Tre Cool interview for Modern Drummer Magazine

desertrose

Interesting interview! It's great to hear more from Tre - I think this is the most detailed solo Tre interview that I've read.

I love seeing/hearing him talk about drums - he's always so focused and passionate about them.

That was really good. I did wonder why they left Jingletown studio and with Otis being so small I wonder where they’ll go to record their next album. 

I like the comparison he draws to construction, like the demos are blueprints and he’ll take them and build the house or whatever. 

Best Green Day drummer in the world 😂 (sorry Al) and don’t be a dick is the best advice you can give anyone. They are so important to so many people it’s cool that they take that seriously and it means something to them in return.

Although I agree they’ve never done the trendy mash up thing with a hip hop artist to be popular (thank god) I think Nightlife might have been a flirtation with that sound on their own terms. That’s the song that will probably not age well because of it.

Great, interview, and yes good to hear Tre and his passion for his drums.  Didn't know he hadn't used a phone until he was 14, he really did have a different kind of life!  I love to get insights into how they work together and he was so respectful and sweet about Billie and Mike. 

I wish Tre did more interviews! Not so much of a dick anymore huh, good! And he grew up with foreigner :wub: 

My favorite thing about this interview is his description of OTIS, it sounds so cool and perfect for the guys. 

I love hearing the guys talk about each other the way they do now. I always think back to a few months ago where Tre said that this was the most fun he had recording an album. Even when they are getting older and aren't always hyper and on substances, they can still make the process extremely fun for themselves

14 minutes ago, Zebahar said:

I love hearing the guys talk about each other the way they do now. I always think back to a few months ago where Tre said that this was the most fun he had recording an album. Even when they are getting older and aren't always hyper and on substances, they can still make the process extremely fun for themselves

I wonder if the fact that they were also doing the jobs of techs and producers made it even more hands on and fun, thereby making it even more of a bonding experience. They were working together the entire time, not just sitting around at times while other people worked. After being apart for so long, it must have been special.

I love the fact that they admire each other's musicianship so much. The amount of times Billie has said in the past that Mike is the best bassist in the world or Tre is the best drummer in the world, and the amount of times Mike has praised Billie and Tre's musical abilities, and in this interview when Tre says that Billie is a pretty good drummer and that they're lucky to have Mike - it makes me so happy to see them speaking about each other like that.:happy:

That was a great interview :wub: Tre talking about drums is so interesting, I love his passion for it.

On 9/28/2017 at 1:24 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Although I agree they’ve never done the trendy mash up thing with a hip hop artist to be popular (thank god) I think Nightlife might have been a flirtation with that sound on their own terms. That’s the song that will probably not age well because of it.

I think it's cool that they've experimented on their own terms but really glad they never bought into trends for a full album. I've seen a number of bands do that and it's generally a disaster. 

6 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I think it's cool that they've experimented on their own terms but really glad they never bought into trends for a full album. I've seen a number of bands do that and it's generally a disaster. 

Omg yeah one song is interesting but an entire album like that would make me very sad for the band.

He should do more interviews. So many good answers. I really liked the parts were he talked about how music can influence others, about his children, about Billie Joe and Mike and the part about his upbringing were very intresting. Previously I think I have only heard his father talk about it and in other interviews he has mostly joked about it. 

Episode 112: Green Day’s Tré Cool, Drum Hoops, Roland GO:MIXER, and More

In this episode, Mike and Mike discuss November 2017 cover artist Tré Cool of the pop-punk band Green Day. The education segment focuses on the different types of drum hoops. Up for review is the Roland GO:MIXER audio interface for smartphones and tablets. After fielding a few listener questions, the show concludes with picks of the week.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/2017/10/modern-drummer-podcast-episode-112-green-days-tre-cool-drum-hoops-roland-gomixer/

Wow this is awesome, very interesting. The way he talks about drumming, as well as Green Day and Billie and Mike, is inspiring and lovely. And he likes The Roots :happy: 

Archived