If you could ''change'' a song...

deleteduser7593

...its structure, its chorus, add something, remove something, everything... What would you do? More than one song it's even better :-)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omg I know this one — I would give Back In The USA a fucking bridge! Every time I hear it I expect it to go to a bridge and then repeat chorus and end and instead it just ends! It makes me crazy. I love that song and it’s thirty seconds too short 😕

2 hours ago, Montclare said:

Remove Nightlife.

Fixed 

After the bridge in Oh Love, I would cut out the guitar strumming, change up the chorus and make it much faster. The whole song feels like it's building to something, but it just kind of tapers off with the same version of the chorus from the rest of the song.

41 minutes ago, aydge89 said:

After the bridge in Oh Love, I would cut out the guitar strumming, change up the chorus and make it much faster. The whole song feels like it's building to something, but it just kind of tapers off with the same version of the chorus from the rest of the song.

Yeah, also considering that the last chorus is repeated TOO many times...

I'd like Church on Sunday to cheesily go up a key during the repeated choruses at the end. They did kind of make this wish come true by doing it in a song with musical similarities to Church on Sunday (Static Age), but the real thing would be even better.

Also remove that voice effect that's on a few songs on Warning and AI, the one where it's meant to sound like a megaphone or something (eg "going out to idiot America") because I don't like it.

9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I'd like Church on Sunday to cheesily go up a key during the repeated choruses at the end. They did kind of make this wish come true by doing it in a song with musical similarities to Church on Sunday (Static Age), but the real thing would be even better.

Also remove that voice effect that's on a few songs on Warning and AI, the one where it's meant to sound like a megaphone or something (eg "going out to idiot America") because I don't like it.

I... LOVE the key thing you're talking about! :-)

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Omg I know this one — I would give Back In The USA a fucking bridge! Every time I hear it I expect it to go to a bridge and then repeat chorus and end and instead it just ends! It makes me crazy. I love that song and it’s thirty seconds too short 😕

''I know this one'' killed me, haha!

Change the guitar solo in 21 Guns because it sounds too much like the Full House theme song to me :lol: I LOVE Forever Now but after hearing it live I'm obsessed with the idea of Billie screaming "I ain't gonna stand in line no more" the same way he does live. So powerful. Also I agree about Back In The USA needing a bridge. 

Put the piano from the live version into 21 Guns 

2 hours ago, disappearingfs said:

''I know this one'' killed me, haha!

I’m just so glad you asked, I’d been sitting on that for forever. 🙂

Also, I would have made Outlaws more uptempo.

I've actually thought that Nightlife would sound good just as an instrumental track. It certainly wouldn't be their most hated track.

For both versions of Ordinary World if they just replaced the song with 3 mins of silence that would be great.

2 hours ago, Alan86 said:

For both versions of Ordinary World if they just replaced the song with 3 mins of silence that would be great.

Yeah, at the end of the day... it would be just ordinary silence, so no one would complain X0

3 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I've actually thought that Nightlife would sound good just as an instrumental track. It certainly wouldn't be their most hated track.

I do agree! Those whiny disco vocal parts are just ear torturing!

I would change everything about Haushinka.  It's my least favorite Green Day song of all time and I wish it had been replaced with literally any other song that was a contender:   Alfred E. Normal, 19th Nervous Breakdown - literally anything but Haushinka.  

I die a little inside every time someone disses Ordinary World. :(

6 hours ago, Nightlife said:

Change the guitar solo in 21 Guns because it sounds too much like the Full House theme song to me :lol: I LOVE Forever Now but after hearing it live I'm obsessed with the idea of Billie screaming "I ain't gonna stand in line no more" the same way he does live. So powerful. Also I agree about Back In The USA needing a bridge. 

god dammit man not once did i think this until you said it

I would extend BITUSA with like a bridge and/or guitar solo idk it's too short

This isn't very specific but a lot of their old solos like judges daughter or dry ice need to be brought back because now they don't do as much

Re-record 21 Guns with Billie singing it the way he does live in AAF, I love that so much.

1 hour ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I would change everything about Haushinka.  It's my least favorite Green Day song of all time and I wish it had been replaced with literally any other song that was a contender:   Alfred E. Normal, 19th Nervous Breakdown - literally anything but Haushinka.  

Interesting. It's not a track I find particularly good compared to a lot of their other stuff, but I wouldn't call it a bad track. Even on Nimrod, there are worse tracks imo like Last Ride In, Walking Alone or the most overrated GD song Good Riddance. Just out of curiosity, what is it you hate about it so much?

11 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Interesting. It's not a track I find particularly good compared to a lot of their other stuff, but I wouldn't call it a bad track. Even on Nimrod, there are worse tracks imo like Last Ride In, Walking Alone or the most overrated GD song Good Riddance. Just out of curiosity, what is it you hate about it so much?

I'm listening to it now and it's not a bad song.  It's kind of a strange feeling washing over me as I listen to a song that I've basically skipped for the past 21 years.....as I read the lyrics I realize it's the only Green Day song I don't know the words to.  The lyrics are awesome.  The intro and the first line of the song are kind of awkward in my opinion, so I think they kept me hitting the Next button when I shouldn't have.  The music is sort muddied and different that other Green Day songs and I guess that's why fans like it so much, but I personally don't prefer the sound in the song.  But again, I'm glad I listened to it today and realized it's not so bad.   

Thank you!

But also, this minor shift in opinion on this track effects my album ranking!  Nimrod and Warning have been in a fierce battle for my #2 album from the band for years, with Warning beating Nimrod mostly because of THIS SONG.  

Now it seems Nimrod and Warning are tied for second and it's driving me nuts!  

And one side note:  If you don't like Walking Alone, we can't be friends! I LOVE that one!  And overrated or no, Good Riddance was my introduction to the band, so that too, is sacred.  

Last Ride In - I'll give you that one.  Haha.    

9 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I'm listening to it now and it's not a bad song.  It's kind of a strange feeling washing over me as I listen to a song that I've basically skipped for the past 21 years.....as I read the lyrics I realize it's the only Green Day song I don't know the words to.  The lyrics are awesome.  The intro and the first line of the song are kind of awkward in my opinion, so I think they kept me hitting the Next button when I shouldn't have.  The music is sort muddied and different that other Green Day songs and I guess that's why fans like it so much, but I personally don't prefer the sound in the song.  But again, I'm glad I listened to it today and realized it's not so bad.   

Thank you!

But also, this minor shift in opinion on this track effects my album ranking!  Nimrod and Warning have been in a fierce battle for my #2 album from the band for years, with Warning beating Nimrod mostly because of THIS SONG.  

Now it seems Nimrod and Warning are tied for second and it's driving me nuts!  

And one side note:  If you don't like Walking Alone, we can't be friends! I LOVE that one!  And overrated or no, Good Riddance was my introduction to the band, so that too, is sacred.  

Last Ride In - I'll give you that one.  Haha.    

It's not that I dislike Walking Alone, or really any of those tracks I mentioned, I just find it to be one of the tracks lacking on Nimrod. I think Nimrod as a whole seems to be lacking compared to a lot of other Green Day albums which is why I wouldn't rank Nimrod too high on my GD album ranking. Having said that, Nimrod is still an 8/10 for me and has some fantastic songs! But it doesn't really beat any of their 00's stuff nor does it beat Dookie or RR

Change the backing vocals in the chorus of 99 Revolutions so it just came in with "...lutions tonight." I really don't know why but it's always kind of irritated me that it doesn't do that. 

A FUCKING BRIDGE AND EXTRA CHORUS IN BACK IN THE USA. It's the best thing they've done in YEARS and I hate that it's not longer. 

Louder backing vocals in the chorus of Stay The Night.

Like... for Know Your Enemy to be 99% less repetitive.

A longer, more blues-y solo in American Idiot like Billie does live.

For the tempo to slow down a bit in the acoustic section of American Eulogy. It feels rushed and makes for a bit of a weird dynamic shift.

Archived