Your Memories of the Revolution Radio Era

RedundantIdiot

Now that the touring has come to an end, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can talk about our own memories of this wonderful era. Here's my essay:  

Early last year I treated myself to an IPod after quitting my awful, old job and moving to a newer happier job. I remembered how I loved to listen to GD on the radio during the AI era, so I went out and bought AI. Around the same time, Billie posted the 1st selfie from the recording studio and before I knew it, GD had hold of my heart like a hand grenade!

My daily routine in the past 22 months has pretty much been wake up, go to work, come home and look at GD news/use this forum.  I was so excited when the Bang Bang announcement was made and I remember rushing up to my room when I came home from work to listen to Bang Bang for the 1st time. I'm not so keen on the Bang Bang music video but I've loved all the other videos, including the recent Back in the USA. Rev Rad is one of my favourite GD albums and it is pretty much the soundtrack to a new, happier era of my life. 

Then the tickets for the European arena tour went on sale. When I told Mum and Dad that I wanted to go to the Leeds gig I was shocked that they wanted to come too! Unfortunately, the tickets were snapped up so quick only I got a ticket- but Mum and Dad still came to Leeds with me and we still had a lovely family weekend away! I remember going to the little girls room in the train station and I noticed that the sink taps were Armitage Shanks taps, and I thought to myself 'wouldn't it be funny if they played Armatage Shanks tonight'. Well to my surprise- they did play Armatage Shanks! Honestly, it was the best gig I've ever been to. My only ''complaint'' is that the two and a half hours passed too quickly! I feel honoured to have seen one of the best bands on the planet and I wish I could use a time machine to take me back! 

There's been a lot of great performances and some funny moments during many of the gigs, such as Billie forgetting lyrics and GD being introduced as Gods Favourite Band! I've also loved all the Instagram lives and Facebook lives. There's way too many to mention, but they made me howl with laughter on many occasions. And whoever decided to give GD muppet puppets also made me laugh a lot. I will also mention Billies window picture and Billie running around in his underpants as being two memories that have become ingrained in my mind. I've also liked all the little surprises such as Billies homemade Troubled Times video and the unexpected Back in the USA video.

Lastly, I've really enjoyed looking at pictures/footage of a band that so clearly enjoy playing together. After everything that GD have been through it is so poignant to see them laughing, smiling and embracing each other during gigs. This for me is the cherry on the Rev Rad cake. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Glasgow show. :fuckyou:

But in all seriousness, obviously the band being happy is amazing and the music being phenomenal and the live shows being amazing. (Something something setlist something something King For A Day). Watching Bang Bang over the work's wifi seems like a age ago now. 

Seeing my friends again is always so nice and happy, meeting a whole bunch more has been absolutely lovely. it's always nice to be surrounded with people who you can have a laugh with and share a joy about a common purpose especially when you're dealt with a show cancellation. I don't get to see the "Idiot Family" as much as I/we would like to meet between albums so hopefully that will change.

Highlights being: The 02 show where the person I became queue buddies with got to come up for KYE (even though she took what felt like a age to stagedive after the song) and the Sheffield show which was so good, one of the great things about the band is they treat Sheffield which is a smaller city than London and treat it as good as/if not better where other bands would phone it in.

Let's hope we all get to do this again sooner rather than later.

Spoiler

I also have to mention meeting the band as well. :wub: 

I literally only became a fan about a week before Bang Bang was released, so I was just in time and I'm so glad I didn't miss out on anything from this wonderful era.

I remember hearing Bang Bang for the first time and it instantly became one of my favourite songs. The more I've listened to it, the more I've fallen in love with it, and its my 2nd favourite song ever atm. In my personal opinion, most bands that have been around this long are way past their prime by now - they still make decent songs, just not as good as they used to be. With Bang Bang, GD really proved that they've still got it, and that is absolutely extraordinary.

