Revolution Radio...Overhyped and Underdelivered

uninvitedguest

As a long time Green Day fan, the release of Revolution Radio first excited me because of the enormous hype train that surrounded it, but after listening to the album several times it started to become very dry and bland to me. In this video I discuss how I feel the hype surrounding the album, ended up hurting the album's success. 

Anyone is open to agree or disagree, as my intention is not to spread hate but to start a discussion.

Thanks, Jon.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how nonexistent promotion can lead to overhyping. The band hardly did anything to promote revrad before it came out, especially in comparison with what they did to hype the Trilogy or Breakdown. It's understandable that fans were excited, but that can't be prevented (nor it should be).

As a long time green day fan also I think the attitude of a lot of fans (not necessarily on here) kind of stinks this time round. What ever happened to albums/music being subjective? If you don’t like it then cool but constantly going on about revrad’s promotion or non promotion or it being overhyped or under delivering is really tiring. Success depends on how you view it 👍🏼

Load of crap. You either like it or you don't. Overhyped? Not at all, the hype you felt was generated by your excitement for a new album. And if you are excited for it then you are probably seeking out every little bit of info you can get from every article reporting on the new album. That's hype created by excited fans and fan forums not by the band. 

To be honest, I don't think that there was a massive hype surroundig RevRad. Sure, there was excitement among fans of the band, but the media didn't hype the record more than they did with other GD albums in the past. There may have even been less media coverage and promotion.

Was it advertised as the next AI? No, I don't think so. It is political so it was absolutely natural that a lot of people saw parallels to AI. But the concept of this album is a totally different one, no one ever said that this is American Idiot part 2. I just can't follow you here to be honest. The guys are interested in political and social issues, so they adress these topics in their music. But that has nothing to do with trying to repeat the success of AI.

Besides, I don't agree with you about the quality of the music. But I guess that's a matter of personal taste.

For one second I thought the mods closed our old unpopular opinion thread and this was the title of the new one :lol::lol::lol:

All the interviews and promotion seemed very low key to me, almost like they were managing people’s expectations by emphasizing that they produced this themselves in a very small studio and the label didn’t even know about it until they were nearly done. It was the complete opposite of hype because they didn’t know how good it would be after such a long break. Turns out it’s a very good album but I think it takes multiple listens over a period of time to fully appreciate. But it struck me as very underhyped because of how casually and simply it came about. 

If Jake McAsshole didn’t already delete his account he’d be all over this thread. 

The only thing that came close to "overhype" was Bang Bang. It hit hard in it's first few weeks, but that really only happened because it came unexpectedly into the public eye, which lead them to play the AMA's. (Who else but Green Day could play an award show without nominations, am I right?)

This video was well made and a lot of good points were made but I personally disagree. The album wasn't overhyped at all. In fact, this was the least hyped GD album since AI. GD weren't the ones hyping the album, they stayed relatively quiet about it. They weren't trying to make it the next AI. And actually, a lot of people were calling 21CB the 2nd AI, not RevRad. I think the reason you were seeing a lot of "hype" was because you' re fan. If you're a fan, you're obviously going to be seeing some hype for the album.

If they wanted to make another AI, they would've put more effort into doing that. But they were making songs about different issues like Bang Bang or Say Goodbye, making other political songs like TT and RR, making a lot of fun sounding songs like BOTW or Youngblood and making some personal songs like SB, FN and SN. This album was less about recreating another AI and more about making a GD album. Nothing more but nothing less.

Billie's always been one to give his opinions on politics. And with the exception of the Troubled Times lyric video and the Bang Bang performance, he kept Trump outside of the music. None of the lyrics on the album seem to be about Trump at all. The album isn't about Trump.

Every time GD makes a more political album, it just gets compared to AI.

8 hours ago, uninvitedguest said:

As a long time Green Day fan, the release of Revolution Radio first excited me because of the enormous hype train that surrounded it, but after listening to the album several times it started to become very dry and bland to me. In this video I discuss how I feel the hype surrounding the album, ended up hurting the album's success. 

Anyone is open to agree or disagree, as my intention is not to spread hate but to start a discussion.

I started seeing interviews the boys were given as soon as the album was released in October. I had just discovered the band, so I didn't compare these with previous periods or albums, but one thing is sure, the boys themselves were everything but overhyping RevRad or trying to present it as AI n°2. Not at all. They didn't respond positively when interviewers made this sort of suggestion, they obviously got it was meant to be flattering and positive, due to all the good RevRad already inspired, but precisely it didn't need comparison with previous stuff in their career. So Billie, Mike and Tre talked about RevRad and only RevRad, in a way I found modest and simple (and certainly briefer than too extended about the songs.) To me, they were also very touching and enjoyable to watch and listen to on these late 2016 interviews, the first stuff I was discovering of them on timing (when I look back now on everything I've watched since, of their whole career, I find them definitely more interesting to listen to nowadays than before.) This quite cool and tranquil way of promoting RevRad could also make people interested and want to listen to it for what it is, without need to compare it to anything already known of their previous albums, and that's exactly how it went for me. I already loved the band before listeing to a whole album, RevRad was my first and I was very excited about it, without having any particular expectations. My listening was mostly like a blank page at first. I was instantly captured by the album, but I didn't capture it at first couple or even dozen of hearings, so kept listening to it while getting in all the previous GD ones. 

Since, RevRad has made its way slowly and deeply in me, ending being my most beloved one of the band's discography. The more I've listened to RevRad (not necessarily 4 days in a row!), the more I've got to love it, and I'm amazed every day about the way some songs make me feel. Some of them I want to listen to all the time in repeat, more than reasonable. More, on the duration, than all their other albums together. I don't think it's only because it's my first album (even though, like I said, the fact I was like a blank page without anticipation of any kind maybe helped to get as naturally as can be in the album), RevRad just doesn't need anything outside itself and the listener, to keep, lose or develop its appeal to that listener. And whatever that becomes is personal and entitled to each and everyone of us.

All this to say, I honestly dislike and disagree with the point you explain in your video, I just believe that if you have ended currently to find RevRad "very dry and bland", it's your taste and I don't know if / how you would want to make a sense of your feelings' evolution, especially when your explanation is based on stuff you're saying quite about the band only (stuff with which, once again, I disagree as a whole), instead of describing your feelings for the songs and the way they may have evolved due to different interpretations of yours, or change in some of your interests, I don't know... Taste for songs and music is really only a matter of feelings and the way you personally relate to it.

I have no idea where the hell you’re getting the idea of the album being over hyped. If you wanna talk over hyped talk about Long Road Out of Eden by The Eagles, Concrete and Gold/Sonic Highways by Foo Fighters, California/ Neighborhoods by Blink 182, Def Leppard’s latest album, etc. An album that had average promotion and almost all the songs were damn good on it isn’t overhyped

LOL, where is this over hyping you speak of? RevRad was minimalist as all hell:lol:

-well, except for the merch :ermm:

And as for under delivered, well it was certainly better than (most) mainstream albums released recently, in my opinion

Also, Revolution Radio was a completely different beast from AI. It has different motivations, appropriate for a different time; and furthermore the flopping and desiccation of RevRad is due more to the fact that the public simply isn't/wasn't interested at this point in time. (Need I recall the zombie faces from the No Trump, No KKK chant?)

He did make a good point about the bloatedness of the Trilogy though, which much like when the same thing happened in the Warning era, they've recovered from nicely

I don't understand the rabid dislike of the Trilogy. The Trilogy is WAY better than RevRad.. the production, melodies, inspiration, guitar tones.. EVERYTHING.. it's like night and day. For me, RevRad only overtakes the pre dookie albums.

"Overhype" is a weird concept anyway. Like, albums being hyped is just called "promotion". Artists and labels do it so more people buy the music. What is the correct amount of hype in your opinion? "Here's RevRad, idk it's mediocre, buy it if you want idk."

In terms of fans overhyping the album, well that's just called being a fan. Of course people are excited about a new album?? I'll never not be overhyped for a Green Day album because they're my band for life and I love to support them.

4 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

I don't understand the rabid dislike of the Trilogy. The Trilogy is WAY better than RevRad.. the production, melodies, inspiration, guitar tones.. EVERYTHING.. it's like night and day. For me, RevRad only overtakes the pre dookie albums.

I'll give you the melody aspect, trilogy stuff was catchy, but everything else was off for me. The guitar tones are really underwhelming for me and I think it takes away a lot of punch that some songs might have had.

^ I was thinking the same thing, I don't understand the concept either. You can "overhype" the album for yourself and then feel let down when it doesn't meet your expectations, but all albums get some kind of promotion by the band/label because of course they want people to buy it, and with RevRad there wasn't even much of it. I totally was over-excited for the album, but I know that's just the matter of me being way too happy about any new stuff Green Day put out :P 

Archived