What do you want their next album to sound like?

Dragonwolf2864

This is my personal GD album wishlist:

-The raw energy and power of the 90s. YES, I know what I sound like when I say that , but the speed, intensity, and just POWER of their earlier stuff is just so addicting! I just want to hear some of that again!

-The political edge of the 2000s, as well as the more mature themes expressed on RevRad. GD have always been a band with something to say, and that should never change

-More guitar solos from Billie. I loved the guitar work on RevRad, but personally I'd like to see some solos in the vein of their first two  albums, they are always a joy to listen to

-More basslines and possibly singing from Mike. He is a master at his instrument, but that hasn't been reflected in the more recent albums! I'd like to see him come back in a big way

-Rob Cavallo. He's always been their best producer, hands down.

IMO, this is a recipe for one KICKASS album. I'm aware I might sound like I'm stuck in the past and don't want them to evolve, but I just think the band playing to their strengths would make for some EPIC music! TBH, I'll probably be happy with whatever they put out, they're just that good.

What do you guys want out of the next album? I'm looking forward to what y'all have to say.

Edited by Dragonwolf2864
  • Like 3

Maximum Green Day.  Seriously, in some ways I would like them to take a few more risks and try a few more different things but I get that doing that can backfire badly.   I do wish we could convince them/Billie that we would like fewer vocal filters, we all love the way he sounds and want to hear him.

Is there not a thread for this already?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jengd said:

Maximum Green Day.  Seriously, in some ways I would like them to take a few more risks and try a few more different things but I get that doing that can backfire badly.   I do wish we could convince them/Billie that we would like fewer vocal filters, we all love the way he sounds and want to hear him.

Is there not a thread for this already?

I hope for exactly this! Always love when they're brave and take some risks/do some experiments. And yes not too many vocal effects/filters please. Can really be any more specific than that because I enjoy all kinds of different sounds/styles from them. I have to say I'm not really thinking much about the next GD album right now with The Longshot around the corner though :lol:. Maybe we'll get some of our wishes from that.

I thought there was a thread but I can't remember what it was called or find it, and I also can't remember if it was made before Rev Rad or not. If someone does know of another thread for this (made after Rev Rad/reasonably recently) link it and I'll merge but otherwise we can stick with this one.

• Like 4

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

I think it was this thread:

Hmm I thought of that one but it's more about the news of them being in the studio and predicting what it'll sound like than what you'd like it to sound like. Let's have both! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

I thought there was a thread but I can't remember what it was called or find it, and I also can't remember if it was made before Rev Rad or not. If someone does know of another thread for this (made after Rev Rad/reasonably recently) link it and I'll merge but otherwise we can stick with this one.

I'm not surprised you couldn't find it, with a title like this (plus it's a bit old now)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amanda said:

I'm not surprised you couldn't find it, with a title like this (plus it's a bit old now)

That's from before RevRad so I think this thread is fine

Just now, Christian's Inferno! said:

That's from before RevRad so I think this thread is fine

How lovely that we agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

YYYYYEEESSSSS!!!!!  

The thread I've been waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point, I don't really know.  Out of all the bands and musicians I love, Green Day are the first to have released 12 albums without one or more of them being terrible.   Weezer are working on #12 but at least two of their albums were atrocious....let's not get into which ones here, but we all hate at least one Weezer album, haha.  

Someone name me a band that has been consistently awesome through a dozen records!  

So I've never been this far into a bands career without some major disappointments.   It's a weird time in Green Day history.  30 years down.  Where do they go from here?  What can they do or say that they haven't already done?  Why put out another album?  Why keep flying the Green Day banner?  

Once we hear what this Longshot business is all about we might have a clearer picture.  Side projects are usually used by Green Day as pallet cleansers between albums, which is good for them.   

Less politics, maybe?  More personal lyrics, sure.  But I'm going to try and not get into the whole "please sound like a combination of Warning and American Idiot" thing again because it's redundant.  We all kind of want the new album to sound like a combination of all that we love about Green Day, and it will, but not in a paint by numbers kind of way.   

I will not make any statements about what the album should be like.   At least not for the next 12 minutes.  :)

Which should be the length of one of the songs ;)

(also - going back to the band hitting 30, the Actual Green Day is fast approaching  -  May 28th, 2019!)

• Like 2

I would like Billie to show off his very under-stated soloing skills while maintaining a heavy-punk tone in an Insomniac style way. Really I just want to hear anything they're feeling at the moment because as a fan I like to hear the type of mindset they have throughout their lives.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, youngreendayvet said:

I would like Billie to show off his very under-stated soloing skills while maintaining a heavy-punk tone in an Insomniac style way. Really I just want to hear anything they're feeling at the moment because as a fan I like to hear the type of mindset they have throughout their lives.

I wonder if he’s getting all his sadness out with the Longshot album because he wants the next Green Day album to be silly and fun again.  That’d be cool.

• Like 1

RevRad is one of my favorite things ever so if it's like that then we're all good. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I wonder if he’s getting all his sadness out with the Longshot album because he wants the next Green Day album to be silly and fun again.  That’d be cool.

Either way I'll hand over my money to hear it :lol:

• Like 2

I hope the next album will be a mixture of the best GD had to offer in the past, plus a new, exciting approach. It has to be political because it just wouldn't be Green Day to go all non-political in fucked up times like these. I love the way they went with Back in the USA because it is political, but also light-hearted and fun, not as heavy as most parts of AI or especially 21CBD (loving those albums, don't get me wrong). And if this new, lighter, funnier political approach is mixed with some anger and personal lyrics.... God, this could turn into something big.

11 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I actually think he writes his best songs when you can tell that they come from a place of sadness or frustration or anger, so mostly negative feelings, which sounds horrible because you could think I want him to be sad - NO! :lol: But it's mostly the negative feelings that fuel creativity, I know it from own experience. And I think the "dark" side of him is always there even if he's happy, it's like the dark side of the moon (the same goes for all of us I think, no one can be only happy). So I hope and I'm pretty sure we will also see that side of him on the next record, but of course also some fun and happy songs (Youngblood, yay! :D).

• Like 1

As long as they're pushing themselves and work with an ambitious producer I don't really mind, Billies a great songwriter, he just needs the right team around him nudge him in the right direction and to turn his songs into a reality

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

I hope the next album will be a mixture of the best GD had to offer in the past, plus a new, exciting approach. It has to be political because it just wouldn't be Green Day to go all non-political in fucked up times like these. I love the way they went with Back in the USA because it is political, but also light-hearted and fun, not as heavy as most parts of AI or especially 21CBD (loving those albums, don't get me wrong). And if this new, lighter, funnier political approach is mixed with some anger and personal lyrics.... God, this could turn into something big.

I actually think he writes his best songs when you can tell that they come from a place of sadness or frustration or anger, so mostly negative feelings, which sounds horrible because you could think I want him to be sad - NO! :lol: But it's mostly the negative feelings that fuel creativity, I know it from own experience. And I think the "dark" side of him is always there even if he's happy, it's like the dark side of the moon (the same goes for all of us I think, no one can be only happy). So I hope and I'm pretty sure we will also see that side of him on the next record, but of course also some fun and happy songs (Youngblood, yay! :D).

I know, in fact I’ve wondered aloud before what he can write about now that his life is so settled compared to before (alcohol and drugs were major topics in the past).  I know politics and society still weirds him out and now maybe he can write about getting older and how weird that is (seems he did that a bit in Chasing A Ghost).  His lyrics were always dark but somehow also fun at the same time, I never found Green Day to be emo, self indulgent or depressing.  I hope they never lose that goofy side.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I know, in fact I’ve wondered aloud before what he can write about now that his life is so settled compared to before (alcohol and drugs were major topics in the past).  I know politics and society still weirds him out and now maybe he can write about getting older and how weird that is (seems he did that a bit in Chasing A Ghost).  His lyrics were always dark but somehow also fun at the same time, I never found Green Day to be emo, self indulgent or depressing.  I hope they never lose that goofy side.

True, I've never regarded them as "emo" too. But they can look like it if they want to:lol:

They have two options. Go full epic or go full raw. Any of those options I like. The thing is that their mixing/mastering is probably the worst ever, so I'll have to restrain myself to live performances to that.

• Like 2

First of all I'd love for the vocal filters to be gone, I want Billies voice to be loud and clear. Definitely more prominent bass! Maybe more of the instruments that they don't always use, like the piano. Something like Nimrod rather than another concept album, and most importantly put out another live DVD after the tour (without all the 10000 weird filters and cuts that AAF and BIAB has).  

15 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Oh yeah, and it should definitely be the most music ever released at one time.  The next album should be so many discs that it makes the Trilogy look like they were holding out on us.  13 discs, each one 80 minutes long with a bonus "secret" disc bundled with each main disc.  so 26 discs each with 80 minutes.  

The album will tell a story about how St. Jimmy and Whatshername die and go to hell.  He tries to reconnect with her, only to find out that they aren't really in hell, but somewhere all together different.  There are four main acts spread across the discs, and it's all told through Mike Dirnts perspective, as he is in this afterlife with them.  They find out they have been abducted by aliens.  

They eventually return to Earth and try become good punk rockers, but they just can't do it and they run away together, forever trying to outrun Death in a Final Destination style epic. 

As they are about to discover the meaning of life,   

A Nuclear bomb ends it all.  

That... was beautiful

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

This thread's been dead, what with all The Longshot business.   The Longshot will play postponed dates, sure, but I think that the end of their original tour dates are still going to be the secret beginnings of Green Day XIII.   

So they were supposed to wrap it up around June 2nd or so.  Billie sneaks back into the studio with his two best friends, along with a stack of songs and ideas he's been working on.  He's probably got at least a skeleton album created within his mind and scribbles.  I'm thinking a couple weeks later - June 16th: Green Day start tinkering in the studio.   

They record from June 16th 2018 to January 28th, 2019.   They will release it about 3 months after that.....May 3rd, 2019.    

The lead single will drop around.....February, 2019.  I'll say the 18th.   

There you have it folks.   Make sure to remember this post 352 days from now when that ALBUM 13 is blaring from your speakers. 

;)  

Oh, and what do I want it sound like?  I KNOW what it's going to sound like.  Green Day guitars, bass, drums, maybe some piano.   

Wait - I was looking at Rev Rad wikipedia page and now there are some more guys listed under personal - ALONG WITH THE BAND!
Looks like Mic Garfield is playing guitar with Green Day now, along with Andrew Micheals on piano and Organs.  

How come the personal on Rev Rad keeps changing every time I look it up?   One minute it's three guys in a studio, the next there's half a trillion song writing credits because some of the songs kind of sound like other songs.   Then there's trumpets and pianos, and organs, and glockenspiels.........

Anyway.  

Green Day are going to be a 10 piece band for the this next one, because it's going to go EPIC.     

Going to make American Idiot sound like something learning to play the bongos.