Green Day Live on KZSU 1990 [New Recording]

Todd

Merry Christmas! I'm sharing this remarkable and intimate recording of Green Day performing on the radio in January 1990. Some might say the quality of this is better than that of the actual 39/Smooth recordings :lol: This is probably the best live Green Day recording before the 1992 WFMU performance. Enjoy!

Setlist:
01 - Green Day
02 - 1,000 Hours
03 - At the Library
04 - Going to Pasalacqua
05 - 16
06 - Disappearing Boy
07 - Master of Puppets (Metallica Cover) [Tease]
08 - Sweet Children
09 - Don't Leave Me
10 - Knowledge (Operation Ivy Cover)
11 - I Was There
12 - Rest
13 - Road to Acceptance
14 - The Judge's Daughter

Download here

• Todd changed the title to Green Day Live on KZSU 1990 [New Recording]

Thank's Todd ! this is awesome , John made me laugh when he couldn't remember what "At the Library" was called :lol:

John say's  Disappearing Boy is dedicated to Jennifer is that the same girl who the song is written about ? 

6 hours ago, AimieeSmith said:

Thank's Todd ! this is awesome , John made me laugh when he couldn't remember what "At the Library" was called :lol:

John say's  Disappearing Boy is dedicated to Jennifer is that the same girl who the song is written about ? 

Maybe, but maybe not. They dedicate most of the songs to different girls, so it might just be random. The one that caught me off guard was Juliette- this was before they had toured Arkansas, so how did they know her? Maybe she had visited, or maybe she wrote them letters. Either way, it would only be another year and Billie would have written One for the Razorbacks for her.

8 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

man, listening to this makes me so happy that they dumped john and got tre

Man, I thought we were friends :( 

8 hours ago, AimieeSmith said:

We know there was a Jennifer around the same time.  Whether or not it was the same one...

DQ: Who did you lust after but never get?

Um... (long pause) ...that's a really revealing question.

DQ: Reveal! Reveal yourself! This zine won't go past San Diego--it doesn't
matter.

(laughs)... Wow, there was a girl when I was sixteen--my best friend's
sister. Her name is Jennifer. She's the one that got away. She's a couple of
years older than I am. You know, a sixteen-year-old wanting to be in love
with some girl. It wasn't quite there as far as she was concerned, but I was
there. I was down. I knew what was up, but she wasn't willing to take that
risk so... (laughs)

DQ: What song is about her?

The entire first seven inch.

That was great thanks for sharing. What a piece of history. John really was the original Idiot wasn’t he? 😂 Seriously I watched him at the Sweet Children House of Blues reunion show and thought does he never shut the fuck up? Apparently not, some things never change. He helped them book gigs, he got them connections with Gilman and Larry, gave them credibility and according to this he named a lot of their songs but eventually he really started holding them back and had to go. There wasn’t room for two frontmen he was too dominant for a drummer. Billie and Mike were just kids and they needed him then but not for long. They’re pretty tolerant, I find him to be even more annoying than Tre, who’s only annoying in all the right ways but not when it comes to the band, then he’s solid and dependable like you want. John you never knew what the hell he was gonna do.

And did they say “Billie Joe Valentine”? (I think it was one of those voicemail messages where he said he never wanted his last name to be used but it just got out there. I noticed it wasn’t until American Idiot that he put Armstrong on the album credits) Was he trying that out for a while? And Mike Pritchard, so you know this is early. They were freaking seventeen, it still blows my mind. Think (or think back) to your high school bands doing covers and then listen to The Judge’s Daughter and the guitar solo and you’ll be blown away all over again.  

They were only a band for a little over a year here! Such babies. 

I’m not trying to shit on him, I acknowledged what he brought to the band and I’m sure he’s a great guy but you have to admit they would not have gotten big had he stayed. He was just like a puzzle piece that didn’t fit and it’s pretty apparent.

I don't really mind John's goofy-cringy personality, it has alot of charm to it. My problem with John is his drumming style.

I made a comparison between the Tre`s and John's playstyle maybe a year ago. While Tre` has construction to his parts, John basically does whateverthefuck he wants, and more often than not, it does not fit to the song. Of course it's the "correct" beat and rythm, but he lacked the fill and dynamics that could add the "umf" the song needed.
Most noticeable example is Going to Pasalacqua, Tre knows when the bridge is starting and does a good fill to lead towards it, but John doesn't even know it's coming and keeps the beat the same. In this performance he even plays weaker because he doesn't know what part of the song this is.

To sum it all, Tre` fits to Green Day musically far better than John.

...Nonetheless, I enjoy listening to this gig. Kinda odd for them to play on E standard in this era.

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That was great thanks for sharing. What a piece of history. John really was the original Idiot wasn’t he? 😂 Seriously I watched him at the Sweet Children House of Blues reunion show and thought does he never shut the fuck up? Apparently not, some things never change. He helped them book gigs, he got them connections with Gilman and Larry, gave them credibility and according to this he named a lot of their songs but eventually he really started holding them back and had to go. There wasn’t room for two frontmen he was too dominant for a drummer. Billie and Mike were just kids and they needed him then but not for long. They’re pretty tolerant, I find him to be even more annoying than Tre, who’s only annoying in all the right ways but not when it comes to the band, then he’s solid and dependable like you want. John you never knew what the hell he was gonna do.

honestly, these are my thoughts exactly! I can't stand the banter. I don't mind his drumming on the lookout recordings but I felt like his performance on this show was pretty sloppy.

Sorry Todd!

Man, John deserves all the love that he could get. He wasn't too consistent, but in this show the band sounded really good. Also I like storytellers and talkative people, haha

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think it was one of those voicemail messages where he said he never wanted his last name to be used but it just got out there. I noticed it wasn’t until American Idiot that he put Armstrong on the album credits.

Haha, really? That is hilarious.:lol: I never knew that. Well, that explains why he was so reluctant to answer when the writer of that Spin article in 1994 asked him his real name. “None of your business! First name Billie! Last name Joe!”:lol:

Billie Joe Valentine is the alias Billie came up with in 1990 when he contributed to Absolutely Zippo and played guitar in Blatz :) 

27 minutes ago, Todd said:

Billie Joe Valentine is the alias Billie came up with in 1990 when he contributed to Absolutely Zippo and played guitar in Blatz :) 

I never knew that ! - great info @Todd

21 hours ago, Todd said:

Merry Christmas! I'm sharing this remarkable and intimate recording of Green Day performing on the radio in January 1990. Some might say the quality of this is better than that of the actual 39/Smooth recordings :lol: This is probably the best live Green Day recording before the 1992 WFMU performance. Enjoy!

Setlist:
01 - Green Day
02 - 1,000 Hours
03 - At the Library
04 - Going to Pasalacqua
05 - 16
06 - Disappearing Boy
07 - Master of Puppets (Metallica Cover) [Tease]
08 - Sweet Children
09 - Don't Leave Me
10 - Knowledge (Operation Ivy Cover)
11 - I Was There
12 - Rest
13 - Road to Acceptance
14 - The Judge's Daughter

Download here

thank you very much. I just made the joke that it's better than 39 hahahahahha it's a consensus

3 hours ago, BeautifulNightSky said:

@Big Cheese

Yo, how's the christmas present of losing a friend. :^)

C'mon, man! Stop! I told you if you harassed me, I'd report you!

Now quit spamming Todd's thread!

2 minutes ago, BeautifulNightSky said:

I like how you said Todd's threads like these are holy and sacred. :P

Todd doesn't deserve this crap taking up his thread.

Now, for the last time, leave me alone! I will report you if you do it again!

"Cut the dedications"

Couldn't agree more, radio guy. John doing his best to ruin an otherwise wonderful performance. Makes me appreciate what Tré Cool brings to this band so much more. Thanks for posting, Todd!

Archived