'The Longshot' - Debut self-titled EP

Second favourite son

2 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Those bands are entertaining for sure.  But what if MIke and Tre both did 'solo' projects while Billie does The Longshot?

Tre Cool has some non-goofy songs in him, I just know it!  Imagine a Cool-lead ballad!  

And Mike has already proven his song-crafting ability with several great Green Day tunes under his belt.  

I would definitely be one of the 7 people on the planet that would buy a copy the day they came out.  

Mike Dirnt would have a punchier sound than Green Day, (oh I just remembered I forgot Governator on my list of Mike songs!)    Perhaps it would be a bridge between The Network and Green Day.  

Tre Cool would have a more comedic album, but some serious elements bleeding in.  Maybe political stuff delivered in jokey ways.   They all seem to have a great sense of humor.   

Anyway.  

This EP is great from beginning to end and I cannot wait to get the whole album.  I will definitely be using Listen to You Tube  to create my own disc as soon as all the songs are out - and of course will buy a real copy the day it hits shelves.  Maybe two.  

I believe they JUST played the Tiki Bar I BELIEVE.

Not my bag or I woulda gone. Dead Mermaids, Tre:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

I believe they JUST played the Tiki Bar I BELIEVE.

Not my bag or I woulda gone. Dead Mermaids, Tre:

Yeah, that's not really my bag either....but hey, no one could complain that it sounds like Green Day!

So today I made a cd of the Longshot songs we've gotten so far and live versions of the rest.  I took a trip to the lake and blasted it the whole way.  

I cannot wait to hear the studio versions of every single one.  They sound brilliant.  Each one has it's own little style.  

Here's my ranking of both ones that are online and  the ones we've only heard live:   

Devil's Kind - if it's anything like the one from before, it's probably my favorite.  

Love is for Losers - I'm a loser for this song!

Chasing a Ghost - this song is so relatable.  

Taxi Driver - unique!

Body Bag - definitely a departure in sound.  Very cool lyrics

Kill Your Friends - This is my least favorite, although it's not bad.  I just can't understand a lot of what he is singing. Once I figure out the lyrics and sing along I'm sure I'll like it more, but as for now it's not on repeat like the rest.  

The Rest:

Happiness - This is the one I'm most excited to hear not live.   Freaking amazing.  

Soul Surrender - this one could end up being one of my all time favorites.

Last Time - sounds like The Beatles so what could go wrong? 

Cult Hero, Turn me Loose and Goodbye to Romance are at the bottom of my list.  The first two sound good, I just haven't got a decent feel for them yet.  I'll have to wait and see on those.   And honestly I don't really like the original Goodbye to Romance, so I don't know where that leaves the cover.  It could be better.  

Edited by Hermione
Please remove videos from quotes

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I miss the Longshot so bad. Remember that time they did that small club/bar tour and for some reason ended up playing in a church basement with Gymboree foam pads on the stage? That was rad. I miss the Longshot. The songs and the shows were amazing. I hope they come back. With Greg Schneider on bass since Del Gatos covered Longshot and Green Day and Upsidedowners and Zigzag Hearts seem to be doing more than nothing and does the Coverups have a new bass player (guitar player rather I’m thinking bass but it’s guitar) or something? That’s a hardworking guy and probably a good influence on awesome projects. So many good people in that Green Day camp. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I miss the Longshot so bad. Remember that time they did that small club/bar tour and for some reason ended up playing in a church basement with Gymboree foam pads on the stage? That was rad. I miss the Longshot. The songs and the shows were amazing. I hope they come back. With Greg Schneider on bass since Del Gatos covered Longshot and Green Day and Upsidedowners and Zigzag Hearts seem to be doing more than nothing and does the Coverups have a new bass player (guitar player rather I’m thinking bass but it’s guitar) or something? That’s a hardworking guy and probably a good influence on awesome projects. So many good people in that Green Day camp. 

The dressing room at that show was the church preschool 😂 and there was a gospel choir singing upstairs. Billie loved it (apart from the heat).  A punk venue in a church basement is as underground as it gets.

I’m surprised he hasn’t scheduled a show in Oakland yet, particularly for the Upside Downers who they were hyping months ago.  And on top of all those bands, Jason suggested that Pinhead Gunpowder might do something but no word on that yet either.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The dressing room at that show was the church preschool 😂 and there was a gospel choir singing upstairs. Billie loved it (apart from the heat).  A punk venue in a church basement is as underground as it gets.

I’m surprised he hasn’t scheduled a show in Oakland yet, particularly for the Upside Downers who they were hyping months ago.  And on top of all those bands, Jason suggested that Pinhead Gunpowder might do something but no word on that yet either.

That was the show it was so hot he had to sit on a little chair? So hot (heat wise) he had to sit on a little chair and he said it was ok because he was short. I think I saw a clip of that somewhere. But omg that’s a surprising/underground venue for sure! 😆 

Hmm 🤔 I wonder what’s going to happen. I wouldn’t mind if the Upsidedowners got up to something. Greg in the band = motivation, excitement to do shows and great videos etc I bet. They’re all together on tour etc and live near each other and work together a lot I wonder if there’s something up ❤️ I wouldn’t mind a revamped Longshot. That band = everything.  But something new could be great too.

Everyone has been quiet and what was up with that Coverups post? It looks like nothing happened but it doesn’t mean there wasn’t something potentially in the works or happening again at some point.

If anyone hears anything please post to the GDC ASAP :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

That was the show it was so hot he had to sit on a little chair? So hot (heat wise) he had to sit on a little chair and he said it was ok because he was short. I think I saw a clip of that somewhere. But omg that’s a surprising/underground venue for sure! 😆 

Hmm 🤔 I wonder what’s going to happen. I wouldn’t mind if the Upsidedowners got up to something. Greg in the band = motivation, excitement to do shows and great videos etc I bet. They’re all together on tour etc and live near each other and work together a lot I wonder if there’s something up ❤️ I wouldn’t mind a revamped Longshot. That band = everything.  But something new could be great too.

Everyone has been quiet and what was up with that Coverups post? It looks like nothing happened but it doesn’t mean there wasn’t something potentially in the works or happening again at some point.

If anyone hears anything please post to the GDC ASAP :) 

Yes that was the show where we almost died 🥵🥵🥵 He sat on a drum stool for Body Bag inches from me and also took a five minute break in the middle of the set (“I can’t breathe!”) I don’t remember the short comment. Lee or someone ran out to get the band sports drinks and ice tea bottles and they cut out the encores.  It made it a one of a kind show at least and they guys all get mad respect for persevering.  I was getting crushed against the stage by the end of Chasing A Ghost so a kid who saw me pulled me up out of there on to the stage and I danced in front of David’s drums for the rest of the song along with a ton of other people (I had a hand on Hans’ back for support I was getting pushed into the drums and he was crouched down trying to hold them in place) Ended up with bruises across my thighs and one on my face from a crowd surfer’s boot.  Chuck from the Trashbags kept stage diving on us with his sweaty shirtless body. I was kind of hoping Billie would do the same but no luck. Glad I got to help catch him in DC the week before.  What memories ❤️ 

• Love 2

49 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yes that was the show where we almost died 🥵🥵🥵 He sat on a drum stool for Body Bag inches from me and also took a five minute break in the middle of the set (“I can’t breathe!”) I don’t remember the short comment. Lee or someone ran out to get the band sports drinks and ice tea bottles and they cut out the encores.  It made it a one of a kind show at least and they guys all get mad respect for persevering.  I was getting crushed against the stage by the end of Chasing A Ghost so a kid who saw me pulled me up out of there on to the stage and I danced in front of David’s drums for the rest of the song along with a ton of other people (I had a hand on Hans’ back for support I was getting pushed into the drums and he was crouched down trying to hold them in place) Ended up with bruises across my thighs and one on my face from a crowd surfer’s boot.  Chuck from the Trashbags kept stage diving on us with his sweaty shirtless body. I was kind of hoping Billie would do the same but no luck. Glad I got to help catch him in DC the week before.  What memories ❤️ 

That’s madness. Sounds like a beautiful experience. ❤️

Mad respect indeed. Love the band for doing this. Love everyone for this. Respect for the fans too looking out for each other and the band and crew and staff and venues. Truly memorable and magical ❤️ Billie Joe Armstrong brings out a lot of good in people, means so much and is inspiring, the songs mean a lot to a lot of people, the shows bring it all together and it’s fun too ❤️ the Longshot even on a basic level bring a much needed spotlight to small venues that often struggle. That’s amazing. I really hope the next Longshot tour they have a local band that is not very well known (eg. no radio play etc) from the city they’re in open the show. That would be icing on the cake of perfection. Supporting a small venue and a small absolutely local band would add some really special flavor and variety to the shows.

I know I said it up in previous comments but for sure the Longshot are the heroes we need (or at least I do but pretty sure I’m not alone in missing them) especially when we get through all of this (pandemic etc). It’s been years since the Longshot tour and still remember little bits like it was a fairytale ❤️ A wild sweaty potentially dangerous heat exhaustion overcrowded fairytale but at least a special once in lifetime experience even at every show. Every show was different with so much fan interaction and meant a lot to so many different people. We were all there and a part of it in someway or another even if it was just hearing the awesome stories and catching the videos and being able to comment and ask questions in the livestreams for people to take part in from all over the world. It’s something so special. It’s a piece of rock’n’roll history. Instagram was a blessing for this. I hope it can all happen again once the dust settles.

One more year of Hella Mega which is a different kind of special experience but kinda feels like going through the motions of being an epic machine with a template for each show. So big it needs to be run very well not like those beautiful messy Longshot shows. Who knows what’s happening behind the scenes and what’s cooking. It's pretty exciting (even though nothing has happened 😆). But history speaks volumes… Pretty much hoping and counting on something…

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/10/2021 at 5:35 AM, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

This show was one of the best I've seen in my life. Such a crazy night and the heat level in that room was INSANE. Never experienced anything like it at a show before. I would kill for him to do that again. 

• Like 3

I finally grabbed a copy of the album on vinyl moreso for collection purposes than I want the album 😂

Still don't get the hype for Longshot

#TheNetworkForever

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

I finally grabbed a copy of the album on vinyl moreso for collection purposes than I want the album 😂

Still don't get the hype for Longshot

#TheNetworkForever

Kevin's side eying you right now.

• Haha 3