Your Memories of the Revolution Radio Era

RedundantIdiot

Las Vegas with 50 of my closest GDC friends and then Wrigley Field.  Best of times with great friends and 2 really fun shows.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing ill never forget is sometime in mid july of last year, someone on one of the threads said it was awfully quiet on GDC today and i came in and said just wait till billie posts anything at all on instagram. He could post a picture of him eating breakfast and someone on GDC would be all HES DRINKING 2% MILK SO THAT MEANS WE'LL HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT IN TWO DAYS. And my reply got somewhere around 40 likes i was so happy lol

• 7 months later...

Rev rad was actually the first green day album i ever bought. Before i was a greend ay fan i kinda wasn’t that into music and i just listened to 5sos cuz they are sorta pop punk and i liked their music. Eventually i discovered a cover of American idiot that they did and i loved it so I decided to check out some green day stuff. I went onto youtube and I watched some of their music videos and i loved American idiot and basket case but the other songs didn’t really stick with me as much (a lot of songs that i love i need to listen to them a few times before i fall in love with them so eventually i “came around”(wink wink) and enjoyed the others) but then I found all of the lyric video for the rev rad songs and I became obsessed with them so I bought the album on my phone and quickly that blossomed into me becoming a green day fan. (Btw sorry half of this was about how I discovered green day i kinda just needed to give some background)

When BJ fell on stage & it really looked like he was hurt.  Honourable mention for @Hermione he also did a huge spit on stage that night🤬

9 hours ago, SHART said:

When BJ fell on stage & it really looked like he was hurt.  

Do you mean this one?

This always looked bad to me until I saw the recent Longshot one from San Fran where he fell back on the stage after crowd surfing that looked worse. Both times though the Energizer Bunny gets right back up 💪

BANG BANG was about to be debuted, and I sat at my computer waiting and waiting for it.  I usually need several listens before knowing if I like a song, but BANG BANG was straight forward, yet a little different for the guys.  I instantly loved it and knew that I would spend every hour until the album release desperately searching to hear every last note of Revolution Radio.  

Then the lyric video came the next day and I must have watched it a trillion times.  I used screen shots of it as my facebook cover photo (I'm sweating bullets like a modern Romeo)  and was so excited about Green Day's slightly updated sound.  

And then......Still Breathing.  I cried when I heard it.  The first time.  and every time since.  I had been diagnosed with cancer in 2014 (right around the same time as Mike Dirnt's wife, and close to Jason White's bout as well)  By 2016 I was winning the fight, but it's not a war you ever want to be a part of.   Every word of that song just hits home.  And to know what Green Day went through leading up to it, it's just powerful.   

Billie fought his demons.  Mike supported his wife through her fight and Jason had his own personal trials.  I feel like Green Day and I were going through so many of the same things, not only their music but their personal struggles helped me deal with my own.

The whole album is great, and the performances I watched online were too.  While the comparisons to American Idiot were a bit misleading, the Rev Rad Era was a success by my standards and I couldn't wait to see what was coming next.   

Unfortunately, it was all too brief.  The first two singles had great videos, I actually heard them on the radio and in other places.  But the third single (the title track) was just sort of thrown out into the world with a lousy video and no promotion at all beyond that.  Never heard it on the radio, and I'm absolutely sure that nobody other than us GDA users have ever heard it before.   

and then nothing.   No spectacular 4th and 5th singles broke my heart.  Even after their greatest hits album came out, I hoped they would surprise us with more Rev Rad. 

Some later singles have done well (When I Come Around was a 4th single) and the 5th ones are great too:  

She

Jesus of Suburbia

Last of the American Girls

X-Kid (the fifth in total of the Trilogy singles)

Rev Rad was a joy and I know their next album will be too.   

^^^ It may just be with the changing music industry not only do people move on to the next current thing much quicker, but rock music isn’t popular like it once was. So the label’s strategy may be come out punching with your strongest material and then move on. As little as nine months later (when the RevRad single was released) your album is already considered old.

Recently my 17 year old was referring to a band or artist’s album and she described it as an old album. I asked how old and she said it came out two years ago. That’s OLD 😄

On 7/19/2018 at 10:32 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

^^^ It may just be with the changing music industry not only do people move on to the next current thing much quicker, but rock music isn’t popular like it once was. So the label’s strategy may be come out punching with your strongest material and then move on. As little as nine months later (when the RevRad single was released) your album is already considered old.

Recently my 17 year old was referring to a band or artist’s album and she described it as an old album. I asked how old and she said it came out two years ago. That’s OLD 😄

Definitely the changing music industry, and I think maybe Green Day themselves wanted the Rev Rad Era to be more simplistic than other releases, something like that.  My son is about a month old and I'm always thinking about what kind of music will be popular when he's a teenager (2031-2036).  Hopefully Green Day will still be making great albums and doing what they can for Rock N Roll. 

Man, the 30s!  Us 80/90s kids are OLD! 

Archived