Eyeliner Collab Billie & Kat VonD

Billie Joes Eyelids

Why oh why did they not cash in on this back in the AI days when it was a bigger thing?!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhm, he's lost a couple punk points right here but it's totally hilarious :lol:

I wonder if this has to do with the new management or not.

2 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

just tell me if it costs like 5 times more than the shit that already does the job

you can count on it :P

3 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

just tell me if it costs like 5 times more than the shit that already does the job

55 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

you can count on it :P

Aaaand we'll be willingly paying for it. :lol:

Make emo great again!

3 hours ago, Tubbie Head said:

In my opinion Billie doesn't look very good with the eyeliner that heavy but I can see it working well in video format :P

I agree, I think it's too much like this but will need to spend a good bit of time studying the photos when we get them, just to make sure you understand, whoops, wrong thread I guess lol

I think it's a great thing they're doing, since they're friends and are working together already anyway :D

how fun would it be if it was liquid eyeliner though :P

(and yeah they put too much of that stuff on him...)

I can't see any of the insta posts on the work computer (shh I'm not here) but I'd totally buy an eyeliner or five :D At least it's a product that's actually useful to me :lol: 

3 hours ago, emmericanidiot said:

Why oh why did they not cash in on this back in the AI days when it was a bigger thing?!

I thought the same thing but the truth is you didn’t need to back then, a musician made their money selling records. Times have changed, and merch, licensing and branding are what fill the gaps when people stop buying music. 

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I thought the same thing but the truth is you didn’t need to back then, a musician made their money selling records. Times have changed, and merch, licensing and branding are what fill the gaps when people stop buying music. 

He may not have been involved with an eyeliner product, but he did do merchandising back then. He had a whole clothing line geared towards the punk scene. I don't think it was hugely successful, but he was trying to capitalize on the success of AI with other products.

8 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

He may not have been involved with an eyeliner product, but he did do merchandising back then. He had a whole clothing line geared towards the punk scene. I don't think it was hugely successful, but he was trying to capitalize on the success of AI with other products.

Yeah he did, but that seemed like more of a personal interest (like his Oakland businesses) than an actual business necessity. I don’t think those side projects made any money. This one with the licensing of his signature and collaborating with an already established major brand is meant to. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing mind you, just that it’s become a common thing for celebrities to do across the board on a larger scale than they have in the past.

1 hour ago, MMwhatsername said:

Aaaand we'll be willingly paying for it. :lol:

Make emo great again!

This is the part of consumerism that baffles me. Sure, when I was 16 and on my all-time high as a fan, I had buttons, tshirts, posters and magazines, but this is different. I was flaunting that shit to myself and others. This is something you apply to your face, and unless someone happens to ask you what eyeliner you're using you're paying more just because it has "Basket Case" written on it. What if you just wrote it on the side of the pencil yourself? I don't understand. 

10 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

This is the part of consumerism that baffles me. Sure, when I was 16 and on my all-time high as a fan, I had buttons, tshirts, posters and magazines, but this is different. I was flaunting that shit to myself and others. This is something you apply to your face, and unless someone happens to ask you what eyeliner you're using you're paying more just because it has "Basket Case" written on it. What if you just wrote it on the side of the pencil yourself? I don't understand. 

I suppose it's just like a collector thing? Or just wanting to support the band by buying the thing.

Maybe just a different piece of marketing.  Kat Von D lipstick did really well, I think, for Project Chimp so maybe this will also be for that or just a different dimension to her marketing.  After all, it's got us talking about it and showing interest already.  Result!

55 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Good point, kinda sad though.

I think this is definitely aimed more towards the make up obsessives and the KVD fans though, I like make up but this doesn’t really interest me as I’m cynical and I think it’s the same as any other product just with different packaging/name.

36 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

This is the part of consumerism that baffles me. Sure, when  This is something you apply to your face, and unless someone happens to ask you what eyeliner you're using you're paying more just because it has "Basket Case" written on it. What if you just wrote it on the side of the pencil yourself? I don't understand. 

Yeah, basically this :lol:

I personally don't care about make up all that much but I always use eyeliner and I'm assuming, based on a post Adrienne made a short while back, that KVD's products are cruelty free. I already pay extra for good brands so as long as it's not absurdly priced it's not impractical for me at least to buy it. No idea what she charges for something like this though. 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah he did, but that seemed like more of a personal interest (like his Oakland businesses) than an actual business necessity. I don’t think those side projects made any money. This one with the licensing of his signature and collaborating with an already established major brand is meant to. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing mind you, just that it’s become a common thing for celebrities to do across the board on a larger scale than they have in the past.

I wouldn't call this an actual business necessity. I don't think he needs to do anything out of necessity anymore. My guess is he is doing it because he wants too or maybe just to help out a friend. I believe Kat and him are friends. I honestly don't see this any different than his other business ventures.  

Do the fans complaining that he's a sellout and they now hate him know about the John Varvatos shoot? Maybe we shouldn't tell them...

32 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

Do the fans complaining that he's a sellout and they now hate him know about the John Varvatos shoot? Maybe we shouldn't tell them...

Tell them, who gives a fuck :lol: It's not like this is completely out of character, the guy's been wearing eyeliner since he was a teenager, and we know he's friends with Kat so this collaboration makes complete sense to me!

1 minute ago, Jenn. said:

Tell them, who gives a fuck :lol: It's not like this is completely out of character, the guy's been wearing eyeliner since he was a teenager, and we know he's friends with Kat so this collaboration makes complete sense to me!

bUt NoW hE's SeLLinG iT

44 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I wouldn't call this an actual business necessity. I don't think he needs to do anything out of necessity anymore. My guess is he is doing it because he wants too or maybe just to help out a friend. I believe Kat and him are friends. I honestly don't see this any different than his other business ventures.  

Yeah they're friends and both supported the Project Chimp thing. Doesn't seem like something he's doing because he particularly needs the money to me, more that she's a friend plus it's a cool and ethical product.

1 minute ago, Billie Hoe said:

bUt NoW hE's SeLLinG iT

ThE pOwer of CoNSUMerIsM comPELs mE

I wonder if a portion of sales will go towards Project Chimps since they're both involved.

There's rumors flying around that Kat von D. is a nazi sympathizer because her ex was, or something? I saw people taking offense in that, but does anyone actually know more about it? I don't know what to think about it and I didn't find much 

(Nobody seemed to have a problem with it though when they worked together on Project Chimps, when she tattooed him, when Adie posted pictures of her lipglosses on her instagram... so I guess their real problem is that he's advertising for something and that's "not punk")

I honestly thought people were over the "he's a sellout because he's wearing make up!!!!!111!!" thing by now but if they're not that just makes this all the more entertaining :lol: 

Also men wearing eyeliner is hardly a widely accepted thing. Advertising it as a product for women and men seems fairly punk to me :P. I like the "anti precision" angle on it, I guess it'll be a big fat one.

Archived