Working on a Blue Replica

Nick854

I'm working on a replica of Billie Joe's Blue.  Starting pretty much from scratch.  I will update with more pictures as I go along.  Any tips or advice is appreciated.  

If you wanna make it as exact as possible, I recommend buying a 1981 Fernandes RST-50 with a maple neck and 7 screw hole pickguard. It's impossible to find this model in the same colour as Billie's so I would recommend getting one in a different colour and getting it repainted and reliced (if you're after that kind of thing). This is what I've done and it set me back about $1000USD but it's definitely worth it.

I made a thread about 6 months ago with all the technical changes Billie has made so I would also recommend checking that out so you know what to buy

I'm still in the process of making mine, which is currently being painted, but check out my blog if you wanna see how I do it

Start collecting all sorts of stickers because you'll need a buttload of these.

Also, as far as I know BJ not only unplugged the neck & middle pickups as Liam's thread says but also mechanically jammed the 5-way switch (or unplugged that, too) so it's stuck in the bridge position. Read it somewhere, not sure if I can find it again.

I'm kinda confused you painted the body before routing out the cavity for the humbucker, though, because obviously that's gonna need more space than the original singlecoil.

3 hours ago, Tim Age said:

Start collecting all sorts of stickers because you'll need a buttload of these.

Also, as far as I know BJ not only unplugged the neck & middle pickups as Liam's thread says but also mechanically jammed the 5-way switch (or unplugged that, too) so it's stuck in the bridge position. Read it somewhere, not sure if I can find it again.

I'm kinda confused you painted the body before routing out the cavity for the humbucker, though, because obviously that's gonna need more space than the original singlecoil.

I decided to paint it first because his would have probably come routed for single coils originally.    

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived