BeachBum

The Longshot - 2018/04/13 - 1-2-3-4 Go! Records, Oakland, California, USA

Todd
24 minutes ago, Alf said:

the video, at least in this song, seems preety clear to me, those people spoted on the camera are barely moving, and that's sad to see

I wouldn't say it's sad. It's to be expected. They had the same problem at the Tiki Bar show in 2011. People aren't going to dance/sing along when they're hearing something they've never heard before. Everyone was paying close attention, trying to take in each new song and process them for the first time.

Devil's Kind has never been released. It's a known song to some of us, but not to the majority of people. 

• Like 4

desertrose

blueshadows

Nice that we officially know who the members are.

I was surprised when I thought it was a solo project.

Matt.
1 hour ago, blueshadows said:

Nice that we officially know who the members are.

I was surprised when I thought it was a solo project.

I think it is a solo project, but the other guys are the live band. One of the 7" says "All songs by Billie Joe Armstrong. Engineered by Chris Dugan." No mention of the other guys.

• Like 4

Sunshinelove

Has anyone seen a video of The Beatles cover song I don’t want to stop the party?

• Like 1

god61
2 hours ago, Matt. said:

I think it is a solo project, but the other guys are the live band. One of the 7" says "All songs by Billie Joe Armstrong. Engineered by Chris Dugan." No mention of the other guys.

So there is a 7" for the EP?

Alf
9 minutes ago, god61 said:

So there is a 7" for the EP?

No, the 7" doesn't have Chasing a Ghost, so it's a different release

Sarcasm

So who is in this band?

• Like 1

dirnt286
5 hours ago, Todd said:

People aren't going to dance/sing along when they're hearing something they've never heard before. Everyone was paying close attention, trying to take in each new song and process them for the first time.

I agree, I would have been the same. Listening intently but still moving to some degree. But I wouldn't be bouncing up and down, but I don't know the groove or the song yet.

Man it is times like this I miss living in Berkeley. Now I live in Boston and I just can't get to these things any more. All those Cover Ups shows at the Ivy Room in Albany were a block from my old apartment. When I lived there i kept thinking "Wonder if Green Day would play any secret shows here?" :D

Matt.
1 hour ago, Sarcasm said:

So who is in this band?

The live band has Billie on guitar and vocals, Jeff Matika on bass and vocals, Kevin Preston (Prima Donna) on guitar, and David Field (Prima Donna) on drums.

AlissaGoesRAWR
7 hours ago, Todd said:

I wouldn't say it's sad. It's to be expected. 

And sometimes you really can't tell the vibe of a show from a video. In the smaller venues it may not look like people are moving because they're wedged together so tightly they can't move! At the Fillmore in Detroit I was literally suspended in the air for several minutes because people squeezed on either side of my shoulders were holding me up. I was concerned about breathing, not dancing! :lol: 

• Like 1

Todd
2 hours ago, Alf said:

No, the 7" doesn't have Chasing a Ghost, so it's a different release

I wouldn't say it's a different release. It's no different than some versions of the Know Your Enemy single having Hearts Collide and some don't. 

4 hours ago, Sunshinelove said:

Has anyone seen a video of The Beatles cover song I don’t want to stop the party?

They didn't play the last three songs on the setlist apparently

That Dude

Anyone got a complete set list?  Every time I think I've seen the legit one, I see a live video of them playing somethinge else.   Did they or didn't they play Kiss Me Deadly????

10 hours ago, desertrose said:
Spoiler

Did anyone at the show get a really good look at this guy?  Look closely at his eyes.....

Also, between some of the songs if you listened closely, you could hear the accent coming out just a little bit.  His American accent isn't quite right.....  

Ladies and Gentlemen........that's not Billie Joe Armstrong.  

That is Fink from the Network! 

desertrose

The Longshot Live at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland 04-13-18

In case you missed the news, Billie Joe Armstrong recently announced that he has a new side project band called The Longshot and the band just released a new self-titled EP with three songs.

Over the last few weeks, Billie Joe Armstrong revealed in a series of posts on his personal Instagram account that he was launching a new band called The Longshot. Shortly after a Longshot Instagram account was also created to give fans a preview of their upcoming new album called “Love Is For Losers.”

A release date for “Love Is For Losers” has yet to be revealed, however, the band’s Instagram bio says it’s “coming eventually sooner or later. Probably sooner.” In the meantime, us fans can enjoy their debut EP, consisting of three songs “Love Is for Losers,” “Taxi Driver” and “Chasing A Ghost” all of which are out and available for streaming or download now.

Yesterday I was working late at 107.7 The Bone and while sitting at my desk I saw some Instagram posts from Billie Joe Armstrong saying The Longshot was playing a show at Thee Parkside next Tuesday. I was able to buy a couple tickets and thought to myself this is awesome I can’t wait to see and be apart of The Longshot’s first show next week, but later on in the evening I saw another Instagram post that announced The Longshot were going to be playing a surprise show within a couple hours at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland. After seeing this news I debated on going over there or not, one because I already had tickets for next week’s show and two, I anticipated the record store to be crowded by the time I got over there. Since I live in Alameda, I was like I’ll drive by and see how it looks, once I got into Oakland and drove by the record store, to my surprise the store and sidewalk area looked very quiet and empty. I told myself if I see a parking spot open near by then I’ll walk in and as if it was my destiny to go to this show I found a spot across the street. I walked inside the store, the guy at the counter told me the show wasn’t sold out and to head to the back where the stage was. The room was full but still room to fill a few more people, I bought a ticket for the show and hung out in the store to kill some time before The Longshot hit the stage.

After some time passed I heard the crowd cheering so I walked back inside the stage room and saw Billie Joe Armstrong and the rest of the guys from The Longshot on stage. Finally, after weeks of speculation we got to see who the rest of the mystery band members, of course, Billie Joe Armstrong on vocals and guitar, Jeff Matika on bass, Kevin Preston on guitar and David Field on drums. For Green Day fans, we all know Jeff Matika as apart of their live band. Kevin Preston and David Field are from Prima Donna, also Kevin is in Foxboro Hot Tubs, Green Day’s other side project band with Billoe Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool, Jason White and Jason Freese.

Billie Joe said hello to the crowd and introduce themselves as The Longshot and they kicked off their set with “Kill Your Friends” a song from their upcoming debut album. Since I was exhausted from a long day at the radio station I lucked out by posting up against the wall in the back. I looked around the room and saw a lot of people with their phones out documenting the first song performed live by The Longshot at their first show. Everyone in attendance began to bob their head up and down, tapping their feet and some were dancing. The Longshot’s sound pays homage to the great punk rock/post-punk bands of the 80s, catchy up-beat love songs that make you wanna dance. I wonder if these new songs Billie Joe wrote were inspired from the songs Billie Joe recently covered with his other recent side project The Coverups. The Longshot played some covers as well, including David Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust” and The Nerves “Walking Out On Love.” The cover songs the band performed were same ones Billie Joe’s played recently with The Coverups, which I saw twice in concert earlier this year. The Longshot also covered Green Day’s “Fell For You.”

Overall, it was a very fun set and loved how intimate the show felt in the backroom of 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland. I can’t wait to hear the full album when it comes out in the near future. On the way out I bought their limited edition 7″ picture disc. Thank you to The Longshot for a great, last minute night out. I’ll see you again next Tuesday.

http://www.1077thebone.com/2018/04/14/the-longshot-live-at-1-2-3-4-go-records-in-oakland-04-13-18/

iScottie

AdmiralNeeda appears to have uploaded the entire concert. Man I'd love to have been there. BJA seems to get younger and younger the older he gets.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrShHQeTPs3Z2fqSc4KChpw

I badly want an official cover of this.

• Like 2

greendepent

Good to hear the new stuff. I believe that Billie Joe wanted to release those songs as Green Day, but as the most were written for the trilogy, they had some kind of bad mojo. I mean, Kill Your Friends, among others, is clearly a Green Day type song. Also, Mike and Tré are enjoying family time, so Billie had to make Longshot to help his restless heart syndrome.

That Dude

Watching the Turn me Loose live footage and was blown away by what I discovered.  

Before the song, the lead singer introduces the band, finally revealing their real names!!!!!

Peaches - on guitar

Kitty - on drums

Diesel - on vocals 

Gary - on bass

• Thanks 1

desertrose

desertrose

• Like 1

desertrose

LaughingClock

I have snippets here and there from the side near Kevin. Should I post those?

pacejunkie punk
7 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

I have snippets here and there from the side near Kevin. Should I post those?

Of course you should please and thank you

Reverend Twitch
On 4/13/2018 at 9:59 PM, gaslight13 said:

Can you confirm who was on drums? That's the only person I couldn't see in photos, etc.

The Drummer's name is David Feild. He and Kevin (other guitarist) both play in the band Prima Donna. Kevin also plays in Foxboro Hot Tubes 

gaslight13
2 hours ago, Reverend Twitch said:

The Drummer's name is David Feild. He and Kevin (other guitarist) both play in the band Prima Donna. Kevin also plays in Foxboro Hot Tubes 

Thanks, I'm good.  I've since been to a handful of Longshot shows and am very familiar with them now, haha. Seeing their band on Friday.