'The Longshot' - Debut self-titled EP

Second favourite son

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I really want to find out who the rest of the band is soon. We probably have some clues somewhere in all those Longshot posts but I'm too lazy to go through them all :lol:

I mentioned in The LS thread, but today the guys from Primadonna started building their insta, and for one hot minute, David Field sent me a follow request, (he later canceled it, LOL) but the only way he could've gotten my insta was through @longshot account and there is no reason for him to be doing that... unless he is The Longshots.  My guess is Jeff, Kevin, and David.

ETA:  Pacejunkie is right tho, we will only know 100% for sure on 4/17.  (insert giddy laugh here)

Edited by Biddymc
  • Thanks 1

Or tonight... 1234 Go has an interesting tweet and Billie just posted “tonight?” On both accounts with a venue pic

• Like 3

I'm so excited for an album now. After my criticism of the vocal effect I can see now it does really fit the style of the songs. They're like cool GD b sides with an added retro/rock and roll sound.

Chasing a Ghost is my favourite, great meaningful lyrics (and it amuses me how there's an echo on ghost in the chorus like "chasing a ghost, ghost, ghost" lol). And Taxi Driver is hilarious, I love how it's actually talking about a taxi driver (although with deeper meaning as well), that he would actually use the line "rolling like a stone", and the whistle :lol:. Love is For Losers is cool too. I want more.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I'm so excited for an album now. After my criticism of the vocal effect I can see now it does really fit the style of the songs. They're like cool GD b sides with an added retro/rock and roll sound.

Chasing a Ghost is my favourite, great meaningful lyrics (and it amuses me how there's an echo on ghost in the chorus like "chasing a ghost, ghost, ghost" lol). And Taxi Driver is hilarious, I love how it's actually talking about a taxi driver (although with deeper meaning as well), that he would actually use the line "rolling like a stone", and the whistle :lol:. Love is For Losers is cool too. I want more.

The vocal filters have never bothered me, I do get what people are saying but I really think they work with the overall feel, theme and genre of the music.  Catching a Ghost is a definite fave- I can play it over and over and not get bored. I wasn’t that excited by taxi driver at first but I gave it a few more listens and can’t get it out of my head now. Billie  is so clever, songs with impact that can resonate but catchy as hell and can get under you skin sometimes on first listen, sometimes it takes a few. I’m loving this project , I’m chomping at the bit for an album now 

• Like 4

I think Love Is For Losers is my favourite out of the three, but Chasing A Ghost isn't far behind. Taxi Driver is alright. I could listen to all three on a loop tbh

• Like 2

I'm totally in love with all three of them. When I went to bed last night, I stuck my earphones in and I've been listening to them all on repeat all night. LIFL is my fave, buy CAG is about to overtake it. Taxi driver has always been my least favourite, but it gets better with more listens. I can't wait for the album! I honestly think this is the most excited I've ever been for an album ever.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

I must have weird taste, because for me Taxi Driver blows the other 2 away.

You’re not weird. I definitely prefer it to LIFL and it’s the catchiest of the three by far. CAG just beats it for lyrics (that touch my heart and make me cry)

I have no detailed analysis yet but every time it skips to the next song I'm like "THIS IS THE BEST ONE", I'm loving it :wub:

• Like 3

For anyone who was at this show and heard Body Bag, has it been expanded on since the movie version or is it exactly the same? I love the song but it’s less than two minutes I hope he added a bridge.

18 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

For anyone who was at this show and heard Body Bag, has it been expanded on since the movie version or is it exactly the same? I love the song but it’s less than two minutes I hope he added a bridge.

my guess is that the song is longer. The snippet posted on Istagram has a guitar solo, which doesn't have on the movie version

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alf said:

The snippet posted on Istagram has a guitar solo, which doesn't have on the movie version

Which is the Instagram account that has videos of the gig?

Okay but these songs, for all their simplicity on the surface, are so good. 

Also extremely thorough scientific research :sherlock:  shows the EP on constant repeat works great for both walking in the sun AND moping alone in a dark room.

Billie u fuck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

Okay but these songs, for all their simplicity on the surface, are so good. 

Also extremely thorough scientific research :sherlock:  shows the EP on constant repeat works great for both walking in the sun AND moping alone in a dark room.

Billie u fuck.

It was on repeat for me yesterday. Got a lot of shit accomplished at work and I’m sure my coworkers think I’m crazy with my desk-chair dancing... 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

It was on repeat for me yesterday. Got a lot of shit accomplished at work and I’m sure my coworkers think I’m crazy with my desk-chair dancing... 

Aw man if I could listen to music at work I'd be so fucking efficient

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jon from ARTV did a review of the EP

SPOILER ALERT: He didn't really like it...

I'm kinda with him in a way, it's just Billie Joe in his comfort zone, more of what we've heard on the trilogy, nothing really new... I'd still give it probably a strong 7/10.

But the new songs I've heard live have potential even though I've only heard them once and pretty much couldn't understand anything that Billie was singing

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Jon from ARTV did a review of the EP

SPOILER ALERT: He didn't really like it...

I'm kinda with him in a way, it's just Billie Joe in his comfort zone, more of what we've heard on the trilogy, nothing really new... I'd still give it probably a strong 7/10.

But the new songs I've heard live have potential even though I've only heard them once and pretty much couldn't understand anything that Billie was singing

I was going to save my full review for this thread.  My over the top, line for line reviews but my general feeling is not far off but I just love Billie too much.  I don't LOVE the trilogy as it contends with other Green Day stuff but on its own, I love every single song.  I judge against itself and Billie is just too good of a lyricist for me not to love everything he writes, but I feel like I read so deep into the lyrics that while I'm working on version 4 of his meaning of something, another person might have thrown the line away.  I'll show you what I mean in just the review that i'm about to give.   

I have purposefully not read this thread so that my opinion isn't influenced by anyone here but only the people I speak with as things get lost in translation and I'm even trying to avoid that as to not have my opinion altered by modeled behavior.

My MAIN problem is not the song.  The fact is to me that it sounds WAY too much like Green Day than all of his other side projects.  Like Tubbies can sound like GD but Tubbies were just his party band.  This is not that and the sound is like a mediocre produced Green Day album with songs that would have been on the trilogy but not mixed as well.  I fucking love, as I said, every song on the trilogy but there is not any songs on the Trilogy that I like more than RevRad.  So yeah, on this, comparing to Tubbies, Network, or GP, not even close.

I have begun after a quick drive to San Diego and back on the way force feeding myself the songs, loving a couple of them.   Look forward to doing a full review of every song when appropriate.   It has some good stuff that you guys will love.  I'll do the EP review tonight.

Again, I agree with the comfort zone (which is actually very important to Billie even if he's playing for literally 5 people).  You would think his desire to be liked would be fulfilled by now but lucky for us I don't think it ever will.  Every song to me from BJA is a gift from God and so I love them all.  Even then ones I don't love AS MUCH.  I don't know about the first 3 yet whether I love them as much but the stuff I've heard otherwise, is damn good too though.  

Edited by Hermione
Please remove videos from quotes
  • Like 1

On 15/04/2018 at 12:18 AM, herewegoagain said:

Aw man if I could listen to music at work I'd be so fucking efficient

Usually I don't listen to Green Day at work except if I know I will be working in my office alone for a little while, but a few days ago, I was working with my boss and another lawyer late in the evening and at one point I dropped "I want to listen to Green Day". Of course I didn't expect anything. Then my boss said: "Okay, you can put some Green Day stuff on the computer while we're working." I was :woot: since my boss usually acts like he hates Billie, I always find similarities between them and I love them both so I think he's jealous. Anyways, I put tons of videos while typing and my boss said to the other lawyer: "You see how she types faster with Billie?" and I was just so happy to hear their two voices at the same time... :wub: (yeah, I know this is not the right thread)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

Usually I don't listen to Green Day at work except if I know I will be working in my office alone for a little while, but a few days ago, I was working with my boss and another lawyer late in the evening and at one point I dropped "I want to listen to Green Day". Of course I didn't expect anything. Then my boss said: "Okay, you can put some Green Day stuff on the computer while we're working." I was :woot: since my boss usually acts like he hates Billie, I always find similarities between them and I love them both so I think he's jealous. Anyways, I put tons of videos while typing and my boss said to the other lawyer: "You see how she types faster with Billie?" and I was just so happy to hear their two voices at the same time... :wub: (yeah, I know this is not the right thread)

Every day at work I’m listening to music. Granted it’s through headphones (and usually Green Day). My me happy my job allows that freedom to listen to music otherwise, I’d be looking for a new place of employment 

29 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

Every day at work I’m listening to music. Granted it’s through headphones (and usually Green Day). My me happy my job allows that freedom to listen to music otherwise, I’d be looking for a new place of employment 

I listen on the way to work and back home, and most of my time home. I'm lucky to love my work even though I can't reasonably listen to music there (on headphones impossible since I'm always called by my bosses, must be mobile, answer the phone...). And I put pictures of Billie on my computer background :wub: