The Longshot

Beerjeezus

Another idea is that Billie has done his solo stuff, then involved the other guys (Prima Donna) just as they are releasing their album.... Is he doing this to help them out with publicity as a good person (which we all know he is :happy:) yeah I do believe he didn't just write these songs to publicise another band, but you've got to admit it's good timing for the live shows! 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Day is clearly not breaking up, but this solo release really begs the question of which parts of Green Day are really necessary. These three songs have more of a "Green Day" and energetic feel than most of their recent releases. Mike and Tre should take this as a reason to step up their game and contribute more to Green Day than just Billie's backing band.

Just now, DookieLukie said:

Green Day is clearly not breaking up, but this solo release really begs the question of which parts of Green Day are really necessary. These three songs have more of a "Green Day" and energetic feel than most of their recent releases. Mike and Tre should take this as a reason to step up their game and contribute more to Green Day than just Billie's backing band.

Wow. That’s harsh. Green Day albums sound the way they all want them too. I don’t think anybody is slacking off.

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Sometimes I wonder who is waiting for who. Is Billie doing this while he waits for Mike and Tre (who don’t really seem to be doing much) or are Mike and Tre waiting for Billie to finish his pet project and accumulate enough Green Day songs for them to start working on an album together.  In the past it seems that way, that Billie is the one who says I have enough songs I want for Green Day now, let’s do this.

Yeah that's a good point, maybe Tre and Mike just like having a break? The only reason I'm really thinking about it is because the songs wouldn't have to sound that different to be Green Day songs here. I guess ultimately Billie knows what is and isn't a Green Day song better than we do. 

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

Wow. That’s harsh. Green Day albums sound the way they all want them too. I don’t think anybody is slacking off.

What have Mike and Tre done to really add to the songs Billie writes in the past decade?

7 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

What have Mike and Tre done to really add to the songs Billie writes in the past decade?

No one but them can say for sure, but they do arrange their own bass and drum parts and confer together on the direction they want and the sound they are after. Mike has described their partnership as a democracy with an elected leader.  They are the ones Billie trusts the most to give their opinions on his songs in process and to give him the support an insecure artist needs to push himself to his boundaries. Their contributions are both tangible and intangible but Billie would be the first to say he couldn’t do it without them in quite the same way no matter how much you may like his solo projects.

11 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Hmm.  I almost had a retort but then saw your comment about the "last decade" and you got me thinking! 

There are examples of contributions, but none are from the last decade!  

Mike got "Longview" going with that drug-induced bass line, and then got the epic 10 minute songs going while Billie and Tre weren't in the studio for American Idiot.  Those were Green Days biggest albums.  

"I was there" was written by John.  Kerplunk had several tracks that were specifically noted to have lyrics by multiple band members.   Dookie had a track by Mike and a track by Tre.  Then there was Panic Song and Misery.   Then parts of Homecoming. 

And that has been it.  Neither have written lyrics in 14 years and nobody is really certain of how much input they have in the studio while they are knocking out albums.  When the booklet says "Lyrics by Billie, music by Green Day".....there is no clear definition for that.  

The casual human probably wouldn't even care if anyone left Green Day but Billie himself.  I personally could handle Tre Cool bowing out and be okay.  Mike Dirnt though, it would be an emotional battle that I would have to deal with and accept.  There is no way to know for certain, but I believe that Mike is part of the heart and soul of the band.   Sure The Longshot and every project Billie Joe is involved with is just flat out fantastic, but I think the three of them support each other and have friendships that make the music better.  I don't think Billie and these Longshot guys could have created a piece of art like American Idiot.  I don't think it would have happened.  

I don't think BIllie and the other guys could have made Warning.  Or Nimrod.  Or even Dookie.  

It would have been different.  

Should Mike and Tre step up their game?  I think they both have excellent game and are killing it each and every night, just like Billie is.  Should they contribute more?  I am the NUMBER ONE person on here wanting to hear more singing from them.  I want a Jason White fronted song, and I want soooo many MIke and Tre fronted songs.  A serious Tre song.    So yeah, I think Tre and Mike need to give a shot at songwriting again.  They've both got talent, which sadly has been overshadowed by their friend.  

I believe they have sort of fallen into a place where they know Billie is just a crazy mad genius of a songsmith and they've  been content letting him flesh out album ideas and concepts and sounds on his on, because they know it will be gold.  and it's worked - my gosh has it worked.  

But like I said, Mike (albeit in small ways) created what would become "Longview".   What would become American Idiot (the album).  

Again, he could be doing that on every album and we just haven't heard those stories.    We simply don't know. 

wrapping up, I don't want a line up change in Green Day.  I do want some vocals and lyrics by them on future albums.  Imagine a hit song on the radio sung by Mike, Tre or Jason.   It would be sooooo cool.   

56 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I don't think Green Days current sound is due to a a lack of contribution or the rhythm section "not stepping up". It's what they have decided as a group. But this side project does give an idea of how they could sound, if thats what they wanted to do.

Honestly, I just chucked it up to what each them wanted for themselves.  Billie was motivated to write some music clearly.  Maybe Mike needed some family time -- his kids are still pretty little.  Tre's marriage to Sara is still pretty new, and Sara herself is in a band, so maybe just time for her to focus on her music right now, who knows.  Billie is just in a different place in his family life than they are; his kids are grown, and for the first time since 1995,  his family life does not necessarily have to be a factor in what his work life produces.  Sometimes as an artist, you just get creative bursts, and go with it, and if Mike/Tre for whatever reason, were not available to do Green Day, I think they are cool enough with one another, and secure enough in their place with Green Day, that this is ok.  

I feel like Green Day is as solid as ever right now, definitely not worried about that. Just want some more insight about the origins of this project. I think it makes sense though with Billie saying he's felt unemployed in the past when Green Day isn't active. 

42 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Even while listening the EP without knowing who the band members were I had no doubt that Mike and Tré were not involved.

Because their instrumental parts are very remarkable (at Green Day or any other side bands) and Longshot's bass and drums are kind of "ok", fits well but not a big deal. Not writting songs directly doesn't mean they don't play a important role. They may as well give an opinion on Billie's lyrics.

As much as I'm loving The Longshot (more hyped than during RevRad promotion!) I wonder the potential next level these songs could reach If Mike and Tré were involved. 

But besides that I get tour point, considering not everyone values all the instrumental parts :( As a bassist in a Green Day cover band I pay more attention to this details.

The Longshot Live at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland 04-13-18

In case you missed the news, Billie Joe Armstrong recently announced that he has a new side project band called The Longshot and the band just released a new self-titled EP with three songs.

Over the last few weeks, Billie Joe Armstrong revealed in a series of posts on his personal Instagram account that he was launching a new band called The Longshot. Shortly after a Longshot Instagram account was also created to give fans a preview of their upcoming new album called “Love Is For Losers.”

A release date for “Love Is For Losers” has yet to be revealed, however, the band’s Instagram bio says it’s “coming eventually sooner or later. Probably sooner.” In the meantime, us fans can enjoy their debut EP, consisting of three songs “Love Is for Losers,” “Taxi Driver” and “Chasing A Ghost” all of which are out and available for streaming or download now.

Yesterday I was working late at 107.7 The Bone and while sitting at my desk I saw some Instagram posts from Billie Joe Armstrong saying The Longshot was playing a show at Thee Parkside next Tuesday. I was able to buy a couple tickets and thought to myself this is awesome I can’t wait to see and be apart of The Longshot’s first show next week, but later on in the evening I saw another Instagram post that announced The Longshot were going to be playing a surprise show within a couple hours at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland. After seeing this news I debated on going over there or not, one because I already had tickets for next week’s show and two, I anticipated the record store to be crowded by the time I got over there. Since I live in Alameda, I was like I’ll drive by and see how it looks, once I got into Oakland and drove by the record store, to my surprise the store and sidewalk area looked very quiet and empty. I told myself if I see a parking spot open near by then I’ll walk in and as if it was my destiny to go to this show I found a spot across the street. I walked inside the store, the guy at the counter told me the show wasn’t sold out and to head to the back where the stage was. The room was full but still room to fill a few more people, I bought a ticket for the show and hung out in the store to kill some time before The Longshot hit the stage.

After some time passed I heard the crowd cheering so I walked back inside the stage room and saw Billie Joe Armstrong and the rest of the guys from The Longshot on stage. Finally, after weeks of speculation we got to see who the rest of the mystery band members, of course, Billie Joe Armstrong on vocals and guitar, Jeff Matika on bass, Kevin Preston on guitar and David Field on drums. For Green Day fans, we all know Jeff Matika as apart of their live band. Kevin Preston and David Field are from Prima Donna, also Kevin is in Foxboro Hot Tubs, Green Day’s other side project band with Billoe Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool, Jason White and Jason Freese.

Billie Joe said hello to the crowd and introduce themselves as The Longshot and they kicked off their set with “Kill Your Friends” a song from their upcoming debut album. Since I was exhausted from a long day at the radio station I lucked out by posting up against the wall in the back. I looked around the room and saw a lot of people with their phones out documenting the first song performed live by The Longshot at their first show. Everyone in attendance began to bob their head up and down, tapping their feet and some were dancing. The Longshot’s sound pays homage to the great punk rock/post-punk bands of the 80s, catchy up-beat love songs that make you wanna dance. I wonder if these new songs Billie Joe wrote were inspired from the songs Billie Joe recently covered with his other recent side project The Coverups. The Longshot played some covers as well, including David Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust” and The Nerves “Walking Out On Love.” The cover songs the band performed were same ones Billie Joe’s played recently with The Coverups, which I saw twice in concert earlier this year. The Longshot also covered Green Day’s “Fell For You.”

Overall, it was a very fun set and loved how intimate the show felt in the backroom of 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland. I can’t wait to hear the full album when it comes out in the near future. On the way out I bought their limited edition 7″ picture disc. Thank you to The Longshot for a great, last minute night out. I’ll see you again next Tuesday.

http://www.1077thebone.com/2018/04/14/the-longshot-live-at-1-2-3-4-go-records-in-oakland-04-13-18/

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

I mean most of the interviews done for Rev Rad talked about how much extra practice Mike and Tre did for the album. Mike took lessons, even.

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Ok now this is why this forum is cancer. Most of these users I am pretty sure agree with this. Their most recent work is great and better because they do not have this so called "GREEN DAY FEEL" You just confirmed to me this forum really only wants Green Day to stay in a Green Day only lane and never branch out. Pure fucking cancer yikes...

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

There's been about 30 years of playing, touring, recording, writing, creating, and spilling blood and sweat together, the overwhelming majority of which neither of us has been privy to.  I'm certainly not qualified to opine on how to allocate credit to any of them, and therefore I am not going to speculate. 

Green Day is 70% Billie Joe. But only beacuse he is the main songwriter. Most of the time the ONLY songwriter. He writes the songs and Mike and Trè play those songs along him, on their own style, adding their little but important contribute to Billie Joe's music. And there's nothing wrong with it, as long as everyone's happy. And they are, I guess.

So Kill Your Friends is the tiny riff snippet that's on Instagram..

Btw, Devil's Kind sounded fucking fricktastic live.

On 14/04/2018 at 1:43 PM, desertrose said:

Have you all noticed that every cover song has a "?" next to it.

Maybe Goodbye to Romance isn't a cover?

40 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

Maybe the order was not fixed? And probably, they could’ve done some other songs in place of those songs? 

2 hours ago, Stefano Bras said:

Could be since you can’t copyright a title there nothing at all stopping Billie from naming a song the same title as another song

7 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Really? What kind of question is that?

I mean unless you have been present every time Billie has brought a new song to Mike and Tre and actually witnessed them contribute nothing every single time.

7 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

It’s a good album. But not that good to question upon Tre and Mike. Had Billie not been popular, it would’ve just lost somewhere in the lot, and wouldn’t have been getting the attention it’s getting. Revolution Radio has some songs, that can easily beat this album. The energy, the drums and bass parts in RR, it’s phenomenal. Tre is a beast, when it comes to drums. No wonder, songs sound a lot better live, than the studio versions. Why? Because drums are the backbone of any band. And, the tempo, naturally depends on the drummer. He can drive a song to 180bpm or just limit it to 110bpm. And Mike, whether it’s the bassline on longview or Holiday. If it’s Too dumb to die or Forever now. He’s doing his part pretty well. And it’s just a fun album. Not a serious one. Just an indication that Green Day would be back pretty soon. 

8 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

This is misplaced adulation bordering on the sycophantic. Kind of gross. 

• Hermione locked and unlocked this topic
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived