26 Years Ago: Green Day Take a Step Toward Success With ‘Kerplunk’

desertrose

Great article. I love Tre’s description of WTP,  because it also really sums up GD in general and why I love them so much:

“Cool stated, “It’s like, ‘Everything sucks but we’re having fun anyway.’ We’ll look you in the eye and still smile, even if horrible things are happening.””

I never heard that Tre wrote the guitar part and Billie wrote the drum part for WTP before.  Anyone else ever hear that?

6 hours ago, Montclare said:

I never heard that Tre wrote the guitar part and Billie wrote the drum part for WTP before.  Anyone else ever hear that?

Good article, totally with you @Montclare, I never heard that before either, interesting though.  Don't know the book they are referencing either, will need to investigate.

I like Kerplunk better than dookie haha, One of My Lies and Who Wrote Holden Caulfield are some of my favorite GD songs! and 80!

45 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

I like Kerplunk better than dookie haha, One of My Lies and Who Wrote Holden Caulfield are some of my favorite GD songs! and 80!

I think I do too to be honest. Dookie is probably the album I listen to least.

Kerplunk! is my favourite Green Day album. ''Welcome to Paradise'', ''Christie Road'', ''One of My Lies'', ''80'', ''Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?'', ''Android'', ''2000 Light Years Away'''... C'mon! :wub:

Kerplunk, despite being probably my 2nd least favourite GD album, is still a pretty great album. I'd give it a solid 7.5/10. But no way would I put it above Dookie.

Happy birthday Kerplunk!

I prefer Kerplunk to Dookie too! Kerplunk is my 3rd favourite album. 80, No One Knows and Who Wrote Holden Caulfield are some of my fave GD songs ever.:wub:

I've always thought Kerplunk would be even better if it had a better sound production. I love the Jerky Mix of 2000 LYA!!

Happy B-day, Kerplunk!!

The album was actually originally released on December 17 1991 on vinyl, January 17 1992 was for the CD and Cassette versions which contained the 4 extra tracks from Sweet Children.

Regardless, while i prefer Dookie for it's improved sound production and superior version of Welcome To Paradise, it's still a great album and is the debut of Tre Cool and Eb tuning on a Green Day album.

Archived