The Longshot

Beerjeezus

1 minute ago, Kuromignonne said:

Or any of the trilogy

I don't think a lot of the trilogy is really mature... I mean, have you heard Fuck Time? Or Makeout Party? Or pretty much most of Dos? And Troublemaker? Fell for You? Loss of Control?

I mean, Tré is mature I guess (except Missing You)

Also regarding this Longshot thing, I think the reason the trilogy happened was because Billie was writing so much material that they were so passionate about... And that was just within a couple of years of writing. Throughout their career I'm sure there's lots of material that didn't make albums that they wanted to. So this new album being studio leftovers makes sense to me... And I think considering the trilogy was a commercial disappointment, the band realised that releasing this kind of stuff as a side project would probably be a better idea

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't think a lot of the trilogy is really mature... I mean, have you heard Fuck Time? Or Makeout Party? Or pretty much most of Dos? And Troublemaker? Fell for You? Loss of Control?

Have you listened to those songs closely enough? They actually contain deeply philosophical insight into human soul.

@Christian's Inferno! not joking, please give it another listen 

34 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

It depends on how you look at it, those themes of giving into the temptations of the rock and roll lifestyle and mid life crisis urges vs not doing that are themes of middle age and a matured (age wise) person who's lived through some stuff, and they're explored more deeply/darkly/introspectively on other songs too. Mature doesn't have to mean totally serious or devoid of fun (although there's plenty of seriousness and un-fun topics on the albums too). I think they're mature in that they explore the realities of what they were going through and thinking about at that time (whereas other albums such as AI and 21st CB that are mature in a different way were looking back at the past or through a teenage perspective) in an honest way, the proving ground for the even more open and emotionally honest Rev Rad. 

I guess the band always has a lot of leftover songs around. Maybe it just happens to be at this time they have a lot that they think are worth putting out.

My guess is that is another side-project between two Green Day albums but maybe this time it's BJ alone.

17 minutes ago, Hermione said:

It depends on how you look at it, those themes of giving into the temptations of the rock and roll lifestyle and mid life crisis urges vs not doing that are themes of middle age and a matured (age wise) person who's lived through some stuff, and they're explored more deeply/darkly/introspectively on other songs too. Mature doesn't have to mean totally serious or devoid of fun (although there's plenty of seriousness and un-fun topics on the albums too). I think they're mature in that they explore the realities of what they were going through and thinking about at that time in an honest way (whereas other albums such as AI and 21st CB that are mature in a different way were looking back at the past or through a teenage perspective), the proving ground for the even more open and emotionally honest Rev Rad. 

I guess the band always has a lot of leftover songs around. Maybe it just happens to be at this time they have a lot that they think are worth putting out.

I'm not arguing there isn't maturity to be found throughout the trilogy. I just wouldn't consider it to be one of their most mature works. Dos is an album about sex and sex can be written about in a mature way but I don't think the songs about sex are written about particularly maturely. A song like Amy however is one of the mature songs from Dos to me.

Also, all this talking about side projects reminds me that I haven't listened to Pinhead Gunpowder in a long time

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm not arguing there isn't maturity to be found throughout the trilogy. I just wouldn't consider it to be one of their most mature works. Dos is an album about sex and sex can be written about in a mature way but I don't think the songs about sex are written about particularly maturely. A song like Amy however is one of the mature songs from Dos to me.

Yeah I won't argue it's their most mature, I just think there is maturity on there.

The suspense of this is killing me :lol:. With FBHT it was pretty much just there, a mysterious clock on a website for a bit and then bam 6 free songs and a new band. This is a new level of teasing even for them!

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

Yeah I won't argue it's their most mature, I just think there is maturity on there.

The suspense of this is killing me :lol:. With FBHT it was pretty much just there, a mysterious clock on a website for a bit and then bam 6 free songs and a new band. This is a new level of teasing even for them!

