Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

13 hours ago, missmiley said:

Ummm okay wow. Once they finish a blood-induced tour and they already drop everything and go right back to the tracks. Green Day deserves a round of applause #clapclapclap :dance:

This time I wanna see them win a Grammy 

Agreed but I'd rather see them just top as many charts as possible and gain a whole lot more attention (provided it's actually a good album). Grammys mean shit these days when you consider who brings them home.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What bothered me a bit about RevRad was the lack of focus in terms of lyrics. They did a great job with songs like Bang Bang and Still Breathing, but there where some songs where I had serious problems to understand what they are actually about. Somewhere Now for instance. It's just all over the place. The same goes for Troubled Times. I get the message, but it's so broad. I want them to tell stories like they did on AI. Because if I look back now, the lyrics are probably the biggest issue that I have with RevRad, even though I love the album as a whole. So a bit more clarity and less cellos lost somewhere over the rainbow, please :D

5 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

What bothered me a bit about RevRad was the lack of focus in terms of lyrics. They did a great job with songs like Bang Bang and Still Breathing, but there where some songs where I had serious problems to understand what they are actually about. Somewhere Now for instance. It's just all over the place. The same goes for Troubled Times. I get the message, but it's so broad. I want them to tell stories like they did on AI. Because if I look back now, the lyrics are probably the biggest issue that I have with RevRad, even though I love the album as a whole. So a bit more clarity and less cellos lost somewhere over the rainbow, please :D

I’m hoping the next album will be more focused lyrically too. I’m sure it was hard enough just writing about all the personal shit on RevRad and they just wanted to have fun playing together and not stress themselves out and overdo it so some of the songs seem underwritten or tossed off. But even though BITUSA is short (it needs a bridge!) lyrically it’s more focused and on point. I’m hoping for more like this for the next album.

I think the lyrics on Rev Rad are quite focused and straightforward. Somewhere Now is about overcoming problems and being in a good place now/"somewhere now", and most of the other songs are just as simply described. I agree that the lyrics can be broad in the sense that they don't always describe something specifically like a story and instead could be applied more broadly to other people/situations, but I think the meaning of each song and each line is usually pretty focused and clear.

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think the lyrics on Rev Rad are quite focused and straightforward. Somewhere Now is about overcoming problems and being in a good place now/"somewhere now", and most of the other songs are just as simply described. I agree that the lyrics can be broad in the sense that they don't always describe something specifically like a story and instead could be applied more broadly to other people/situations, but I think the meaning of each song and each line is usually pretty focused and clear. 

Some are and some aren’t. I agree Somewhere Now is clear and well written, but Youngblood is a poor man’s Last of the American Girls and songs like Say Goodbye and Troubled Times just don’t rise to the level of his 21CB era best.

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Some are and some aren’t. I agree Somewhere Now is clear and well written, but Youngblood is a poor man’s Last of the American Girls and songs like Say Goodbye and Troubled Times just don’t rise to the level of his 21CB era best.

I think they're still focused though. Youngblood describes what it was like being with his wife when they were young, Say Goodbye talks about police violence. Troubled Times is definitely more broad as it's just about being generally confused and despairing at the political situation, and I also prefer political songs that are more focused and less general confusion/general rallying cry, but I think in general the lyrics on the album are clear. I like that Billie dropped the characters and storytelling, it makes the lyrics feel that much more honest and personal.

10 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think they're still focused though. Youngblood describes what it was like being with his wife when they were young, Say Goodbye talks about police violence. Troubled Times is definitely more broad as it's just about being generally confused and despairing at the political situation, and I also prefer political songs that are more focused and less general confusion/general rallying cry, but I think in general the lyrics on the album are clear. I like that Billie dropped the characters and storytelling, it makes the lyrics feel that much more honest and personal.

I agree with that last point but I guess I’m not really arguing focused v broad, I’m just saying based on his lyrics of the past I think he could have expressed some of those ideas even better. There’s a difference between knowing what he’s talking about and that feeling of Yes! Exactly! You describe it perfectly! that I often get from his songs. I’m just not getting that feeling here.

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I agree with that last point but I guess I’m not really arguing focused v broad, I’m just saying based on his lyrics of the past I think he could have expressed some of those ideas even better. There’s a difference between knowing what he’s talking about and that feeling of Yes! Exactly! You describe it perfectly! that I often get from his songs. I’m just not getting that feeling here.

I guess we just differ in that I do feel that then :lol:. Some of the political stuff is a bit broad for my taste but when it comes to the more personal lyrics I relate to or am touched by the ones on this album more than any other.

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I guess we just differ in that I do feel that then :lol:. Some of the political stuff is a bit broad for my taste but when it comes to the more personal lyrics I relate to or am touched by the ones on this album more than any other.

I personally love it when Billie expresses things in a way that's not always objectively clear, but still goes straight to the heart. It's like everyone feels somethings strong about it, but words are not really appropriate to describe it. I think Billie has the rare ability to create this with both his music and lyrics, which are basically simple, but can eventually sound very powerful and personal to one who hears them... I always feel Billie's music, his lyrics more particularly, like sounding social / political at first, but having an undeniable strong, personal background, and that might be the thing that makes every potential listener to deepen it and become a big fan. Billie's concern about social / political issues cannot be separated from the way he has moved on with himself. Once again, these things can't be really described, captured, or even known for what they are really to Billie, but the empathy they create is so big, people can start thinking differently, in a better way, about themselves, when listening to Green Day's music. That's what's happened to me.

Green Day, come back in the studio when you do... I'll be there when you give more shows. I've been so lucky to see you 3 times this year! There will be 3 others for your next tour! :wub:

Both of you are right in my opinion. RevRad songs are quite straightforward if what you want is to say what they are about in one sentence - you can do that easily with all of them. But if you go a bit deeper, at least some parts of the lyrics are very abstract and broad. It suits songs like Somewhere Now and Forever Now but I agree with @pacejunkie punkthat political songs that have more punch simply work better. AI or EJN deliver their message more efficiently than revrad or TT - these two almost sound shallow in comparison. 

20 hours ago, Hermione said:

That's the thing with Billie's lyrics. They've always meant something to him even if they're not immediately relatable on the surface. And he's said that he writes in a way where his lyrics can be interpreted by the listener. So a song like, say, Christie Road, can be about be about something very specific to him. But any of us could listen to it and be reminded of places or landmarks and the halcyon days of our youth.

I really have high hopes for the next album.  I love RevRad but I don’t think Billie was overwhelmed with inspiration like he has been in the past. He had things he wanted to say for sure, but compared to past albums, you could call this a case of writers block. He was inspired for a handful of great songs but the record contains only twelve total.  They said they didn’t have any extra tracks that they didn’t record and of those twelve one was from an earlier movie project, two were trilogy era songs that didn’t make the cut then and two others were so similar to two other current songs they had to credit the writers. So of the twelve only seven were both completely original and new. That’s not the band that goes into the studio with 30-60 songs and picks the 15-20 best.  We didn’t even get any single b-sides because there weren’t any. In the past even their b-sides and unreleased tracks were high quality, they just had so many damn songs.

They had to be rusty after that break. But now I think they’re fired up again. I’d like them to have an over abundance of material next time so only the best of the best ends up on a consistent high quality album of decent length.

15 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I really have high hopes for the next album.  I love RevRad but I don’t think Billie was overwhelmed with inspiration like he has been in the past. He had things he wanted to say for sure, but compared to past albums, you could call this a case of writers block. He was inspired for a handful of great songs but the record contains only twelve total.  They said they didn’t have any extra tracks that they didn’t record and of those twelve one was from an earlier movie project, two were trilogy era songs that didn’t make the cut then and two others were so similar to two other current songs they had to credit the writers. So of the twelve only seven were both completely original and new. That’s not the band that goes into the studio with 30-60 songs and picks the 15-20 best.  We didn’t even get any single b-sides because there weren’t any. In the past even their b-sides and unreleased tracks were high quality, they just had so many damn songs.

They had to be rusty after that break. But now I think they’re fired up again. I’d like them to have an over abundance of material next time so only the best of the best ends up on a consistent high quality album of decent length.

Whoa, which two were trilogy leftovers? I'd seen that Youngblood was 21CB era but...

2 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Whoa, which two were trilogy leftovers? I'd seen that Youngblood was 21CB era but...

I thought YB was trilogy but you’re probably right. I think BOTW was also an older song.

I'd prefer to see more of a 21CB sound than another RevRad sound in the next album (although new, experimental sounds would be even better). RevRad was great, but I don't want the next album to be another RevRad. The lyrics were fine, there were no outright stupid lyrics like you'd find on the trilogy but there were rarely any lyrics that I'd consider genius like I would in other albums.

Some of the personal songs on here don't really have as much impact as other personal songs in their career and some of the political songs are maybe too broad and generic and I think we have enough of those kinds of songs

I'd also like to see them get back into writing a bunch of songs and choosing the best thing. I think that works better for them (as long as they don't go and make another trilogy)

8 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I'd also like to see them get back into writing a bunch of songs and choosing the best thing. I think that works better for them (as long as they don't go and make another trilogy)

Exactly can we have a happy medium please? :lol: It doesn’t have to be 60 songs but 20-30 to choose from would be nice.

I do like Rev Rad but they didn't seem to be in the studio for very long when they did Rev Rad- from January to June/July, I think. The need to be in the studio longer with more songs to play with.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:48 PM, TimmyChunks said:

As always, I admire, respect, and love (in no particular order) your passion and knowledge of music history. You're a real asset to this forum.

Thanks Timmy!  Back atcha my friend. :)

On 11/24/2017 at 1:04 AM, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

It's so not. It's so specific, you just don't know what it's about.   It's objectively about a THING.  Especially SN. It is such a part of a larger narrative that plays out wonderfully and you not getting it doesn't make you less intelligent or something, it just may not be for you.

Somewhere Now, while highly interpretive is about something very specific and it's not at "all over the place".  Every lyric in that song has deep meaning and some multiple meanings.   

At the end of the day, it's art and art is to be appreciated or not by the viewer/listener/whatever so I'm not telling you, you should like it but that it's not cohesive is not really an opinion, that's more of an objective thing that is simply just not true.  The fact of the matter is to really understand what those songs in RevRad are about, you have had to have been through some of it to REALLY understand it.  I say that as someone that strongly relates to it.

4 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

It's so not. It's so specific, you just don't know what it's about.   It's objectively about a THING.  Especially SN. It is such a part of a larger narrative that plays out wonderfully and you not getting it doesn't make you less intelligent or something, it just may not be for you.

Somewhere Now, while highly interpretive is about something very specific and it's not at "all over the place".  Every lyric in that song has deep meaning and some multiple meanings.   

At the end of the day, it's art and art is to be appreciated or not by the viewer/listener/whatever so I'm not telling you, you should like it but that it's not cohesive is not really an opinion, that's more of an objective thing that is simply just not true.  The fact of the matter is to really understand what those songs in RevRad are about, you have had to have been through some of it to REALLY understand it.  I say that as someone that strongly relates to it.

I wish I could like this 1,000 times because that's exactly how I feel. I think RevRad is their most personal album ever and tells the story of losing and finding yourself in such a heartfelt, honest way that it still blows me away every time I listen to it. The whole record sounds like a confession, as if Billie opened his diary in front of our eyes without hiding behind a storyline or an alter ego ("my name is Billie and I'm freaking out"!!). I think that songs like Somewhere Now, Forever Now and Still Breathing have some of the best lyrics Billie has ever written. But I understand that not everyone can relate to it. I always felt that RevRad was made for "like-minded people", for those who have been through the same or similar shit, and maybe it's just not possible to truly feel the message behind it if you haven't been there (yet).

just watched this interview from a little over a year ago. Billie said they already have some songs and that they hope a new album would be out sooner rather than later. check it out, about 15 minutes in

3 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

just watched this interview from a little over a year ago. Billie said they already have some songs and that they hope a new album would be out sooner rather than later. check it out, about 15 minutes in

Hmm, that probably means it's not going to be a concept album though, right? Thanks for the video link btw.

Archived