Would Green Day fit for a Super Bowl half time show?

1039Revolutions

I've been wondering if Green Day would ever be a Super Bowl half time act. There really aren't many other big names that haven't done the show, aside from maybe the Foo Fighters.

They might be a little too 'Rock' and not have enough pop theatrics to be that kind of a draw. I'm sure they would highlight American Idiot, BOBD, WMUWSE, 21 Guns and probably Basket Case.. but still seems like a weird fit to me. It could be amazing if done right though..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I think it would be great; they'd likely be paired with some popstar, and depending on who it was, like Lady Gaga would be amazing, it could be awesome. They have an amazing stage presence, are fairly mainstream, and they have a fairly pop sound in some songs.

I’d love to see it. It’s probably the one big thing they have yet to achieve. They would certainly command the crowd better than Coldplay did.

19 minutes ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

Honestly I think it would be great; they'd likely be paired with some popstar, and depending on who it was, like Lady Gaga would be amazing, it could be awesome. They have an amazing stage presence, are fairly mainstream, and they have a fairly pop sound in some songs.

gdc would hate this sooooooooooooooooooo much

Just now, Eric said:

It's not punk to perform with a pop artist like her

Ugh why are people so hung up on this???

She's good in my eyes. She has a different sound from most pop artists; and an almost punk attitude as well as style. Plus she commands attention. I feel like she would mesh well with them; pop or not.

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

It's not punk to do a musical either. *shrug*

I guess it's become less likely that they'd be invited just because rock has become less popular. But if they wanted a rock band to do it then absolutely! Can't think of many others that haven't done it that would be better suited, they're an extremely entertaining live act who have well known hits and do well in big venues.

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

You're well aware that not everyone on GDC has this attitude though. I don't know why you always have to try and paint it that way, in this case when it hasn't even happened :P 

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

Can't think of many others that haven't done it that would be better suited, they're an extremely entertaining live act who have well known hits and do well in big venues.

Yeah, Red Hot Chili Peppers did it a few years ago and they're less entertaining live than Green Day but they were still pretty great. Plus they are as mainstream as GD.

2 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I guess it's become less likely that they'd be invited just because rock has become less popular. But if they wanted a rock band to do it then absolutely! Can't think of many others that haven't done it that would be better suited, they're an extremely entertaining live act who have well known hits and do well in big venues.

You're well aware that not everyone on GDC has this attitude though. I don't know why you always have to try and paint it that way, in this case when it hasn't even happened :P 

I am always joking, however reading around the forum/GDA comments on news posts, I can say A LOT think this way

49 minutes ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

This would be epic, and GD and Lady Gaga are fans of each other so I'm sure they'd love to do it!

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I am always joking, however reading around the forum/GDA comments on news posts, I can say A LOT think this way

I just don't see the reason to make this observation so frequently :P 

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

This would be epic, and GD and Lady Gaga are fans of each other so I'm sure they'd love to do it!

I just don't see the reason to make this observation so frequently :P 

Just ignore me then?

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Just ignore me then?

It's a downer when you feel the need to say it at every opportunity even when it's just a hypothetical idea that no one on GDC has reacted to negatively yet and I'll point that out if I want.

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

Just ignore me then?

God this thread just started and it's already off-topic and hostile. So many threads lately are like this!

I doubt hey’d be invited because they’d probs be seen as too unpredictable regarding swearing or doing something else that wouldn’t be deemed appropriate, like the AMAs

2 minutes ago, jumpsalty said:

I doubt hey’d be invited because they’d probs be seen as too unpredictable regarding swearing or doing something else that wouldn’t be deemed appropriate, like the AMAs

They know when to behave themselves if it’s for something they want to do. They’re not that unpredictable or controversial really.

3 minutes ago, jumpsalty said:

That's prolly true.

They would totally fit. They're larger than life, have a great exciting stage show, popular, and have lots of popular songs. These all seem like requirements for the half time show. Though I can picture CBS being worried they'll do something similar to their AMA performance. 

They have a bad rep

It's annoying because despite their rep, and controversy, they're mature adults... and the AMA thing was really important I think. Besides, they aren't always inapropriate, (that was more disruption any way.) only when they want to make a statement. And they don't always make things political.

10 minutes ago, jumpsalty said:

I doubt hey’d be invited because they’d probs be seen as too unpredictable regarding swearing or doing something else that wouldn’t be deemed appropriate, like iHeart

;)

1 minute ago, Eric said:

gdc would hate this sooooooooooooooooooo much

Yeah... because all of us here at gdc think that all pop music is shit :lol:

(Or we just think shit music is shit music)

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I’d love to see it. It’s probably the one big thing they have yet to achieve. They would certainly command the crowd better than Coldplay did.

True, but I have a suspicion that a lot of what goes on there is pre-planned, including I think a part of the crowd payed to look excited and jump around (which however, would look more natural with them than with most other artists).

Just now, MillenniumFan said:

True, but I have a suspicion that a lot of what goes on there is pre-planned, including I think a part of the crowd payed to look excited and jump around (which however, would look more natural than with them than with most other artists).

I think it's estabilished that Soros foots the bill for people pretending to look excited at Green Day shows.

Archived