'The Longshot' - Debut self-titled EP

Second favourite son

Billie Joe Armstrong's side project The Longshot have just released their debut EP.  Read more about it here, and use this thread to talk about it!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Taxi Driver is OK. It doesn't suck and it doesn't blow me away. Love is for Losers grew on me. I didn't like it at all when I first heard it but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it. But Chasing the Ghost has made me forgive Billie for not accepting this 20+ year fan on The Longshot account. My only regret is that Tom Petty is not alive to play on the song with him. It is Tom Petty meets punk. LOVE IT!!!  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

In my opinion, Chasing A Ghost wouldn't be out of place on ¡UNO! and if it were a Green Day track it would be in my top 20. This whole EP is so interesting; it feels fresh and inspired, with influences ranging from Petty and the Beatles to old power-pop and Trilogy-era Green Day. Really hope we get a vinyl release of the whole record!

• Like 1

Already getting sick of the clappers 😀 but overall I'm enjoying these 3. Not sure which is my favourite yet but I'm excited to just roll with this project and have fun listening to what Billie has to offer :)

• Thanks 1

I'm definitely warming to Taxi Driver... the harmonies on all of them are soooo fucking good though! Hard to pick a favourite but I think it has to be Chasing a Ghost... definitely lyrics wise... you can tell it was written from Billies rehab experience.

I've only listened to LIFL so far because I want to wait for a proper album release for the rest, but like what I've heard so far.

I hope we get a full LP released on physical CD soon.

Am I the only one that's upset about this only being an EP? They released clips from other songs that sounded really good, and I hope we still get to hear them (better sooner than later).

Regarding these 3 songs:

Love is for Losers: (3/5) Nice tune; Nice melodies and harmonies, but nothing to really put it to the next level!

Taxi Driver: (2.5/5) Different style for sure, so it may take some getting used to. Didn't really resonate well the first time, but still might grow on me!

Chasing a Ghost: (4/5) Very good song! Awesome lyrics and vocals! Absolutely love the bridge and guitar work! Really reminds me of the break they have leading in to the last chorus of Carpe Diem that is criminally underrated, but definitely could have been produced a little bit cleaner! 

Overall: 65%

I think it’s very cool that Billie is releasing this in an old school kind of way. But I have questions as usual. Is there more to come after this EP? Will there be a “real” release of an album? If so, are these just extra songs, or will they be on the full release?

Anyone else think that chasing a ghost sounds a little like stay the night?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, emmericanidiot said:

definitely!

12 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

I think it’s very cool that Billie is releasing this in an old school kind of way. But I have questions as usual. Is there more to come after this EP? Will there be a “real” release of an album? If so, are these just extra songs, or will they be on the full release?

I reckon they'll definitely be more songs to come! Didn't Foxboro hot tubs have an EP before the release of the full album???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emmericanidiot said:

That would explain why I like it it so much.

18 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

Am I the only one that's upset about this only being an EP? They released clips from other songs that sounded really good, and I hope we still get to hear them (better sooner than later).

I'm never going to be upset about new music but I am a little confused. The Longshot has always said "new album" but we just get an EP. Hopefully that's just for now while the rest of the stuff is getting ready. Billie could be waiting on physical copies and other merchandise before wanting to release the full thing.

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, jengd said:

I am loving the new tracks and the Italian Rage and Love fan site has a clip for The Last Time  from These Paper Bullets which I am trying to get to link below which is also great.  I get that these tracks are maybe not the best you ever heard, but I am so glad that my favourite front man is so mad about music that he just can't stop.  Who thought we would get anything at all from them so soon and I love it, I've said before that I would listen to Billie singing my shopping list!

Ist this legit longshot material?

sounds pretty nice anyways :) 

4 minutes ago, BrendanL said:

EP is now available on Spotify

Obviously not here :( 

@KarlAuerE12thSt I don't know if this is a legit clip but it's one of the tracks listed.  Thought we could do to refresh our memories of the track listing, or maybe that's just me!

1. Devil’s Kind

2. Body Bag

3. Chasing a Ghost

4. Cult Hero

5. The Last Time

6. Taxi Driver

7. Kill Your Friends

8. Happiness

9. Soul Surrender

10. Turn Me Loose

11. Goodbye to Romance

And I think we have it folks! (In no particular order)

• Like 2

Joey had that snippet of Happiness and there have been posts hinting at a playlist with other songs, so I’m thinking there’s more to come. I have no idea whether this marketing is genius or idiotic. @LaughingClock do you have an opinion since you’re in this line of work?

Edit: I see that @jengd was thinking along the same lines as far as remembering there have been other songs listed.

15 minutes ago, KarlAuerE12thSt said:

Ist this legit longshot material?

sounds pretty nice anyways :) 

It would be pretty hard to fake!

• Like 1

I found the EP on The Spotify (US at least). I just typed in "love is for losers" and it was the 2nd or 3rd hit on the page.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt. said:

It would be pretty hard to fake!

Totally agree, that's so Billie.  Someone said earlier on the other thread that they didn't think it was Billie writing the lyrics but I don't know why they thought that, I don't agree at all, these have Billie all over them to me.  Hoping the EP is just a teaser maybe to gauge reaction and then the album soon, or maybe there is still more............:ninja: just teasing, I know nothing! 

These songs sound great from iTunes cranked on my speaker. I love them all. Turn them up loud, shut up and dance everyone! I’m sure there is more music to come.

• Like 3

OOOoooooo The Last Time is right up my alley.. you know what I mean?? My Billie alley.. ;)

I'm not even sure what I mean but Im loving all this music.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2