I remember counting down the days until RevRad was released - it was all I would talk about all day in the run-up to the release date, and my friends (who are not GD fans) were so pissed off at me.:lol: Then, when RevRad was released and I finally listened to it for the first time... I was disappointed.:cry: I think that was because Bang Bang was the first song I'd heard from it, and the rest of the songs just could not compare to it, imo. So I gave RevRad a few listens, and the only songs I really liked at first were Bang Bang, Youngblood, Troubled Times, and parts of Revolution Radio. I ended up discarding RevRad for the next 2 months, and continued listening to GD's older albums. Then, around Christmas time, I started listening to RevRad again, and it really grew on me. It's still in the bottom half of my GD album ranking, but I appreciate it so much, and I don't know what the fuck I was thinking when I first heard it. Also, I didn't like OW at first, but one time I was listening to GD as I was trying to get to sleep, and it came on shuffle and I totally fell in love with it - it's such a nice calm song that helps me relax, and it really felt like BJ was singing me to sleep.:lol::wub:

My next significant memory of the RevRad era is seeing Billie's window picture on instagram. I knew from the minute I saw it that these guys were gonna be my favourite band for a very very long time.:lol:

I also loved it when they announced that they'd be performing on Good Morning America on May 19th because that's my fucking birthday.:runaround::dance:However, I had to wait until I got home from school before I could watch it because of the time difference. I did have a lovely birthday evening watching some new pro-shot footage of them though - my own special birthday gift from my boys.:wub:

The next significant memory is a sad one for me. I thought I wouldn't be able to see them on tour this cycle because it was exam season at school the first time they came to England, so I couldn't miss school. However, the second time they came to England, my mam really tried to get tickets to the Sheffield gig (because it was the only one I could possibly attend), but they were sold out and we couldn't afford the scalper's prices. So unfortunately, I didn't get to see them this time.:cry: But I'm hopeful that their next tour cycle will be the time that I finally get to see my boys play live for the first time.:happy: And I did really enjoy following the thread for the Sheffield gig here on GDC, even though I wasn't there. Billie thinking that the crowd were calling him a cocksucker absolutely made my day.:lol:

There are so many other things that I've loved about the RevRad era that I haven't mentioned (such as that beautiful performance of AI in Germany when the power went off, or that genius livestream for Hurricane Harvey relief, or the puppets, or the instagram lives, or the BITUSA video), but I realise that my post is getting a bit long and I need to shut my mouth because I could go on forever.:lol: I just want to say that I couldn't have asked for a better era to experience as I became a fan. I've had my ups and downs, but this era really has changed my life for the better and I'm so thankful that this band exists because I really don't know where I'd be without them. I truly believe (and hope) that the next era of GD will be even better than this one.:dance:

I've loved the RevRad era so much. From being on here and for the first time actually feeling like a proper part of the community, to being lucky enough to have the means to go to five shows this era. 

We'll not talk about Glasgow :tired: but there have been so many other amazing moments. The moment I heard Bang Bang (on Virgin Radio, on the computer in work, and sitting next to my least favourite colleague who started asking me shit IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SONG), I was in love. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the new release after the trilogy, but the guys know just how to surprise everyone constantly (unless we're talking setlists of course.)

Then the moment I read a tweet about a "massive gig" in Belfast being announced and I thought 'haha wish it was Green Day girl can dream right.' BUT THEN IT FUCKING WAS AND I WAS NOT OKAY. Seeing your band in your hometown is magical. I had Leeds and London in February before that which were amazing too (we'll not mention nearly passing out in Leeds or witnessing the friend I dragged along to London having a panic attack during the beginning crowd surge), and Dublin and Hyde Park in June/July. Dublin was freezing and wet, but with the Squad in my pocket ( :wub: ) I endured, and despite having to leave during the encore, it was one of my favourites. Hyde Park was a dramatic shift in weather - I got sunburnt! And some girl was scratching at my arm throughout the gig trying to get me to move (fuck no, YOU move). 

But despite all those little things, my love for this band and appreciation for all that they do overshadowed it all. My obsession came back in a massive way, probably even more than it did the first time around. I'm so happy that they're all doing so well, Billie is healthy and happy, they're still kicking and giving us quality content and meme worthy moments (Facebook live anyone?) 

Here's to a kickass era and to the next one!

After a couple of false starts, I finally got to see them in Mansfield just two days before my birthday this year. A friend of mine works for the radio station promoting the show they did a week before the album came out, and he had me guest listed. Of course, I only found that out an hour after receiving the news that my wife had cancer.

Then they played Worcester on St. Patrick's Day. Perfect date to see your favorite band, which happens to be called Green Day, right? Yeah, well. I ended up having to eat the money on those tickets, because the wife's surgery for said cancer was scheduled for that morning.

But then we both got to see them play in August. It's hard to describe just how cathartic that was for the both of us; I don't think we've ever sang louder or more emotionally than we did that night. It didn't matter that we've heard most of those songs a dozen times or more live; it didn't matter that the crowd in the pit might as well have been watching a jazz show. The band played with an inspiring, youthful vigor. It was our reward for the hell we (especially Kathleen) went through for the nine months prior.

Today she went for her final chemo treatment and was told she can consider herself cancer-free. These will be my lasting memories of the RevRad era.

33 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

You're welcome to take my post if you like! #lazy

1 minute ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Better Era as far as the band's spirit goes, but the new music was not even close to as good as the trilogy. 

I'm stuggling not to post the Michael Scott gif because I disagree so much with this :lol: 

For a matter of performances and following the tour, this era started promising but after that, the band sticked with a set of singles and hits. For a band that has a good number of records and songs, they manage pretty bad their catalogue.

For a matter of conection with people, I met people in real life finally that I have met in the internet several years ago. And also did a few friends in this new travel. And most importantly, I got almost all my friends together between the two shows that I have assisted in this tour. Thanks Green Day for that!

EDIT: I saw them messing up Basket Case! That won't ever happen again :lol:

I got to see them in UK! TWICE! AND WITH RANCID! 

I went to THREE gigs! I can't believe it! (and they played Paper Lanterns, Welcome to Paradise, F.O.D., Armatage Shanks, Scattered, Waiting :wub::runaround::dance:)

Nothing's better than home, specially for a concert (sorry England, it's the truth)

Forever Now is one of my favorites songs of the album, gave me goosebumps live. (Probably they'll never play it again :cry:

Hyde Park, Sheffield, Buenos Aires 2017! Next tour USA, Germany and/or Japan! 

I saw them at a club show in Boston at the begining of the tour. I only managed to snag one ticket so I went to the concert alone. Two girls came up to me on the floor and asked if i was with anyone, i said no, so they said oh well youre with us now. They let me tag along with them for the rest of the night.

Green day fam is the best fam.

I just remember waiting around to hear the single new single Bang Bang and being on GDC reading and getting excited with everyone else. And once I heard the song, I was so ecstatic. Green Day were back! And then I got to see them again in a rare experience: the club tour. It was amazing and I will never forget how @Whatsinaname took me, a stranger, to the show! It was my favorite moment of last year and one I still look back on with so much joy and happiness. Just seeing the fans excited about the music and the band happy to be back on stage and connecting with fans made the era that much more special, especially with how the Trilogy era had its own issues and it was filled with worry and some sadness. But this era was just a joy to be a part of.

1 hour ago, gd86arg said:

Forever Now is one of my favorites songs of the album, gave me goosebumps live. (Probably they'll never play it again :cry:

Why won't they play Forever Now live again?

All the shows and the wonderful people I met. :wub: 

Saw them 11 times. Krakow, Oslo, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Brussels, Luxemburg, Gothenborg, Belfast, Dublin, London & Sheffield. 

During queing for the winter gigs I just kept telling myself that it will be better for the summer shows. Belfast and Dublin proved me wrong. :lol:

I'll never forget when we were waiting for Bang Bang on Virgin Radio and they called me to talk about it. I was scared shitless :lol: But I was the first fan to talk about RevRad on the radio, which was pretty cool.

Ever since I first saw Green Day, it was my dream to see as many shows as I physically could on a tour. After saving and preparing for years I did it. I've had the most incredible experiences, from seeing them close to home in Leeds ("FUCK YOU I'M FROM ENGLAND!") to Green Day in Green Bay. I finally found the courage to go up on stage and hug and sing with my hero, in the middle of nowhere in the US. I thought Green Day had already empowered me as much as was ever possible before this tour, but now I've done so many new things I could never have done before because of them. The tour has been representative of that in so many ways. Sure I had a few bad experiences too, but the band always made it more than worth it and looked out for me. I'll never forget any of the shows I saw.

So this era will always be defined by the tour for me. I'm not so sad that it's over, because now there's a new, possibly even better era to come. There's no doubt about who I am, I always have tomorrow. 🎶

The best moment is them playing 86 in Lima ! - It's hard to beat that really  :lol:

Wow, I don't even know where to start, this past era was magical. I went to 5 shows (3 in Germany, Austria and Hyde Park), which means that I've seen and heard around 12,5 hours of Green Day live in front of me this year, but it still feels like it just wasn't enough :P They are my drug.

2012/13 were tough years for me, struggling with and recovering from a disease. Me and Green Day took a break. It's not like I turned away from them or something, they have always been in my heart, but I was just too busy with my own life and dealing with my own shit, I just wasn't as involved with Green Day and music in general as I usually am. The RevRad era tore down the wall my private shit had built between me and Green Day with a "bang bang" ( :D) and I felt closer to them than ever. They basically wrote the soundtrack to my life with Still Breathing. I will never be able to put into words how much that song means to me, I fucking love it more than anything the guys have ever done before.

My favorite show of the 5 was the one at the Nova Rock festival in Austria because the crowd was insane and I had never laughed more at a Green Day show. Billie had to pick three people to play the guitar on Knowledge because two sucked and the boys were more on fire than I had ever seen them before. Hyde Park was a surreal experience too and I got to spend a wonderful weekend in London, where I'd never been before, and I really, really love this city! Oh and I almost ran into Mike in Soho, I must've missed him by seconds because I ran into @jj0407 minutes later and she had just met him. I hate my timing :lol:

I loved waking up to new cute pictures, Instagram Lives and other stuff every day, my favorite was the Facebook Live they did backstage in Cologne. I loved discussing every tiny bit of news, like interviews, videos or pictures with you guys. RevRad has been by far my favorite Green Day era and I can't wait for the next one. Thank you Green Day for being and staying in my life and thank all of you for being as crazy for those three guys as I am.

So many memories. First, the announcement of Bang Bang and RevRad! I had been a fan for a while before but I had really just become a huge fan I think around 2014, so the hype for the trilogy was gone at this point. This was the first time I was going to properly experience a new GD album. And I remember hearing Bang Bang, Revolution Radio and Still Breathing before the rest of the album. And then when the album leaked and I heard it, I was so shocked to be actually hearing  all this new GD music for the first time.

It's kinda sad that this RevRad era is coming to an end but I'm excited for what's next to come for Green Day. Hopefully some more experimental music, maybe some politics (as long as they're not just the typical "revolutionary" songs, we have enough of those). I'd like to see them kind of push themselves again, like they did with 21CB (but not too much like they did with the trilogy)

This era was so magical and beautiful that I don't even know where to start.

The announcement of a new song, of the album, the FB lives, all the cute pictures on IG, the IG lives, the videos, the puppets (!!!), the interviews. I was away of Green Day for a while before this era started, I was getting obsesed with other things, I mean, I still loved them, but I was busy knowing a lot of new stuff. But this era, man, this era reminded me how much I love this fucking band, how grateful I am to have them in my life, how happy I am that Billie looks so much better and healthier than ever. This era was my comeback to GDC after being away for a while lol. 

We saw a lot of shows on periscope and FB lives and that was awesome, especially that person on periscope who streamed the whole show, that was so cool. 

But the best moment of this whole era was when they announced the show here in México, I remember how a lot of you tagged me here on GDC to let me know this was happening and you wrote a lot of really nice things about that, and I would never forget it. I bought my ticket and I waited and waited. This past Sunday I finally saw them live, yes, they were in front of me, they are real, they were there, I saw them. I'm still tired and I'm still crying cause I can't believe all of that happened, this post-concert depression is killing me. 

So yeah, AI would always be my favorite era but now RevRad era is right there with it, they cameback to my life again and I finally saw them live, the show in México was the end of this beautiful era and I guess that should tells you how important was to me. 

Thank you, Green Day, thanks for still being here. Take your time, get some rest, I hope i can see you on the next tour :wub:

12 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Tell me how many times did they play 21st Century Breakdown, East Jesus Nowhere, Murder City, American Eulogy, The Static Age, Viva La Gloria!, Before the Lobotomy after 21st Century Breakdown Tour... They just played 1 song every gig, Know Your Enemy... Even 21 Guns was played just for the last 2 legs of the RevRad Tour... What about the trilogy during RevRad Tour? 

I remember waiting by the computer, waiting to hear BANG BANG for the first time.  I was sooo pumped for the new album, and then "Still Breathing" came out and I cried so much and listened to it on repeat for ages.  The album is fantastic, the singles were great and I'm still not entirely sure the era is over just yet.  I know the greatest hits is out and all, but aren't we still getting Somewhere Now / Forever Now singles?  And Ordinary World?   

If not, it's cool.   Overall a pretty sweet era in the bands career.  Great songs, great shows and I feel like the band is reenergized and ready to great things.  

Safe to make an ALBUM 13 thread yet?   Pretty please?   It's about time we start speculating incorrectly about how the new album will sound, if it will be a sequel to a previous album, if it will suck, not suck, etc.   IT IS TIME.   

14 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Gotta make room for King For A Day for the next tour. 

14 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I remember waiting by the computer, waiting to hear BANG BANG for the first time.  I was sooo pumped for the new album, and then "Still Breathing" came out and I cried so much and listened to it on repeat for ages.  The album is fantastic, the singles were great and I'm still not entirely sure the era is over just yet.  I know the greatest hits is out and all, but aren't we still getting Somewhere Now / Forever Now singles?  And Ordinary World?   

If not, it's cool.   Overall a pretty sweet era in the bands career.  Great songs, great shows and I feel like the band is reenergized and ready to great things.  

Safe to make an ALBUM 13 thread yet?   Pretty please?   It's about time we start speculating incorrectly about how the new album will sound, if it will be a sequel to a previous album, if it will suck, not suck, etc.   IT IS TIME.  

We're actually already debating it here:

It's never too early to get pumped for the new era! :runaround:

The song Somewhere Now existing seeing Forever Now live tops everything :wub:

And Billie's legendary window pic :lol: 

Thinking about it, the Rev Rad era corresponds exactly to a new chapter in my life. After 2 years of just working in a backstore at a low salary, I decided to go back to school to learn costumes designing even if I already have diplomas in history. I was so affraid on the first day of school because I'm way older than my classmates. But, on the very first day, I met a girl who became one of my best friends I've ever had. One thing we have in common is our love for Green Day and, while talking about the band one day during a pattern making class, we figured out that we saw them live at the same concert in 2010. At the time, we didn't know each other.

Anyway, when we heard that GD was coming in Montreal in March, we only knew each other for like one month and half. We set up a plan to buy tickets because we had school the day they went on sell. I'm sure nobody in the school never saw before 2 girls running like crazy with a computer through 5 floors just to get the wifi after a class to buy concert tickets. XD The concert was awesome. I was with 2 of my friends and another girl. One of my boss and her boyfriend won tickets for the concert and their seats weren't so far away from my seat. And the said boyfriend went to the concert with his Joker cosplay (I never understand why). I stayed outside the Bell Centre until the tour buses left for Quebec City.

One month later, even if I have few money left, my friend (the other one who was at the concert with me in March) and I bought tickets for the  concert in August in Toronto. It was a nice roadtrip to Toronto with us singing and joking all the way to there. The concert was awesome too. And we ended in front of the hotel GD were staying at we were while going back to our hotel after the concert. So, I briefly met Mike.

Good memories. I would love to write more, but I need to go now.

Archived