Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

5 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I'm betting you're right in terms of a full tour, but I could see them hitting some festivals, maybe doing just a couple promo appearances for the Greatest Hits album. Maybe a few FBHT shows for fun (I hope). I figure, if they do go into the studio at the start of next year, we're lookin' at, best case scenario, an album by November 2018. And that's if they have the whole album pretty much written by January and just have to go record it. And I can't see them taking the entire year off from playing live. Billie especially has been having the time of his life up there for the past year. They definitely need and deserve a break, but I feel like they're more aware than ever of lost time and probably don't want to rest any more than they genuinely need to.

I don't think they'll be in the studio that early, they'll probably take more time to write. I mean back to the usa only seemed half written haha, no bridge and people suspected it's billie playing everything because the drums and bass seem a little tame for green day. I know Billie said last year that he doesn't want as big of a gap between albums this time, but I don't think that means they're gunna rush anything, I think 2019 at the earliest, maybe the spring though instead of the usual fall album. I'd love a green day album as soon as possible, but I'm not gunna get my hopes up

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kyle Serlington said:

I don't think they'll be in the studio that early, they'll probably take more time to write. I mean back to the usa only seemed half written haha, no bridge and people suspected it's billie playing everything because the drums and bass seem a little tame for green day. I know Billie said last year that he doesn't want as big of a gap between albums this time, but I don't think that means they're gunna rush anything, I think 2019 at the earliest, maybe the spring though instead of the usual fall album. I'd love a green day album as soon as possible, but I'm not gunna get my hopes up

Yeah I’m thinking March 2019 would be realistic.

I am hoping for something a bit more experimental. Like I said a couple of days ago (I think it was in the promotion and commercial performance-thread), I don't think that they didn't take enough risks throughout their career. However, if you see AI and/or 21St CBD as the peak of their "experimental" phase, it's hard to deny that RevRad was more classic Green Day and the trilogy was...well, let's just say it wasn't their best project ever. 

I like BITUSA but it's not a groundbreaking song. It's more of the same and I want to hear something a little bit more ambitious. So if they head towards the AI/21st CBD-direction, I'd be very satisfied. And it's hopefully gonna be political. 

Yeah I'm hoping early 2019. That's not too long to wait. As long as it's not as long of a gap as the trilogy and RevRad, that'll be fine.

On 19.9.2017 at 12:17 AM, MillenniumFan said:

I don't know man, it just seems right now at this point in their carreers, where they're happy about still being together and producing stuff and playing live gigs full of energy and passion to release a live album to document this. It shouldn't be ambitious or aim high, it should be more like revrad, a testament to the fans and the world that Green Day is still going and still kicking ass (albeit not currently with the ''let's take on the planet and be massive'' attitude, which is just fine) . So, either do one of their shows of this tour (including club tour) or release the 2015 house of blues show on CD (or online) or something like that. 

Yes a live DVD would wrap up this tour so great, but won't happen mate. 

I would like the next album to be in the direction of Back in The USA. I would like a bit more heavier guitars on the next album (like AI / 21stCB / Dookie/ some songs on RevRad). Also less compression. But that is just production wise. Still sounds great. But i would really hope for a kind of American Idiot 2. Haha if you know what i mean, that would be great!

12 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

i would really hope for a kind of American Idiot 2

Technically speaking, even though they don't continue with the same story, you could arguably call both 21st Century Breakdown and Revolution Radio successors to American Idiot

6 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Billie needs to do more riffing than power chords, more like: When I Come Around, At The Library, Geek Stink Breath (some more songs from Insomniac), Castaway etc. Not saying to simply follow past material but just for example. I liked Back In The USA and video is also awesome and I wonder the song is in any way indicative of the next record and as stated before about production (not an expert in this field but let me anyway) sounded a bit "compressed" and lo-fi, when RevRad first came out I liked the production totally and secretly that what I wished for but now I feel like production in AI and 21stCB is good.

