Overproduction

greenalert997x

I want to know if you generally consider Green Day music as overproduced? Billie’s vocal effects really bother me. I know, American Idiot is also full of vocal filter (kind of megaphone effect) but his voice was deeper back then. Nowadays he sounds more childish, I think it’s unncesessary to emphasize it. Sometimes I get the impression that the vocal was created by a robot or voice generator (e.g. Carpe Diem – ‘Breaking in a sweat, like a bomb threat’, Wow That’s Loud –‘Shake it like it's so enlightening’  Little Boy Named Train – ‘Like a lifelong daisy chain, of my imagination’). I like the trilogy, but the first word that comes to my mind to describe those albums is overrproduction. I know it was talked over but I’m just curious what is your attitude toward Billie’s sweet vocal filter and polished sound. Revolution Radio is much better, when it comes to production and sounding but I wish they hadn’t record second Insomniac, considering that only they were responsible for recording process :D

After AI era my favorite kind of Billie’s studio voice is on Another State of Mind and Like Rolling Stone. Most natural ones.

Actually RevRad had the same or worse problems with production than the trilogy or AI. But most of those problems come due loud mastering.

Check this video (and few others) to get your own conclusions

46 minutes ago, greendepent said:

Actually RevRad had the same or worse problems with production than the trilogy or AI. But most of those problems come due loud mastering.

Check this video (and few others) to get your own conclusions

oh nice, I had no idea videos like this existed! I know there's some with Chris Lord Alge with Holiday/Blvd but I didn't know about this one! I actually think he could have done a way better job with the bass on revrad, it sounds dull to me. the trilogy had some great bass tones in my opinion, one of my favorite things about it actually haha

Billie's tin can vocals don't sound very good to me. I believe much of their newer music, especially the trilogy, would sound better with less produced vocals. 

To be honest, Billie Joe whiny and 17-wanna be vocals are totally ridiculous and one of the main reasons I just can't stand the whole trilogy. 

With the exception of the trilogy, I don't think Billie's vocals have sounded that different from album to album. On AI, 21CB and RevRad, I don't see a whole lot of difference on Billie's vocals. 

I've always felt like I have a hard time hearing the bass in most of their songs anyone else feel that way?

it's not that Billie's vocals are overproduced lately they're the same as they are as on AI and 21st it's just the way the music is recorded on the trilogy on down AI and 21st was LOUD so the effects of Billie's vocals wasn't that noticeable take the loud to a clean tones and not in your face loudness and use the same amount you can hear the difference 

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

it's not that Billie's vocals are overproduced lately they're the same as they are as on AI and 21st it's just the way the music is recorded on the trilogy on down AI and 21st was LOUD so the effects of Billie's vocals wasn't that noticeable take the loud to a clean tones and not in your face loudness and use the same amount you can hear the difference 

RevRad was "loud" though and the filters are very much there. Much more than the Trilogy.

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

RevRad was "loud" though and the filters are very much there. Much more than the Trilogy.

Yes but it was recorded differently than how they did AI and 21st and mixed differently 

4 hours ago, greenalert997x said:

I want to know if you generally consider Green Day music as overproduced? Billie’s vocal effects really bother me. I know, American Idiot is also full of vocal filter (kind of megaphone effect) but his voice was deeper back then. Nowadays he sounds more childish, I think it’s unncesessary to emphasize it. Sometimes I get the impression that the vocal was created by a robot or voice generator (e.g. Carpe Diem – ‘Breaking in a sweat, like a bomb threat’, Wow That’s Loud –‘Shake it like it's so enlightening’  Little Boy Named Train – ‘Like a lifelong daisy chain, of my imagination’). I like the trilogy, but the first word that comes to my mind to describe those albums is overrproduction. I know it was talked over but I’m just curious what is your attitude toward Billie’s sweet vocal filter and polished sound. Revolution Radio is much better, when it comes to production and sounding but I wish they hadn’t record second Insomniac, considering that only they were responsible for recording process :D

After AI era my favorite kind of Billie’s studio voice is on Another State of Mind and Like Rolling Stone. Most natural ones.

Nice post, and it's nice to see another person in here with knowledge. 

I understand your points, but it's really a 'to each their own' kind of thing, rather than a good thing or a bad thing. 

I personally LOVE the evolution of Billie's voice. I think it's sounds better now than ever, and the trilogy was really the beginning of a more professional 'less punk accented' type of voice. I understand what you mean in terms of the 'childishness' type sound in the vocals, and you picked really good lines in the trilogy to emphasize that, but I think if you look at the trilogy written from a third person perspective 'Billies demons', it's more brilliant than anything. I think only a certain group of people can pick up on something like that (people who understand addicts are incredibly childish).

In terms of production, I think 'overproduced' is not exactly the best way to put it. The trilogy is just extremely polished and 'perfect' like.. there isn't a single blemish on the damn thing, and the guitar sounds are ridiculously focused. You just wouldn't expect that level of attention to detail on songs this simple, but it's there, and it's amazing!

In case you can't tell, I like the trilogy.

It depends on the song. X-Kid for example, the production on the vocals really work and improve the song. Still Breathing, not so much. 

Yah there are some songs here and there that I think are too sugarcoated:

East Jesus Nowhere

The Forgotten

Oh Love

X-Kid

Dirty Rotten Bastards

But hey! Green Day has some masterpieces! Like anything off 39/Smooth and Dookie :D To me their most beautifully written songs are: Boulevard of Broken Dreams, FOD, Amy, Before the Lobotomy, 21 Guns, and Last Night on Earth. 

1 minute ago, missmiley said:

But hey! Green Day has some masterpieces! Like anything off 39/Smooth and Dookie :D To me their most beautifully written songs are: Boulevard of Broken Dreams, FOD, Amy, Before the Lobotomy, 21 Guns, and Last Night on Earth. 

FOD seems like a funny choice in there among all those ballads :lol:

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

FOD seems like a funny choice in there among all those ballads :lol:

I love it because of the lyrics and the way it starts slow then kicks off into action :dance:

42 minutes ago, greendepent said:

The acoustic guitar on FOD suck ass. And that's why sounds so good hahaha

A perfect description of all the beauty in punk music... X0

Archived