Longshot album Love is for Losers

Eric

1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I've learned to get over Billie's grammar issues ever since I realized he can't spell his own setlists ("Hitchen" a Ride) and says "and I could really care less" in Jesus of Suburbia. I'll let him slide since he's cute. :lol: 

50 minutes ago, Montclare said:

He also pronounces hyena oddly.

The "could care less" in JOS and Ashley is the one grammatical error I can't overlook. Well, that and the constant verb tense changes in When It's Time. The rest he can get away with. Because he's cute. :)

He never learned to read or write so well.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

But I could care less as long it hurts like hell.

1 hour ago, squashie09 said:

Can you not burn your own discs? I play everything through my iPod via a FM transmitter because the laser in my cd player went out.

I can and have but the quality isn't as good. I like to buy all Green Day related albums but if I don't get a CD to play instead of having to burn one myself and album artwork and a booklet etc.....not so much.

2 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I've learned to get over Billie's grammar issues ever since I realized he can't spell his own setlists ("Hitchen" a Ride) and says "and I could really care less" in Jesus of Suburbia. I'll let him slide since he's cute. :lol: 

That’s unforgivable. And thankfully I’m not the only one that notices these things :lol:

47 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

He didn’t even write that line himself. That was a copy and paste from Johnny B Goode

15 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I can and have but the quality isn't as good. I like to buy all Green Day related albums but if I don't get a CD to play instead of having to burn one myself and album artwork and a booklet etc.....not so much.

Understandable. I really wanted to buy a physical copy of RevRad but I have no where to play except my computer, which is pointless because I would have just ripped it into my itunes, so digital it was. I wish the digital version came with a book download like 21CB does.

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Same. My computer is empty. Thanks @Spotify but... the record is the record.

1 hour ago, Alan86 said:

That’s unforgivable. And thankfully I’m not the only one that notices these things :lol:

He didn’t even write that line himself. That was a copy and paste from Johnny B Goode

He openly referenced a classic line in order to put a personal spin on it ("Who never ever learned to read or write so well/But he could play the guitar just like a ringing a bell" --> "I never learned to read and write so well/But I can play the guitar until it hurts like hell"), it's not really a copy and paste :P 

1 hour ago, squashie09 said:

Understandable. I really wanted to buy a physical copy of RevRad but I have no where to play except my computer, which is pointless because I would have just ripped it into my itunes, so digital it was. I wish the digital version came with a book download like 21CB does.

I'm just old and still listen to CDs when I'm at home, and would also enjoy just having the physical CD design/artwork (and a lyric book!).

Yeah I'm the same with CDs. I still buy them because I like having have physical versions of my music and I want the artbook and lyrics. Maybe if digital copies were half the price I'd do it more often, but seeing as they're about as much as a CD, I'd rather just get that or spend a little more and get the vinyl. 

Yeah and also like, I've bought every Green Day + side project album on CD and would like a full set please :P. I mean just having the album is fantastic and I can live without it but just saying I'd so buy it if they released one!

I only became a superfan in the age of digital so I instantly had a complete record collection via Spotify and now that’s all I need. I do miss the days of vinyl though with big photos, art, lyrics and liner notes. I agree though Spotify should have official lyrics you can click on and view (or downloadable through iTunes)

I'm not even all that into The Longshot right now, but I'd buy the album on CD! I need it for my collection >_>

1 hour ago, Alan86 said:

I mean yeah, he borrowed from it. But copy and paste, it was not. And so what if he did? My post was meant to be silly!

36 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah and also like, I've bought every Green Day + side project album on CD and would like a full set please :P. I mean just having the album is fantastic and I can live without it but just saying I'd so buy it if they released one!

Yeah, my Green Day ,,experience‘‘ started with a physical cd copy of American Idiot more than a decade ago and I don’t intend to give up my tradition of also buying every subsequent GD release on cd any time soon. It’s just a different thing all together to have a physical copy in your hands (vinyl records of course same thing) and usually the overall quality is marginally better too (though there are better file formats, from high quality to uncompressed on digital downloads too).

15 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

I mean yeah, he borrowed from it. But copy and paste, it was not. And so what if he did? My post was meant to be silly!

My comment was also being silly. I wasn't actually accusing Billie of ripping off Chuck Berry. 

I have so many thoughts on this album and not enough will to live to articulate them all :cry:  I'm currently at that equally loved/hated phase of getting into a great album where I'm constantly singing/humming some line or other to myself during the day. Dem hooks boi :wub: Also: Kill Your Friends - Happiness - Soul Surrender - Turn Me Loose is one hell of a sequence. I haven't even listened to the soundcloud stuff yet, can't put this away.

12 hours ago, jengd said:

I thought it was I’m the afterlife?  Still not sure, is it dumb tattoos? I love “ turn me lose but don’t call me a loser”, very Billie Joe to make a word play and reference the title of the album too.  The laugh too, I love this,  got it on repeat :dance:that’s me in the kitchen to this song :lol:

Wow, loser = losers, my slow brain didn't even catch that. Billie u fuck.

