Welcome To Paradise: Kerplunk! or Dookie?

Yosuke Hanamura

Welcome To Paradise has been one of Green Day's staple songs for a long time now, hence why it has it's own single, and it's been re-released on two greatest hits compilations up until this point. When most people talk about the song though, they're usually referring to the version on Dookie, which may lead some people to forget that the song was originally intended for Kerplunk! Personally, the Dookie version is a massive improvement. The clear sound of the Dookie re-recording, along with the energy that the Kerplunk! version was lacking made it the definitive version for me. But i'd like to hear all of your opinions, what version of Welcome To Paradise do you like more?

I’m glad we have both. I agree it’s much improved on Dookie and the higher notes on the “some call it niiiice” lines make it sound brighter and more upbeat. But it’s fun to listen to it on Kerplunk too and get to sing it differently when you sing along. 

I love both versions for different reasons. The Dookie version is the better recording, but sometimes I just really want to listen to the Kerplunk version.

dookie. recorded better, arranged better, tighter and more energetic. kerplunk is great too and sometimes i wanna listen to it but 95% of the time its dookie. sucks that theres no live versions on albums though except for the dvd part of AAF.

4 minutes ago, imXieli said:

dookie. recorded better, arranged better, tighter and more energetic. kerplunk is great too and sometimes i wanna listen to it but 95% of the time its dookie. sucks that theres no live versions on albums though except for the dvd part of AAF.

There's a live version of WTP on the official live album "Foot in Mouth" as well. Only released in Japan I believe.

Kerplunk always!!! The rough and ready sound is just perfect for a song about striking out on your own living in a squat, everything about it including Billie's younger/less mature voice really gives it a fitting vibe for that subject matter. And then there's the spooky noises during the instrumental part :wub:. It's a really cool song full of interesting quirks and the fact they were living what they were singing about, still getting by the best they could in life and in making music, was reflected in it and gave it something that can't be reproduced.

The Dookie version is OK but the plus of having a punchier/better quality sound nowhere near equals the original's charm. It's much less interesting. I skip it on Dookie.

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Kerplunk always!!! The rough and ready sound is just perfect for a song about striking out on your own living in a squat, everything about it including Billie's younger/less mature voice really gives it a fitting vibe for that subject matter. And then there's the spooky noises during the instrumental part :wub:. It's a really cool song full of interesting quirks and the fact they were living what they were singing about, still getting by the best they could in life and in making music, was reflected in it and gave it something that can't be reproduced.

The Dookie version is OK but the plus of having a punchier/better quality sound nowhere near equals the original's charm. It's much less interesting. I skip it on Dookie.

Wow that’s an interesting perspective. They weren’t millionaires yet when they recorded it for Dookie but I see what you’re saying about the trashier production matching the song.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Wow that’s an interesting perspective. They weren’t millionaires yet when they recorded it for Dookie but I see what you’re saying about the trashier production matching the song.

I can't believe everyone else has unanimously said Dookie so far :lol:. It's not even just the production, young Billie yelping along to the music fits so much better with the subject too, and it's overall just more interesting sounding. 

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I can't believe everyone else has unanimously said Dookie so far :lol:. It's not even just the production, young Billie yelping along to the music fits so much better with the subject too, and it's overall just more interesting sounding. 

I actually thought about that as well. The more underground sound along with Billie's voice being more calm adds a sense of helplessness that isn't really present in the Dookie version.

30 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I can't believe everyone else has unanimously said Dookie so far :lol:.

That's why I once posted in the unpopular opinion thread that I prefer the Kerplunk version :D I usually prefer the Dookie production, but not with this song. The Kerplunk version is just rougher and more honest. Especially the "some call it slums, some call it nice" part sounds so much better on Kerplunk.

i think that welcome to paradise on dookie the beginning guitar part sounds badass but on kerplunk as many of you have said has a certain charm to it 

Welcome to Paradise is a great example of why a re-release of Kerplunk and/or 1,039 would be fascinating. Imagine how those albums would've sounded with professional recording and mixing. I love them both and listen to them occasionally of course (used to be 100% of the time back in the early 90's), but I'd probably listen to them nonstop if they didn't sound so tinny. I bought the remastered versions a few year back when they did this, but the improvement was only minimal.

I think a re-release for charity causes would be huge if they ever chose to do this. The odds of this happening are probably 0% but it would be astoundingly cool. 

Dookie version all the way. Sometimes I feel that I don't like 39/Smooth and Kerplunk as much as other albums just because of their sound. (Too much) raw, not "full" and with several imperfections. Do you imagine songs like 80, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, I Was There, No One Knows (just to name a few) mixes with Dookie settings. It would be EPIC.

Yeah I agree. And I would also love to see 1,039 and Kerplunk songs rerecorded. The Dookie versions of WTP and 409 in your Coffeemaker are great and it'd be awesome to see the rest of the songs rerecorded.

On 11.11.2017 at 5:57 AM, TimmyChunks said:

Welcome to Paradise is a great example of why a re-release of Kerplunk and/or 1,039 would be fascinating. Imagine how those albums would've sounded with professional recording and mixing. I love them both and listen to them occasionally of course (used to be 100% of the time back in the early 90's), but I'd probably listen to them nonstop if they didn't sound so tinny. I bought the remastered versions a few year back when they did this, but the improvement was only minimal.

I think a re-release for charity causes would be huge if they ever chose to do this. The odds of this happening are probably 0% but it would be astoundingly cool. 

They also re-recorded 409 In Your Coffe Maker, which also sounds much better than the original version.

And yeah, Dookie all the way. There's simply no competition against their best production.

I think it would be boring if they just sounded like Dookie, the early albums have their own special vibe and charm and making them sound like Dookie would mean they lost that and just became inferior Dookie songs. Like it would be interesting to hear as an alternative I guess but I love 1039 and Kerplunk how they are. For songs about being young and inexperienced you can't beat the young and inexperienced band playing them.

Maybe I just don't care about sound quality that much, but although when I first heard 1039 and Kerplunk the quality did sound strikingly bad/different to their later albums after a few listens it didn't seem so striking any more and by now I barely notice at all. They sound fine to me.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Making them sound like Dookie would mean they lost that and just became inferior Dookie song.

I'm not sure about this part. Actually, I think that a few re-recorded Kerplunk songs would sound even better than some Dookie songs, seriously. I mean, 1989/1992 Green Day songs have a very good potential, I just don't like how that potential is expressed. There are too many imperfections, some imprecise drum rolls and (at times) unnatural variation in tempo. I understand how you like their original sound better than an hypothetical Dookie version, but I see it as a way to fully exploit the potential of their earlier songs. :happy:

3 hours ago, T@l said:

They also re-recorded 409 In Your Coffe Maker, which also sounds much better than the original version.

And yeah, Dookie all the way. There's simply no competition against their best production.

I thought I was going to prefer the re-recording of 409 when I first heard it. Surprise to me, I actually did prefer the original for the reason I actually prefered the Dookie version of WTP. It's faster and more hard hitting.

• 1 year later...

I agree with @Hermione on most of what she says here, if not all but I like both, they feel different to means I love both for different reasons.  Overall I love the rawness of Kerplunk and the feeling of being able to look back and see the potential of the band.

Ive always wondered why they didnt record with Kevin Army back in the day. The production style of Energy by Op Iv would have suited 39/Smooth much better than the tin can recordings we got. 

Archived