The Longshot

Beerjeezus

I don't this project has anything to do with Cardi B. Someone made a comment about working with her on this project on the "fake news" post and his response was "I wish", but that is an interesting coincidence. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, squashie09 said:

I don't this project has anything to do with Cardi B. Someone made a comment about working with her on this project on the "fake news" post and his response was "I wish", but that is an interesting coincidence. 

I don’t think it does either but Billie has followed her for a while so I just think it’s funny.

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t think it does either but Billie has followed her for a while so I just think it’s funny.

Oh, I find is funny as well. Clearly he's a fan

Billie seems to be increasingly active with posting about the Longshot, so hopefully the album will be out soon! I think that these songs that Billie is releasing with the Longshot are songs that he never meant to release with GD anyway. Billie said in an interview that he doesn't like "to feel like he's unemployed" during GDs downtime, so this seems like the perfect time to put the songs out there. 

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Billie follows her instagram account and someone joked on the Longshot account that Love is for Losers would feature Cardi B and he replied “I wish!”. Then with all the speculation about an April 6 release date I just thought it was funny that her album does in fact come out April 6. 🙂

I googled her and she seems like just another attention seeker, but just like Manuel in Fawlty Towers "I know nothing".

15 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

So the HBO project exists then. 😉 The slowest production in history apparently. 

I did not say in that sentence!

3 hours ago, Khaleesi. said:

OKAY on my way! :ga:

Sweet!

The vocal sound doesn't sound like the trilogy to me. The trilogy sounded like a combination of analog compression, reverbs, and delays but this vocal sounds like Billie's singing through a guitar amp, with the amp being mic'd and then mixed with the raw feed of the vocal. The songs were probably recorded live with extra emphasis on room sounds - so the vocal has to somewhat fit into that palette, especially if it's being dubbed in later.

Part of the reason for the chain of effects he's been using on his voice could be because his voice has lost some of it's power over the years, as voices do around that age. Compression/distortion can trick the brain into hearing a more powerful vocal performance during a casual listen. So this tactic could work perfectly for casual Green Day fans hearing something new on Spotify/radio - it will sound like the Green Day they've always known - but the hardcore fans on this forum know every detail of Billie's voice so well that they hear it for what it is - Billie's voice with a chain of power effects.

So say it drops with the usual Friday barrage of new songs on Spotify, what time will that be that the first country gets the new releases? I don't remember from last time

12 minutes ago, Noahhaon said:

So say it drops with the usual Friday barrage of new songs on Spotify, what time will that be that the first country gets the new releases? I don't remember from last time

New Zealand got Revolution Radio in advance

The vocal filters that people are bummed about are insanely common in 50s and 60s rock n roll music, especially garage music, which obviously Billie is largely inspired by, and he's been writing in that style a ton as of late. Listen to the vocals on Horseshoes and Handgrenades, or basically every song on Stop Drop and Roll, all of the Trilogy. Listen to literally anything that has ever come out on Burger Records, who I know Green Day are big fans of and probably distant friends with. Adding distortion, reverb, delay, slap back, is pure style. To give it a more 50s/60s sound. If you don't like it, that's a bummer I guess, but Billie's wildly influenced by 50s and 60s power pop, rock n roll and garage, and obviously he's gonna inject a ton of that into whatever he does, melodically, lyrically, production wise, guitar styles, etc...

I personally fuck love it, and think he's voice sounds great with those effects. Just my opinion but, super clear and polished recordings can get boring for me. We already have hundreds of Billie's songs with perfect clean and crisp production. I'd be stoked if this was something different. Give me some rough edges, make that shit sound blown out. I'd be hyped if this was a lo-fi fucked up garage record that sounds like the tape is about to melt. ESPECIALLY if this is a fun side project. However based on the snippets we've gotten, it sounds pretty standard Green Day with a slight garage/rock n roll edge. My fingers are crossed that other songs on the album get even more weird though.

Is this too desperate? idk i just want in 

30007273_10155570316182857_15899133_n.jp

17 minutes ago, Alf said:

New Zealand got Revolution Radio in advance

So how many hours till they get all the new music releases? 

MY NON-GREEN DAY FRIEND JUST GOT ACCEPTED. SHE ONLY REQUESTED SO SHE COULD LAUGH AT ME IF SHE GOT ACCEPTED AND NOW SHE HAS AND NOW SHE'S LAUGHING AT ME. 

28 minutes ago, straighttohell said:

The vocal filters that people are bummed about are insanely common in 50s and 60s rock n roll music, especially garage music, which obviously Billie is largely inspired by, and he's been writing in that style a ton as of late. Listen to the vocals on Horseshoes and Handgrenades, or basically every song on Stop Drop and Roll, all of the Trilogy. Listen to literally anything that has ever come out on Burger Records, who I know Green Day are big fans of and probably distant friends with. Adding distortion, reverb, delay, slap back, is pure style. To give it a more 50s/60s sound. If you don't like it, that's a bummer I guess, but Billie's wildly influenced by 50s and 60s power pop, rock n roll and garage, and obviously he's gonna inject a ton of that into whatever he does, melodically, lyrically, production wise, guitar styles, etc...

I personally fuck love it, and think he's voice sounds great with those effects. Just my opinion but, super clear and polished recordings can get boring for me. We already have hundreds of Billie's songs with perfect clean and crisp production. I'd be stoked if this was something different. Give me some rough edges, make that shit sound blown out. I'd be hyped if this was a lo-fi fucked up garage record that sounds like the tape is about to melt. ESPECIALLY if this is a fun side project. However based on the snippets we've gotten, it sounds pretty standard Green Day with a slight garage/rock n roll edge. My fingers are crossed that other songs on the album get even more weird though.

Idm lofi etc some of my favourite albums have a garage sound to them, but to me it really detracts from the sound having the music engineered to be as loud as possible and having the bass buried in the mix. 

29 minutes ago, Noahhaon said:

So how many hours till they get all the new music releases? 

15 hours left to 6 April

50 minutes ago, straighttohell said:

As I said, my main problem is not with filters wich I liked in the records you mentioned. What I dislike is the way he sung in those 3 records, ''X-Mas Time Of The Year'' and some recent recordings...

If you tag Longshot on instagram(my request still isn't accepted yet) can they still see it? I was gonna make a meme and tag them and also say please accept my request. Lol

I swear Billie (or whoever is running the account) is a cheeky little fuck. I just got accepted after I posted a picture threatening my friend for getting accepted while i wasn't :lol: 

I thinks they going to set the account in public when the album will comes out, so there's not so much time to wait yet

1 minute ago, The_real_st_jimmy said:

If you tag Longshot on instagram(my request still isn't accepted yet) can they still see it? I was gonna make a meme and tag them and also say please accept my request. Lol

I'm guessing yes. My friend tagged them in a post, she got accepted. I tagged them in a post and I got accepted. I guess you might have to get them to notice you somehow? I don't really know tbh

How confident are we this album is dropping tonight?

1 minute ago, dudley dawson said:

I don't think any of us are too confident of that. I think there was just some indication of something happening on the 6th

Just now, dudley dawson said:

If it does I'll eat the keyboard I'm using to type this.

16 minutes ago, The_real_st_jimmy said:

Get in line. Lots of people are doing that including me. I’ve been at it for days now. And yet...

15 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I swear Billie (or whoever is running the account) is a cheeky little fuck. I just got accepted after I posted a picture threatening my friend for getting accepted while i wasn't :lol: 

Congrats. I just keep trying. Making some pretty sweet edits though. Hope he sees them at least (even though the fuckers not letting me in) 

6 hours ago, emmericanidiot said:

Everything since revrad is...one song? 😂

honestly I don’t understand how some fans will literally never be happy, one minute it’s ‘I want old green day’ next it’s ‘I want them to try new things’ like chill out and just appreciate new music.

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Listen to Billie: “Shut up and have fun!” 

No wonder he’s reluctant to put music out there when there are so many critics and gripers. Would it kill you to stroke the guy’s ego for once?  :lol: He’s harder on himself than anyone will ever be so be a fan and show some support. 

I get what you're both saying and I mostly agree, but I'd like to add a few things: 

1. Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say everything since and including RevRad, meaning RevRad, Back In The USA and the Fell For You Remix. Your point still stands though, as that is just their material of the last 2 years (less even).

2. As every critic I like being ''put in my place'' every once in a while, since you really can nag endlessly about anything and it usually doesn't make anyone's life any better :lol:. However (and maybe this is because I am inherently part Swiss lol) I do like to utter the odd criticism now and then. In this case, I'm a bit confused as to why you picked specifically my example to present a real nagging critic, the kind that's never happy with anything and on top of that also hugely ideologically nostalgic. I can see why that kind of person would definitely put artists off. However, I don't think it's fair to say I'm that person. In fact, I love most of the stuff the guys do. That's why they've been my favorite band for over 12 years haha (I'm obsessed actually lol). It's kind of a bummer that Billie wouldn't read the countless posts I made in tour-threads or random thoughts where you could catch me ''fanboying'' all over the place lol (not to say that he reads any of our conversations to begin with, I think that's highly unlikely, but you get what I'm saying). I liked RevRad a lot compared to the trilogy and absolutely loved Back In The USA. I even said how I was still very much looking forward to these specific songs too.

3. My gripe with compression isn't a Green Day specific thing, it's just a general sensitivity I have towards any type of music these days. I think the dynamic and depth of a song is important and the kind of digital compression / heavy limiting that is commonly applied to almost any song on the charts today is therefore really frustrating to me. There's no or little variation in volume, so some of the depth of the song is lost in my opinion, just to make the song sound louder. The compression thing also has nothing to with new vs. old Green Day. I love both new and old GD and I don't want them ever to do ''another Dookie'' like some fans say.

In the end it's their decision, but I'm not even sure if they're actively involved with all aspects of production. So I find it hard to believe that Billie would get offended / put off simply by a mild constructive criticism of an aspect of his music that doesn't even necessarily relate to anything he (or the other guys) have directly created / written etc. 

Long story short, I will ''shut up'' for now, since (as I already said) I mostly liked what I heard and Green Day have very rarely disappointed me, so there's no use in judging an aspect of production through a low res IG video. :) 

• Hermione locked and unlocked this topic
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived