Hardest Green Day songs to sing/play on guitar/bass/drums (and why)

deleteduser7593

I would guess on bass -   Probably the  break in "Welcome To Paradise". Also "Panic Song "- legend has it Mike's fingers nearly caught fire playing that :lol:

Guitar - Take Back / Platypus  (really fast song's) / Also most of their from songs from 39 /smooth due to the intense solo's. Judges Daughter is like insane!.

There aren't really any GD songs that are really hard to play. But I find Minority one of the tougher ones because of the construction. You are going from picking to open chords to power chords and back again. 

1 hour ago, AimieeSmith said:

I would guess on bass -   Probably the  break in "Welcome To Paradise". Also "Panic Song "- legend has it Mike's fingers nearly caught fire playing that :lol:

Guitar - Take Back / Platypus  (really fast song's) / Also most of their from songs from 39 /smooth due to the intense solo's. Judges Daughter is like insane!.

those songs really aren't that bad, the bridge in Welcome To Paradise is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and Panic Song is just one note, but yeah holding it that long could be a little painful lol. The bassline in No One Knows seems pretty hard, and of course Dirty Rotten Bastards!

Take Back and Platypus are pretty easy if you're used to playing fast, but I do think that the 39/Smooth songs have more interesting guitar playing than a lot of their other work, those songs seem like they can be tricky! I love his Rock N Roll style solos from that era, way better than the cheesy American Idiot era ones in my opinion

I'm no expert but one that comes to mind is the second part of 21st Century Breakdown (the 'we are the class of' part). Just seems like a lot of chords played really fast :lol: 

The Judge's Daughter, Why Do You Want Him?, Only Of You, The One I Want, Knowledge, and One For The Razorbacks could be contestants for their fairly complex solos but as far as the hardest overall song for each instrument:

Uptight for guitar because the entire first half of the song involves all downstrokes due to the palm muting, i can play the solos to Bohemian Rhapsody and Killer Queen but i can't get through the first half of this song without fumbling my way through with the strumming because it really tires your hand out very quickly doing all downstrokes and you're waiting for the 1st chorus so you can upstroke and give your hand a break. There's a reason why Green Day never plays this one live and it isn't just because the song's super unpopular. Songs like The Judge's Daughter may have hard solos but in this case the entire first half of the song is hard.

Stuck With Me for bass because it's one of the few Green Day songs that have a bass solo (ironically on an album that doesn't have a single guitar solo) although i'm not a bassist so i can't say for sure.

Burnout for drums because it has a pretty fast paced drum solo although i'm not a drummer so i can't say for sure.

She for vocals because of that high pitched yell you give right before the instrumental verse which i heard was a G#5.

4 hours ago, Billie Joe's Fender said:

The Judge's Daughter, Why Do You Want Him?, Only Of You, The One I Want, Knowledge, and One For The Razorbacks could be contestants for their fairly complex solos but as far as the hardest overall song for each instrument:

Uptight for guitar because the entire first half of the song involves all downstrokes due to the palm muting, i can play the solos to Bohemian Rhapsody and Killer Queen but i can't get through the first half of this song without fumbling my way through with the strumming because it really tires your hand out very quickly doing all downstrokes and you're waiting for the 1st chorus so you can upstroke and give your hand a break. There's a reason why Green Day never plays this one live and it isn't just because the song's super unpopular. Songs like The Judge's Daughter may have hard solos but in this case the entire first half of the song is hard.

Stuck With Me for bass because it's one of the few Green Day songs that have a bass solo (ironically on an album that doesn't have a single guitar solo) although i'm not a bassist so i can't say for sure.

Burnout for drums because it has a pretty fast paced drum solo although i'm not a drummer so i can't say for sure.

She for vocals because of that high pitched yell you give right before the instrumental verse which i heard was a G#5.

the scream in she isn't THAT hard. you just have to know how to do it right without holding back. it's a let loose type of scream. that one gets tricky to sing if you tune it to standard because the notes in the chorus get fucking HIGH when you up the key a notch.

also agree with posts here that say for the most part green day songs aren't hard on guitar. old ones are the same 4 chords besides 1,039, as noted before they do have some more complicated, and shall i say, risky progressions. (people STILL make jokes about the 4 chords thing thats how bad it is.) and AI and beyond gets a bit more complicated progression wise but none of the songs are necessarily hard to play on guitar. realistically speaking if as a guitarist you can naturally play fast green day is the perfect band with songs to start learning with.

Hardest song on bass is definitely Welcome To Paradise. The solo is actually pretty easy but there are some super fast fills in the verses and to keep them in time and have them make dynamic sense takes a lot of effort. No One Knows can be a bugger too, there are a couple of big stretches in there. JAR is up there too, holding the notes with a fast string-skip from E to G is INSANE. 

Try drumming the following song's right after each other with no rest :lol:

Jaded

St Jimmy

Take Back

In The End 

Platypus I Hate You

The last bass solo on Dirty Rotten Bastards might be the hardest thing to play on bass in Green Day's discography imo, if you play it as Mike does. 

• 2 weeks later...

Those chords are actually pretty easy to play, all you do for the F is move your E chord down 1 fret, remembering to barre the 1st fret, with B you move your open A chord down 2 frets, remembering to barre the 2nd fret although i recommend not bothering with the high E string.

I'm more or less a beginner since I started playing guitar last April, I've learned 7 Green Day songs so far, and I also sing them while playing. Otherwise I sing along while listening to GD songs. Here's for my small experience:

I've learned simple solos on guitar (like the ones in Lazy Bones and When It's Time, while I started learning X-mas Time Of A Year a few days before Christmas and I couldn't master the solo at normal speed like the rest of the song; it would have required several more days of training). Anyways the solos still come out a little less naturally for me, than the rhythmic part that I feel able to learn on mostly any Green Day song. At the beginning, Going To Pasalacqua was my 2nd song and I remember to have found it hard because of the palm muting that was new for me. And also, singing the right syllable on the right note.Than Lazy Bones, the speed, with downstrokes during the verses. But that speed is no longer a big deal for me since I'm now on Bang Bang, and boy that's fast. Ain't always easy to play clearly and precisely enough when it's that fast. Happily, I'm used to learn to sing and play together, and singing on Bang Bang only makes the guitar part easier, faster and funnier, if that's possible. The bridge is quite painful, though. To keep sliding on the chords, quite at the bottom of the neck. I'm gonna have to learn to play that part without having to look at my left hand all the time, and while singing "Oh baby baby this is viva vendettaaa" :D

As for singing, high notes in She, Hold On or Walk Away, The Forgotten, Oh Love, for example aren't an issue for me, I can sing that high quite easily just by letting my voice go, and don't have to turn it into falsetto. On the contrary, for songs like Restless Heart Syndrome and Still Breathing (Troubled Times and 21 Guns would come next), I'm not always satisfied with the way my voice comes out, even though I sing the right notes and high enough. Singing good isn't all about the right notes, it's also the tone of your voice, its consistence. On some of these songs that are heavier and get me very emotional, it's also harder to let my voice go, and the result is not as satisfying as the majority of GD songs, which often lighten me up quickly, hence I sing them without major trouble. Well, my voice does sometimes break in the "magazine" of Drama Queen. :P

Other kind of hard songs to sing: the very fast ones : American Eulogy, Let Yourself Go. Or the ones with a low range of notes in the verses (almost too low for me): Macy's Day Parade, Whatsername, Still Breathing again, and there must be more I can't think of right now. In some cases I can cheat by singing only the verses a little higher (it works on MDP, but not on SB, because the second part of the second verse is higher than the first half and it would disturb everything to sing the first low notes higher... so, tough shit but I'm training to sing that low :lol:)

• 10 months later...

To be honest, most drum parts and singing parts aren't that bad (I don't play guitar or bass). Songs like Platypus, St Jimmy and Jaded are just fast-paced and are pretty simple.

I would say something like JoS or Homecoming, simply because of the sheer amount of music to memorize.

I would have to say that Mike is the weak link. Billie is the one everyone members and, while Tré doesn't always play the hardest parts (WMUWSE is Grade One standard) he always contributes.

As such, most people who can vaguely play bass can play most of Mike's music. While I can't play guitar, I know that some pieces eg. Bang Bang are quite hard to sing and play at once. Drums? Ehh... Basket Case is surprisingly tough!

If you are playing lead on Revolution Radio, it is a bit tricky to get the timing right. That's the first one that comes to mind. 

When you haven't been playing guitar for very long (like me, a bit more than one year and a half), every song has its difficulty. I've learned to play American Idiot and the solo gave me a hard time. I've also learned Revolution Radio and I found the solo a bit easier, although the intro was difficult. It's quite rare when I learn a song and I find it right away easy. I'm learning Loss of Control, it's quite fast, and as for the solo, while I guess for more advanced guitarists it's just a common rock solo, I'm not handling it for now!

Drums and bass for “Good Riddance” is a bitch. Also can never get my vocals quite right for “Last Ride In” or “Espionage”

Archived