Eyeliner Collab Billie & Kat VonD

Billie Joes Eyelids

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah they're friends and both supported the Project Chimp thing. Doesn't seem like something he's doing because he particularly needs the money to me, more that she's a friend plus it's a cool and ethical product.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying he needs the money by any means when I say it’s a business necessity. I just mean that’s the nature of the music business today. I can guarantee he made a tiny fraction off of straight sales of RevRad than he did from his albums fifteen years ago. That’s true for everybody. And I’m not saying it’s a sellout or bad thing, just an industry adapting to reality. He may indeed be choosing this collab to help a friend and like the product, one does not preclude the other. But an artist will do all kinds of things included licensing their songs to movies and their name to products to plug the gaps in revenue.  If people seem offended by that I’m not sure why.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

There's rumors flying around that Kat von D. is a nazi sympathizer because her ex was, or something? I saw people taking offense in that, but does anyone actually know more about it? I don't know what to think about it and I didn't find much 

(Nobody seemed to have a problem with it though when they worked together on Project Chimps, when she tattooed him, when Adie posted pictures of her lipglosses on her instagram... so I guess their real problem is that he's advertising for something and that's "not punk")

I don't follow Kat Von D but my friend does and she's never mentioned it but idk. And it's not like it's the first thing Billie's brought out a signature version of. Guitars? The converse?

This anti-precision Basket Case eyeliner has my name written all over it ;)     Hopefully it's for charity but, if not, I still don't see it as a sell out.    If anything, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now but the fact it is happening now, after these many years, when he's 45 for god's sake, is pretty cool.    Her brand fits with the band and her other eyeliner products are among the best I've tried so I shall likely make a purchase or three.

4 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

I don't follow Kat Von D but my friend does and she's never mentioned it but idk. And it's not like it's the first thing Billie's brought out a signature version of. Guitars? The converse?

Billie could take a shit in a 5 star hotel and people will call him a sellout, it doesn't matter what he does lol

5 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I honestly thought people were over the "he's a sellout because he's wearing make up!!!!!111!!" thing by now but if they're not that just makes this all the more entertaining :lol: 

Also men wearing eyeliner is hardly a widely accepted thing. Advertising it as a product for women and men seems fairly punk to me :P. I like the "anti precision" angle on it, I guess it'll be a big fat one.

I'm hoping it's a pencil, I think that's what Billie would normally use. I use one of those twisty pencil ones that Rimmel do so I'd be really happy if it was one like that!

11 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Billie could take a shit in a 5 star hotel and people will call him a sellout, it doesn't matter what he does lol

Honestly the angrier he makes punk elitists the better :lol: 

I take this as totally Billie being Billie and doing exactly as he wants which is punk to me, you don't like it, fine, the doors over there.  I don't think anyone was meaning they were unhappy with it though, I think @Jane Lannister was the first to say mention the punk element but I didn't think she had a problem with it but could be putting words in her mouth.  It cracks me up that at 45, here is Billie Joe looking totally awesome promoting eye liner, good on you man.

Okay am I really the only one who thinks that he looks totally ridiculous with this much eyeliner? His entire eyelid is black ffs :lol:

5 hours ago, -Billiejoezee- said:

Joan Jett and kat von D are slaying 

Omg Joan Jett can just have me whenever she wants. That woman.... :wub: 

30 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I honestly thought people were over the "he's a sellout because he's wearing make up!!!!!111!!" thing by now but if they're not that just makes this all the more entertaining :lol: 

Also men wearing eyeliner is hardly a widely accepted thing. Advertising it as a product for women and men seems fairly punk to me :P. I like the "anti precision" angle on it, I guess it'll be a big fat one.

Yeah it's shocking that it's not just seen as the norm. That's why we still have people who call it "guyliner." C'mon guys, get over it. :dry:  Men can wear  make up and feel fabulous too. 

7 minutes ago, jengd said:

I take this as totally Billie being Billie and doing exactly as he wants which is punk to me, you don't like it, fine, the doors over there.  I don't think anyone was meaning they were unhappy with it though, I think @Jane Lannister was the first to say mention the punk element but I didn't think she had a problem with it but could be putting words in her mouth.  It cracks me up that at 45, here is Billie Joe looking totally awesome promoting eye liner, good on you man.

Oh yeah I don't think anyone here is saying that, I just mean if people elsewhere are making a fuss!

6 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Okay am I really the only one who thinks that he looks totally ridiculous with this much eyeliner? His entire eyelid is black ffs :lol:

So is Kat's :P. I think he rocks the look.

38 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

I thought it was mentioned that eyeshadow was involved too... Regardless, it is a bit much :lol:
I think this collab is great. They're friends, and considering how long Billie has been wearing eyeliner/make up... it's not too much of a stretch to say he'd involve himself in something like this.
I was with my friend last night when the "news" was broken on here, and her words were "I'm surprised he hasn't done something like this sooner"

Welp, I'll be having an excuse to buy another eyeliner. Haven't done so in months, so this is great. I assume it should be between $20-$30 dollars. Would be slightly surprised if it was $40 , but not too much.

1 hour ago, jengd said:

Yes, I wasn't 100% serious when I said that. However, to be honest, I don't like when people capitalize on stuff that has nothing to do with their actual job, so I wouldn't be very excited if Green Day opened a chain of stores. Billiemart. (Who am I kidding? We would all shop in there. :P ) But on the other hand, I think the eyeliner ad is pretty cool. It's an ad which is something I dislike but it at least it's for a pretty cool thing plus how often can you see middle aged guys promoting eyeliner :lol: I don't like it but I don't hate it 

1 hour ago, Billie Hoe said:

I think he has eye shadow on too so they didnt just color his whole eyelid with liner lol.

It'll look better in the final prints, heavy makeup like that is for photoshoots. 

It’s a makeup ad, so I would expect there to be heavy makeup worn in it, more than the average consumer would wear when buying it. I think it looks cool for an ad (not the supermarket 😁)

I love how articles are saying they've announced it...
I mean, nothing has officially been said - it's just been some good investigating that's been done.

Truth: I have a set of pink luggage that was about $2500 from Kat Drochenberg and I didn’t even know who she was until then and I thought she just made funky luggage and I only know her name because my wife loves to drop that our luggage is by her. She’s a make up line creator?

Makes sense. I was just saying how Billie really hasn’t been wearing eyeliner this tour though. In fact, I usually like to wear some guy liner at shows I am not ashamed to admit (really makes my eyes pop, love it). Actually had a debate with my wife if I should bring it into everyday life but Billie has been mostly sans eye liner this tour, no?

3 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Truth: I have a set of pink luggage that was about $2500 from Kat Drochenberg and I didn’t even know who she was until then and I thought she just made funky luggage and I only know her name because my wife loves to drop that our luggage is by her. She’s a make up line creator?

Makes sense. I was just saying how Billie really hasn’t been wearing eyeliner this tour though. In fact, I usually like to wear some guy liner at shows I am not ashamed to admit (really makes my eyes pop, love it). Actually had a debate with my wife if I should bring it into everyday life but Billie has been mostly sans eye liner this tour, no?

That made me laugh :lol: 

I think Kat is best known as a tattoo artist - she's done a few of Billie's tattoos :) 

6 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

He had at least some eyeliner on at most shows.

Wear it if you like it! I think it's awesome when guys go for it, it's really cool.

1 minute ago, Jenn. said:

That made me laugh :lol: 

I think Kat is best known as a tattoo artist - she's done a few of Billie's tattoos :) 

Isn't she a burlesque artist or a dominatrix or something like that too? 

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Just noticed he's handcuffed to her (only saw the handcuff belt before). Oh my.

The best part of this post is the “oh my”. Don’t ask my why. You’re so sheltered. It’s adoraable.

3 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Isn't she an burlesque artist or a dominatrix or something like that too? 

I don't think so? It's not mentioned on her wiki page. Maybe you're thinking of Dita Von Teese? :P 

Just now, Jenn. said:

I don't think so? It's not mentioned on her wiki page. Maybe you're thinking of Dita Von Teese? :P 

Hahaha yeah that must be who I mix her up with all the time. They are both Von, have a T in first names and an ee sound in last names. I thought they were one person :lol:

4 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

He had at least some eyeliner on at most shows.

Wear it if you like it! I think it's awesome when guys go for it, it's really cool.

Isn't she a burlesque artist or a dominatrix or something like that too? 

Thanks JL. Depending on the situation, I have and do. She definitely looks like she could be a doninatrix and as @Hermione has pointed out with an “oh my” that they are wearing cuffs, it would lend credence to your thought.

@Hermione this is what I thought of when you said that although a dainty female version.

6 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

The best part of this post is the “oh my”. Don’t ask my why. You’re so sheltered. It’s adoraable.

Not really, that would be me politely censoring my full thoughts :lol: 

Archived