Nice point. I love Green Day one guitar riffs. I've got nothing against guitar licks but I think they (in Green Day music, I mean) sound better in solos rather than riffs. If you notice, Green Day riffs via power-chords are... classic. ''When I Come Around'', ''Nice Guys Finish Last'' etc... To me, Green Day 00s sound (guitar overdubs) sounds (sound, sounds X0) more like generic punk rock rather than THAT Green Day classic guitar playing style. 

5 hours ago, Mücki said:

i wish they'll do a little break till january, work on different projects (Mike with Screeching Weasel, Billie and Jason PHGP, Tré with The Lookouts), may do a tour in summer and after that, they are going into the studio again. Maybe it will something Foxboro Hot Tubs or Green Day or something new.

Screeching Weasel? WTF!? lol Mike just record a few songs for an album, his other project could be The Frustrators not Screeching Weasel...

5 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

No I agree, that's why I said "best case scenario" and "only if they have the entire thing written already". Which I'm assuming they don't. I bet they'll go into the studio pretty quick, but once they're there, I think they spend a lot of time putting the songs together. From what I've seen, it's really only the lyrics and some basic demos that Billie tries to have done prior to going into the studio. I agree with the spring of 2019 prediction. But I don't think they're going to completely stay off the stage between now and then. 

2 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I like BITUSA but it's not a groundbreaking song. It's more of the same and I want to hear something a little bit more ambitious. So if they head towards the AI/21st CBD-direction, I'd be very satisfied. And it's hopefully gonna be political. 

I wouldn't worry too much about BITUSA being like an indicator of what they're doing next. I think they wrote it quick, liked it, didn't feel it was necessarily what they want for the next album but still good enough to put out, and that's how it ended up where it did. They would've saved it for the album otherwise. Also, I can't see it not being political. I'm sure it will be. Ambitious can be good (ie American Idiot) or it can produce a lot of meh material (ie. the Trilogy) so I'm just hoping that they continue their pattern of never fully repeating themselves and putting out a quality record. If it's also ambitious and done really well, that's a bonus to me. 

3 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

Nice point. I love Green Day one guitar riffs. I've got nothing against guitar licks but I think they (in Green Day music, I mean) sound better in solos rather than riffs. If you notice, Green Day riffs via power-chords are... classic. ''When I Come Around'', ''Nice Guys Finish Last'' etc... To me, Green Day 00s sound (guitar overdubs) sounds (sound, sounds X0) more like generic punk rock rather than THAT Green Day classic guitar playing style. 

I'm 120% sure Billie Joe ''sacrificed'' his guitar playing style for a good cause. I'm talking about American Idiot and, even more, 21st Century Breakdown. The thing is that, yes, they sound bigger now but, sadly, less unique.

2 hours ago, throwaway9802 said:

Technically speaking, even though they don't continue with the same story, you could arguably call both 21st Century Breakdown and Revolution Radio successors to American Idiot

Yeh kind of but not the excact same thing you know

9 hours ago, Mücki said:

i wish they'll do a little break till january, work on different projects (Mike with Screeching Weasel, Billie and Jason PHGP, Tré with The Lookouts), may do a tour in summer and after that, they are going into the studio again. Maybe it will something Foxboro Hot Tubs or Green Day or something new.

Considering Mike hasn't played with Screeching Weasel in 23 years and Tre hasn't played with the Lookouts in 27, it's pretty unlikely they'll ever do that again. They like to work on new projects, not old stuff. I'm sure we'll get some kind of surprise from them when they're done with the tour. It's not always band related though, they like to do other things like Oakland Coffee or Broken Guitars. 

Its probably half written for all we know - BJ has shown us this tour how easily he gets bored.  As for the direction of their music I don't care what they put out next - its all good.  I just hope next tour they mix up their sets & Im still holding onto the dream of seeing them in a small venue:dry:  As for touring they do need a long break - they are old men now & they don't bounce back like they used to - although next year I can see them doing festivals.

