The Longshot

Beerjeezus

I love Green Day fun, serious or anywhere in between. Looking at their back catalogue they've got a great mix and it shows in their live shows.

I'm glad he gets the opportunity to make a record like this without the huge expectations that come with putting out a GD album.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not listened to Body Bag yet, gonna wait until the full album is out to check it out because I wasn't a big fanof the OW version so I'll hold fire on this one, but I really like Kill Your Friends. I think, out of the songs we've heard so far, I definitely like the sound of Billie's voice most on this one. It's a fun track, even if the subject isn't :D

35 minutes ago, Ross_19 said:

Not listened to Body Bag yet, gonna wait until the full album is out to check it out because I wasn't a big fanof the OW version so I'll hold fire on this one, but I really like Kill Your Friends. I think, out of the songs we've heard so far, I definitely like the sound of Billie's voice most on this one. It's a fun track, even if the subject isn't :D

This version of Body Bag isn't really any different except it's longer

8 hours ago, imXieli said:

man forget green day it's about the longshot now. kill your friends is gonna be the next big rock song of the year.

Hide contents

i'm not alluding to anything i just think thats the most radio worthy song out of what ive heard, and ive only heard a couple songs from the 1234GO show =/

BIG FAT EDIT:

Reveal hidden contents

KILL YOUR FRIENDS GOT UPLOADED LESS THAN AN HR AFTER I POSTED THIS I STG IM NOT PSYCHIC BUT YAY

Noice :cool: I agree though, two listens (stayed away from the live clips) and it's instantly stuck. BOI knows how to write hooks. I guess I'm hearing the Lazy Bones but kinda like it, like he pulls off the whole lifting from his own songs thing (as with Chasing a Ghost and Waiting). Plus it gives that melody some less heartbreaking connotations.

As for Body Bag I can't even remember hearing it in the movie (#fakefan). It's alright, kinda Beatles-y, but I'll give it more time. Now put them both on the Spotify, Billie u u fuck.

2 hours ago, lorenovacaine said:

How could u wish for this record to sound different from Green Day, if it's made from Green Day's leader?

Can't speak for anyone else but I just want them to branch out a bit, push themselves

45 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Can't speak for anyone else but I just want them to branch out a bit, push themselves

Like Tre did with Dead mermaid?

And Mike selling coffee? 

4 hours ago, Austrian_Insomniac said:

Heaven's making rent
There's a vacancy for me and all my friends
The end of days are on the way
Who needs eulogies?
When you got your loved ones
And everyone's depressed
Party in the morgue tonight
Everythings gonna be alright

And we'll be singing
Kill your Friends!
And we better hear ya screaming
Kill Your Friends!
And we'll show up missing

Deadbeats on parade
Gonna bite the bullet
And jump on the grenade
Fuck the world, its judgement day
We got thoughts and prayers
Nothing comes of mine
And I dont even care
Im gonna take it to the mausoleum

And we'll be screaming
Kill Your Friends!
Now we better get it
We'll be screaming
Kill your Friends!
And we'll show up missing!

One finger on the trigger
And one on the stereo
I think you're killing me with kindness
Gunslinger dead ???
Michaelangelo!
Im in stitches blowing kisses
And a death wish

Kill your Friends!
And we better hear ya screaming
Kill Your Friends!
And we'll show up missing
Singing
Kill Your Friends!
And we'll be singing!
Kill Your Friends!

Thanks for this, I think you have this largely spot on, made a couple of edits in bold and a wee bit bigger, it's what I'm hearing anyway.  There seems to me to be something between "and we'll show up missing" and "kill your friends" at least in some verses, but I can't make it out.  

Didn't like Kill Your Friends much on first listen but it's growing on me although I agree, it feels like an amalgam from the Trilogy.  I love the song Body Bag but what the hell..... so many filters/effects etc.  is anybody else hearing all sorts of weird "whooos" going on about 52 sec in?  How great would this sound if Billie just sung it like Billie sings!  Maybe in the context of the whole album it will sound fine.

Body Bag lyrics, I know these are a lot easier to make out but still a couple of bits I can't get.

She knits me a pastel purple sweater

I’m staring blank into the sky

Oh right

She reads me like a scarlet letter

She holds my heart and hopes to die

Oh right

Sometimes it hurts so bad

Like the soul lines on a ????

This is my life in body bag

She’s got a mind of ??? madness

She is a murder mystery

Oh yeah

She drops me in a brand new address

With a brand new sweater made for me

Oh yeah

Sometimes it ain’t so bad

Like the soul lines on a ???

Oh yeah

Sorry, don't know why they are reading in so spaced out!

Not a fan of Body Bag but I can feel I will be in the future. Sometimes songs just don't click right away but you have a feeling you'll come to love them. Absolutely love the guitar in Kill Your Friends and it's a super catchy song. 

My ranking as of now would be 
1. Chasing A Ghost
2. Taxi Driver, Kill Your Friends 
3. Love Is For Losers
4. Body Bag 

Only reason CAG is number 1 is that I prefer the lyrics. 

9 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

Not a fan of Body Bag but I can feel I will be in the future. Sometimes songs just don't click right away but you have a feeling you'll come to love them. Absolutely love the guitar in Kill Your Friends and it's a super catchy song. 

My ranking as of now would be 
1. Chasing A Ghost
2. Taxi Driver, Kill Your Friends 
3. Love Is For Losers
4. Body Bag 

Only reason CAG is number 1 is that I prefer the lyrics. 

Why are you in my head 

(:wub:)

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

damn it release Happiness already

ppppffffttttt on Happiness. I want Turn it Loose.

59 minutes ago, jengd said:

Body Bag lyrics, I know these are a lot easier to make out but still a couple of bits I can't get.

Oh right

Oh right

Sometimes it hurts so bad

Like the soul lines on a ????

She’s got a mind of ??? madness

She is a murder mystery

Oh yeah

Oh yeah

Oh yeah

Alright
Alright

Sometimes it ain't so bad
Like a soul lies on the slab

She’s got a diary of madness
She holds the murder mystery
Oh yeah
Oh yeah

Oh yeah

Oh yeah

1 hour ago, jengd said:

I’m staring blankly to the sky

Oh right

Oh right

Sometimes it ain’t so bad

Like the soul lies on a slab

She’s got a diary of madness

She has a man of mystery

Oh yeah

Oh yeah

Like the soul lies on a slab

This is my life in a body bag

Oh yeah

Like the soul lies on a slab

This is my life in a body bag

Changes in bold 

Damn, we posted at the same time!

Okay, finally got around to listening to Body Bag and KYF. I'm surprised at how much I like this version of Body Bag. I'd never been able to get into the movie version (although maybe that's because it was overshadowed by Devil's Kind), so I was expecting it to be my least fave out of the 5 we've heard so far. It's actually probably my 3rd fave so far, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

KYF didn't do much for me on first listen, but I'm sure it'll grow on me like everything else that Billie writes does.

Body Bag sounds like a chrismtas song. Obviously filter, filters. I don't like it. This song really bores me. Killl Your Friends is a catchy one, but sounds familiar

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but I just noticed Billie was wearing the same stripy blue shirt from the Revolution Radio video in the pics from the new video shoot :lol:. It's Longview/Basket Case/Walking Contradiction all over again.

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but I just noticed Billie was wearing the same stripy blue shirt from the Revolution Radio video in the pics from the new video shoot :lol:. It's Longview/Basket Case/Walking Contradiction all over again.

He also wears it in the Waiting video

Does this make people more excited for the next green day album?  I'd say we potentially could get another Nimrod/Warning. 

25 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Changes in bold 

Damn, we posted at the same time!

I agree, it is ain’t so bad from the first verse, I still hear blank into the sky, not blankly, dairy of madness I hear now and can’t work out why I couldn't hear it before,  like the soul lies on a slab now same 😂.  Could be man of mystery, it would make more sense I guess.

I’m loving the sound of all of this. I don’t care if it’s Longshot, Green Day, trilogy whatever, it’s all Billie Joe and I love everything he does. He doesn’t have to compartmentalize his music to make people feel better, he can do whatever he wants and these songs are diverse and amazing. Yeah KYF could be a GD song but it’s also so topical I can see why he’s want to get it right out. It reads like exactly what he’s been feeling over the past year.  It’s serious but catchy, fast and fun like Bang Bang.

Body Bag was a pet favorite of mine for a long time I’m glad he didn’t change it much just added a bridge and a chorus and now it’s perfect. I love the screechy, psychedelic layers to the sound. I love the tempo and the drum fills. It’s trippy and beautiful and matches perfectly with the dark yet funny lyrics. 

19 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

He also wears it in the Waiting video

Oh I wasn't very clear but I meant how he wore the same brown striped shirt in those three videos. The bright blue/black striped shirt in the Rev Rad video and new video is different to the Waiting one (which he did wear a LOT on stage etc but only in one music video). 

As you can see I like to pay close attention to Billie's striped shirts :lol: 

15 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Well then. I think that photo is enough to get me to spend $500 flying to a New York City show. :lol: (If one happens, of course.)

At this point, I'll be extremely disappointed if it doesn't. :cry: 

Can’t we just accept now that vocal filters are a thing, the conversation doesn’t need to be brought up every time a new song comes out because it kind of overshadows how nice it is to have music. The only thing bothering me slightly about this side project is the absence of Mike and Tré, it feels a lot safer than other side projects. Not a criticism just personal preference, the songs are still a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, jengd said:

Thanks for this, I think you have this largely spot on, made a couple of edits in bold and a wee bit bigger, it's what I'm hearing anyway.  There seems to me to be something between "and we'll show up missing" and "kill your friends" at least in some verses, but I can't make it out

I got it — it’s “Gunslinger, dead ringer and Michaelangelo”

And wow I fucking love this song

• Hermione locked and unlocked this topic
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived