The Longshot

Beerjeezus

50 minutes ago, Tubbie Head said:

It's different and sort of creepy I love it so much hahah

I liked Body Bag right away because it’s dark and grungy. I like it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First chance to listen to Kill Your Friends and Body Bag in studio form.  I am having trouble making out the words to Kill Your Friends and the internets apparently are too.  Do we have a good estimation of what he's saying in that song?  

This song gives me American Idiot vibes.  I think it's that "nothing comes to mind" line, becaues the rest of the lyrics (what I can make out) are reminiscent of Breakdown and Trilogy lyrics, with all the buzzwords that Billie uses so poetically.   

Now I'm going to listen to Body Bag!

It's another one that sounds different enough from Green Day.  They could make a song that sounds like that, but really they haven't had one quite like it.  

One thing that differentiates this from Green Day is there are no politics whatsoever.  These songs are more about personal happenings and....kind of vague.  I read the lyrics to these songs and I'm sort of unsure what emotion they are trying to convey, and that's a perfect thing in music.  These songs could be heart breaking to one person, and fun in the sun for another.  

Green Day lyrics are mostly in the "life is bad but I'm going to survive"  attitude.  I find their music be optimistic in a Punk rock kind of way.  

The Longshot seem to be in a different zone emotionally.  It's close to the same ,but it's more "these things are happening to me".....does that make sense?   They are more fun at least as far as the lyrics go.  

Welp, time to go listen to them again.  So we've heard 5 complete songs from this so far and.....I love them all.  

So far I’m enjoying all of the songs. I’m sort of undecided on body bag as to how much I’ll listen to it. 

There are 13 tracks, right?  

1.       Kill Your Friends

2.       Love is for Losers

3.       Taxi Driver

4.       Chasing a Ghost

5.       Devils Kind

6.       Body Bag

7.       Turn me Loose

8.       Goodbye to Romance

9.       Cult Hero

10.   Soul Surrender

11.   The Last Time

12.   Happiness

13.   Last Time

Kill your Friends sounds great.  Still not liking the voice filter. he sounds so good without the filter.  I just want to hear him sing.  Hard to listen to Body Bag.  

I know we've ranted about this a lot, but you really have to wonder what the deal with these heavy filters are. They seem to get heavier every album release even though he sounds on-point live. Is this some sort of stylistic thing or is he self-conscious/anxious about his voice?

1 minute ago, DookieLukie said:

I know we've ranted about this a lot, but you really have to wonder what the deal with these heavy filters are. They seem to get heavier every album release even though he sounds on-point live. Is this some sort of stylistic thing or is he self-conscious/anxious about his voice?

That’s a good question I do wonder which is the predominant factor.

11 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Maybe he's bored of hearing his voice? Kinda like someone might get bored of using the same guitar tone on every song and opt to play around with different pedals. 

28 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I assume it is an artistic thing. Maybe in his head, he thinks a filter to his voice works better with how the rest of the instruments sound. While I do get annoyed with filters from time to time, I do wonder sometimes how songs would sound different without the filters. Would his voice seem more out of place? Would it be better? Would it just be the same?

Is there really that many differences between the studio versions of Body Bag, between the Ordinary World (movie) recording vs. Longshot recording?

17 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

Maybe he's bored of hearing his voice? Kinda like someone might get bored of using the same guitar tone on every song and opt to play around with different pedals. 

Yeah, but he's doing it since 2012, like... 6 years. It's not like in the past where he used to add it here and there in some songs, I don't know, ''Christian's Inferno'', ''Holiday''' bridge, ''Know Your Enemy'' verses... I like the distortion in ''Body Bag'', I like the vocal editing in ''Kill Your Friends'' but I don't like it in the other songs. I listened closely to his voice these days and thought about it a little bit. He didn't change his articulation that much, what ''hurts'' me is that he used to sing in a sort of ''dark'' tonality and... now that his voice got weaker and even more nasally - so ''higher'' (I'm talkin' about frequency, not range), it sounds strange, to me. And the vocal filters accentuate that, making his voice even more crispier but in a bad way. I think he doesn't like his voice that much these days, that's why he uses filters, to not hear those things he doensn't want to hear. I understand it listening to his recent live performances... I think he should should just make a little bit of practice to get in shape, 'cause he's great and has a great voice, there's no need to hide behind a computer thing, Lol

Anyways, here's my chart:

BODY BAG 4 out of 5

KILL YOUR FRIENDS 2 out of 5

TAXI DRIVER 3 out of 5

CHASING A GHOST 3 out of 5

LOVE IS FOR LOSERS 2 out of 5

:-)

Hey all, I'm at The Longshot show in SF now. Does anyone want me to buy them a 7" vinyl or is everyone just going to wait until they go on sale online at some later date?

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Needa said:

Hey all, I'm at The Longshot show in SF now. Does anyone want me to buy them a 7" vinyl or is everyone just going to wait until they go on sale online at some later date?

Get me one please

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Needa said:

I wish but.. I'm from Italy, I don't know how much expensive the shipping would be... :(

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Needa said:

Please I need one, let me know and I will pay for it and shipping!

14 minutes ago, Admiral_Needa said:

I would like one please.

26 minutes ago, Admiral_Needa said:

Hey, I'd love a 7" and would happily pay for the record and shipping. I sent you a PM a few days ago; check it out. Enjoy the show!

25 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

I wish but.. I'm from Italy, I don't know how much expensive the shipping would be... :(

I did a cursory check on shipping a cardboard 7" vinyl mailer to Europe and it costs more than the vinyl itself (!). I could still get it and mail it to you, but I know there's a fan flying in from Spain to the LA shows, so maybe it would be cheaper to contact her and she could mail it from Spain to Italy, which is presumably cheaper? Hope this helps, 

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Needa said:

I did a cursory check on shipping a cardboard 7" vinyl mailer to Europe and it costs more than the vinyl itself (!). I could still get it and mail it to you, but I know there's a fan flying in from Spain to the LA shows, so maybe it would be cheaper to contact her and she could mail it from Spain to Italy, which is presumably cheaper? Hope this helps, 

I know you're getting a lot of people biting, but I'd like one if possible! 

46 minutes ago, Admiral_Needa said:

Please record Dead Sound! I'll pay you $20 if your record their whole set :D 

17 minutes ago, Todd said:

Please record Dead Sound! I'll pay you $20 if your record their whole set :D 

All of Dead Sound and All of The Longshot? OK, I'll try :P

Just got my picture taken with Billie Joe at the soundcheck; al these years it finally happened lol

• Hermione locked and unlocked this topic
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived