UK American Idiot Tour in 2019

DeJennsitized

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/20/2019 at 12:59 PM, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I still haven't really decided yet but am thinking I'll probably try to do Sheffield on 28 March (my birthday!).

I'm going 26th and 30th in Sheffield. Still debating other venues, but now want to save up for a real Green Day tour 😊😊😊

On 1/25/2019 at 9:03 AM, jengd said:

I wonder why there is an interval in the UK?  There was last time, I know it’s normal, but it really broke the tension, Id rather they did without like the original production and was hoping they would this time around. 😩

When I saw the Broadway cast in Manchester, there was an interval. 

When I saw the UK cast in London, no interval. 

When I saw the UK cast touring, there were intervals. 

I agree, I think its all about money from drinks etc. The arts theatre in the west end just let you take a million glasses of wine in with you *cough* according to a friend 😜😜

Just back from seeing American Idiot in Edinburgh and woah, what a show.  It’s quite a different production from last time around.  I am not going to give anything away but we thought there were some brilliant changes in this production, one bit perhaps missed the mark a little and the cast were very good, especially the girls.  St Jimmy was really great, wanted more of him!  Very enjoyable and really rocked, keep you eye on the bassist, the band were fantastic.  Enjoy if you are going. 

I saw the original UK tour and then an amateur production about three years ago.  The amateur production was really very well done but very similar to the original, this one is still very much he same but they have a few things differently, it was great.  Standing ovation!  

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone is interested in this but Newton Faulkner who played Johnny last time around gave it a mention in this interview with The List:

https://www.list.co.uk/article/107086-newton-faulkner-impressed-by-hard-drinking-opera-stars/

Away from his own concerts, 'Dream Catch Me' hitmaker Newton was cast back in 2016 as Johnny in the stage musical 'American Idiot' – which is based on the album of the same name by Green Day – and he looks back on the part with great affection because it was "really fun" to play a "heroin addict who was kind of suicidal and a bit schizophrenic".

He said: "It was just really fun it was a crazy thing. Loads of things that I never expected to be doing. Like I was in my pants everyday in front of lots of people and I was playing an American heroin addict who was kind of suicidal, a bit schizophrenic, a lot going on. He was a bust guy."

On 2/9/2019 at 9:51 PM, jengd said:

Just back from seeing American Idiot in Edinburgh and woah, what a show.  It’s quite a different production from last time around.  I am not going to give anything away but we thought there were some brilliant changes in this production, one bit perhaps missed the mark a little and the cast were very good, especially the girls.  St Jimmy was really great, wanted more of him!  Very enjoyable and really rocked, keep you eye on the bassist, the band were fantastic.  Enjoy if you are going. 

Only just seen your comment! I'm gonna be seeing it on the 20th. I'm glad to hear it's a good show, I really liked the London/tour production but couldn't imagine it with the new cast. So intrigued to see the changes!

• 3 weeks later...

I went on Saturday night! I thought it was great - guy who plays Johnny gave his lines some great delivery, and loved seeing former St. Jimmy Lucas Rush on the TV as the rock n roll boyfriend!! He's currently in the UK tour of Rock of Ages so it was perfect :lol: 

I'm seeing it again in Birmingham in a few weeks, can't wait!

9 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

Tonight 😀 eeeek

Have fun!!

@DeJennsitized I agree, that was possibly the best Johnny yet! We were pissing ourselves, he adds to the role that's for sure.

Wasn't sure why they added more sexualisation to stuff, it was fine before and maybe a little ott now, but not too bad! 

I'm going again on Saturday. Then I need to stop..... 

1 hour ago, Goofygoldfish said:

@DeJennsitized I agree, that was possibly the best Johnny yet! We were pissing ourselves, he adds to the role that's for sure.

Wasn't sure why they added more sexualisation to stuff, it was fine before and maybe a little ott now, but not too bad! 

I'm going again on Saturday. Then I need to stop..... 

Lol that's funny, I was thinking afterwards "there cannot be any other musical with more literal middle fingers than this one" :lol: During the first couple of songs specifically, all they seemed to do was give each other the middle finger!

I've seen five different Johnnys now (how???) and though I have a real soft spot for Aaron Sidwell, I did like what Tom did with the role. 

I took @Rumpelstiltskin2000 to see the matinee and evening performances for her birthday in Sheffield yesterday. We had a great time. I was really impressed with Whatsername and especially Extraordinary Girl and Alysha. Letterbomb was my favourite, which is interesting because in the past I'd have picked Are We the Waiting or Last of the American Girls/She's a Rebel (though it's always a hard choice!). I must have seen the leaves falling at the end of Wake Me Up When September Ends before, but I don't remember it :P So that struck me as one of the show's most moving moments. Lucas Rush as the Rock 'n Roll Boyfriend was hilarious. The merch seemed to be better this time too - I really like the badges!

The evening performance had a sign language interpreter and she was amazing! I found myself just watching her at points because she was so impressive dancing and translating at the same time. The cast thanked her afterwards and that was cute. I loved how that made Green Day accessible to people who otherwise couldn't experience what we do.

I did feel that the extra sexualisation and middle fingers were forced and over the top, though. At points it stripped the characters and lines of their loneliness and angst and replaced that with an awkward desperation to seem horny. I've never liked that Johnny gets high to sing When It's Time in the UK productions, either. In the original it was one of his only lucid moments, so showed a deeper love for Whatsername. Their relationship gets shallower every time I see it. But it's Green Day so it's still good :D 

Stuck our memories in my scrapbook now I'm home

tumblr_inline_pp58wuVPL71qh775n_1280.jpg

Had a great time going to see this with @solongfromthestars yesterday.

It was nice to see the original Extraordinary Girl from the Arts Theatre and, as others have said, seeing Lucas Rush as the Rock n Roll boyfriend was hilarious. I thought Tunny was great and an interesting take on Will as a geeky gamer guy. 

I agree with @solongfromthestars about the interpreter. That was cool.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, Goofygoldfish said:

Wasn't sure why they added more sexualisation to stuff, it was fine before and maybe a little ott now

31 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

I did feel that the extra sexualisation and middle fingers were forced and over the top, though. At points it stripped the characters and lines of their loneliness and angst and replaced that with an awkward desperation to seem horny. 

This had me baffled a bit too.  I  know the show has always had this element but it seemed so much it was unnatural.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:51 PM, jengd said:

I am not going to give anything away but we thought there were some brilliant changes in this production, 

Was one of these in Homecoming with the briefcases? That was the one I noticed most.

Found this newspaper review of Sheffield too:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-lyceum-audiences-see-green-day-s-hard-hitting-energetic-show-american-idiot-1-9676556

4 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Had a great time going to see this with @solongfromthestars yesterday.

It was nice to see the original Extraordinary Girl from the Arts Theatre and, as others have said, seeing Lucas Rush as the Rock n Roll boyfriend was hilarious. I thought Tunny was great and an interesting take on Will as a geeky gamer guy. 

I agree with @solongfromthestars about the interpreter. That was cool.

This had me baffled a bit too.  I  know the show has always had this element but it seemed so much it was unnatural.

Was one of these in Homecoming with the briefcases? That was the one I noticed most.

Found this newspaper review of Sheffield too:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-lyceum-audiences-see-green-day-s-hard-hitting-energetic-show-american-idiot-1-9676556

So glad you guys had a good time.  I should have written down all the bits I thought were a bit different but yes, Homecoming had a few things different if I remember. I completely agree with you and @solongfromthestars about over the top use of the middle finger pointing, also how often did we get told that Jonny hadn’t showered?I also think there was more time spent on some of the sex scenes but thought it was great.  Did you guys clock the bass player, he was totally into it it, the band were very good and very involved.

@jengd he clocked us, and at the end said that he was impressed that we knew even the obscure songs, and how some songs were changed for the musical.... We went to meet him after!

@Rumpelstiltskin2000 maybe we're showing our age 😜😜 it wasn't awful with it in, I just felt it was a change that didn't need making. Thanks for the link too 👍

@solongfromthestars I agree about the getting high, it was so intimate with the original cast, and now is a little silly with the pauses etc, that song brings me to tears usually, but this time I was less connected to it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived