Poll - How do you feel about Green Day playing album songs at much faster tempos live?

1039Revolutions

Does Green Day's playing album songs at faster tempos live make the song sound better or worse?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've noticed that Green Day tends to play a lot of their songs at faster tempos live. Personally, I think it can REALLY take away from the song quality. I began to really notice it during the 99 revolutions tour with songs like 99 Revolutions, Stay The Night and Letterbomb. I think Stay The Night would sound superb live, (especially) the bridge, if they just played it at the same tempo as the album.. but I guess they want to fit in as many songs as possible. 

When the “I don’t wanna think about tomorrow” part starts in Forever Now live they slow it the fuck down. 

I think they play them faster to get people into the mood of the concert and get them going.

Personally I think it'll be boring when it's slower. But what do I know I've never seen them live lol I only saw videos :lol:

I get what you mean and why you have a problem with it, but to me personally I don't mind because of the extra energy it can bring to the song and the performance and the crowd. It's fine by me as long as they don't speed it up a ridiculous amount that it almost becomes like a completely different song all together.

Don’t care about the tempos as long as it doesn’t sound rushed, and if it’s a trilogy song like 99 Revolutions that gets sped up then it’s over quicker and I’m happy :P

I literally never notice it when I'm at a show, and am only aware of it from people saying they do it, so I feel nothing :P 

I actually love that they play the songs faster. I've been to 5 shows this year and got so used to hearing the songs at a faster pace that I was really surprised when I listened to the album version of Holiday lately and it felt so horribly slow :P

Other bands tend to play the songs slower live, like The Rolling Stones (don't know if they always did that or do it now because of their age, which is totally understandable). But for me, the slower pace is way more annoying when you're singing along and you're always one or two lines ahead of the frontman. :lol:

It doesn't ever bother me. But I suppose it depends on the song. Some songs sound better slower and some faster

I honestly never noticed they do this before someone said it, so it's not an issue for me. 
But I think playing some of the songs a bit faster can be good for the live show, as opposed to slowing them down; it doesn't take away from the song quality imo.

They certainly played with more SPEED in their younger day's ;) - I don't notice much now though .....

I never really noticed when they sped up, but I was listening to American Idiot from AAF one time and it sounded super fast :lol: 

I get why they do it, there's so much adrenaline when playing in front of an audience that it's hard not to speed up. But it absolutely murders St Jimmy. And, like, they're one of the tightest bands in the world and must know they're doing it, chill the fuck out and play stuff in the way that makes it sound best. Which is usually slower.

18 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

but I guess they want to fit in as many songs as possible. 

If that was the case they could skip an hour or two of hey-ohs as a starting point :P 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I get why they do it, there's so much adrenaline when playing in front of an audience that it's hard not to speed up. But it absolutely murders St Jimmy. And, like, they're one of the tightest bands in the world and must know they're doing it, chill the fuck out and play stuff in the way that makes it sound best. Which is usually slower.

If that was the case they could skip an hour or two of hey-ohs as a starting point :P 

That's true. Im sure a part of they 'Hey-hos' and the long ass King For A Day is to give Billie a chance to catch his breathe for the last part of the show. 

I agree with you whole heartedly. I started to notice a bit during the AI tour with JOS. I understand it's a long song, but its AMAZING and shouldn't be rushed through. Then it seemed prevalent during the 99 Revilutions tour.

18 hours ago, SHART said:

My complaint on the OZ tour was that WICA seemed to be played too slow.

I've noticed this, too. It's honestly one of the few songs where I notice a tempo difference at all. The speed-ups usually don't bother me though.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:17 AM, Jon Benjamin said:

When the “I don’t wanna think about tomorrow” part starts in Forever Now live they slow it the fuck down. 

I think they get a click or similar in their in-ear for that part, there's a lot of timed pyro for that.

With WICA, I noticed that it was too slow simply because I couldn't jump to it properly. I do like most songs played faster, AI sounds great sped up, Jaded is easily my favourite song to speed up.

I appreciate the songs more when they're played at their original speed. I'll take Ramones as an example. Their 1995/1996 shows feature songs with an average of 50/60 BPM over the original speed. At a certain point the music just becomes noise and I can't stand it. That's not the case for Green Day though :happy:.

Generally I prefer original speed but I think speeding up some of the songs helps them live. I’m just so thankful they haven’t done the opposite. I hate when bands play their songs too slow lIve. It kills the energy.

2 hours ago, End Of The World said:

I appreciate the songs more when they're played at their original speed. I'll take Ramones as an example. Their 1995/1996 shows feature songs with an average of 50/60 BPM over the original speed. At a certain point the music just becomes noise and I can't stand it. That's not the case for Green Day though :happy:.

omg yeah, the Ramones literally doubled the speed of the songs live :lol: Fun fact, I first heard Blitzkrieg Bop via a live version and thought that was how fast it actually was. Then I heard the studio version and it sounded super slow in comparison!

I'm good with it. Songs also sound edgier live, particularly Boulevard of Broken Dreams and I like it.  

I think playing songs slightly faster works for a live concert and while I haven't firsthand witnessed Who Wrote Holden Caulfield live the AAF version pains me when they slow it down

Archived