Green Day announce new greatest hits album ‘God’s Favourite Band’ – featuring new song

Daddy.

I don't really care if this gets leaked, seeing as it's just one new song. If it was a whole new album, it'd be different

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I was showing my daughter the video for BOBD and she was saying how emo and angsty she thought it was. Even though I know it dates to a time period when a lot of alternative music was angsty, I never thought of Green Day that way. For some reason while grunge and emo all seemed so dark and depressing and “I’m alone I hate my life”, Green Day’s vibe seemed to be “I’m alone but that’s cool” There was always some underlying sense to me that it was a positive thing. I’ve listened to a lot of angsty music in my day but Green Day was the first band that seemed to say to me, yeah we’re messed up but who cares, let’s have fun and celebrate. That’s what drew me to GD.

That said, the themes of AI and 21CB were definitely darker than what came before. I miss the craziness of Nimrod and earlier sometimes too.  I have a feeling so do they. 

Yeah, I never really saw them as angsty either, just what I did see of them was too serious and "professional" for me. Before I became a fan, I had only really been around for AI and 21stCB, so I didn't get to see much of their silly side and I just presumed that they didn't have much of a sense of humour (Oh, how wrong was I?:lol:) and sometimes they almost came across as robotic. I've always kinda listened to artists that don't take everything seriously and have quite a few "joke songs", so although GD's music was good, they didn't really appeal to me as a band. If I had been old enough to know/remember pre-AI eras, I'm sure I would've gotten into them much quicker. I just really wish I hadn't disregarded them like that when I was younger. I feel like I've missed out on so much.:cry:

14 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I was showing my daughter the video for BOBD and she was saying how emo and angsty she thought it was. Even though I know it dates to a time period when a lot of alternative music was angsty, I never thought of Green Day that way. For some reason while grunge and emo all seemed so dark and depressing and “I’m alone I hate my life”, Green Day’s vibe seemed to be “I’m alone but that’s cool” There was always some underlying sense to me that it was a positive thing. I’ve listened to a lot of angsty music in my day but Green Day was the first band that seemed to say to me, yeah we’re messed up but who cares, let’s have fun and celebrate. That’s what drew me to GD.

That said, the themes of AI and 21CB were definitely darker than what came before. I miss the craziness of Nimrod and earlier sometimes too.  I have a feeling so do they. 

True, Green Day's pessimism has another side too. It's like "fuck it, let's have fun instead". I feel this in all those songs with sad lyrics and upbeat melodies.

17 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I just really wish I hadn't disregarded them like that when I was younger. I feel like I've missed out on so much.:cry:

If that can console you in any way, before listening to their music I came across a Green Day poster in the subway in France a few years ago, I remember it was an announcement for a show (probably in 2012, they played Rock en Seine festival, right next to where I live :cry:) and I just thought "what a bunch of posers". My only excuse is that at that time I hated everybody. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

If that can console you in any way, before listening to their music I came across a Green Day poster in the subway in France a few years ago, I remember it was an announcement for a show (probably in 2012, they played Rock en Seine festival, right next to where I live :cry:) and I just thought "what a bunch of posers". My only excuse is that at that time I hated everybody. :lol:

Don’t feel bad. Back in 2012 when my daughter had tickets to a show that was postponed she told me Billie was in rehab and being only barely familiar I said, isn’t he like 40, and he’s still got substance issues? It just seemed like such a rock star cliche.   I didn’t even know them well enough to be concerned. 😔

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Don’t feel bad. Back in 2012 when my daughter had tickets to a show that was postponed she told me Billie was in rehab and being only barely familiar I said, isn’t he like 40, and he’s still got substance issues? It just seemed like such a rock star cliche.   I didn’t even know them well enough to be concerned. 😔

This sounds so much like my mom :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

This sounds so much like my mom :lol: 

My mom is the one who says about Billie: "What a poser". And I'm just like "right? :wub::lol:

PS: this is growing in another fangirls' confessions thread :P

It really looks like some of you were expecting a whole new album of entirely new material just one year after rev rad. That never happens, we always have a long wait (trilogy aside), a greatest hits is just a nice thing to do I really don’t get why there’d be any serious negativity about it, like you can just download the new song and be done with it?

I don’t really care about it in the sense of ‘omg new album yay’ but it’s a nice thing and it paves the way for new material.

35 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

My mom is the one who says about Billie: "What a poser". And I'm just like "right? :wub::lol:

PS: this is growing in another fangirls' confessions thread :P

It feels kind of wrong/weird when people view him as that "rock star cliche" as pp said. I mean, they aren't that kind of band. I get it's what you picture when all you know about them is that they're in their 40's and the frontman has substance issues, but they don't act that way in fact. (Mostly :P )

9 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

So when do people think the new song (or songs if you count the new version of OW) are gonna leak?

A few days before the release maybe. That happend with RevRad

It would of been a better idea to go into the studio and record the song's they did for the Hurricane Harvey relief concert . The old school song's been rerecorded would of create such more excitement . They could of also donated the proceeds to the relief effort

Or a live album with song's from the current tour and the new song or song's as a surprise bonus track ......

Green Day need to get more SPONTANEOUS  !

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

It feels kind of wrong/weird when people view him as that "rock star cliche" as pp said. I mean, they aren't that kind of band. I get it's what you picture when all you know about them is that they're in their 40's and the frontman has substance issues, but they don't act that way in fact. (Mostly :P )

Yeah absolutely not. But you can see what it might look like to those who don’t know them well. Even their stadium act can be seen as rock star cliche from a distance with all the pyro, etc. To know them is to love them though 😊

19 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

In fact, the people I've heard trying to discredit Green Day don't use the "rock star cliche" as an argument, because it feels irrelevant when it comes to the boys. Actually, these people haven't even compared Green Day with any other artist they can think of somehow reprehensible, because Green Day are unlike any other. :lol: So if they don't like the band it might just be a matter of taste, or of the kind of music they are open to. Being a Green Day fan has allowed me to open myself to many other kinds of music I would never thought to have any interest in. The rest is really far from the topic, hence the spoiler:

Spoiler

As for Billie's meltdown, I am very proud of Billie to have shown that things are not preordained, especially not by media (media most often revel in commentating a mainstream artist's descent into hell, and Billie did just the contrary within a few months). He's proved by that being everything but a rock star cliche. When I saw the iheart concert on Youtube the first time, I had to stop the video ten times because it was too hard to watch (all the concert, not just the rant), and I'd known about the band for a month only so I didn't situate this in time very well; my mom gave it a look too and she said something like "he's being too rude" and watching it a year later, when she knows much more about him, she just says "must've been tough for him". :wub:

11 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

So when do people think the new song (or songs if you count the new version of OW) are gonna leak?

Definitely on a friday - whatdoyouthink @Jane Lannister

41 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

Reveal hidden contents

As for Billie's meltdown, I am very proud of Billie to have shown that things are not preordained, especially not by media (media most often revel in commentating a mainstream artist's descent into hell, and Billie did just the contrary within a few months). He's proved by that being everything but a rock star cliche. When I saw the iheart concert on Youtube the first time, I had to stop the video ten times because it was too hard to watch (all the concert, not just the rant), and I'd known about the band for a month only so I didn't situate this in time very well; my mom gave it a look too and she said something like "he's being too rude" and watching it a year later, when she knows much more about him, she just says "must've been tough for him". :wub:

I wasn't planning to bring this up but yeah, absolutely. I am so glad he hasn't become another famously fallen/dead celebrity. I don't want that to ever happen to anybody I care about. Well, to anybody. It's just way too messed up.

I watched it once when it happened - I was a cynical teenager at that time and it didn't really bother me but I wouldn't want to see it again. One thing is that he was being obnoxious that one night but to think that he could have died? It's not hard for me to look past the rock star cliche, but either way, it's just sad more than anything.

The people I've met who don't like them, either do so because they think they're obnoxious brats and not that good or emo and not that good. So the "God's Favorite Band" thing might be lost on some people, but hopefully the newer fans that get into it will appreciate that they still have their sense of humor. 

20 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

The people I've met who don't like them, either do so because they think they're obnoxious brats and not that good or emo and not that good. So the "God's Favorite Band" thing might be lost on some people, but hopefully the newer fans that get into it will appreciate that they still have their sense of humor. 

I hope that people who don't know about Green Day and will fall on the "God's Favorite Band" thing, will be intrigued and get interested in the band this way. 

Spoiler

This makes me think, a bit random but my boss doesn't understand how Billie can say "God" sometimes several times per concert (thank God we're still alive, etc.) without being religious. I tried to explain him that for me, I have my own vision and belief in God but not in religion. He kept shaking his head, and it just stroke me that there are really some things he'll never get into. By extension, people are sometimes unable to understand other points of view - I guess that happens to me as well. But that makes me come back to the general consensus there seems to be that,for example the Rolling Stones and the Beatles are great bands, while Green Day seem to generate much more divided feelings. :dry:

6 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

I hope that people who don't know about Green Day and will fall on the "God's Favorite Band" thing, will be intrigued and get interested in the band this way. 

Hide contents

But that makes me come back to the general consensus there seems to be that,for example the Rolling Stones and the Beatles are great bands, while Green Day seem to generate much more divided feelings. :dry:

I think there is a risk, when you give an album a name like this, that people will misinterpret your meaning but agree with you, hope it will make people look into it rather than dismiss it.  Most of the press I have seen is positive although nobody has gone beyond the Colbert connection. One did say, trust Green Day to poke you in the eye or something like that.

I think some bands become almost sacred to people.  I don't like the Beatles or Queen and I always have to justify this to people, yet when I do, quite a few folk agree with my reasons, I think you're just not supposed to say you don't like them. I also think a lot of people can't easily pigeonhole Green Day and they don't follow the expected path so it throws them off.  Many times, people like the familiar repeated, it's what they are comfortable with, they don't really want their boundaries pushed in any way.

4 hours ago, jengd said:

I think there is a risk, when you give an album a name like this, that people will misinterpret your meaning but agree with you, hope it will make people look into it rather than dismiss it.  Most of the press I have seen is positive although nobody has gone beyond the Colbert connection. One did say, trust Green Day to poke you in the eye or something like that.

I think some bands become almost sacred to people.  I don't like the Beatles or Queen and I always have to justify this to people, yet when I do, quite a few folk agree with my reasons, I think you're just not supposed to say you don't like them. I also think a lot of people can't easily pigeonhole Green Day and they don't follow the expected path so it throws them off.  Many times, people like the familiar repeated, it's what they are comfortable with, they don't really want their boundaries pushed in any way.

I like that GD still have that reputation, as a band that pushes buttons and boundaries and doesn’t give a fuck. 

And I like bands and artists that challenge me. Some of my favorites are a downright ton of work to get to know. Dense lyrics, obscure references, jumping genres, weird collaborations, silly joke songs, dark twisted humor...I would get bored otherwise.

I respect that you don’t like Queen or the Beatles but as two of my other favorites (in addition to Elvis Costello who is twisted and challenging as hell) I just find it funny because they are also all of those things I listed above as what I like about GD. 

5 hours ago, jengd said:

I like The Beatles but not nearly to the level that almost people do so I've also had to explain myself at times too. There are certain bands that have been determined to be infallible and people insist upon reasons if you don't really like them. I'd be curious to know some of your reasons if you want to share! I don't really have any. Just never really connected that closely with 99.9% of their songs.

Id argue though that people do pigeonhole Green Day, they just do it incorrectly. They label them as an emo band that's not that good or a pop punk band that's not that good. Both of which come from listening to 4-5 hits, dismissing them as another generic band with a few radio hits and ignoring the rest. I have a coworker who likes to minimize their skill as songwriters and musicians as well. I feel like people generally ignore the fact that they switch things up and do what they want.

28 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

I like The Beatles but not nearly to the level that almost people do so I've also had to explain myself at times too. There are certain bands that have been determined to be infallible and people insist upon reasons if you don't really like them. I'd be curious to know some of your reasons if you want to share! I don't really have any. Just never really connected that closely with 99.9% of their songs.

Id argue though that people do pigeonhole Green Day, they just do it incorrectly. They label them as an emo band that's not that good or a pop punk band that's not that good. Both of which come from listening to 4-5 hits, dismissing them as another generic band with a few radio hits and ignoring the rest. I have a coworker who likes to minimize their skill as songwriters and musicians as well. I feel like people generally ignore the fact that they switch things up and do what they want.

I’ve found you really have to go deep to know them, you can’t judge them by their hit singles which for years was all I knew as with most people. Just the side projects alone was worth going deep for! Now I feel sorry for the ones who are missing out.  When I hear people say they are emo, it makes me realize how much of their humor was buried in side projects those people never saw.

18 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Yeah, I never really saw them as angsty either, just what I did see of them was too serious and "professional" for me. Before I became a fan, I had only really been around for AI and 21stCB, so I didn't get to see much of their silly side and I just presumed that they didn't have much of a sense of humour (Oh, how wrong was I?:lol:) and sometimes they almost came across as robotic. I've always kinda listened to artists that don't take everything seriously and have quite a few "joke songs", so although GD's music was good, they didn't really appeal to me as a band. If I had been old enough to know/remember pre-AI eras, I'm sure I would've gotten into them much quicker. I just really wish I hadn't disregarded them like that when I was younger. I feel like I've missed out on so much.:cry:

I get what you mean, but the AI era wasn't serious all the way through. Have you watched Heart Like a Hand Grenade? There are also some hilarious scenes :D

I think what makes them seem so much more serious during that era was also the fact that they suddenly became the voice and face of a whole generation. That's a big responsibility and not so easy to take. I was 17 when AI was released and my generation grew up under the impression of 9/11 and the fear that a 3rd world war could be right around the corner. The fear felt very, very real at times, and we were old enough to feel it and to estimate the horrible consequences of a nuclear war, but still felt too young to be able to change something. AI perfectly hit that nerve. It was the reason I became interested in politics and  started to get involved, and so did many of my friends. And Green Day was the reason. AI was like a catalyzer, as if it was screaming "don't let those bastards of politicians ruin YOUR future". It was serious business, I agree, but it was exactly what we needed. Musicians who took us and our concerns seriously and who told us that we can do it, that we can change the world for good. AI still has that message and that's why I think it's more relevant than ever today.

But I agree that their silly side is just adorable and I love that they found it again. I think the trilogy was the attempt to get rid of a too serious and heavy image, but we all know how that ended... And the trilogy sometimes feels a lot heavier than AI or 21CB for me. That's why I love the RevRad era so much, it combines all the good parts of the previous eras in such a great way and the boys are so happy with it. And when they are happy, I'm happy :)

Ooooops sorry for going off-topic.

1 hour ago, gaslight13 said:

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I like that GD still have that reputation, as a band that pushes buttons and boundaries and doesn’t give a fuck. 

And I like bands and artists that challenge me. Some of my favorites are a downright ton of work to get to know. Dense lyrics, obscure references, jumping genres, weird collaborations, silly joke songs, dark twisted humor...I would get bored otherwise.

I respect that you don’t like Queen or the Beatles but as two of my other favorites (in addition to Elvis Costello who is twisted and challenging as hell) I just find it funny because they are also all of those things I listed above as what I like about GD. 

I too like that GD have this reputation, and I also really love Elvis Costello.  I generally find the Beatles just plain boring and bland, I don't get the whole "they changed the world thing" I get that for Elvis Presley and some of his peers but not the Beatles, as for Queen, I find them just completely over the top, over produced is the best way I can describe it (and yes, I know that GD have JoS and other such multi-movement songs so I don't really have a leg to stand on for that one, I don't like Freddie's voice (sorry all) and just have never felt connected or moved in any way by any of their songs.  I actually don't like much that GD have Bohemian Rhapsody play before their shows - this should be on the unpopular opinions thread shouldn't it!  I remember when BH came out, when I was just a teenager and I thought it was hilarious and just rubbish.  Maybe I was just the wrong age at the wrong time to like either band. 

24 minutes ago, jengd said:

I too like that GD have this reputation, and I also really love Elvis Costello.  I generally find the Beatles just plain boring and bland, I don't get the whole "they changed the world thing" I get that for Elvis Presley and some of his peers but not the Beatles, as for Queen, I find them just completely over the top, over produced is the best way I can describe it (and yes, I know that GD have JoS and other such multi-movement songs so I don't really have a leg to stand on for that one, I don't like Freddie's voice (sorry all) and just have never felt connected or moved in any way by any of their songs.  I actually don't like much that GD have Bohemian Rhapsody play before their shows - this should be on the unpopular opinions thread shouldn't it!  I remember when BH came out, when I was just a teenager and I thought it was hilarious and just rubbish.  Maybe I was just the wrong age at the wrong time to like either band. 

I think what you say at the end there is true for the Beatles too. They are difficult to appreciate in hindsight, because their innovation gets lost in everything they spawned and inspired since. But take a look at a typical top 10 list of popular music from 1963, and you quickly see how different they were from what the world was listening to at the time. Everything that happened in the sixties started with them (or Bob Dylan but that’s a separate conversation)

Archived