Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

If I’m honest, though I love American Idiot and other political work they’ve done, I think it would be time to move on. Not necessarily unpolitical, but if political I wish that their lyrics would kind of reflect more the plot of Back In The USA’s music video. It was funny and serious at the same time, full of irony and sarcasm. It’s core message was clear, but differentiated and not militant / annoying. They could do more in that direction though, be more relatable for example, it’s fine to talk to older people to, not just ‘’young (pseudo) revolutionaries’’

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

I absolutely disagree about Back in the USA not being specific. It is not a generic, the world is in chaos song, it is about how the US is changing based on our current administration. And, based on the video, will go so far to say it is asking for everyone to not sit back and let that happen. That is just as specific, if not even more specific, than a song about gun violence or religion. Also, I think it is far more specific than Say Goodbye (I do love Say Goodbye), but to me SG is a "we are in chaos" song. 

OK, maybe not the best example :P. I think Say Goodbye is quite specifically about police violence though.

26 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

I wish that their lyrics would kind of reflect more the plot of Back In The USA’s music video. It was funny and serious at the same time, full of irony and sarcasm. It’s core message was clear, but differentiated and not militant / annoying.

That's what I wish too. I hope the new album will be political af, but in a sarcastic, funny, light way, which is so hard to do but they have proven that they are capable of it with this new video. It shows the best Green Day has to offer and I really, really hope that the new album is heading in this direction. I love AI and 21CB for what they are and they will always be important and perfect, but times have changed drastically and I think political rock music needs a different approach today than 8 or 13 years ago to hit the nerve. And if someone can hit that nerve again I'm sure it's those three amazing guys. :wub:

1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

That's what I wish too. I hope the new album will be political af, but in a sarcastic, funny, light way, which is so hard to do but they have proven that they are capable of it with this new video. It shows the best Green Day has to offer and I really, really hope that the new album is heading in this direction. I love AI and 21CB for what they are and they will always be important and perfect, but times have changed drastically and I think political rock music needs a different approach today than 8 or 13 years ago to hit the nerve. And if someone can hit that nerve again I'm sure it's those three amazing guys. :wub:

I think the internet has been the driver of that change where messages that hit home have to be short, funny and attention grabbing. 

8 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

wut? sooooo many questions here, such as: didn't both the lookouts and the weasels break up a LONG time ago - lookouts I thought broke up around the same time green day put out there first record. Also, since when did Mike ever have anything to do with screeching weasel? To be perfectly honest though, I would LOVE to hear something new from any of the bands mentioned above.

Umm,  ME!

I used to like you :lol:

I’ll take that as a joke. Also, anyone that doesn’t appreciate the Beastie Boys doesn’t know music well enough to have an intelligent discussion about it. They have literally made a good song in almost every genre.

Not saying, everyone HAS to like them but yeah, if you don’t like the Beasties, aside from that fact, you probably wouldn’t like me in real life. 

I have found people that ONLY like GD or only goth make me want to punch myself in the balls constantly. ;)

I say goth because people like myself who just like good rock, don’t care about any other aspect of it, although I do dig me some eye liner.

9 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

I’ll take that as a joke. Also, anyone that doesn’t appreciate the Beastie Boys doesn’t know music well enough to have an intelligent discussion about it. They have literally made a good song in almost every genre.

Not saying, everyone HAS to like them but yeah, if you don’t like the Beasties, aside from that fact, you probably wouldn’t like me in real life. 

I have found people that ONLY like GD or only goth make me want to punch myself in the balls constantly. ;)

I say goth because people like myself who just like good rock, don’t care about any other aspect of it, although I do dig me some eye liner.

Yeah, I was joking. (still don't like the Beastie Boys though) :lol:

To be honest I agree with most points you make, until you got to that band.

I've always just thought of them as another boy band, albeit a particularly irritating one. That being said, maybe I just don't know them well enough.

And yeah, people who stick unflinchingly to ONE band, genre, etc., only, and will refuse to look beyond that irritate me to no end.

1 hour ago, SHART said:

@Billie Joe Armstrong the predictions have started.  Open the thread:lol:

Paging @Joe i-can't-remember-the-rest-of-your-name :lol:

8 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

I've always just thought of them as another boy band, albeit a particularly irritating one. That being said, maybe I just don't know them well enough.

And yeah, people who stick unflinchingly to ONE band, genre, etc., only, and will refuse to look beyond that irritate me to no end.

Paging @Joe i-can't-remember-the-rest-of-your-name :lol:

Maybe just going off their first and most famous rap album you'd get that impression, with Fight For Your Right To Party etc. That album was fun but they matured a lot after that and made all kinds of experimental and groundbreaking music. And before all that they were a hardcore punk band. Definitely more than a boy band. Sorry for off topic but I have to encourage Beastie Boys appreciation :P 

9 hours ago, SHART said:

@Billie Joe Armstrong the predictions have started.  Open the thread:lol:

Down to the month one day after the Rev Rad tour is over, must be a new record :lol: 

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

Down to the month one day after the Rev Rad tour is over, must be a new record :lol: 

Woo hoo!! Do I get an award? 

10 hours ago, Hermione said:

It will happen on a Friday though:D

On 11/20/2017 at 6:17 PM, Jesus of Seneca said:

@Hermione You don't need any, but you have just scored about 50 million points for pointing out the Beastie Boys not being a boy band.  Indeed, License to Ill (their first album of note) was indeed not like any of their other albums as it was all 80s style rap but songs like "Fight For Your Right" ironically was actually a joke song.  They always found it odd that that song was one of the biggest hits off License to Ill but that was still a good album.

But here is a history of Beasties in song form.  I implore you @Jesus of Seneca to listen to them.  Give them a chance.  They are genre crossing for a reason.  People that love rock, hip hop, jazz or blues liked the Beasties through their multiple year career and they threw a pretty bad ass concert experience to boot.

From Paul's Boutique which by the was by the way their second studio album and they set the world on fire by not at all doing what they did with License to Ill as referenced by Herms.  It was a complete departure and threw fans and reviewers for a loop and the album flopped commercially but over the decades has become one of the most popular albums, and certainly the most popular hip hop album (critically of all time, literally).

Also, most boy bands aren't Tibetan Freedom Fighters...

7 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Indeed, but if we want to carry on posting about the Beasties we should probably do it here :P 

I would say the one thing we can be sure of is that we can never be sure of what they will do next.  We had the Network and the Tubbies when we didn't expect them, we weren't even sure BITUSA was a new song and not "just" a cover and we got 100% Green Day and a kick ass video we didn't even know was in the works!  I - like Billie Joe - love it when GD is goofy, I think they are one of the few bands who are able to pull off being topical/satirical/witty/rocking at once.  I think it will be at least 2019 before we have new music but who knows.  I don't mind them being political, I would use topical or even observational rather than political but they do need to watch, that can both be dating which I know they want to avoid, and tiresome.  

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

Indeed, but if we want to carry on posting about the Beasties we should probably do it here :P 

You're like detective Nick Angel in Hot Fuzz.  You can't switch off. ;)

I'm Danny in this video:

12 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

You're like detective Nick Angel in Hot Fuzz.  You can't switch off. ;)

I'm Danny in this video:

:lol: Yes, but take the hint and stop making off topic posts plz

On 20/11/2017 at 5:27 PM, LaughingClock said:

Sorry @Hermione if I answer on this off-topic matter, but as it seems to me as a quite general and interesting subject, I want to say this:

I believe everyone loves a band / a type of music in a personal, therefore unique way; and that one person can love or not a band, depending on the moment of the discovery. When someone says they don't "like" a band, maybe there just aren't mentally disposed to give a real listen. For my own case, if I had fallen on Green Day's music 5 years ago, not sure I would have even liked them. While today, I love them so much it's beyond words, and the things I love the most about them, I'm not sure someone else would see it (or see it the same way). Also, people can easily believe I love only Green Day, while I can listen with pleasure to practically any type of music, and I have opened myself to plenty of various music after I discovered GD. But I don't feel the need or desire to listen to all this stuff, or very seldom, while I don't spend a day without listening to Green Day. That will always be so but it doesn't prevent me from finding new stuff to like every here and then...

Back on topic, waiting for Green Day will always be long, whether it's a day, a year, maybe two years... but at the same time, time passes quickly, and they have been filled with so much passion on this tour, I feel they'll come up again rather sooner than later; I don't have any precise date expectations, I only know I'll be there to see them live again. Meanwhile, may they just rest as long as they need after this crazy tour. So hopefully the next tour will be as crazy - I'm sure it will be! :runaround:

12 hours ago, jengd said:

I would say the one thing we can be sure of is that we can never be sure of what they will do next.  We had the Network and the Tubbies when we didn't expect them, we weren't even sure BITUSA was a new song and not "just" a cover and we got 100% Green Day and a kick ass video we didn't even know was in the works!  I - like Billie Joe - love it when GD is goofy, I think they are one of the few bands who are able to pull off being topical/satirical/witty/rocking at once.  I think it will be at least 2019 before we have new music but who knows.  I don't mind them being political, I would use topical or even observational rather than political but they do need to watch, that can both be dating which I know they want to avoid, and tiresome.  

2019 absolute latest. Most likely before.  Should  definitely at least be in the can by then.

Ummm okay wow. Once they finish a blood-induced tour and they already drop everything and go right back to the tracks. Green Day deserves a round of applause #clapclapclap :dance:

This time I wanna see them win a Grammy 

Album 13.  

I think it should be an album of balance.  An album with insane experimental departures the likes the world has never heard before (!)......alongside dependable classic Green Day.  Bold and rocking, yet refined and epic.  

They've perfected Rock N Roll and unperfected Punk.....now it's time for them to topple Country and......whatever else they want to throw into the pot.  Get Lady Cobra battle rapping Miranda Lambert on an EDM / death metal song.   Ya know, something you can cry to or burn a church down at the same time?   

I am imagining an album like American Idiot in scope, but more experimental in sound.   Wider range.   

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, LaughingClock said:

@Hermione You don't need any, but you have just scored about 50 million points for pointing out the Beastie Boys not being a boy band.  Indeed, License to Ill (their first album of note) was indeed not like any of their other albums as it was all 80s style rap but songs like "Fight For Your Right" ironically was actually a joke song.  They always found it odd that that song was one of the biggest hits off License to Ill but that was still a good album.

But here is a history of Beasties in song form.  I implore you @Jesus of Seneca to listen to them.  Give them a chance.  They are genre crossing for a reason.  People that love rock, hip hop, jazz or blues liked the Beasties through their multiple year career and they threw a pretty bad ass concert experience to boot.

From Paul's Boutique which by the was by the way their second studio album and they set the world on fire by not at all doing what they did with License to Ill as referenced by Herms.  It was a complete departure and threw fans and reviewers for a loop and the album flopped commercially but over the decades has become one of the most popular albums, and certainly the most popular hip hop album (critically of all time, literally).

Also, most boy bands aren't Tibetan Freedom Fighters...

As always, I admire, respect, and love (in no particular order) your passion and knowledge of music history. You're a real asset to this forum.

Archived