Anyone else not want a political album? I'm getting kind of tired of it. They've really said all that can be said. If anything, social commentary tracks that target specific issues could be cool, like Bang Bang did with gun violence. I'm just tired of general songs about revolutions and the world being chaotic, which we got a lot of on RevRad.

8 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Anyone else not want a political album? I'm getting kind of tired of it. They've really said all that can be said. If anything, social commentary tracks that target specific issues could be cool, like Bang Bang did with gun violence. I'm just tired of general songs about revolutions and the world being chaotic, which we got a lot of on RevRad.

You just got 37 'Non-political' songs from Uno, Dos, Tres.. Arguably the greatest thing a long-time fan of Green Day could ask for (a look(listen) into the creative minds/process of Green Day during a recording session). Then RevRad comes out with 3 songs that are political (Bang Bang, Say Goodbye, Troubled Times). What exactly are you tired of?? Then you mention you want social commentary tracks that 'target specific issues like Bang Bang...you don't think Bang Bang is political track ? C'mon..   

Stop Whining about what Green Day writes and records... Let them write what they want...They'll write about what is current and going on in their current lives, which make the content interesting and that much more relatable (read.... connect with more people).   If you want juvenile lyrics and mediocricy, stick with Blink 182. 

1 minute ago, JDA said:

You just got 37 'Non-political' songs from Uno, Dos, Tres.. Arguably the greatest thing a long-time fan of Green Day could ask for (a look(listen) into the creative minds/process of Green Day during a recording session). Then RevRad comes out with 3 songs that are political (Bang Bang, Say Goodbye, Troubled Times). What exactly are you tired of?? Then you mention you want social commentary tracks that 'target specific issues like Bang Bang...you don't think Bang Bang is political track ? C'mon..   

Stop Whining about what Green Day writes and records... Let them write what they want...They'll write about what is current and going on in their current lives, which make the content interesting and that much more relatable (read.... connect with more people).   If you want juvenile lyrics and mediocricy, stick with Blink 182. 

Eh I didn't really whine. Just stated what I'd like to hear. Bang Bang isn't really political. It's a character study into a killer's mentality. And blink-182 has some great lyrics. Listen to their self-titled album.

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Eh I didn't really whine. Just stated what I'd like to hear. Bang Bang isn't really political. It's a character study into a killer's mentality. And blink-182 has some great lyrics. Listen to their self-titled album.

Green Day will tackle Political songs, but they definitely don't dominate their albums...they are just the tracks that stick out. For a reason. They come from what Billie cares about expressing. Quality songs that come from the heart, and topics that need to be discussed.

But back on topic... I'd love for them to keep banging out songs with whatever is on their minds.. shoot from the hips.

I like to think of their political themes as things that Billie stresses over, so in that way the political songs are also personal. You really can’t separate the two.

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I like to think of their political themes as things that Billie stresses over, so in that way the political songs are also personal. You really can’t separate the two.

agreed...which make the political songs that much more meaninful. 

I saw an interview recently, that I think was with Billie, where the person said something about how people complain about “politics” but that politics isn’t just another word for bullshit, it’s actually how we work as a society and what we want or don’t want for our lives, our families, and our future. I wish I could find the exact quote because I’m botching it, but my point is, all social and economic issues are political. And if that’s what Billie wants to write about I think that’s great because there’s so much to work with there. Songs like Bang Bang and Say Goodbye mean something and touch on subjects that are huge problems and aren’t talked about enough. Most of the political songs he writes speak to a specific topic not just a generic preachy song. Personally, I think he’s only begun to scratch the surface of what he could write about in that realm.

7 hours ago, SHART said:

Its probably half written for all we know - BJ has shown us this tour how easily he gets bored.  As for the direction of their music I don't care what they put out next - its all good.  I just hope next tour they mix up their sets & Im still holding onto the dream of seeing them in a small venue:dry:  As for touring they do need a long break - they are old men now & they don't bounce back like they used to - although next year I can see them doing festivals.