They're evolving 

9 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Also regarding this Longshot thing, I think the reason the trilogy happened was because Billie was writing so much material that they were so passionate about... And that was just within a couple of years of writing. Throughout their career I'm sure there's lots of material that didn't make albums that they wanted to. So this new album being studio leftovers makes sense to me... And I think considering the trilogy was a commercial disappointment, the band realised that releasing this kind of stuff as a side project would probably be a better idea

Troublemaker, Fell For You, Loss of Control are examples of songs that speak to me a lot, get me very reflective. As for songs such as Fuck Time and Makeout Party, if anything you can tell it's not written by a 23 years old (the band's members' age when Insomniac came out). Moreover, a songs which subject is sex isn't necessarily immature. I am mostly inexperienced on this matter, the way the subject is treated in mainstream media and music doesn't really comfort me, but I absolutely love how it's treated on Dos. I think it made me move on on some stuff. Billie is like my sex therapist, you know

As for Longshot, I wouldn't necessarily think of it as a commercial strategy in comparison to something like the trilogy that was, from a commercial point of view, a disappointment. These are two different times : Billie doesn't need to get a huge stuff coming out right now, he has recently come out of a 14 months touring for RevRad as Green Day. The band members are all spending time with their families. If Billie wants to get a new side project done even in solo, because he always sticks to music and disposes right now of some unreleased material, by no means that steps on Green Day. He'll come back with his bandmates as Green Day with another brand new album, hopefully in one little year, after we'll have had the pleasure to hear some unreleased material on a record in no time now.

8 hours ago, Todd said:

:lol: Yeah, sure. Billie can say that all he wants. I’ll believe it when I see it. 

5 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Billie says many things :lol:

Good point! haha 

16 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

Troublemaker, Fell For You, Loss of Control are examples of songs that speak to me a lot, get me very reflective. As for songs such as Fuck Time and Makeout Party, if anything you can tell it's not written by a 23 years old (the band's members' age when Insomniac came out). Moreover, a songs which subject is sex isn't necessarily immature. I am mostly inexperienced on this matter, the way the subject is treated in mainstream media and music doesn't really comfort me, but I absolutely love how it's treated on Dos. I think it made me move on on some stuff. Billie is like my sex therapist, you know

I would probably consider Insomniac as a whole as mature, if not more mature, than the trilogy. I mean, sure Insomniac has songs like Brat (not exactly a mature song by Green Day's standards :lol:) but you can really see Billie's songwriting ability evolving here and his personal experiences coming through with songs like Panic Song and Brain Stew/Jaded

Moreover, a songs which subject is sex isn't necessarily immature.

I'll just quote myself here :ermm:

34 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Dos is an album about sex and sex can be written about in a mature way but I don't think the songs about sex are written about particularly maturely.

As for Longshot, I wouldn't necessarily think of it as a commercial strategy in comparison to something like the trilogy that was, from a commercial point of view, a disappointment. These are two different times : Billie doesn't need to get a huge stuff coming out right now, he has recently come out of a 14 months touring for RevRad as Green Day. The band members are all spending time with their families. If Billie wants to get a new side project done even in solo, because he always sticks to music and disposes right now of some unreleased material, by no means that steps on Green Day. He'll come back with his bandmates as Green Day with another brand new album, hopefully in one little year, after we'll have had the pleasure to hear some unreleased material on a record in no time now.

I'm not saying that they're only releasing these songs for commercial reasons or anything but it does make more sense for them to release studio leftovers in the form of a side project rather than a full on Green Day studio release like the trilogy was

6 minutes ago, JellyTime said:

They posted animation with a music, I died 

What?! Omg!!! Tell us more 

Shaaaaaaaaare

7 minutes ago, JellyTime said:

They posted animation with a music, I died 

The 20 second clip sounds good! 😍

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Shaaaaaaaaare

I don't know how to do it :cry: But it sounds like Green Day with old school guitars, can't explain that :lol:

4 minutes ago, JellyTime said:

I don't know how to do it :cry: But it sounds like Green Day with old school guitars, can't explain that :lol:

Sounds good! :happy:

(Maybe that could be what I hoped for from the trilogy)

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

OH DANG IT SOUNDS SO GOOD. WHAT U UP TO BILLIE

• Hermione locked and unlocked this topic
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived