Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

Does anyone remember the interview he and guys did with Rolling Stone. He said he was kind of scratching at the surface of the political album like AI. 

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Grinch said:

I don't see them going into the studio directly after this huge tour. Probably have a reasonable long break (like 6 months-a year) I have no idea where Green Day might go next for their album. Hopefully kinda more in the direction of like Warning or Nimrod where there's still experimentation as well as an album that's just a collection of great songs.

(SORRY IF THIS GOES OFF TOPIC)

(NOT TRYING TO ARGUE, just like discussing this.) Since 1975? I'm surprised you think that. I personally think most albums post-1995 get to be pretty over compressed with a few exceptions (Weezer's Red Album has a GREAT master IMO) and that early 1990s had the best.  I kinda find compression as like a god-send to music in some ways. It gives so much more emphasis for individual instruments, as well as bring the volume of a track to a respectable level, although it can easily be abused (revolution radio). I think that there's a great sweet spot where the music isn't so quiet I need to turn the volume to max and it still not be enough, and not so loud that switching from an acoustic ballad to a hard rock song will give me a heart attack from the volume. The HD tracks American Idiot hits that balance perfectly I think. 

The top track in this picture is my band's totally unmastered/uncompressed (besides drums/vocals pre-master FX) track "Moonlight", which is very similar to a late 70s-early 80s song in terms of dynamic range. The middle track is Holiday's 2012 HDTracks master which sounds AMAZING, and the bottom is "Pardon Me" from Weezer's Make Believe which is one of the many songs that are so overdone that the song itself is audibly clipping throughout the whole track. Funny how their next album (Red) has such a great master.

ba766b00007044c5bb2535b270136c91.png

Here's Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana (1991) and "Sanity" by Bad Religion (1989).

2bf839ee8740a65c7791e9225f36a084.png

And here's Bang Bang, which clips along with most tracks on Revolution Radio.

f688e361eeb6b4944b90dbe48e76596a.png

I wouldn't exactly say that. It kinda make sense, but I always look at it as how stricly it keeps the volume of a recording at a flat rate. You can still hear every instrument fine at the same time, but overcompression will lead to less "breathing space" which can make something sound like it's swelling in a sense. This is most noticable on a radio station. Once again, I dont find compression bad at all. I only find the general compression of commercially successful albums post 1995 as overcompressed, but it doesn't effect my listening experience much. It makes a differences for sure, but it only truely bothers me if the music is CLIPPING like Make Believe by Weezer. 

I do find the great need for less compressed audio. I wish it was easier to get many albums in lossless form, but that's why I love to buy CDs. A cheap, physical way to get lossless music. HDTracks is a great site too but it doesn't offer everything. One thing though is that I doubt that most people can tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 and lossless FLAC, or even 224kbps variable to lossless with decent listening conditions. I can easily pick out the compression in 128 and 256kbps easily but 320kbps is really hard for me to differenciate from lossless. It's there but extremely subtle. Also YES do demand better audio!

Hide contents

(Also CRT TVs for life! My band is even named "The CRTs")

Sorry for going way off topic. I love talking about this stuff!

I fucking love it! I can wax audiophile with you (especially as it pertains to comprsssion and codecs all day long) but I'm about to sing my daughter to sleep and then lay with my wife so you'll have to wait but I look forward to answering plenty of this (which I read all). I agree with some as there are things in there that are truth, some I disagree with, not as a matter of objective untruths but because they can just differ by generation. You sound like you're a pro or a student pro for audio engineering and I'm just a hobbyist but my brother is a music director for a bunch of bands and produces a lot of R&B and Hip Hop so I'm around it all the time, even outside of my world of TV what which I work in, in a post production capacity. I'll respond in kind later. Good stuff.

Worst career advice ever:

“Great tour guys, you’re back! Now I think you should take a year off and then make another album like Warning.”

*facepalm*

😂

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Worst career advice ever:

“Great tour guys, you’re back! Now I think you should take a year off and then make another album like Warning.”

*facepalm*

😂

Might not be a great career move, but Warning is probably one of the only Green Day albums that I think is absolutely perfect. I would hope at this point in there career the guys would care more about the actual music they put out and how it makes them feel, versus popping out another album that appeals to the masses before they've had a chance to settle down at all. 

29 minutes ago, -Puke-Stains- said:

Might not be a great career move, but Warning is probably one of the only Green Day albums that I think is absolutely perfect. I would hope at this point in there career the guys would care more about the actual music they put out and how it makes them feel, versus popping out another album that appeals to the masses before they've had a chance to settle down at all. 

They might feel inspired to make music soon/quickly though (that may or may not sound anything like Warning :P). Wouldn't automatically mean they were doing it to appeal to the masses or rushing or that they didn't care about it, could just be what they want to do.

But yeah I hope they just do what they feel like artistically, whether they feel inspired to make an album soon or whether they take longer.

3 hours ago, -Puke-Stains- said:

It's a little self centered of you to decide what music is "good" musically and what isn't. That said, I love Warning.

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Worst career advice ever: “Great tour guys, you’re back! Now I think you should take a year off and then make another album like Warning.” *facepalm*

Warning is so good though. I think they need another Warning like album to refresh with a new evolving style. I think Warning was the right way to evolve a band's sound, even if it wasn't the commercial way. I don't know if there's a track I dislike on that whole album! I'm not the one calling the shots though, Green Day's going to do what they want to do and I'm excited to see where it's going next

13 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

I wish! I'm just a bored teen who really wants a future in audio engineering. I'm always learning new stuff but I think it is a very possible career for me. That's super cool that your brother does that stuff that sounds like so much fun

I personally would love a live DVD/live album but only because I can see how much fun they've had this revrad tour and this tour has been amazing. Maybe the South American leg will be live DVD worthy. 

Tbh, I don't really mind at all what they end up recording. But I think Dookie and AI show to me that the album can be really successful and brilliant. So yeah, I don't see Green Day as the band to release deliberately poorly written material, just to appeal to the mainstream. They have yet to do that...

And like I said, I've got a feeling they could very possibly produce another album as successful, but as good as the two afore mentioned albums. Still secretly waiting for that too happen ;)

1 hour ago, -Billiejoezee- said:

I personally would love a live DVD/live album but only because I can see how much fun they've had this revrad tour and this tour has been amazing. Maybe the South American leg will be live DVD worthy. 

I know they film all their shows, but at the September 6 concert in Orange Beach, Alabama, the big screen operators were doing some interesting split screen and fade-outs. I didn’t see that at the Little Rock, Arkansas show. Might we hope for a new live concert CD? Maybe a CD/DVD ala Bullet in a Bible?  That would be superb!

If they feel inspired to put out new music soon, good for them (with the state of the world, lord knows they have plenty of inspiration to work with). I just hope they take a little bit of chill time first. They deserve a break. :happy:

50 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

If they feel inspired to put out new music soon, good for them (with the state of the world, lord knows they have plenty of inspiration to work with). I just hope they take a little bit of chill time first. They deserve a break. :happy:

I agree they need to rest but didn't BJ say that it was pretty relaxing making RevRad - they didn't really push out big days - (or something like that).

5 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

It's a little self centered of you to decide what music is "good" musically and what isn't. That said, I love Warning.

Me defending one of my favorite albums isn't in any way me being self-centered OR claiming that I know what good music is. I don't want to see the guys rush into the studio and dump out another album because they are "riding on the success of Revolution Radio" or whatever. So kindly,  :fuckyou:.

43 minutes ago, -Puke-Stains- said:

Me defending one of my favorite albums isn't in any way me being self-centered OR claiming that I know what good music is. I don't want to see the guys rush into the studio and dump out another album because they are "riding on the success of Revolution Radio" or whatever. So kindly,  :fuckyou:.

Lol. You didn't defend anything, you called Warning their best album as fact when it's a subjective opinion on your part. Sorry for calling you "self centered". I suppose I shoot from the hip and when someone says X IS THE BEST to me that seems self centered. I don't think my favorite album is THE best or that anyone else should and if I did I would think I'm self centered but I could see why you got yourself all uptight about it. Sorry I said that. Feel better?

As for shooting me a middle finger emoji seems a little bit extreme. 

And as for when Green Day decides that they are in the best frame of mind to record, I'll leave to them whether it's during, right after or 2 years from when they are done doing what they are doing. They haven't let me down yet so I'll trust their opinion not that I don't think your's is as important. 

Peace homes.

FTR, its stupid shit like this that has me a wink away from being done with GDC. I'm too old for dealing with made up dramatic bullshit.

17 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:
17 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Lol. You didn't defend anything, you called Warning their best album as fact when it's a subjective opinion on your part. Sorry for calling you "self centered". I suppose I shoot from the hip and when someone says X IS THE BEST to me that seems self centered. I don't think my favorite album is THE best or that anyone else should and if I did I would think I'm self centered but I could see why you got yourself all uptight about it. Sorry I said that. Feel better?

And as for when Green Day decides that they are in the best frame of mind to record, I'll leave to them whether it's during, right after or 2 years from when they are done doing what they are doing. They haven't let me down yet so I'll trust their opinion not that I don't think your's is as important. 

Peace homes.

FTR, its stupid shit like this that has me a wink away from being done with GDC. I'm too old for dealing with made up dramatic bullshit.

Peace homes.

In all honesty, you post some of the most thoughtful, insightful, and passionate material I've seen on here, and if you go it'll leave a void. Please don't let any of the negative comments get to you, I like to call it the "static" on these boards- just noise, not worth paying attention to or worrying too much over. Thanks for all you contribute.

2 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

I'm too old I need the dramatic bullshit.

:lol:

Also I like the :fuckyou: I wish it was an option in the reactions:)

2 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

In all honesty, you post some of the most thoughtful, insightful, and passionate material I've seen on here, and if you go it'll leave a void. Please don't let any of the negative comments get to you, I like to call it the "static" on these boards- just noise, not worth paying attention to or worrying too much over. Thanks for all you contribute.

Cheers Timmy. I love it here too. Super sweet of you to say that. You're an awesome guy. That hit me in the right spot. Thanks brother.

5 hours ago, SHART said:

:lol:

Also I like the :fuckyou: I wish it was an option in the reactions:)

I will be happy to use it every time I respond to you. :fuckyou:

13 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I love Warning too. That wasn’t really my point. 

Just curious, what was your point? Warning was not hugely successful from a commercial standpoint, it did receive very good reviews. I have read many critical accounts that think the album is some of Billie's best song writing and a highly underrated album. I think most fans like the album as well. 

2 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Just curious, what was your point? Warning was not hugely successful from a commercial standpoint, it did receive very good reviews. I have read many critical accounts that think the album is some of Billie's best song writing and a highly underrated album. I think most fans like the album as well. 

Not worth the joke if you have to explain it, but since it was their least commercial record (not well received at the time) and caused their audiences to shrink and let’s face it, their career to take a step back (to the point where they had to reevaluate their goals and ask if they wanted to keep doing this) it would be ironic for any advisor to suggest that now that they are back on top with stadium shows and a hit record to make another album like Warning. I just think that represents a time period of their smallest fan base that they are happy to leave behind. Nothing to do with the quality of the record. 

And now the joke is officially dead.

13 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Peace homes.

It's like  BJA said, the internet is a home for assholes.  I don't know puke stains but, people jump to an overly dramatic/hostile response behind a keyboard.  The plague of social media.   

I love the concept that Billie, Mike and Tre won't do exactly what they want and decide to do at this point, regardless of what anyone else thinks. :D

15 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I will be happy to use it every time I respond to you. :fuckyou:

fuck off bitch will be my response:lol:

23 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Let me take a quote directly from my post, which you didn't seem to read. "but Warning is probably one of the only Green Day albums that I think is absolutely perfect," I clearly said that I, as in myself, think that Warning is a perfect record. I didn't even call it their best album or my favorite album, I just said that in my opinion it's damn near perfect. I'm sorry that you're so far up your own ass that you can't handle other people having opinions and sharing them on a goddamn online forum.

Archived