He also doesn’t have partying to distract him so he’s had plenty of time to write. And yeah same here. I have little concern about variety of what they write, only concern in what they play! They may be older now but they’re taking better care of themselves than they used to so I don’t think they’re gonna need a whole year of rest.

19 hours ago, Mücki said:

wut? sooooo many questions here, such as: didn't both the lookouts and the weasels break up a LONG time ago - lookouts I thought broke up around the same time green day put out there first record. Also, since when did Mike ever have anything to do with screeching weasel? To be perfectly honest though, I would LOVE to hear something new from any of the bands mentioned above.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:04 PM, Sarcasm said:

I'm glad I'm too much of an audio noob to not give a shit if a mix is shit 

Umm,  ME!

On 9/26/2017 at 12:55 AM, LaughingClock said:

Some of the greatest albums of all time never did well commercially.

Case and point "Paul's Botique" from The Beastie Boys was a critical  AND commercial disaster (much worse than Warning) and ends up being considered by most accounts one of the top 3 records OF ALL TIME.

Most American top 500 albums of all time have Paul's Botique at #5 or higher and #1 on many including a few of Rolling Stone's but the world wasn't ready for that from Beaatie Boys after License To Ill and I think for the same reason Warning has stood the test of time but it was a departure for the then type of Green Day fans.

As a fan throughout the generations, I can tell you the "type" of person that loves Green Day has changed from time to time. It's younger than ever since the early 90s and I love it.  Fans love the band now in a very personal way.

Back on point, Paul's Boutique is a perfect analogy and a reason for me to post a few jams :) from one of the best albums ever made that was a commercial disaster.

They were first a punk rock band btw as evidenced by Savotage (I'll post some of their hardcore punk shit from before from like 1983)

Beastie Boys

Next one is from Paul's and it's "Hey Ladies" one of the finest they recorded. Light, fun, danceable, cool and The Beasties at their finest. It's fair to say if you don't like this song, you and I would not agree on music past GD.

Beastie Boys

This too "Shake Your Rump" is or was at one point in the Guinness Book for most samples in a single song at like 378 or something. Song is just bombastic and the opening of things like Check Your Head and Watcha Want? This was the song that lead to the more modern Beasties of the lare 90s.

Beastie Boys

Beastie Boys

Beastie Boys

Beastie Boys

I used to like you :lol:

9 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Yeah if they're going to be political I'd rather they were specific too. That's why songs like Bang Bang, Say Goodbye or East Jesus Nowhere are better than songs like Rev Rad, Back in the USA or Know Your Enemy. Political songs that are specific (and most importantly hard hitting and no holds barred) are definitely preferable to general the world is messed up let's have a revolution songs so I hope that's what we'd get from a whole album that swings that way. I'm sure they'd include a personal angle whatever kind of album they did but when it comes to the political/social commentary bits I love to see them really going for it.

9 hours ago, JDA said:

They've made the same laboured point for over a decade with the exception of a mid-life crisis for the trilogy

42 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah if they're going to be political I'd rather they were specific too. That's why songs like Bang Bang, Say Goodbye or East Jesus Nowhere are better than songs like Rev Rad, Back in the USA or Know Your Enemy. Political songs that are specific (and most importantly hard hitting and no holds barred) are definitely preferable to general the world is messed up let's have a revolution songs so I hope that's what we'd get from a whole album that swings that way. I'm sure they'd include a personal angle whatever kind of album they did but when it comes to the political/social commentary bits I love to see them really going for it.

I absolutely disagree about Back in the USA not being specific. It is not a generic, the world is in chaos song, it is about how the US is changing based on our current administration. And, based on the video, will go so far to say it is asking for everyone to not sit back and let that happen. That is just as specific, if not even more specific, than a song about gun violence or religion. Also, I think it is far more specific than Say Goodbye (I do love Say Goodbye), but to me SG is a "we are in chaos" song. 

Archived