Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

Consider this a friendly reminder that personal attacks toward members will result in a warning point. :) 

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Consider this a friendly reminder that personal attacks toward members will result in a warning point. :) 

That's not aimed at me is it:cry: because everyone knows she is a my bitch

3 minutes ago, SHART said:

That's not aimed at me is it:cry: because everyone knows she is a my bitch

:lol: You know I know better. 

2 hours ago, -Puke-Stains- said:

Let me take a quote directly from my post, which you didn't seem to read. "but Warning is probably one of the only Green Day albums that I think is absolutely perfect," I clearly said that I, as in myself, think that Warning is a perfect record. I didn't even call it their best album or my favorite album, I just said that in my opinion it's damn near perfect. I'm sorry that you're so far up your own ass that you can't handle other people having opinions and sharing them on a goddamn online forum.

You're right.

Im wrong.

I apologize.

You actually are right but I also wasn't being a dick like you think I was when I said what I said, I just meant it.

i am not interested and would just stop coming here on the next stupid argument so I accept all blame and beg you to just accept that so I can keep coming here.

my bad.

18 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I will be happy to use it every time I respond to you. :fuckyou:

Just curious, what was your point? Warning was not hugely successful from a commercial standpoint, it did receive very good reviews. I have read many critical accounts that think the album is some of Billie's best song writing and a highly underrated album. I think most fans like the album as well. 

Some of the greatest albums of all time never did well commercially.

Case and point "Paul's Botique" from The Beastie Boys was a critical  AND commercial disaster (much worse than Warning) and ends up being considered by most accounts one of the top 3 records OF ALL TIME.

Most American top 500 albums of all time have Paul's Botique at #5 or higher and #1 on many including a few of Rolling Stone's but the world wasn't ready for that from Beaatie Boys after License To Ill and I think for the same reason Warning has stood the test of time but it was a departure for the then type of Green Day fans.

As a fan throughout the generations, I can tell you the "type" of person that loves Green Day has changed from time to time. It's younger than ever since the early 90s and I love it.  Fans love the band now in a very personal way.

Back on point, Paul's Boutique is a perfect analogy and a reason for me to post a few jams :) from one of the best albums ever made that was a commercial disaster.

They were first a punk rock band btw as evidenced by Savotage (I'll post some of their hardcore punk shit from before from like 1983)

Next one is from Paul's and it's "Hey Ladies" one of the finest they recorded. Light, fun, danceable, cool and The Beasties at their finest. It's fair to say if you don't like this song, you and I would not agree on music past GD.

This too "Shake Your Rump" is or was at one point in the Guinness Book for most samples in a single song at like 378 or something. Song is just bombastic and the opening of things like Check Your Head and Watcha Want? This was the song that lead to the more modern Beasties of the lare 90s.

And in 82 they were straight hardcore punk rock in NYC:

• 1 month later...

I thought I’d revive this thread rather than make a new one so we can talk about what we think the next album might sound like now that we’ve heard Back in the USA.

I’m hoping this song is a hint at their direction. They’ve done so much in thirty years - punk, pop punk, classic rock, rock opera, power pop, but they’ve also had distinct phases with their content and sound. By that I mean, the nineties they were more punk, silly and fun. Then with AI forward they got more serious as they got more poltical and the sound was more classic rock. With the trilogy they returned to a lighter power pop sound, but sang mostly about girls and partying like power pop songs typically do. Rev Rad was more of a classic rock feel as well with heavier topical and introspective themes. 

Because the trilogy was mostly nontopical but also dark and disturbing, I venture to say they haven’t actually been silly and fun since the Nimrod/Warning days. 

Now we have Back in the USA with its companion video. To me it signals a new direction, a marriage of the best of what Green Day is and something we’ve never heard from them before (with the single possible exception of 99 Revolutions) — topical but fun power pop.  Should we call it Green Day’s first attempt at being Popical? 🙂

I feel like a weight has been lifted. I know Billie has said he loves the goofiness of Green Day and so do we. It’s also a much more palatable way of delivering a serious message. They can write about important ideas and keep the music catchy and fun. I would love that. 

Their music interests will ebb and flow. Maybe the next album will be light and fun. Maybe the one after will be more dark/serious and more focused on composition. Personally, I'd just like them to work on their production quality. A lot of their recent albums have been neutered by production. On RevRad, it was a mixed bag with some songs sounding raw and alive, and others sounding muffled. Number 1 should be to change those vocal filters. Back In the USA would have been better without that robotic, distorted filter. I'd like a return to Nimrod-era production, especially on the vocals. But whatever we get, we get.

Actually, I think the production on RevRad was bad almost throughout. The trilogy and 21st Century Breakdown were way too clean (In the trilogy more so, the vocals had even more filters than even on 21st CB and the guitars sounded too clean). And though I really love American Idiot and I think its production fits the album, there's no denying it was compressed as hell.

So, I agree, production on Nimrod (but also on Dookie and Insomniac) was really good.

I understand that with a change of style and sound comes a change of production. But I think that apart from American Idiot, the production on all albums since  Nimrod/Warning has pulled down the sound. 

I think Back To The USA is also too compressed or maybe there's something else with the sound that I just really don't like.

9 minutes ago, SHART said:

I wondered when this thread would re-surface.

You’re welcome 🙂 Now discuss.

I have no clue what sound they'll go for next album. I guess if Trump is still president, we'll probably get a political album. Whatever they do, I'm sure it'll be great. I would find it cool if they went back to a more punk or harder rock sound. And since AI and 21CB are my favourite albums, I wouldn't mind if they went back to the rock opera style, as long as it was somehow different

4 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Actually, I think the production on RevRad was bad almost throughout. The trilogy and 21st Century Breakdown were way too clean (In the trilogy more so, the vocals had even more filters than even on 21st CB and the guitars sounded too clean). And though I really love American Idiot and I think its production fits the album, there's no denying it was compressed as hell.

So, I agree, production on Nimrod (but also on Dookie and Insomniac) was really good.

I understand that with a change of style and sound comes a change of production. But I think that apart from American Idiot, the production on all albums since  Nimrod/Warning has pulled down the sound. 

I think Back To The USA is also too compressed or maybe there's something else with the sound that I just really don't like.

There is no pleasing you Green Day fans smh

To me, the main ''problem'' about Green Day music is Green Day music. They released their first EP in late 80s so, let's be honest, we're in 2017 now and... even American Idiot (2004) has its flaws through all of those songs we love. Maybe it's just how I feel about it, I don't know but... I think that Green Day gave their everything on 21st Century Breakdown. Unless you start singing rap, dance or whatever, well, you can't do that much in your main musical genre. That's why, to me, a group of fans (including me) can't appreciate Revolution Radio, 2012's trilogy (production or recording apart) like they do with older stuff. It's like there's always something missing. Not true. The paradox is that you already got it. You can't fall in love with ''Back in the USA'', ''Revolution Radio'' or ''Oh Love'' 'cause these tracks sound like a different take of something you're ''married'' with (hope you get the weird example). I don't want Green Day to make a techno LP. I don't want Green Day to stop making music. This is just a sort of analysis I wanted to share with you all. I could be wrong, easily.

25 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yes yes, we get it, you hate everyone on this site 

I just want to know when is gonna happen the next tour, I need to be ready to go to USA this time :3

18 minutes ago, gd86arg said:

I just want to know when is gonna happen the next tour

As someone who wants a new tour soon too, I think realistically at least a couple months. They just went on a tour with 8 legs, so they're going to need to cool down for a while, probably 6 months or a year before touring kicks back off. There's a small chance that they might do a promo tour for God's Favorite Band, but that's just wishful thinking

17 minutes ago, throwaway9802 said:

As someone who wants a new tour soon too, I think realistically at least a couple months. They just went on a tour with 8 legs, so they're going to need to cool down for a while, probably 6 months or a year before touring kicks back off. There's a small chance that they might do a promo tour for God's Favorite Band, but that's just wishful thinking

I think a new studio album will be out before another tour. I doubt they will tour all over again for a Greatest Hits album when they’ve already been playing most of these songs.

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think a new studio album will be out before another tour. I doubt they will tour all over again for a Greatest Hits album when they’ve already been playing most of these songs.

I'm betting you're right in terms of a full tour, but I could see them hitting some festivals, maybe doing just a couple promo appearances for the Greatest Hits album. Maybe a few FBHT shows for fun (I hope). I figure, if they do go into the studio at the start of next year, we're lookin' at, best case scenario, an album by November 2018. And that's if they have the whole album pretty much written by January and just have to go record it. And I can't see them taking the entire year off from playing live. Billie especially has been having the time of his life up there for the past year. They definitely need and deserve a break, but I feel like they're more aware than ever of lost time and probably don't want to rest any more than they genuinely need to.

As I've said before, I'd like to see Green Day experiment a bit more, even just to the extent of Nimrod. That album still has the classic Green Day sound, but adds in a lot of subtle changes in sound. Subtle stuff like the guitar licks with weird effects in Redundant, the strings and violins in a few songs, harmonica in Walking Alone, etc. Just little things that make the song come to life and have a different vibe. I think the Nimrod sound fits their attitude right now too. They seem angry but also very happy with their lives. I can see a tongue in cheek, slightly political album working right now. Not as serious and reflective as RevRad, but definitely brimming with frustration and anger. Just a solid punk record. Aside from that, I'd enjoy more complex instrumental parts to show off their skill, and improvement in production quality (remove the stupid vocal filters and fix the mix). They have a lot of room to grow and literally nothing to lose. Look at Weezer right now. Their albums aren't all good, but they're experimenting because they have the power and fan base to do so. Green Day has won Grammys, sold millions of records, is in the Rock Hall, and still sells tickets with their old material alone. They have all the power here.

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe something like Pop Disaster (not necessarily with blink-182 this time)

Billie needs to do more riffing than power chords, more like: When I Come Around, At The Library, Geek Stink Breath (some more songs from Insomniac), Castaway etc. Not saying to simply follow past material but just for example. I liked Back In The USA and video is also awesome and I wonder the song is in any way indicative of the next record and as stated before about production (not an expert in this field but let me anyway) sounded a bit "compressed" and lo-fi, when RevRad first came out I liked the production totally and secretly that what I wished for but now I feel like production in AI and 21stCB is good.

i wish they'll do a little break till january, work on different projects (Mike with Screeching Weasel, Billie and Jason PHGP, Tré with The Lookouts), may do a tour in summer and after that, they are going into the studio again. Maybe it will something Foxboro Hot Tubs or Green Day or something new.

Archived