The Longshot

Beerjeezus

I listened to it twice and I'm not that excited about it to be honest. It sounds like a trilogy demo, or like a mashup of songs he's already written. There's nothing unexpected or different about it. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

I listened to it twice and I'm not that excited about it to be honest. It sounds like a trilogy demo, or like a mashup of songs he's already written. There's nothing unexpected or different about it. 

Yeah, and the fact is that it's supposed to be a ''side'' thing so.. different? It's a Green Day song, actually Lol

3 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

What were you really expecting? Him to take on a brand new genre at this point in his life? Their whole discography minus a couple songs here and there all sound a like. The fan base is either hey try something new this sounds like everything else or when they do you guys complain they should of just stuck with what the fans loved them for all these years.

Love the song by the way. :D HURRY UP AND RELEASE THE SONG AND THE ALBUM ON APPLE MUSIC BILLIE!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

What were you really expecting? Him to take on a brand new genre at this point in his life? Their whole discography minus a couple songs here and there all sound a like. The fan base is either hey try something new this sounds like everything else or when they do you guys complain they should of just stuck with what the fans loved them for all these years.

You're right about the fan thing, but I also have to say that being 40 and playing the same genre doesn't mean that you have to rip off your own songs. It's not that unbeatable. I don't know if he notices that, after all... :-)

13 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

Yeah, and the fact is that it's supposed to be a ''side'' thing so.. different? It's a Green Day song, actually Lol

Yeah but it would be sacrilege to call it Green Day without Mike or Tre on it haha. It's in a different category to other side projects I guess. More of a bonus thing that's come about because of Billie happening to have some material he wants to put out as opposed to a new concept the band's come up with. I'm seeing it as bonus leftover Green Day that we wouldn't get to hear otherwise.

I admit it's kind of disappointing to see it's not a brand new concept band (after the fabulous surprises of 80s new wave The Network and the masks/outfits and 60s FBHT with the Rev etc) after considering that it might be because of the new name. But we weren't actually promised that to be fair :P, and extra Billie songs is still a pretty cool thing to get between GD albums.

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

My problem is not with it sounding like Green Day. To me it sounds like a song from the 70’s or 80’s, and not so much a punk song but more a radio/friendly rock song (at that time radio-friendly, not now). Maybe  that’s what he’s going for, but that just doesn’t float my boat. 

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

Yeah but it would be sacrilege to call it Green Day without Mike or Tre on it haha. It's in a different category to other side projects I guess. More of a bonus thing that's come about because of Billie happening to have some material he wants to put out as opposed to a new concept the band's come up with. I'm seeing it as bonus leftover Green Day that we wouldn't get to hear otherwise.

It was kind of disappointing to see it's not a brand new concept band (after the fabulous surprises of 80s new wave The Network and their masks and 60s FBHT with the Rev etc) after considering that it might be because of the new name. But we weren't actually promised that to be fair :P, and extra Billie songs is still a pretty cool thing to get between GD albums.

Who's playing bass and drums, actually? I don't know, to be honest X0 Oh yes, no problem on that, new stuff is appreciated X0

2 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

Who's playing bass and drums, actually? I don't know, to be honest X0 Oh yes, no problem on that, new stuff is appreciated X0

Oh I have no idea :lol:, I'm just assuming not Mike and Tre since it's not called GD and they don't appear to be involved.

16 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Oh I have no idea :lol:, I'm just assuming not Mike and Tre since it's not called GD and they don't appear to be involved.

Umm, can it be C&V in disguise? 

2 minutes ago, Junior_Spidey said:

Umm, can it be C&V in disguise? 

Doubt it, we've already heard several songs that were originally C&V and this doesn't sound like songs written at that time to me. Seems like random more recently written songs.

25 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

You're right about the fan thing, but I also have to say that being 40 and playing the same genre doesn't mean that you have to rip off your own songs. It's not that unbeatable. I don't know if he notices that, after all... :-)

I swear you guys nitpick everything, so what if you can sorta kinda ever so slightly tell it sounds like something else they released :lol: . 

Billie  needs to get a proper video on YouTube, there are quite a few up already, only one of which that I see has the whole intro (which I love) and they are splitting all the views!  

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

I swear you guys nitpick everything, so what if you can sorta kinda ever so slightly tell it sounds like something else they released :lol: . 

Am I the only person who thinks it really doesn’t sound that much like a typical Green Day song? Cause that’s not my issue. 

I have this feeling that he’s gonna send songs to different radio stations. A cool way to promote songs tho. 

I really enjoyed the song,  now I definitely look forward for this record. 

It might be me, but I think he’s clearly aiming for a 60’s-70’s live vibe with these vocal effects, and I can’t really complain about this. 

Well I for one, PERSONALLY, think that ONLY American Idiot is real music and everything before and after that was utter GARBAGE. I HATE change and I hate when Green Day produces anything else that isn't a complete replica of the 13 songs. Longshot can eat a bag of DICKS. And anyone else's opinion sucks because I AM THE EXPERT.

15 minutes ago, Eric said:

Liking the song, not so much the filters, I like to hear more of his voice. It gets lost in the instruments in the beginning. Can't wait for the album to get released. Glad there is new music.

This recording is so shitty that it sounds good again!

This is the first time that I've listened to it now. The melody is really catchy and would really fit into the credits of an 80s coming of age movie imo. I have to say though? I imagined the filters to be worse, I think I listened to another clip where they were really bad. I'm not a fan of the "alriiiight"s and the filters they do use (I just prefer hearing his natural voice), but that's what the inevitable live versions are for I guess. :) I think the song is really good.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:46 AM, Asik said:

And you dont have to read my post if you dont like. I dont need your advice

You sorta do.

On 4/7/2018 at 2:33 AM, Hermione said:

It wasn't even advice, it was an observation about the nature of they way they're doing this Longshot thing in response to your opinion on it. People who enjoy the teasing have the option of taking part in it, people who don't enjoy it have the option of ignoring it until something concrete comes out, it's simply a fact. No idea why you felt the need to be rude and hostile about it but whatever :lol:, if you want to discuss this further PM me, otherwise let's stop taking up the thread with this (unless it's discussion of The Longshot).

Yeah dude, you’re sorta picking a fight with the wrong person. Aside from her being an admin, she’s pretty much universally loved around here.

Bad choice.

Oh, on topic. The Longshot. I wish I had something to add. ;) haha.  Am I sadist enjoying watching you guys suffer?

This really isn’t too tough guys.

6 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

You sorta do.

Yeah dude, you’re sorta picking a fight with the wrong person. Aside from her being an admin, she’s pretty much universally loved around here.

Bad choice.

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that you didn't read on before replying, but I requested no more posts about this quite a while ago so let's leave it here.

I really love the Longshot artwork. There better be a physical CD release because I'll be all over it.

2 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that you didn't read on before replying, but I requested no more posts about this quite a while ago so let's leave it here.

I really love the Longshot artwork. There better be a physical CD release because I'll be all over it.

I didn’t but I figured you said as much and before reading this I added a Longshot bit! Meany!! I’m on his side now. ;)

Incidentally, I gave you guys a pretty good clue. More than once in this thread. 

Also, people: keep in mind that this aired on a radio station, and radio stations tend to compress all the music in their collection in order to keep your attention especially during quiet parts (again, I know from experience, being a radio announcer myself). Billie's voice is getting lost in the instrumental because it's being run through whatever compressor or limiter that ALT 105.3 is using, so it may or may not sound that way on the actual record.

6 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

I didn’t but I figured you said as much and before reading this I added a Longshot bit! Meany!! I’m on his side now. ;)

Well thanks, but it's not so much about being on topic as not starting up an argument that was put to rest 2 days ago. So anyway...

I love how this place comes to life when there's new material :happy:

I remember the night the WMUWSE video had a UK exclusive premiere at 12.30am, and I was up all night trying to find a way of ripping the physical video so that Andres could upload it for everyone to see. Shows two things: firstly how much technology/the internet has progressed since then, and secondly how fucking old some of us are :P

20 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

This is the first time that I've listened to it now. The melody is really catchy and would really fit into the credits of an 80s coming of age movie imo.

You hit the nail on the head. I can hear this in any Molly Ringwald movie. As a matter of fact, wasn't one of the first clues a picture of Molly Ringwald? 

• Hermione locked and unlocked this topic
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived