Brain Stew colorization demo

Billie Joe's Fender

I didn't know where to put this so i made a new topic about it.

I got the video of Brain Stew/Jaded, converted it into individual frames, turned them from sepia tone to black and white and darkened it and increased the contrast and then manually put it through Algorithma's auto colorization thing and got this result. I only went up to the point of the worms because i didn't want to spend all day on it since you have to do this frame by frame. Overall it looks ok, not as good as a proper colorization but still good.

this looks like something you'd get if you designed a device to plug into and view someone's dreams :lol:

23 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Fender said:

I didn't know where to put this so i made a new topic about it.

I got the video of Brain Stew/Jaded, converted it into individual frames, turned them from sepia tone to black and white and darkened it and increased the contrast and then manually put it through Algorithma's auto colorization thing and got this result. I only went up to the point of the worms because i didn't want to spend all day on it since you have to do this frame by frame. Overall it looks ok, not as good as a proper colorization but still good.

Damn that's quite the process but good job!

1 hour ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

this looks like something you'd get if you designed a device to plug into and view someone's dreams :lol:

Literally though! This video has always freaked me the fuck out, I hate it so much.

The colourised version looks good @Billie Joe's Fender! Don't take it personally but I'd never watch it though :lol: It's an interesting concept, reminiscent of how they made Basket Case.

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch this, Brain Stew is one of my least favorite Green Day videos. Not just is it in an ugly looking sepia tone, it also takes place at a landfill, has imagery of an old lady, garbage, and worms, and they don't play along to the song. Colorizing it would improve it but even with a proper manual colorization it's a far cry from Basket Case, especially considering that was filmed with the intention of being colorized which allowed them to place colors wherever they wanted.

13 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Fender said:

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch this, Brain Stew is one of my least favorite Green Day videos. Not just is it in an ugly looking sepia tone, it also takes place at a landfill, has imagery of an old lady, garbage, and worms, and they don't play along to the song. Colorizing it would improve it but even with a proper manual colorization it's a far cry from Basket Case, especially considering that was filmed with the intention of being colorized which allowed them to place colors wherever they wanted.

It honestly gave me nightmares when I first saw it. Combined with the eerie dead silences in the music it's creepy as hell. I guess it fits with the tone of Insomniac and the other videos from it well, at least. 

Unpopular opinion 1,995: I actually think Brain Stew Jaded is a cool video :lol:

That aside though, I wonder what it'd look like if you took other videos of theirs, converted them into b&w, and then re-colorized them like this,....

49 minutes ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Unpopular opinion 1,995: I actually think Brain Stew Jaded is a cool video :lol:

I think so too. It’s weird in a way that fits with the song, like a hallucination after drugs or sleep deprivation. Brain Stew is like the nightmare and Jaded is like the awake state, working furiously while all these images from the nightmare are actually plastered all around the room, implanting themselves into the subconscious. 

3 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

That aside though, I wonder what it'd look like if you took other videos of theirs, converted them into b&w, and then re-colorized them like this,....

Correction: "Unpopular opinion 1996". The Brain Stew video was recorded in December 1995 during the middle of the US tour. Green Day cancelled their show in Alabama, flew to Los Angeles from Florida to shoot the video, then flew to Louisiana to finish up the tour. The music video came out a few months later in 1996 :D 

I like the Brain Stew/Jaded video too! I just don't like the old woman lip-synching - it really makes me cringe.:ermm:

Archived