Green Day announce new greatest hits album ‘God’s Favourite Band’ – featuring new song

Daddy.

48 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I would have had a hard time picking a first single off Uno if it were up to me, there are just so many great power pop songs.  Nuclear Family, Carpe Diem, Rusty James, Stay the Night, Oh Love -- any one of those would have made a great first single.  

About time the Trilogy gets some love from somebody!  

Things could have been so different (including this greatest hits album).    Originally the Trilogy would have probably produced 9 singles, 3 per album.     

Oh Love, Kill the DJ, Let Yourself Go.   

Stray Heart, Amy, Stop When the Red Lights Flash 

X-Kid, 8th Avenue Serenade, 99 Revolutions 

This yet again makes me kind of sad that we never got to witness the full extent of their plan, or lack of one.  An entire Green Day era - wasted and gone.  Looking at those song choices I feel like they could have done better, but we all feel that way about a lot of their single choices, so what do we know?   Amy could have made some waves, Stop could have been the hard and fast rocking success like Bang Bang .  X-Kid is one of my all time favorites, a shame it never got a chance.  8th Avenue and 99 Revolutions, maybe.  Just maybe.  

The 3 disc monster would have been a hit and then they wouldn't have thought twice about a massive 2 or 3 disc greatest hits.   Maybe it would have come out before Revolution Radio or after.   Oh man.   

I was going to do all these lists of different greatest hits, but I won't do that.   What I really want (and I just may make my own) is a 44 song set with all the singles.  

I do need some clarity on a few songs.   Were Poprocks and Coke and Maria actually singles or not?  I Fought the Law and Shoplifter?   These are the only ones I'm unsure of.   

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maria is a promo single, Poprocks And Coke was released as a single in Japan and as a promo in the US and Spain, I Fought The Law is a single, and Shoplifter is an iTunes only single.

11 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

About time the Trilogy gets some love from somebody!  

[... ] An entire Green Day era - wasted and gone. 

It's not wasted and gone, since a lot of fans in and out there love the trilogy (and the era) even without the single releases completed. Personally the trilogy (albums and era) is the GD stuff I love the most after RevRad.

11 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Originally the Trilogy would have probably produced 9 singles, 3 per album.     

Oh Love, Kill the DJ, Let Yourself Go.   

Stray Heart, Amy, Stop When the Red Lights Flash 

X-Kid, 8th Avenue Serenade, 99 Revolutions 

Looking at those song choices I feel like they could have done better, but we all feel that way about a lot of their single choices, so what do we know?   Amy could have made some waves, Stop could have been the hard and fast rocking success like Bang Bang .  X-Kid is one of my all time favorites, a shame it never got a chance.  8th Avenue and 99 Revolutions, maybe.  Just maybe.

I think that for Uno, the 3 songs that would have been chosen as singles are not representative enough of the diversity in the album. I mean they are very fun but there's more on Uno and these songs don't really show it. 

13 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Oh Love isn’t a bad song just a bad first single 

I agree. I think a song like Rusty James or Loss of Control would have been perfect (even bold) as a first single. Oh Love or Stay The Night as second. Sweet 16 or Fell For You as third, if they thought playing live after, or else Nuclear Family or Carpe Diem (I enjoy a lot Kill The DJ but it's not my favorite and I think that it's better live).

For Dos, I find Stray Heart and Amy to be very strong and emotional songs, as for Stop When The Red Lights Flash, I think it's way cooler live. I'd think of Wow! That's Loud instead, I love it album version. 

For Tre, X-Kid totally works, 99 Revolutions as well as believe. I like 8th Avenue Serenade but Brutal Love imposes itself as a single for that album...

God's favourite band has climbed the UK chart for a 3rd consecutive week.  Up from 52 last week to 42 this week.

No idea why it's suddenly climbing the chart but I like it 😂

Back in the USA is the 5th most viewed of the music/lyric videos of the RevRad era now, at 7.2m views, after passing the RevRad music video in views. It is only behind the SB music video and the BB/SB/RR lyric videos.

Doesn’t that mean it’d be 5th place though, unless you count the Hyde Park Bohemian Rhapsody video as well?

1 minute ago, MillenniumFan said:

Doesn’t that mean it’d be 5th place though, unless you count the Hyde Park Bohemian Rhapsody video as well?

Yup, I'm dumb. I didn't count that video

• 4 weeks later...

Despite only peaking at 22, 'God's Favorite Band' is spending its 12th week on the UK Top 100, only 2 weeks behind Uno and Revrad, and equalling Insomniac.

I think we may have a slow burner that goes on to become one of Green Day's best sellers. 

They could release both versions of Ordinary World and see which one does better.......one to country and one to.....non-country radio.   

Keep the Rev Rad train going!

it's not over

til you're underground

it's over before it's too late

Listening to the beginning of God's Favorite Band do you notice a contrast between the first 2 tracks?  Like 2000 Light Years Away is so optimistic... sitting around with nothing to do daydreaming about girls (or a girl).  Longview is really the same setting... sitting around with nothing to do daydreaming about girls, a girl, or anything to f*ck.  Completely different state, lol.

4 minutes ago, aShithead said:

Listening to the beginning of God's Favorite Band do you notice a contrast between the first 2 tracks?  Like 2000 Light Years Away is so optimistic... sitting around with nothing to do daydreaming about girls (or a girl).  Longview is really the same setting... sitting around with nothing to do daydreaming about girls, a girl, or anything to f*ck.  Completely different state, lol.

Well to me 2000 LYA is rather optimistic (I hear some laughter, we laugh together / so never let go) and is focused on the beloved girl who's far away ad how to deal with it, while Longview is about being bored at home and having no motivation. Also musically the two songs are different, so I never thought they were alike... except they are both about being young and tortured :P

On 2/11/2018 at 3:59 PM, tomdsjames said:

I think we may have a slow burner that goes on to become one of Green Day's best sellers. 

GFB has a long way to go to become one of the band's best sellers. Consider that almost all of their albums have gone platinum according to the RIAA, and Dookie has recieved Diamond certification.

13 hours ago, Yuri Plisetsky said:

GFB has a long way to go to become one of the band's best sellers. Consider that almost all of their albums have gone platinum according to the RIAA, and Dookie has recieved Diamond certification.

I was only talking UK, not worldwide.  It's not unusual here for Greatest Hits to become band's best sellers.

I'm aware it still has a long way to go, especially to overtake their best selling album over here (AI is 7 x Platinum), but the fact it's managed to remain in the chart as long as it has, despite a low peak position is a good indicator of it's longevity.  It's currently sat on 14 weeks in the chart, which is equal to RevRad and Uno, and 2 weeks longer than Insomniac.

For the record, I don't think it will overtake their best seller anyway, CD sales have declined too much. I just think it will become one of their best sellers.

Archived