12 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I totally get the sad feeling from the album. It's not even that much in what he's singing but the vibe it gives off. They're not actually sad songs but they make me feel a bit :cry:

Same though, some are obviously sadder than others but there's definitely a vibe.

I fucking love Happiness, it sounds super melancholy and that little escalating guitar lick thing (?) in the middle of the chorus (right before "see you when..") for example is to die for. On top of the sound of it I just went to actually check the lyrics, usually prefer to figure them out slowly only by listening. At the first few listens I was like "aw, Joey plays on it and he talks about sanctuary town and happiness and it's like a cute little thing about loving your family", but wow the words are pretty gloomy. Is it giving anyone else associations to BOBD?? (stream of consciousness analysis alert, feel like I'm back in school lol)

Firstly, 1st verse takes me back to Billie's speeches during BOBD on tour last year about the freaks and weirdos ("church of broken hearts") coming together ("congregation for the after dark") either literally after dark as in the atmosphere of a GD show or as a break from/ending to your real life mess (#stillbreathing anyone?) and all the bullshit in the world as he puts it. "My love is reaching for a higher ground", your love leads you up and away from the lonely road and towards that escape, "my sanctuary town". Then there's the association "broken dreams" --> "broken hearts", and "lonely road" --> "lonely avenue". Second verse there's the car. It's spinning/broken down like literally in the BOBD video, as well as a metaphor for being stuck, "that sinking feeling on a floating bridge" is knowing you're fucked, or sinking, depsite clinging onto that something good for who knows how long. See also: "riding shotgun in a car that's broken down" in LIFL; yeah you've got a good seat but you're still going down in the end.

I need more time with the chorus (something something "see you when the war [in your head/life/world] is over" ie "when hell freezes over" ie, again, nope you're just fucked, never getting to the sanctuary town) and the bridge. I'm sure I'll get there with time and vinyl but I AM LOVING just the fact that he writes lines full of "hidden" stuff like that, throwbacks and picking up threads from other songs. And there's so much on this album to work on and discover. :wub:

9 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Which makes no sense. It sounds like he says tears are crying, sort of like how he says “the air is barely breathing” in Revolution Radio. Air doesn’t breathe. It’s breathable. 

It's been mentioned already but I too hear that as an implied "I'm crying". But even if it's not that's my favouite thing about his lyrics, doesn't have to make perfect sense as long as it conjures up an image. I actually tend to fall for those weird lines in particular, they're fun. :happy:

31 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

I have so many thoughts on this album and not enough will to live to articulate them all :cry:  I'm currently at that equally loved/hated phase of getting into a great album where I'm constantly singing/humming some line or other to myself during the day. Dem hooks boi :wub: Also: Kill Your Friends - Happiness - Soul Surrender - Turn Me Loose is one hell of a sequence. I haven't even listened to the soundcloud stuff yet, can't put this away.

Same though, some are obviously sadder than others but there's definitely a vibe.

I fucking love Happiness, it sounds super melancholy and that little escalating guitar lick thing (?) in the middle of the chorus (right before "see you when..") for example is to die for. On top of the sound of it I just went to actually check the lyrics, usually prefer to figure them out slowly only by listening. At the first few listens I was like "aw, Joey plays on it and he talks about sanctuary town and happiness and it's like a cute little thing about loving your family", but wow the words are pretty gloomy. Is it giving anyone else associations to BOBD?? (stream of consciousness analysis alert, feel like I'm back in school lol)

Firstly, 1st verse takes me back to Billie's speeches during BOBD on tour last year about the freaks and weirdos ("church of broken hearts") coming together ("congregation for the after dark") either literally after dark as in the atmosphere of a GD show or as a break from/ending to your real life mess (#stillbreathing anyone?) and all the bullshit in the world as he puts it. "My love is reaching for a higher ground", your love leads you up and away from the lonely road and towards that escape, "my sanctuary town". Then there's the association "broken dreams" --> "broken hearts", and "lonely road" --> "lonely avenue". Second verse there's the car. It's spinning/broken down like literally in the BOBD video, as well as a metaphor for being stuck, "that sinking feeling on a floating bridge" is knowing you're fucked, or sinking, depsite clinging onto that something good for who knows how long. See also: "riding shotgun in a car that's broken down" in LIFL; yeah you've got a good seat but you're still going down in the end.

I need more time with the chorus (something something "see you when the war [in your head/life/world] is over" ie "when hell freezes over" ie, again, nope you're just fucked, never getting to the sanctuary town) and the bridge. I'm sure I'll get there with time and vinyl but I AM LOVING just the fact that he writes lines full of "hidden" stuff like that, throwbacks and picking up threads from other songs. And there's so much on this album to work on and discover. :wub:

It's been mentioned already but I too hear that as an implied "I'm crying". But even if it's not that's my favouite thing about his lyrics, doesn't have to make perfect sense as long as it conjures up an image. I actually tend to fall for those weird lines in particular, they're fun. :happy:

I loved reading your analysis. Right now I'm too sleepy to bang out my own but it would be similar anyway. I just want to say that I agree 100% that it's really cool how his songs are conected and full of parallels. Someone might say that he's just repeating himself but in my opinion it's mostly fun to see the same symbols and metaphors used differently & it makes his lyrics read like a continuous story.

I think the chorus of Chasing A Ghost describes a very specific feeling and in that meaning it's actually quite literal. It's that weird kind of sadness/loneliness/feeling awkward and like an outcast that you get at a party when you feel like you don't belong while everybody else is having a good time and you know there's nothing you can do about it. "I got the tears" simply means "I'm sad" and "crying my soul" is a perfect description of that kind of sadness the whole song is about. He's not actually crying, it's just an internal feeling. In the end he walks away from the party realizing he doesn't belong there. For me this is exactly how I felt on many nights out but the same thing probably applies to not fitting in at other social situations

6 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I loved reading your analysis. Right now I'm too sleepy to bang out my own but it would be similar anyway. I just want to say that I agree 100% that it's really cool how his songs are conected and full of parallels. Someone might say that he's just repeating himself but in my opinion it's mostly fun to see the same symbols and metaphors used differently & it makes his lyrics read like a continuous story.

I think the chorus of Chasing A Ghost describes a very specific feeling and in that meaning it's actually quite literal. It's that weird kind of sadness/loneliness/feeling awkward and like an outcast that you get at a party when you feel like you don't belong while everybody else is having a good time and you know there's nothing you can do about it. "I got the tears" simply means "I'm sad" and "crying my soul" is a perfect description of that kind of sadness the whole song is about. He's not actually crying, it's just an internal feeling. In the end he walks away from the party realizing he doesn't belong there. For me this is exactly how I felt on many nights out but the same thing probably applies to not fitting in at other social situations

YES I agree on Chasing a Ghost! And I think the line "thanks for the company but I'm still standing alone" (potential all time top-something for me personally) sums up what you're saying about not fitting in - although I initially read it as a "there are nice things/people but in the end we're all forever alone" type of thing (I mean, #relatable af amirite). Aargh Billie you make my head hurt but I love you.

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

I like to get music on cd's also, but quite often I will buy from  itunes on release, then get cd when it drops in price.  Some albums I also have on vinyl, but that's not so handy to play.  As I have Bluetooth on the car stereo, I can listen right away ( Like on the way to work last Friday for instance).  Loving most of the tracks, except Body bag, weird sounds seem to come through the car stereo!!, which puts me off it a bit.

22 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

YES I agree on Chasing a Ghost! And I think the line "thanks for the company but I'm still standing alone" (potential all time top-something for me personally) sums up what you're saying about not fitting in - although I initially read it as a "there are nice things/people but in the end we're all forever alone" type of thing (I mean, #relatable af amirite). Aargh Billie you make my head hurt but I love you.

Yes, it makes sense that way too. He seems to write like this on purpose, there isn't one correct interpretation to most of his writing imo

@herewegoagain I love Happiness so much and loved reading your analysis of it :wub: It almost sounds like a happy song if you were oblivious to the lyrics, but the way Billie sings the verses gives it that melancholy feel, and the lyrics offer so much to imagination and interpretation, I especially love the line "that sinking feeling on a floating bridge".
The main thing I take from the song is that he's contemplating what "being happy" and "being lonely" means - that it can mean very different things to different people,  which can cause you to feel alone and isolated and create misunderstandings in relationships ("I'm in a church of broken hearts", "on a lonely avenue... my ride is running late or I'm too soon"), and these are very hard to overcome since they're based on emotions ("see you when the war is over" - see you when we finally accept our differences and reconcile with our feelings, "someday when hell freezes over" - it probably won't ever happen). He's looking for "a sanctuary town", wants his love to "reach higher ground", but it seems impossible because of these differences, so he's asking "how lonely is you lonely" - he is trying hard to understand the other person, the other point of view. The more I listen, the more I love everything about the song.

1 hour ago, herewegoagain said:

The whole record is a concept about cars*.

*broken

23 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

The whole record is a concept about cars*.

*broken

Not sure if you’re being facetious but there are car metaphors throughout the whole thing so I think you’re right (not that it’s about cars but in terms of symbolism you know) Interesting.

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

Not sure if you’re being facetious but there are car metaphors throughout the whole thing so I think you’re right (not that it’s about cars but in terms of symbolism you know) Interesting.

I'll be honest. I was about to make a joke but then I realized that cars are very present in the album. Also on the cover, Lol Thanks :P

• Hermione changed the title to Longshot album Love is for Losers

Archived