Amps for playing Green Day?

GreenDayFan76

Hey, does anyone know what amp is good for getting Billie's guitar tone? Amp settings are welcome. I know a humbucker is crucial, but I don't want to pay thousands of dollars as I'm still in middle school and I'm on a budget of $500, so I need a good cheap amp. The guitar is a sonic blue strat with a JB being installed. All the stuff is going to be a belated 14th birthday present.

If you can get your hands on one, try out a "Marshall-in-a-box" pedal. They're a breed of stompboxes that are designed in a way where you can plug them into any amp and get pretty damn close to the Marshall tone of your choosing. I play a Les Paul Junior knock-off through a Wampler Plexi-Drive with the gain at less than half, volume at 2 o'clock, and tone at 2 or 3, which goes into a Blackstar ID:Core 40 on the Super Crunch setting, gain at 10-ish, ISF control mostly on the UK side. And y'all, it's almost DEAD-ON.

I've been playing Guitar for about ten years and to be honest, Billie's Guitar sound is about 90% in his strumming hand. He tends to play with his whole arm and really strums quite hard.

The other tip to keep in mind is that he honestly uses way less gain than you might expect. If you use too much you're gonna end up in metal territory pretty fast.

The Boss Katana 50 is literally the best $220 you will ever spend. Crunch setting, gain at 1:00, pre amp volume set to taste, bass full, mids and treble at 12:00, master cranked.

VERY VERY close to the dookie sound.

12 minutes ago, Josh100_3 said:

I've been playing Guitar for about ten years and to be honest, Billie's Guitar sound is about 90% in his strumming hand. He tends to play with his whole arm and really strums quite hard.

The other tip to keep in mind is that he honestly uses way less gain than you might expect. If you use too much you're gonna end up in metal territory pretty fast.

Agree with what you said. Having to much gain will make open chords painful to hear. Keep the gain up to 4/almost half and even dare to go down. You'll need to find a balance between having open chords not ear-piercing and palm muting not sounding dead.

You can also experiment with lowering the volume on your guitar. It gives less signal, therefore less gain, but in a different way.

Blackstar HtT series or the Marshall DSL 40. Works great. Billie uses a gain level on about 4 out of 10 on his Marshall head. Or Plexi head i'm not sure.

4 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

Blackstar HtT series or the Marshall DSL 40. Works great. Billie uses a gain level on about 4 out of 10 on his Marshall head. Or Plexi head i'm not sure.

All plexis are marshalls but not all marshalls are plexis :lol:

The 'plexi' is the Marshall JTM45, or the bluesbreaker amp.

7 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

I personally would rather spend more on a decent Marshall combo if I was going for Billie's tone - that head is only $400 for a reason 

even besides that matter, the 1960 infinium by them would be a better pick because it's modeled more after plexi style amps rather than the JCM900 that billie only used for a couple years in the early 90s. 

either way, if that $500 budget you're speaking of is only for the amp, look into the marshal DSL. 40 if possible but i think only the 20 watt is in your price range. IF your price for amp specific is lower, definitely look into the code or blackstar id:CORE. also, as a player and musician, TRY the amp before you pick it. you may think you like it looking at reviews online but hearing it in person is what makes the decision. i turn 21 in a couple days and ive been looking into the DSL for about 4-5 years (however long i've known about their existence and price point) and while the reviews did entice me online, what got me was EVERY TIME I went to guitar center (yes i mean EVERY TIME that they had one on the floor) i picked up an epiphone les paul or something similar and sat my ass in front of a marshall dsl and there was never a time i disliked the tone coming out of those amps. moral is, only YOUR ears can tell you what YOUR amp shall be. not billie or this forum. cheers bud good luck on the purchase and what gear nerds call "tone quest"!

When I play GD (poorly) I find that it's the pedal that makes the biggest different. I use a DS1 or DS2 Boss pedal in a Crate amp.

First reply nails it. Yoy can't really go wrong with Marshall but for a $500 budget, the CODE series is your best bet.

On 16/02/2018 at 11:55 PM, imXieli said:

even besides that matter, the 1960 infinium by them would be a better pick because it's modeled more after plexi style amps rather than the JCM900 that billie only used for a couple years in the early 90s. 

either way, if that $500 budget you're speaking of is only for the amp, look into the marshal DSL. 40 if possible but i think only the 20 watt is in your price range. IF your price for amp specific is lower, definitely look into the code or blackstar id:CORE. also, as a player and musician, TRY the amp before you pick it. you may think you like it looking at reviews online but hearing it in person is what makes the decision. i turn 21 in a couple days and ive been looking into the DSL for about 4-5 years (however long i've known about their existence and price point) and while the reviews did entice me online, what got me was EVERY TIME I went to guitar center (yes i mean EVERY TIME that they had one on the floor) i picked up an epiphone les paul or something similar and sat my ass in front of a marshall dsl and there was never a time i disliked the tone coming out of those amps. moral is, only YOUR ears can tell you what YOUR amp shall be. not billie or this forum. cheers bud good luck on the purchase and what gear nerds call "tone quest"!

A 120 watt head at $400 will be made from absolute garbage and be unreliable as hell, thats also a ridiculous amounts of watts for anyone unless you're playing a stadium. That head also won't hold its value as well as a decent combo.

On 17.2.2018 at 6:22 PM, localinsomniac said:

First reply nails it. Yoy can't really go wrong with Marshall but for a $500 budget, the CODE series is your best bet.

Can't beat the sound of a real tube amp though ;) 

Blackstar HT-5 is the way to go. Decent quality and it can reproduce the raw sound of BJ's modded Plexis pretty good. Don't waste your money on a Marshall Code or some other piece of poo. Poo doesn't sound like Green Day.  

3 hours ago, Jonas01 said:

Can't beat the sound of a real tube amp though ;) 

No argument here. I was just trying to work within OP's budget constraints. Personally, I prefer the JCM900.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 3:28 PM, DookieMod said:

Blackstar HT-5 is the way to go. Decent quality and it can reproduce the raw sound of BJ's modded Plexis pretty good. Don't waste your money on a Marshall Code or some other piece of poo. Poo doesn't sound like Green Day.  

Thanx for the suggestion.I'm actually going with a Vox VX1. I heard it has a 1959 Super Lead kind of preset on it so that should be good.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:54 PM, Jimmy Strummer said:

If you can get your hands on one, try out a "Marshall-in-a-box" pedal. They're a breed of stompboxes that are designed in a way where you can plug them into any amp and get pretty damn close to the Marshall tone of your choosing. I play a Les Paul Junior knock-off through a Wampler Plexi-Drive with the gain at less than half, volume at 2 o'clock, and tone at 2 or 3, which goes into a Blackstar ID:Core 40 on the Super Crunch setting, gain at 10-ish, ISF control mostly on the UK side. And y'all, it's almost DEAD-ON.

Bad ass dude! Yeah, I'm going with a Vox VX1 and putting some type of Plexi pedal with it. Also gonna get a guitar from B.J Guitars.

As an aside, anyone here play Friedman amps? They are pretty much in every Guitar Center and Sam Ash now.

They absolutely nail the Green Day sound. Kind of a Marshall knock-off, but more aggressive. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2018 at 3:28 PM, DookieMod said:

Gonna go with that as my budget has increased to $500 for an amp. 

On 2/20/2018 at 6:28 AM, DookieMod said:

Yeah, OP should keep in mind that Billie's had his Marshall heads modified, so you can get a Plexi or Plexi-style amp but it won't exactly sound like Billie's. The best I can understand the mod is that the two master volumes that are normally on Plexis now work in a way where one of them is a master volume and the other controls the gain; plus the preamp is re-voiced to break up (distort) a lot earlier than a normal Plexi does. With those two changes in mind, the amp that Billie plays is a bit more in tune with a JCM 800 while still retaining a lot of Plexi character, so ideally you're looking for something that apes a combo of the two, not just one or the other.

Archived