'The Longshot' - Debut self-titled EP

Second favourite son

31 minutes ago, Todd said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but it’s been confirmed that the 7” is limited to 1000 copies :) 

Not sure if this has been said or not, but does the 7" contain the full album, or the E.P. ?

1 minute ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I know Taxi Driver hasn't been getting a lot of love on here, but honestly after listening to the 3 songs several times, that's the one that's been stuck in my head the most. I think I enjoy Chasing a Ghost's lyrics and themes the best, but Taxi Driver is super catchy.

It my favorite of the three released so far. I also enjoy the lyrical content of Chasing a Ghost. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I know Taxi Driver hasn't been getting a lot of love on here, but honestly after listening to the 3 songs several times, that's the one that's been stuck in my head the most. I think I enjoy Chasing a Ghost's lyrics and themes the best, but Taxi Driver is super catchy.

Absolutely agree

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

Taxi Driver is insanely catchy. 

Especially when driving. Just blast that tune to the max and roll the windows down. (when it's not 20 degs in April. Oh Kansas, why?!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I agree. I think Chasing a Chost is my favourite, with Taxi Driver coming in a really close second. 

15 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

Especially when driving. Just blast that tune to the max and roll the windows down. (when it's not 20 degs in April. Oh Kansas, why?!)

Almost makes me wish I had a car :cool:

2 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

Taxi Driver is insanely catchy. 

I've been humming it at my desk literally all day. This isn't good. :lol: 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I've been humming it at my desk literally all day. This isn't good. :lol: 

This is my life :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Not sure if this has been said or not, but does the 7" contain the full album, or the E.P. ?

It’s just Love Is For Losers and Taxi Driver

Even though Mike and Tre haven't contributed lyrics lately, there is an entire album worth of songs that they have written or sung over the years:

1.       I was There

2.       All By Myself

3.       Dominated Love Slave

4.       Like a Rate Does Cheese

5.       DUI

6.       Rock N Roll Girlfriend

7.       Chocolate Rain

8.       Eminus SLeepus

9.       Panic Song

10.   Haha you’re dead

11.   JAR

12.   Scumbag

13.   Nobody Likes You

14.   The One I Want

15.   Best Thing in Town

16.   Sex Drugs Violence

17.   Misery

About half are on studio albums, the other half on compilations or just live videos.  But I wouldn't mind cranking this up and driving around town, it's a solid mix.  Haha You're Dead is one my all time favorite songs and it was written by Mike Dirnt.  JAR is freaking amazing. Scumbag is too.    Man, there is kind of a patteren to Mike's writing.....Ha ha you're dead, scumbag and Nobody Likes You.  

Anyway.  Mike and Tre don't need to step up their performing.  They just need to give us songs like "Haha You're Dead" and "Rock N Roll Girlfriend" more frequently.   Mike likes songs about hating people or people hating him, and Tre likes bondage, kink and fish.  What band couldn't use more of THAT in their lyrics?   Other than the Longshot of course.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Where is this one from?

3 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Even though Mike and Tre haven't contributed lyrics lately, there is an entire album worth of songs that they have written or sung over the years:

1.       I was There

2.       All By Myself

5.       DUI

7.       Chocolate Rain

8.       Eminus SLeepus

9.       Panic Song

10.   Haha you’re dead

11.   JAR

12.   Scumbag

13.   Nobody Likes You

14.   The One I Want

15.   Best Thing in Town

16.   Sex Drugs Violence

17.   Misery

About half are on studio albums, the other half on compilations or just live videos.  But I wouldn't mind cranking this up and driving around town, it's a solid mix.  Haha You're Dead is one my all time favorite songs and it was written by Mike Dirnt.  JAR is freaking amazing. Scumbag is too.    Man, there is kind of a patteren to Mike's writing.....Ha ha you're dead, scumbag and Nobody Likes You.  

Anyway.  Mike and Tre don't need to step up their performing.  They just need to give us songs like "Haha You're Dead" and "Rock N Roll Girlfriend" more frequently.   Mike likes songs about hating people or people hating him, and Tre likes bondage, kink and fish.  What band couldn't use more of THAT in their lyrics?   Other than the Longshot of course.  

Like a rat does cheese isn’t really written by Tre it’s literally just lines from rap songs thrown together 

• Like 3

I don't know which is better, the whistle in Taxi Driver or the "oooh ooh" in Chasing a Ghost :lol:. I love little extra details they put in songs like that.

13 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Like a rat does cheese isn’t really written by Tre it’s literally just lines from rap songs thrown together 

They are strung together quite creatively though, I think he deserves partial writing credit :P 

• Like 2

On 4/16/2018 at 3:24 PM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

1.       I was There

2.       All By Myself

5.       DUI

7.       Chocolate Rain

8.       Eminus SLeepus

9.       Panic Song

10.   Haha you’re dead

11.   JAR

12.   Scumbag

13.   Nobody Likes You

14.   The One I Want

15.   Best Thing in Town

16.   Sex Drugs Violence

17.   Misery

always wondered if mike wrote his stuff 100% by himself, or if billie helped him in anyway. like maybe mike wrote the lyrics and billie helped him with the melodies? or maybe mike came up with 75% of it and then billie had ideas for chord changes or for bridges/choruses, etc (similar to how lennon and mccartney would bounce ideas off each other and would give each other bridges/choruses). i wonder the same thing for pinhead gunpowder, like did aaron write 100% of the song, the chords, the melodies, the lyrics, every little detail? or does he write the words and then billie, jason, bill, come up with the chords, melodies, etc.? do they all have a pow-wow and come up with everything together? i guess we'll never know, but i hear so much of billie's melodic tastes and songwriting style in songs that were supposedly written by mike, or aaron, or whoever, so i always was curious about the exact creative process that led to those songs. not to say mike, or aaron, or tre, or whoever couldn't just do 100% of the writing (lyrics, melody, structure, etc), i know they could, but yeah, just always wondered about the exact process.

anyway, your mix is full of bangers. mike and tre are responsible for some of my faves. heres hoping that they write more in the future, whether it be green day, side projects, whatev

• Like 2

1 hour ago, straighttohell said:

always wondered if mike wrote his stuff 100% by himself, or if billie helped him in anyway. like maybe mike wrote the lyrics and billie helped him with the melodies? or maybe mike came up with 75% of it and then billie had ideas for chord changes or for bridges/choruses, etc (similar to how lennon and mccartney would bounce ideas off each other and would give each other bridges/choruses). i wonder the same thing for pinhead gunpowder, like did aaron write 100% of the song, the chords, the melodies, the lyrics, every little detail? or does he write the words and then billie, jason, bill, come up with the chords, melodies, etc.? do they all have a pow-wow and come up with everything together? i guess we'll never know, but i hear so much of billie's melodic tastes and songwriting style in songs that were supposedly written by mike, or aaron, or whoever, so i always was curious about the exact creative process that led to those songs. not to say mike, or aaron, or tre, or whoever couldn't just do 100% of the writing (lyrics, melody, structure, etc), i know they could, but yeah, just always wondered about the exact process.

anyway, your mix is full of bangers. mike and tre are responsible for some of my faves. heres hoping that they write more in the future, whether it be green day, side projects, whatev

Panic Song is credited as lyrics co written by Mike and Billie

Misery is credited with lyrics by Billie Mike and Tre 

18 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Hence "or sung".

;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Hence "or sung".

;)

Ahh I didn’t see the sung part my bad sir 

12 hours ago, straighttohell said:

They do in their side projects.  Frustrators (Mike).  Dead Mermaids (Tre).

• Like 1

As Green Day after so long together I doubt you could pick it all apart, and even ifMike and Tre do write stuff on their own it will be influenced by their past stuff even in small ways I’m sure.  All good to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Ahh I didn’t see the sung part my bad sir 

I guess now we need to argue about this for 30 pages until the moderators tell us to shut up, right?  Haha! 

But on topic in a round about way:    Since Mike and Tre aren't in The Longshot, now I hope one of these other guys sings lead in THIS band one day.  :)

5 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

They do in their side projects.  Frustrators (Mike).  Dead Mermaids (Tre).

Those bands are entertaining for sure.  But what if MIke and Tre both did 'solo' projects while Billie does The Longshot?

Tre Cool has some non-goofy songs in him, I just know it!  Imagine a Cool-lead ballad!  

And Mike has already proven his song-crafting ability with several great Green Day tunes under his belt.  

I would definitely be one of the 7 people on the planet that would buy a copy the day they came out.  

Mike Dirnt would have a punchier sound than Green Day, (oh I just remembered I forgot Governator on my list of Mike songs!)    Perhaps it would be a bridge between The Network and Green Day.  

Tre Cool would have a more comedic album, but some serious elements bleeding in.  Maybe political stuff delivered in jokey ways.   They all seem to have a great sense of humor.   

Anyway.  

This EP is great from beginning to end and I cannot wait to get the whole album.  I will definitely be using Listen to You Tube  to create my own disc as soon as all the songs are out - and of course will buy a real copy the day it hits shelves.  Maybe two.