to make at each small venue of around 500 cap (some combo of tickets, merch and concesions) they then have to cover costs of travel (airfare/bus rental and equipment shipping costs) crew (small but at a minimum they have Bill, Greg and Hans and maybe a couple roadies or security), hotels and food (judging by Kevin’s IG they stay in some pretty nice places), band (gotta make sure Peaches, Kitty and Gary get paid) and any other incidentals like equipment failure or unexpected costs.  

This is why the venue size has doubled — the expenses are the same if they play 200 cap venues but with half the income it really isn’t feasible.  They could cover their costs more easily by charging a bit more and/or playing 1,000-1,500 cap small theatres but they’re not doing that. They want to keep that club feel which is great.

Even still, this has to be costing Billie money but he does it because he loves it (and us). We should be super appreciative.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Even still, this has to be costing Billie money but he does it because he loves it (and us). We should be super appreciative.

This is another reason why he had that ''rant'' the other day. He could quite easily be resting right now like Mike and Tre... he doesn't ''have'' to give us music right now, but he is & that is a bonus. And the music the Longshot have put out is great. 

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The more I think about what even a small tour like this involves, the more amazed I am that they’re even doing it.  

Considering what they stand to make at each small venue of around 500 cap (some combo of tickets, merch and concesions) they then have to cover costs of travel (airfare/bus rental and equipment shipping costs) crew (small but at a minimum they have Bill, Greg and Hans and maybe a couple roadies or security), hotels and food (judging by Kevin’s IG they stay in some pretty nice places), band (gotta make sure Peaches, Kitty and Gary get paid) and any other incidentals like equipment failure or unexpected costs.  

This is why the venue size has doubled — the expenses are the same if they play 200 cap venues but with half the income it really isn’t feasible.  They could cover their costs more easily by charging a bit more and/or playing 1,000-1,500 cap small theatres but they’re not doing that. They want to keep that club feel which is great.

Funny you wrote this. I was randomly thinking about my above post and I forgot to say (and was coming to augment the post because) they are almost definitely giving most of the money made to roadies and the like.

As for travel costs, there is none other than paying their management to book it. Even Jeff will probably never have to pay to fly anywhere in the world ever again based on the points accumulated over the tours. One good global tour could get you enough points for travel for years and with all they have, they could fly first class for free every day.

For hotel, it’s similar but Billie is more likely to have things like SPG points where he could stay at the presidential suite or villa at a Hyatt 5 star and wouldn’t have to pay a dollar.  But I’m telling ya, none of them are materialistic to this day. 

I first met Mike and Tre at a music store in Tampa in early 90a and they were traveling in a straight up hooptie by some weird looking chick.  I think I’ve said this story here before. The car had no radio and Tre and Mike were in the back with a boom box on his fucking lap. Was hysterical. He was buying sticks.  Of course I had no idea that they were still poor as shit then but still. Total humility. 

God damn, I can never just post something short. I have ADD to the max but yeah, they don’t make shit off these small venues but they don’t just serve the purpose of making money now but they also serve the purpose of practice and learning what songs play well as they move to bigger venues.  It also helps management figure out what venues to go to.

Even with GD, before a new album, first they play a few pop up shows, then they do a mini-tour to figure out those things and then they book the world tour. That doesn’t happen with the side projects but that’s because Green Day gets in the way. I believe if he wanted to, he could build this band into an arena band but he won’t. I don’t think.

By the way, we never even mentioned money for the bands that open for them and there are two at the next show.  They wold probably pay to play which happens all the time in this fucking town.  Especially at the Whisky.  They do pay to play often and are not even trying to hide that fact.  It is a norm in the town but most venues don't like to say or offer it but the Whisky and Viper will.  Palladium, Fonda and Roxy are my favorite small venues for live music.  I think I saw the Frustrators at Troubadour once and I couldn't believe how many people were not there.  I know that here are so many people that would have loved to have been there just to chat with Mike who was, I swear, and this was 2011 running the march table at one point and I told him, "I can think of 100 people in my head that would love to be here right now just to speak to you".  Anyone at that show?  It was half fucking empty.

I am lucky enough to have attended a lot of pop up shows for a lot of bands and while it’s a fun unique experience, I still prefer a spectacle (like Milton). That’s just me though, not even most.

Prince was infamous for playing house parties and shit and would do weird fucking things. The stories that I hear about him are nothing compared to some of the strange shit I’ve seen with mine own eyes.

So the love of playing and the reasons to do it are the payment for people like BJA.

IN REALITY, he doesn’t even need to play another major tour where he makes 100s of thousands on ever show because he’s got Fuck You money. 

How about Billy Joel? He is independently worth about a half billion dollars. Basically the Joel family name will be rich for many generations off his catalog and actual money but he been setting the record at MSG for sold out shows and longest residency at a major venue at I think now 71 shows or something in a row. It’s crazy.

So the small shows and the large ones monetarily for Billie doesn’t matter. He doesn’t do it for the money. Didn’t when he had no money and doesn’t now that he has more money than most people on this planet. I think they are each worth 10s of millions or more.  And that catalog will keep his family and their families wealthy for generations.

Also, watch my video I made. Was trying to show the opening riffs but ended up using the archival Beatles footage and and the lone Longshot video (should have used the live stuff) to finish it but it took a half hour as it stands. Sort of like this post is nearing for fucks sake. Seriously like 10 mins. There is a message to the fam at the end of the vid. Check out Kevin bouncing like Ringo. And again, sorry I was lazy on it but I enjoy it. :)

On 4/25/2018 at 6:37 AM, J a c said:

I’m quite sure it’s “and the afterlife”. 

I'm not a rebel for my pride, just for the record and [for] the afterlife (Haha)

What the heck does "not a rebel for my pride"  mean?   

In fact, what are most of these songs about? 

The Last Time and Chasing a Ghost are easy to follow.  But the rest - ???????

Finally listened to the album in its entirety the other day (plus Devil's Kind)

Oh.... that gave me great joy. I'm glad everyone attending the shows and watching footage can see the song being performed again after the Tribeca Film Festival session.

When it comes to the album itself, I definitely enjoyed the majority of it. The song that I was not crazy about is Body Bag.
I quite enjoyed Taxi Driver, Soul Surrender, and Chasing a Ghost. Kill Your Friends was a nice track to listen to as well.

Time to learn these tracks before the shows!

• Hermione changed the title to Longshot album Love is for Losers

Archived