The Longshot

Beerjeezus

ok so i have a theory about the "vocal filter" that everybody's complaining about. i think it might not be a filter it might just be a bad EQ mix between the guitars and vocals that billie is doing when hes at the mixing desk. it sounds like he has the frequencies around 900hz BLASTED on the vocals, and has the guitars sitting around that, when it should logically (IMO) be done the other way around to give the guitars thickness and making the vocal clearer and less like billie joe is eating his microphone more in the studio than he does live. of note i will say this issue doesn't bug me much personally, until it hits a point where his vocal performance becomes entirely unclear and buried behind the mix. (i.e. Body Bag, certain parts of Kill Your Friends, and a touch on chasing a ghost)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Admiral_Needa said:

All of Dead Sound and All of The Longshot? OK, I'll try :P

Just got my picture taken with Billie Joe at the soundcheck; al these years it finally happened lol

Ah!!! Thanks for recording the shows for us! 

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Needa said:

Just got my picture taken with Billie Joe at the soundcheck; al these years it finally happened lol

Good for you, you deserve it. 

2 minutes ago, imXieli said:

ok so i have a theory about the "vocal filter" that everybody's complaining about. i think it might not be a filter it might just be a bad EQ mix between the guitars and vocals that billie is doing when hes at the mixing desk. it sounds like he has the frequencies around 900hz BLASTED on the vocals, and has the guitars sitting around that, when it should logically (IMO) be done the other way around to give the guitars thickness and making the vocal clearer and less like billie joe is eating his microphone more in the studio than he does live. of note i will say this issue doesn't bug me much personally, until it hits a point where his vocal performance becomes entirely unclear and buried behind the mix. (i.e. Body Bag, certain parts of Kill Your Friends, and a touch on chasing a ghost)

I would imagine Chris would pick up on that as the engineer though.

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Good for you, you deserve it. 

I would imagine Chris would pick up on that as the engineer though.

true. could just (as said by others before) be the sound he's/they're going for, but they're taking it a bit over the top. 

goddammit i miss rob being in the studio with them. ive noticed this problem started being more prominent after the trilogy when rob wasnt producing it with them, therefore giving an extra opinion on ALL aspects. writing, performance, mixing, etc. and that was one thing (as stated by GD themselves i believe) he has going for him, a great ear for music.

1 hour ago, Admiral_Needa said:

Hey all, I'm at The Longshot show in SF now. Does anyone want me to buy them a 7" vinyl or is everyone just going to wait until they go on sale online at some later date?

if i can still get in on this, id love one.

I did a cursory check on shipping a cardboard 7" vinyl mailer to Europe and it costs more than the vinyl itself (!). I could still get it and mail it to you, but I know there's a fan flying in from Spain to the LA shows, so maybe it would be cheaper to contact her and she could mail it from Spain to Italy, which is presumably cheaper? Hope this helps, 

Yes, haha! Don't worry, I'll buy it later :-)

1 hour ago, imXieli said:

Exagerated high pass filter and a lil' bit of distortion, that's what he uses. He even admited to sing tru guitar amps, sometimes, Lol

That’s awesome. Was the sound check open to the public? If so I’m hoping to do the same at the LA show next week.

3 hours ago, imXieli said:

No they're drenched in reverb and have an almost nasal quality to them and they've been about for a while now. 

I hope Billie gets them out of his system here so when he's in the studio making the next Green Day album he leaves them alone.

29 minutes ago, Joe. said:

No they're drenched in reverb and have an almost nasal quality to them and they've been about for a while now. 

I hope Billie gets them out of his system here so when he's in the studio making the next Green Day album he leaves them alone.

the reverb isnt what bugs me. yeah, its lotta bit much but its definitely that nasal quality that i still think is a bad EQ with a badly applied overdrive. although i do agree i hope he gets it out now so it's nice and cleaned up for the next GD album.

The filters have been used for nearly  20 years now he’s not going to stop now 

17 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I know we've ranted about this a lot, but you really have to wonder what the deal with these heavy filters are. They seem to get heavier every album release even though he sounds on-point live. Is this some sort of stylistic thing or is he self-conscious/anxious about his voice?

it's stylistic. billie is into lo-fi recordings, he's mentioned it a bunch. this is from the rolling stone interview where he talks about his rehab stint and what he wants green day to do in the future... "It would be great to do another rock opera, but using more lo-fi technology. I love shit­ty-sounding records [grins]. I'd love to do more stuff with Green Day that is 100 per­cent live. Sometimes I wish we would have recorded our last records that way — that Exile on Main Street feel, where you just get some good tones and go." 

his voice still rules, its just a stylistic choice that he is into

I think it's stylistic in this case because it really just sounds like a stylistic choice with these songs and fits with them. Other times idk if it's always that. I mean he's not infallible so sometimes it could just be a case of wanting it to sound good and (according to some people's opinions) overdoing it/not getting it quite right. Either way the level of raw sound vs polished sound that sounds best on a song is subjective so it's not always going to sound perfect to everyone.

EQKQCOd.jpg

I got The Dead Sound setlist and Mack Narragon and Bill Schneider autographed it after the show, which was nice.

As for the 7" Longshot vinyls, I had over a dozen requests, but I was only able to buy six, as the merchandise booth has now limited vinyl purchases to only 2 per person. I then asked a couple friends to buy 2 each for me, until I essentially got cut off, lol.

Anyways, I ordered some 7" cardboard mailers from Amazon.com which should arrive this week, then I'll start sending them out. Hope this helps, :toocool:

13 minutes ago, aydge89 said:

They played Stay the Night at the most recent show!

That’s it, if this project is still going in the summer when I get back to the states I might have to fly out to a show

Does anyone want to comment on the likelihood of The Longshot coming to the UK?

(also shout out any mods if they can get in touch I lost access to my old GDC account :( can anyone help?!)

@Admiral_Needa so glad you go to meet Billie Joe, always love to hear of this for real fans and thanks again for all your recordings.

I’m seeing lots of chat all over the place about the full release, is RSD a certain or are we thinking it could be the secret release, is anything confirmed?

2 hours ago, Admiral_Needa said:

I got The Dead Sound setlist and Mack Narragon and Bill Schneider autographed it after the show, which was nice.

As for the 7" Longshot vinyls, I had over a dozen requests, but I was only able to buy six, as the merchandise booth has now limited vinyl purchases to only 2 per person. I then asked a couple friends to buy 2 each for me, until I essentially got cut off, lol.

Anyways, I ordered some 7" cardboard mailers from Amazon.com which should arrive this week, then I'll start sending them out. Hope this helps, :toocool:

is there a vinyl for me, unlucky italian fan? :(

2 hours ago, Admiral_Needa said:

Cool! Let me know if I’m in those 6 lol so I can send you my info, if not I totally understand. I saw they were selling tshirts too his time! 

3 hours ago, aydge89 said:

So now I have one more reason to be damn hyped about The Longshot.

I still can't believe GD didn't play a single trilogy song in south america (despite an accoustic snippet of walk away).

Trilogy lives, Longshot rocks and bring on ¡Cinco!...I mean, Love is For Losers

3 hours ago, aydge89 said:

Here's a video :D 

• Hermione locked and unlocked this topic
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived