Least favorite Green Day song

BUBBYBUB

Just now, Hermione said:

Would have to be Sweet Children, Best Thing In Town and Strangeland just because the quality wasn't there yet since Billie must've written them when he was like 14/15. Kind of cool to hear the earliest stuff he wrote but that's about it. And along with them the My Generation cover is pretty poor, they were all recorded in a rush with low quality too which seals the deal. I Want To Be Alone isn't great either. Disliking Trilogy songs that are only "bad" because they have deliberately silly/comical lyrics more than them I don't get :P 

Yeah the Sweet Children EP is definitely the weakest part of their discography

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, 39kerplunk said:

'Everyone's drama queen is old enough to bleed now' is just like' tf is that meant to mean?' I kinda feel disgusted hearing that.

That line has been discussed a lot on here haha. Billie's said the song is about young female celebrities being exploited so I take that line to be a metaphor, "old enough to bleed now" as in old enough for her family/record company etc to exploit for money now. I think it's also supposed to bring to mind literally being "old enough to bleed"/start her period and that is creepy but that's the point, it's a creepy line for a creepy subject.

Last of the American Girls is the first one that came to mind. Everything about it is so generic to me. It's just so boring. 

11 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

For what is strictly Green Day,  My Generation (at the end of Kerplunk).

Thats a cover, if you didn't know

2dlou3p.gif

I've answered this one before over the years, and my least favourite is still Hitchin' a Ride.

2 hours ago, Amanda said:
  Reveal hidden contents

2dlou3p.gif

I've answered this one before over the years, and my least favourite is still Hitchin' a Ride.

I don't care so much about the album version, but when I saw what it can turn into live... I could never say it's my least favorite. 

Here's a this video I found yesterday, just watch until 3:40 :

Spoiler

:wub:

It’s interesting to see everyone’s dislikes. 90% is either the really new stuff or the really old stuff. I fall into that “new stuff” category. My bottom three are Know Your Enemy, Outlaws, and Ordinary World. 

3 minutes ago, Todd said:

It’s interesting to see everyone’s dislikes. 90% is either the really new stuff or the really old stuff. I fall into that “new stuff” category. My bottom three are Know Your Enemy, Outlaws, and Ordinary World. 

Yeah I think the really old stuff is Green Day's weakest material but there are other songs scattered throughout their career that are pretty mediocre by Green Day's standards. But I think during the 00's, there weren't really. I don't think any of the songs from Warning, American Idiot or 21CB are skippable

20 minutes ago, Todd said:

Its just a matter of everyones musical tastes, you have always been partial to the more punk side of their music and I have always been more partial to the more rock side of their music. That is one of the things that is so wonderful about this band. Their music is so diverse it allows for people with all different types of music taste to enjoy them. Not many bands can claim that.    

21 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

Its just a matter of everyones musical tastes, you have always been partial to the more punk side of their music and I have always been more partial to the more rock side of their music. That is one of the things that is so wonderful about this band. Their music is so diverse it allows for people with all different types of music taste to enjoy them. Not many bands can claim that.    

Exactly. It hurts me to see everyone bash Strangeland, cause that’s in my top 3. But at the same time, I can appreciate the diversity of the fan base and it shows the talent that Billie, Mike and Tre have to be able to connect such a diverse group of people. 

51 minutes ago, Todd said:

It hurts me to see everyone bash Strangeland, cause that’s in my top 3. 

That's how I feel when I see people bash Ordinary World. :lol:

I plain love Wild One since the first time that I heard it. That solo is one of the sweetest things that the trilogy has to offer. That 60's vibe. It has it's own charm to me. I can't say the same about Basket Case (as I stated before), or other well known songs, like Revolution Radio, Wake Me Up, Jesus of Suburbia, Boulevard or 21 guns.

I want to be alone is a bad one too. It sounds childish :lol:

Best Thing In Town just doesn't quite live up to its name for me. By the way people can hate Outlaws all they want but it's still a top 20 Green Day song for me. 

The only song I don't like that I remember is Nightlife. If there are any other ones I dislike, I either haven't heard them enough, or I simply forgot about them.

2 hours ago, greendepent said:

I plain love Wild One since the first time that I heard it. That solo is one of the sweetest things that the trilogy has to offer. That 60's vibe. It has it's own charm to me. I can't say the same about Basket Case (as I stated before), or other well known songs, like Revolution Radio, Wake Me Up, Jesus of Suburbia, Boulevard or 21 guns.

I want to be alone is a bad one too. It sounds childish :lol:

I enjoy a lot Wild One and notably that solo even though it's not among my favorite of the trilogy

I listened to I Want To Be Alone yesterday, I liked it better than before (hadn't heard it in some time) especially the verses. What I don't really like in that song is the chorus (musically). And as it comes after Dry Ice, Only Of You and The One That I Want, 3 songs I could listen to in repeat, it doesn't make me more tender towards I Want To Be Alone :lol:

I won't include trilogy songs 'cause it would be too easy, so.... Here's my CD, Lol

01 THE ONE I WANT

02 REST

03 16

04 DOMINATED LOVE SLAVE

05 EMENIUS SLEEPUS

06 CHUMP

07 NO PRIDE

08 TIGHT WAD HILL

09 MISERY

10 EXTRAORDINARY GIRL

11 WHATSERNAME

12 KNOW YOUR ENEMY

13 SAY GOODBYE

14 TROUBLED TIMES

I'm still not sure why everyone hates Know Your Enemy. No, it's not their best song, but it's upbeat, fun, and energizing. I don't mind it.

I do mind The Forgotten. And over time, I've come to dislike 21 Guns. They have better ballads than this. Also, Last Ride In :thumbsdown:

Interesting to see Outlaws mentioned. Yes, it's long and slow, which I'm assuming is primarily why some people may not like it, but it's a really well written song. I love the guitar riff and drums during the bridge. And the piano outro is a nice touch. 

2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

I'm still not sure why everyone hates Know Your Enemy. No, it's not their best song, but it's upbeat, fun, and energizing. I don't mind it.

I do mind The Forgotten. And over time, I've come to dislike 21 Guns. They have better ballads than this. Also, Last Ride In :thumbsdown:

I agree except I do still like 21 Guns. Although it is one of GD's most overrated and probably the weakest track from 21CB. But yeah, KYE is still great, The Forgotten is boring and LRI is boring and filler

3 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Yeah, KYE needs some love! They couldn't have chosen a better opener for the last tour to get the crowd started, I loved it every single time!

Concerning Outlaws... maybe the people who don't like the song need to give it a little more time and can relate to it when they are a bit older. It's a song about looking back at your youth in a very nostalgic way. The line "when we were forever young" is one of my favorite GD lyrics and maybe just starts to make sense once you're 30+ :cry::cry:

1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

Yeah, KYE needs some love! They couldn't have chosen a better opener for the last tour to get the crowd started, I loved it every single time!

Concerning Outlaws... maybe the people who don't like the song need to give it a little more time and can relate to it when they are a bit older. It's a song about looking back at your youth in a very nostalgic way. The line "when we were forever young" is one of my favorite GD lyrics and maybe just starts to make sense once you're 30+ :cry::cry:

The pace of Outlaws can be grating if you're not in the mood for something slow, but I like the song a lot. Not my favorite from RevRad, but I do like it and I didn't think I would.

Oh yeah I forgot about Rest.. I guess that's my second least fav after OW with Miranda

9 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Thank u 

Yeah outlaws is good, especially at the end... it definitely starts our slow (REALLY slow) but it picks up in the end. 

Aw man, No Pride has the best line ever in all Green Day songs.

Another bad song: bouncing out the walls, is like Know Your Enemy pt 2

• Hermione changed the title to Least favorite Green Day song

Archived