Green Day announce new greatest hits album ‘God’s Favourite Band’ – featuring new song

Daddy.

3 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I like The Beatles but not nearly to the level that almost people do so I've also had to explain myself at times too. There are certain bands that have been determined to be infallible and people insist upon reasons if you don't really like them. I'd be curious to know some of your reasons if you want to share! I don't really have any. Just never really connected that closely with 99.9% of their songs.

I feel the same as you, I have nothing against the Beatles and I think there are plain good, but I have no personal connection to them.

3 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

Id argue though that people do pigeonhole Green Day, they just do it incorrectly. They label them as an emo band that's not that good or a pop punk band that's not that good. Both of which come from listening to 4-5 hits, dismissing them as another generic band with a few radio hits and ignoring the rest.

As for me, I randomly fell on 21 Guns and it made me instantly forget what I was doing. I just started searching for more information on the band I could possibly retain within a few hours. So I did discover Green Day with a hit and as it already felt like the most awesome sound I had ever heard, I only wanted to know more and more. And there was much more. :wub: 

2 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

I get what you mean, but the AI era wasn't serious all the way through. Have you watched Heart Like a Hand Grenade? There are also some hilarious scenes :D

I think the trilogy was the attempt to get rid of a too serious and heavy image, but we all know how that ended... And the trilogy sometimes feels a lot heavier than AI or 21CB for me. 

I got into a bit of AI and 21st CB just before RevRad when it came out, and I didn't find them that dark. I agree their lower level of sense of humor was during the early trilogy era, their attempt to get rid of a too serious and heavy image was in itself too serious and heavy...

1 hour ago, jengd said:

as for Queen, I find them just completely over the top, over produced is the best way I can describe it (and yes, I know that GD have JoS and other such multi-movement songs so I don't really have a leg to stand on for that one, I don't like Freddie's voice (sorry all) and just have never felt connected or moved in any way by any of their songs.  I actually don't like much that GD have Bohemian Rhapsody play before their shows - this should be on the unpopular opinions thread shouldn't it! 

I like your unpopular opinion. :ga:

2 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

Ooooops sorry for going off-topic.

To someone randomly dropping in here, it may seem just as if we've been squatting this thread. :lol:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I’ve found you really have to go deep to know them, you can’t judge them by their hit singles which for years was all I knew as with most people. Just the side projects alone was worth going deep for! Now I feel sorry for the ones who are missing out.  When I hear people say they are emo, it makes me realize how much of their humor was buried in side projects those people never saw.

Totally. Admittedly, I didn't go deep with GD's music until this past March. I knew Dookie and AI were really good and that they had a handful of other good songs (ie Good Riddance) but I just figured the rest was relatively generic teen music and didn't invest further as I was leaving my teens (it didn't help that I didn't like the 21CB singles when they first came out). I think the emo thing comes from people my age who were in their teens when AI came out and bands like MCR and Panic at the Disco were huge. Everyone was wearing black, the guys in these bands all wore eyeliner and were angsty, etc. Green Day benefited in a huge way from this trend but I think the their identity as their own band was sort of engulfed by it.  Which leads to a lot of my peers saying "Oh I loved Green Day and MCR during my emo phase." 

9 hours ago, jengd said:

I too like that GD have this reputation, and I also really love Elvis Costello.  I generally find the Beatles just plain boring and bland, I don't get the whole "they changed the world thing" I get that for Elvis Presley and some of his peers but not the Beatles, as for Queen, I find them just completely over the top, over produced is the best way I can describe it (and yes, I know that GD have JoS and other such multi-movement songs so I don't really have a leg to stand on for that one, I don't like Freddie's voice (sorry all) and just have never felt connected or moved in any way by any of their songs.  I actually don't like much that GD have Bohemian Rhapsody play before their shows - this should be on the unpopular opinions thread shouldn't it!  I remember when BH came out, when I was just a teenager and I thought it was hilarious and just rubbish.  Maybe I was just the wrong age at the wrong time to like either band. 

To be fair, The Beatles wrote their own stuff, experimented a lot, and churned out a shit ton of music in a very short amount of time. Elvis had an interesting voice and cool dance moves. I'm not sure but I don't think he wrote any of his music (or at least, much of it was not written by him including Hound Dog). I too thought Bohemian Rhapsody was hilarious (granted I was like 5 when I first heard it) though not rubbish. Maybe just weird as f*ck and I figured it wasn't something a lot of people liked. Boy was I wrong.

10 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

I think what makes them seem so much more serious during that era was also the fact that they suddenly became the voice and face of a whole generation. That's a big responsibility and not so easy to take. I was 17 when AI was released and my generation grew up under the impression of 9/11 and the fear that a 3rd world war could be right around the corner. The fear felt very, very real at times, and we were old enough to feel it and to estimate the horrible consequences of a nuclear war, but still felt too young to be able to change something. AI perfectly hit that nerve. It was the reason I became interested in politics and  started to get involved, and so did many of my friends. And Green Day was the reason. AI was like a catalyzer, as if it was screaming "don't let those bastards of politicians ruin YOUR future". It was serious business, I agree, but it was exactly what we needed. Musicians who took us and our concerns seriously and who told us that we can do it, that we can change the world for good. AI still has that message and that's why I think it's more relevant than ever today.

I'm jealous that your peers were more fired up by the politics of AI than the emo side of it. I think I was the only one in my school who cared about the politics side. 

This is all still sort of on topic right? Weren't we talking about how the whole "God's Favorite Band" thing will be perceived in the grand scheme of how GD has been perceived over the years? It's a stretch but I think we're still on topic, haha.

You are right, we have veered well off topic!  

I wonder if any of the bundles will be available in stores, I remember seeing the Tre t-shirt bundle in my local HMV?

Considering the amount of songs to choose from for this greatest hits I find it puzzling that "Ordinary World" made the cut. 

18 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

Considering the amount of songs to choose from for this greatest hits I find it puzzling that "Ordinary World" made the cut. 

It didn’t, at least not the album track. It’s included because it’s one of the two new recordings.

15 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It didn’t, at least not the album track. It’s included because it’s one of the two new recordings.

It's still the same song even if it's a different version of it.

3 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

It's still the same song even if it's a different version of it.

Yeah but it’s not one of the greatest hits any more than Back in the USA is. They’re more like bonus tracks. 

Does anyone else hope or think they will release a Back in the USA lyric video soon to promote the greatest hits album? It would probably really help with promotion and get people excited. International Superhits is one of their top selling albums.

And what type of song do you think it will be?

EDIT: This was originally in it's own thread --> hence my strong reaction

Jesus, you had me extremely excited for a second there mate! Damn, what a pathetic and desperate creature I truly am lol... Still a seemingly endless wait until November 17 (and that's not even including the possibly even longer wait until the video / lyric video comes out)

*sobs quietly*

In all seriousness though: 

Sure, I hope there'll be one, that's why I clicked on this thread! To be honest, I wouldn't even mind if they did a proper video together with Samuel Bayer just to mix up things a bit. Something personal, political, controversial, interesting, different etc. 

That is of course assuming this isn't just a Chuck Berry cover (which unfortunately is a possibility).

Still, if the video is actually a filmed live performance at a small club (like someone suggested), I'd like that, regardless of wether it's the cover song or not (I mean, who doesn't like a bit of Rock'n'Roll, especially coming from Billie / Green Day?)

Spoiler

Billie's solo guitar work is also often very bluesy and/or rock n roll style (they both use primarily the pentatonic scale). Personally, that's the kind of thing I love, so I guess I'd be ok with it being a Chuck Berry Cover...

...though I'd still highly appreciate a new actual Green Day song!

20 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Does anyone else hope or think they will release a Back in the USA lyric video soon to promote the greatest hits album? It would probably really help with promotion and get people excited. International Superhits is one of their top selling albums.

Seeing as there's no news of a lyric video and we don't even know if it's a new song that would need a lyric video yet (there's a Chuck Berry song called Back in the USA and there's a good chance it's just a cover of it) I think this can just be discussed here, so I've merged your thread. If we hear of a lyric video for it we can have a thread then.

I didn’t know the Chuck Berry song at all and while I would like a new song, I think they could do an awesome cover of the original.  Their covers tend to be really great in my opinion, particularly Working Class Hero.

Wouldn't there be a bracket saying (Chuck Berry Cover) if it was? Maybe I'm just naive to believe it's a new song lol.

59 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Hopefully with rap like Nightlife. :D 

1 hour ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Wouldn't there be a bracket saying (Chuck Berry Cover) if it was? Maybe I'm just naive to believe it's a new song lol.

Honestly, I feel like that should be a required thing. But, in my experience, no band does it like that. I've been tricked so many times. Sometimes not finding out until years later that a song was a cover. It's one of my biggest pet peeves 😠. 

I've never heard the Chuck Berry song so it'll be new to me either way :P. Also I love their covers so I really don't mind if it is.

I'm really intrigued because Anthony Green, singer for Circa Survive, tweeted this:

I wonder if he got to hear Back in the USA...? 

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

I've never heard the Chuck Berry song so it'll be new to me either way :P. Also I love their covers so I really don't mind if it is.

I would agree, if they announced it as a cover from the get go. Hard to not be a let down if you have hope that it's a new song by them! 

41 minutes ago, Haushinka! said:

I'm really intrigued because Anthony Green, singer for Circa Survive, tweeted this:

I wonder if he got to hear Back in the USA...? 

Jealous!! Just to know somethings out there and people have heard it! 😱😱😱

2 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I would agree, if they announced it as a cover from the get go. Hard to not be a let down if you have hope that it's a new song by them! 

To be fair I think someone pointed out it was a Chuck Berry song the first day we got the news so no reason to be disappointed for people who were reading this thread at least :P. But that tweet sounds promising!

Please don't crucify me, but I don't actually know Anthony Green (though I have heard of Circa Survive before). Why would he have early access to ''the new song'', so probably not a song on RevRad --> Back in the USA? 

Also, he hasn't since elaborated/clarified which song he meant. I guess it could just be a song from RevRad (like Bang Bang). Maybe he was browsing YouTube and come across Green Day's RevRad music videos (the lack of promotion means they don't really go out of their way to redirect traffic to / advertise the new music videos). That still seems weird though, because I certainly wouldn't call a 14 month old song ''new''.

9 hours ago, Hermione said:

To be fair I think someone pointed out it was a Chuck Berry song the first day we got the news so no reason to be disappointed for people who were reading this thread at least :P. But that tweet sounds promising!

They pointed out that it could be. That's a bit different than if the band announced that it was. But yeah I hope so. We will know soon enough!

On 22.10.2017 at 7:52 AM, Hermione said:

I would still be very disappointed if it was only a cover. A sentence like "Yes. I'm so glad I'm livin' in the U.S.A." (which is a line from the Chuck Berry song) would just sound awfully strange coming from them right now, unless it's sarcasm. :P There are also other songs called "Bang Bang", so I wouldn't assume that it is a cover just becaue of the title. Well at least I hope I'm right :lol:

57 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

I would still be very disappointed if it was only a cover. A sentence like "Yes. I'm so glad I'm livin' in the U.S.A." (which is a line from the Chuck Berry song) would just sound awfully strange coming from them right now, unless it's sarcasm. :P 

I’m actually not so sure about that. The song is about returning to the US and falling in love with the country and its diversity again:

"Back In The U.S.A."

Oh well, oh well, I feel so good today,
We just touched ground on an international runway
Jet propelled back home from overseas to the USA

New York, Los Angeles, oh how I yearned for you
Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge
Let alone just to be at my home back in ol' St-Lou

Did I miss the skyscrapers? Did I miss the long freeway?
From the coast of California to the shores of Delaware Bay
You can bet your life I did, 'til I got back to the USA

Looking hard for a drive-in, searching for a corner cafe?
Where hamburgers sizzle on an open grill night and day
Yeah, and a jukebox jumping with records like in the USA

Well, I'm so glad I'm livin' in the USA
Yes, I'm so glad I'm livin' in the USA
Anything you want, they got it right here in the USA
I'm so glad I'm livin' in the USA
Yes, I'm so glad I'm livin' in the USA

Well, I was looking back at this recent IG post and having returned here from Europe and completed a US summer tour, it sounds very much like what he describes here:

Why write a song that’s already been written?

Archived