The Coverups Ivy Room March 6

pacejunkie punk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool show. What's not cool is when half the crowd records almost the entire show, even though almost every one of them KNOWS how Billie Joe feels about that.

Also, you ruin other people's experiences by sticking a phone in front of their faces when they're trying to just watch the show with their own eyes.

YOU HAVE EYES FOR A REASON, USE THEM.

6 hours ago, sashabee said:

Cool show. What's not cool is when half the crowd records almost the entire show, even though almost every one of them KNOWS how Billie Joe feels about that.

Also, you ruin other people's experiences by sticking a phone in front of their faces when they're trying to just watch the show with their own eyes.

On the other hand, when less than 200 fans are lucky enough to be at a show like this, I appreciate the people who go out of their way to record it for the rest of us. 

Speaking of which, @Todd is a full video ready being uploaded soon? 🙂😘😊 

8 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

On the other hand, when less than 200 fans are lucky enough to be at a show like this, I appreciate the people who go out of their way to record it for the rest of us. 

Speaking of which, @Todd is a full video ready being uploaded soon? 🙂😘😊 

Not ready yet. Speaking of the above post, my friend never holds his camera up above him where they'll distract the people behind him. Unfortunately, the people in front of him weren't as courteous and one person blocked his shot with their camera towards the end of the set. So I understand where Sashabee is coming from.

Honestly, I don't understand why people feel the need to only record 20 second or 60 second clips just for snapchat or instagram. You know that's what most people at shows are doing when they record :lol: That shit's worthless. Why would anyone want to see just part of a song? 

8 hours ago, sashabee said:

I agree a lot with what you say because when everyone just holds up his phone to record, the atmosphere is dead, especially in a crowd as small as that. Crowds aren't what they used to be nowadays with all the smartphones and I'm happy that I'm old enough to have seen a Green Day show when smartphones weren't a thing yet :P It was definitely a different experience. On the other hand, like Todd says, we are desperate to see footage from a show like that because only 200 lucky people got in to witness it. So it's a dilemma, really. I'm very grateful for the people who recorded full songs, but if I had been one of the lucky bitches who got in, I would have just enjoyed the moment instead of watching the whole thing on a smartphone screen.

Yeah, I have no issue with someone recording it (and am grateful, especially in a case such as this or FBHT shows) as long as they're not holding their camera up and blocking someone else's view.  I also find it ridiculous when a person is singing loudly or jumping all over the place and puts that footage on YouTube.  Not what we're hoping to see.  Personally, I would only take some pictures and maybe record a song if we had no footage of it since I prefer to be in the moment, but am happy at least one person films for others that aren't there. 

And it's not like Billie is opposed in the way someone like Don Henley is opposed, in that he actively makes sure all footage is taken off of YouTube (which is unbelievably dumb in my book; there are plenty of artists I've become devoted fans of because of the footage I've seen on YouTube and have gone on to spend plenty of money on them); he just wants people to be in the moment.  Even in Cuatro when Mike suggested taking people's phones away, Billie didn't want to play if they had to do it that way.

I'd like that people could understand something. If wanna record something, make you sure that is a good recording. If it is not, then don't bother. A crappy video won't give you more followers

Just enjoy the show. You don't need to record it. Annoying as hell to see phones everywhere when I was at the show. I don't ever record a show. Why cant you just listen and take your memories with you? I understand that people want to hear the songs because they can not go but it is so not right. As an artist who wants to sing to phones. These constant  little lights flashing. You miss so much looking thru a phone. 

I just don't get why it's so hard for people to be smart and respectful about it. If you can hold the phone right in front of your chest, not block anyone, still watch the show with your own eyes, then great. If you wanna snap one or two QUICK pics, fine. As someone who likes to relive moments or can't make all shows I appreciate those videos/photos. 

But when people hold the phone up for more than a couple seconds or watch the show through it, it's rude to the artist and rude to fans around you. When I was in the pit for GD last year it was like a wall of phones in front of me during Good Riddance. Totally ruined the end of the show because I had to watch it through a phone even though I was only 4 rows back. 

I don't know what the solution is. I'm not in favor of banning phones, but I wish people would get a clue about what they're doing. 

2 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I just don't get why it's so hard for people to be smart and respectful about it. If you can hold the phone right in front of your chest, not block anyone, still watch the show with your own eyes, then great. If you wanna snap one or two QUICK pics, fine. As someone who likes to relive moments or can't make all shows I appreciate those videos/photos. 

But when people hold the phone up for more than a couple seconds or watch the show through it, it's rude to the artist and rude to fans around you. When I was in the pit for GD last year it was like a wall of phones in front of me during Good Riddance. Totally ruined the end of the show because I had to watch it through a phone even though I was only 4 rows back. 

I don't know what the solution is. I'm not in favor of banning phones, but I wish people would get a clue about what they're doing. 

Agreed! It’s even more rude when the artist CALLS you out on it, and you act like it’s a joke and then continue to record the entire show after this. This actually happened the other night. I think people need to get over their obsession with their cellular devices and just enjoy moments. 

2 hours ago, desertrose said:

Just enjoy the show. You don't need to record it. Annoying as hell to see phones everywhere when I was at the show. I don't ever record a show. Why cant you just listen and take your memories with you? I understand that people want to hear the songs because they can not go but it is so not right. As an artist who wants to sing to phones. These constant  little lights flashing. You miss so much looking thru a phone. 

Yup. Agreed. Tonight I’m bringing a disposable camera and setting off the flash in anybody’s eyes who can’t seem to detach themselves from the little communication box from hell.

4 hours ago, Thatsername said:

I agree a lot with what you say because when everyone just holds up his phone to record, the atmosphere is dead, especially in a crowd as small as that. Crowds aren't what they used to be nowadays with all the smartphones and I'm happy that I'm old enough to have seen a Green Day show when smartphones weren't a thing yet :P It was definitely a different experience. On the other hand, like Todd says, we are desperate to see footage from a show like that because only 200 lucky people got in to witness it. So it's a dilemma, really. I'm very grateful for the people who recorded full songs, but if I had been one of the lucky bitches who got in, I would have just enjoyed the moment instead of watching the whole thing on a smartphone screen.

And mind you, people who want to share it could’ve just put their phone in their pocket or if they’re in front, on the stage and audio recorded the whole thing WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE PHONE DURING THE SHOW! 

2 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

Totally ruined the end of the show because I had to watch it through a phone even though I was only 4 rows back. 

Hey, at least your encore wasn't ruined by teenage girls behind you yelling "Daddy" at Billie Joe :mad: 

Just now, Todd said:

Hey, at least your encore wasn't ruined by teenage girls behind you yelling "Daddy" at Billie Joe :mad: 

Ew 🤢🤮

18 minutes ago, sashabee said:

And mind you, people who want to share it could’ve just put their phone in their pocket or if they’re in front, on the stage and audio recorded the whole thing WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE PHONE DURING THE SHOW! 

Yes! I prefer audio recordings to video. And it's so easy to record. Everyone should do it :D 

As someone on a different continent, I am very grateful for the recordings and videos but not if those doing the recording are being a pain.  I would lke it too if someone who was there was able to write up about the whole thing too, it’s always nice to read someone’s impressions about the venue, the band, audience etc.  

9 minutes ago, jengd said:

As someone on a different continent, I am very grateful for the recordings and videos but not if those doing the recording are being a pain.  I would lke it too if someone who was there was able to write up about the whole thing too, it’s always nice to read someone’s impressions about the venue, the band, audience etc.  

Hey I like this! I actually just recently found my own comprehensive write-ups of my first few Green Day shows in 2009 when I was a real big fan (and 18 years old). I'd take reading things like this over photos and videos nowadays. The photos from the smartphones all look the same anyway. 

2 hours ago, Todd said:

Maybe he’s got some daughters that he hid from the limelight, who we don’t know about and they were just cheering for their dad! ;)

7 hours ago, Todd said:

Oh god that would've been worse! The daddy trend needs to end :( 

7 hours ago, Todd said:

Yes! I prefer audio recordings to video. And it's so easy to record. Everyone should do it :D 

But then you can't watch their silly antics. I personally am also fond of their appearance(s) ;).

10 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I just don't get why it's so hard for people to be smart and respectful about it. If you can hold the phone right in front of your chest, not block anyone, still watch the show with your own eyes, then great.

That's how I do it, and just hope for the best haha. Sometimes I end up recording no one :lol:

2 hours ago, Fadedintwilight said:

That's how I do it, and just hope for the best haha. Sometimes I end up recording no one :lol:

Haha me too. I try and check that I have the right angle but it is what it is. Usually I have it for like half the video and the second half the singers head disappears :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 1:38 PM, sashabee said:

Agreed! It’s even more rude when the artist CALLS you out on it, and you act like it’s a joke and then continue to record the entire show after this. This actually happened the other night. I think people need to get over their obsession with their cellular devices and just enjoy moments. 

Yup. Agreed. Tonight I’m bringing a disposable camera and setting off the flash in anybody’s eyes who can’t seem to detach themselves from the little communication box from hell.

you can literally harm someone by doing that... 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived