Least favorite Green Day song

BUBBYBUB

10 minutes ago, greendepent said:

Aw man, No Pride has the best line ever in all Green Day songs.

Another bad song: bouncing out the walls, is like Know Your Enemy pt 2

Sorry, guys, I like those songs, Green Day never recorded something I hate... Yeah, I don't like ''Know Your Enemy'' but... those songs on the list are just a forced selection of tracks I don't listen 2 times per day :P

And I think Sweet Children EP is great, ''Strangeland'' even more. And I love ''Drama Queen'', Lol

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, Grubby Poop said:

Everything on Insomniac

Really? Even though it's perfectly fair to hate the sound/ mix/ style of that album (which I don't by the way, but I appreciate that it's different and fans who came in during different eras would feel differently about this)...the composition and structure of songs like Westbound Sign and Stuart and the Ave. are remarkable. At their core these songs hold their own against any rock song from any era. You could put the sheet music from Westbound Sign in front of any great band or artist from the last half century and it would sound amazing and not at all out of place. It's just great songwriting, and even more impressive given that they were in their early 20's when it was recorded. 

Sure, I'm naturally biased since I love Insomniac, but you've gotta give points for the songwriting chops on that album. 

20 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

Really? Even though it's perfectly fair to hate the sound/ mix/ style of that album (which I don't by the way, but I appreciate that it's different and fans who came in during different eras would feel differently about this)...the composition and structure of songs like Westbound Sign and Stuart and the Ave. are remarkable. At their core these songs hold their own against any rock song from any era. You could put the sheet music from Westbound Sign in front of any great band or artist from the last half century and it would sound amazing and not at all out of place. It's just great songwriting, and even more impressive given that they were in their early 20's when it was recorded. 

Sure, I'm naturally biased since I love Insomniac, but you've gotta give points for the songwriting chops on that album. 

I won't talk about sheet music but I think one of the things you can't argue with about Green Day is their ability to write good pop songs. Their background make them punk or alternative. But you can hate Green Day, dislike Green Day. There's something you can't say. That they're not good at writing. They may be no genius. But it's genius to me to do what they do. Good music, still nowadays in 2018. PS: I adore Insomniac, I'm obsessed with every single second of it.

6 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

No, I disagree with everything you have said. I don't think it is brilliant song writing. Yes, there are some great lyrics on Insomniac, but musicality there is nothing special. Westbound Sign is mostly just 4 power chords. I find nothing remarkable about the writing. I think Billie's song writing progressed and matured through the years to become absolutely brilliant. His writing on Dookie was crisper and more composed than anything on Insomniac. However, the lyrics on Insomniac might give Dookie a run. 

This is simply my opinion.

Hands down Amy!  I don't hate the Trilogy although I don't think it's their best but Amy is just awful, there is nothing redeeming about it - sorry Billie ;)

17 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

LRI is boring and filler

Filler on an 18 track album :lol:. I don't see it as that at all. Not only is it amusing of them to put a chilled out "interval" in the middle of some high energy angsty tracks, it also cements two of the album's key attributes - its quirkiness and its subtle retro/surfy vibe. The album's personality wouldn't be as strong without it imo.

10 hours ago, greendepent said:

Aw man, No Pride has the best line ever in all Green Day songs.

Which line?

8 hours ago, Eric said:

extraordinary girl :sick:

I don't know what it is you dislike about it but I really dislike the line "she's an extraordinary girl in an ordinary world", because it's just cliched and cringy to me. And the way the vocals on the (too often repeated) line "she gets so sick of crying" sound is cringy too. I actually do still like the song as a whole but it's probably the worst on AI.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Filler on an 18 track album :lol:. I don't see it as that at all. Not only is it amusing of them to put a chilled out "interval" in the middle of some high energy angsty tracks, it also cements two of the album's key attributes - its quirkiness and its subtle retro/surfy vibe. The album's personality wouldn't be as strong without it imo.

I don't know what it is you dislike about it but I really dislike the line "she's an extraordinary girl in an ordinary world", because it's just cliched and cringy to me. And the way the vocals on the (too often repeated) line "she gets so sick of crying" sound is cringy too. I actually do still like the song as a whole but it's probably the worst on AI.

Uh... Aren't 18 track albums more likely to have filler? I think it ruins the flow of the album. It'd be interesting if it was building up to something but it's the exact same thing for almost 4 minutes. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if it wasn't the longest track on the album and if it wasn't just the same tune repeated over and over again. Isn't the point of an instrumental to use your instruments in an interesting way? How is the repetition of the same tune for 4 minutes interesting?

I definitely think EG is one of the weaker tracks of AI but I don't really find any of it annoying or "cringy". I don't think that "too often repeated" line is actually repeated that many times... I mean, isn't it just in the chorus? I mean, if that's the case couldn't you say that about every line in the chorus of any song?

10 hours ago, Hermione said:

I should put this in the Unpopular Opinions thread but (I think I might have said it once somewhere) Extraordinary Girl is definitely one of my favorite on AI, maybe my favorite... Not particularly due to the chorus (while I'm far from cringing to it), but the melody and some lyrics are what hit me the strongest on the entire album. 

I don't really hate it, but I don't really listen to/ like Nightlife a whole lot. Yeah i know :lol: alot of people have this opinion haha

14 hours ago, Hermione said:

Which line?

"No culture is worth a stream of piss or a bullet in my face"

16 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Uh... Aren't 18 track albums more likely to have filler? I think it ruins the flow of the album. It'd be interesting if it was building up to something but it's the exact same thing for almost 4 minutes. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if it wasn't the longest track on the album and if it wasn't just the same tune repeated over and over again. Isn't the point of an instrumental to use your instruments in an interesting way? How is the repetition of the same tune for 4 minutes interesting?

I definitely think EG is one of the weaker tracks of AI but I don't really find any of it annoying or "cringy". I don't think that "too often repeated" line is actually repeated that many times... I mean, isn't it just in the chorus? I mean, if that's the case couldn't you say that about every line in the chorus of any song?

I don't find it boring as it does subtly change as it goes on and is just a cool chilled out piece of music. But I think its main purpose is to be an interval between some frantic tracks that you wouldn't expect. The quirkiness and amusingness of that plus the way it cements the album's surfy vibe makes it an asset to the album imo.

There's just something lame about the way they make that line sound (like the effect on Billie's voice and the music cutting out) so I don't want to keep hearing it :lol:. And extraordinary girl/ordinary world has always just sounded cliched to me and bothered me. I'm not saying it's objectively bad or anything, just personal preference. 

4 hours ago, greendepent said:

"No culture is worth a stream of piss or a bullet in my face"

Nice! I think I just like the classic "You better swallow your pride or you're gonna choke on it" best. I agree that song has lots of great lines.

22 hours ago, Grubby Poop said:

No, I disagree with everything you have said. I don't think it is brilliant song writing. Yes, there are some great lyrics on Insomniac, but musicality there is nothing special. Westbound Sign is mostly just 4 power chords. I find nothing remarkable about the writing. I think Billie's song writing progressed and matured through the years to become absolutely brilliant. His writing on Dookie was crisper and more composed than anything on Insomniac. However, the lyrics on Insomniac might give Dookie a run. 

This is simply my opinion.

But, but, but... not even Stuart and the Ave?

medium-cute-sad-kitten-google-search.jpg

About EG, I think that the instrumentation of that song is top notch. Sounds really cool. A great product of the experimentation they did with Misery and the X-mas record. Lyrics aren't that bad, considering that She's a Rebel is before that one.

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

Nice! I think I just like the classic "You better swallow your pride or you're gonna choke on it" best. I agree that song has lots of great lines.

Yeah, I like the one I said because it has such a wide meaninig and it has a lot of applications. I even had a t-shirt with that line time ago.

1 hour ago, greendepent said:

About EG, I think that the instrumentation of that song is top notch. Sounds really cool. A great product of the experimentation they did with Misery and the X-mas record. Lyrics aren't that bad, considering that She's a Rebel is before that one.

Are you implying She's a Rebel has bad lyrics?

I feel like Green Day could release a track that is just 5 minutes of farting noises and I’d still lap it up.

There are probably songs I don’t listen to as often.  There are quite a few on 21cb that I rarely listen to.  Not a big fan of KYE, Last of The American Girls or Christian’s Inferno (probably my least favourite GD song).  I think I was always going to dislike some of this album as it followed my all time favourite album (by any band).  AI is the era I got into Green Day when I was 15, my first concert, the reason I play guitar, so the 5 year wait for new music I think I’d just hyped it up too much in my head.

Saying that, when the single was released, BOBD was so overplayed I began to start disliking it but now I love it.  

I hardly ever listen to their first album so I can’t really say I dislike it, it’s more a case of not being familiar with it.

Also not a huge fan of the Version of OW with Miranda.  It would have worked better either just doing the chorus together or doing alternate verses rather than having both vocals for pretty much the entire song.

Just to clarify, I don’t think there is any song I outright dislike.  I just don’t listen to some as often as others.

On 4/4/2018 at 3:43 AM, Thatsername said:

Yeah, KYE needs some love! They couldn't have chosen a better opener for the last tour to get the crowd started, I loved it every single time!

Concerning Outlaws... maybe the people who don't like the song need to give it a little more time and can relate to it when they are a bit older. It's a song about looking back at your youth in a very nostalgic way. The line "when we were forever young" is one of my favorite GD lyrics and maybe just starts to make sense once you're 30+ :cry::cry:

Know you're enemy is fun in concert😊

• Hermione changed the title to Least favorite Green Day song

It's not necessarily my least favorite GD song, but I find Outlaws really boring. It takes away all the energy on RevRad after four very energetic songs. It may not be a bad song, but for me, it's certainly a boring one. Maybe that's even worse than bad... :unsure:

Also, Troublemaker is a song I initially hated when Uno was released. I don't come back to it very often, but when I do listen to it, I find my initial reaction totally justified :lol:.

I'm not sure... probably 'Like a Rat Does Cheese'. Or maybe Angel Blue. but I honestly don't hate either that much... LARDC is kinda funny but makes me CRINGE.

It's so... possessive. I privately find it kind-of abusive-sounding.

2 minutes ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

I'm not sure... probably 'Like a Rat Does Cheese'. Or maybe Angel Blue. but I honestly don't hate either that much... LARDC is kinda funny but makes me CRINGE.

Same tbh. It is funny - knowing it'sa mash up of gangsta rap lyrics, but it's still kind of disturbing 

After people talked a bunch of trash about f*** time and I ended up liking it (only half ironically lol) I though I would try out night life and Oh my god 
that song made me so angry, I couldn't even finish it.

It's the same for me with troublemaker, though admittedly not such a severe response. I just did not like nightlife at all.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't like "J.A.R." I don't know why, I just don't like it. When they played it on the club tour I knew it was a cool moment, but I was still standing there like okay....let's do something else, boys.

Archived