Green Day announce new greatest hits album ‘God’s Favourite Band’ – featuring new song

Daddy.

5 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Why write a song that’s already been written?

Billie's post is better written than that song :P yeah, it would make sense if Green Day's Back In The USA was a Chuck Berry cover. I wouldn't really mind though, I haven't listened to the original version so when I'll hear the Green Day one I'll just listen to it as a completely new song. :wub:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God...the lyrics in that song are pretty awful :ermm: Sincerely hoping they do not cover that. It actually reminded me of an interview the guys did in Kerrang or NME back in AI time. Mike and Tre were complaining about people who write songs like that about how great America is (after 9/11) and Tre said it was people who never left their little piece of land and were like all I need is my truck and my house etc and America is the greatest because they've never been anywhere else to see that it is not. His point being everywhere was equal and he hated that attitude about how much more free America was or how much more anything it was than elsewhere. It was a great little quote from Tre. 

This whole part is pretty tedious 

14 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Well, I'm so glad I'm livin' in the USA
Yes, I'm so glad I'm livin' in the USA
Anything you want, they got it right here in the USA
I'm so glad I'm livin' in the USA
Yes, I'm so glad I'm livin' in the USA

It is like a Trump rally USA, USA, USA. So yeah... Please don't be this song.

45 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

God...the lyrics in that song are pretty awful :ermm: Sincerely hoping they do not cover that. It actually reminded me of an interview the guys did in Kerrang or NME back in AI time. Mike and Tre were complaining about people who write songs like that about how great America is (after 9/11) and Tre said it was people who never left their little piece of land and were like all I need is my truck and my house etc and America is the greatest because they've never been anywhere else to see that it is not. His point being everywhere was equal and he hated that attitude about how much more free America was or how much more anything it was than elsewhere. It was a great little quote from Tre. 

Yeah...I mean I don't have thing against what Billie said or has been saying about what he's been getting out of this country lately. I think it's a worthwhile point that there are plenty of good people across the country and what not. But I agree that these lyrics aren't great and I think that a song this patriotic while Trump is president is too far. Unity, loving the many good people and good things about the US, being inspired by everyone standing up for their rights, all of that is great and worth writing about in a positive way. But this song sounds like a propaganda song or something. 

I am kinda thinking that if they do actually cover Back in the USA, it would be more sarcastic rather than sincere. I'm not necessarily the sound will SOUND sarcastic, but the message is what will be sarcastic

2 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Except a black man wrote it in the 50’s when they didn’t have a lot of rights... 

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

Except a black man wrote it in the 50’s when they didn’t have a lot of rights... 

Yeah exactly, I don't think it's blind patriotism or saying it's the greatest country. Sounds to me like it's just celebrating the enjoyable parts of the culture (with nothing to do with government or being the best country etc) and the familiarity of it, like glad to be home. Being against a shitty government doesn't mean you're not allowed to say anything good about your country, if anything part of being that is talking about the good aspects of the country and why they need preserving.

4 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Except the song was written by Chuck Berry who certainly had travelled and certainly knew about the bad side of the USA as a black man. The song is about travelling abroad and then coming back and being glad to be home with all the everyday familiar pleasurable things that that you missed, it has nothing to do with saying America is the greatest/better than any other country.

You'd have to be pretty dumb and/or know nothing about Green Day to think they were spouting blind patriotism by covering this song. I agree with Zebahar that it would have a different edge to it covered by them, some element of sarcasm maybe but also a "there's good things about this country that I like and therefore it deserves better" implication. 

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah exactly, I don't think it's blind patriotism or saying it's the greatest country. Sounds to me like it's just celebrating the enjoyable parts of the culture (with nothing to do with government or being the best country etc) and the familiarity of it, like glad to be home. Being against a shitty government doesn't mean you're not allowed to say anything good about your country, if anything part of being that is talking about the good aspects of the country and why they need preserving.

Except the song was written by Chuck Berry who certainly had travelled and certainly knew about the bad side of the USA as a black man. The song is about travelling abroad and then coming back and being glad to be home with all the everyday familiar pleasurable things that that you missed, it has nothing to do with saying America is the greatest/better than any other country.

You'd have to be pretty dumb and/or know nothing about Green Day to think they were spouting blind patriotism by covering this song. I agree with Zebahar that it would have a different edge to it covered by them, some element of sarcasm maybe but also a "there's good things about this country that I like and therefore it deserves better" implication. 

This. And I think everything you describe here is implcit in Billie’s post. By returning to the country and traveling across America, he’s reminded of what he loves about it. I think it’s hopeful, not nationalistic. He was accused online by jerks of not loving his country because he criticizes the government and that made him so mad he got into a long debate with someone about it on his instagram. His post and a song like this (whether his or Chuck’s) would express his point of view. At the very least you can see that it’s been on his mind.

You beat me to it, got a YouTube notification about Godify and thought wtf?  Should have known who that would be 😂 

Godify instead of Spotify :lol:

Did anyone else notice at 0.13 it says friend activity Satan, I write sins not tragedies by Panic at the Disco? :lol:

I actually think that the video is very clever. And I like that there’s more pro-shot Video footage of the tour in between. I guess I‘d have been even happier if the announcement was: God‘s Favourite Band, all the hits, two (or realistically possibly) one new song and bonus: live footage...

Still, this video is awesome!

Not gonna lie, that album cover art looks great on vinyl! *my wallet gently weeps*

22780183_1959522164373492_19572605676237

And this is amazing too :lol:

22728984_1959523054373403_84816774038646

18 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

Did anyone else notice at 0.13 it says friend activity Satan, I write sins not tragedies by Panic at the Disco? :lol:

Too busy laughing at “ fuck Satan”..... think we all may burn in hell,...... or not lol

Ooh my gosh, I love the way they're going all out with the God thing. I love this ad and I love the fact they did an ad for an album! You don't see too many of those now.

32 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

Well they do share the same manager now so...

1 minute ago, Sarcasm said:

The ad says "two new songs", am I tripping? 

Well they do count OW as a new song because it’s a new duet.

1 hour ago, RedundantIdiot said:

It also says Jesus is listening to Papa Roach haha.

Archived