Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

4 hours ago, Jonas01 said:

I would as u know love to see a live DVD and a live album. And then in a few years they can make a studio album. What i actually thought about one day, might not be a good idea at all, but i have always dreamed a bit for a Green Day Acoustic album... All the hits on one album , just acoustic. 

I was going to said same thing...o.k here is what the  boys should do after RevRad tour if officially over.

1. released a full live version of their RevRad on DVD or Netfllix 

2. green day's greatest hits from Al/21 and RevRad

3. Billie have new ep solo album or do new  FBHT cd and live

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't like a live album, actually. Or a fucking greatest hits compilation.

Green Day as a band succeeded in building a statement with their discography and choices of what and when to release. After their gradual rising after Dookie and expanding their music on nimrod and Warning, American Idiot era was such an important thing in their carreer, and it made a huge impact on world of music and themselves. It had this theatrical and triumphal feel and it seemed like each of their interviews and TV appearances was very important. It was a milestone.Then they released Bullet In A Bible, which was a perfect closing of an era, their first live album, after almost 20 years of their existance. Rob Cavallo and Sam Bayer doing it.. it was just perfect.

I think they blew it with Awesome As Fuck. It seemed forced, too soon, with lousy production and dumb title. That kind of broke that building of triumphal wall, which they kind of compensated with the trilogy project, which I think was a great and important thing/era, even if it wasn't based around concept record and a story. It was kind of a dark period because of Billie's problems and it kind of rounded off the whole Jesus Of Suburbia / St. Jimmy / drugs / feeling lost and confused story of his life.

Revolution Radio was a great fresh start, but I definitely don't think it deserves a live album.

I feel and hope to god that their next record will be the next big chapter in their career, after Dookie and American Idiot. Another milestone. I think they still got it, even it kind of struck me after watching ''Teens react to'', where kids said they consider Green Day an 'old' band. It is true that they've been a band for thirty years and that years and life fly so fucking fast, but they're still young enough to embrace their creativity and make another big thing. They're not the Rolling Stones who kind of did all they can and now they enjoy this cult status, doing live shows just for fun, almost living on old glory.

I will always and forever love what Green Day does, cause I'm a fan for life. Green Day is still relevant. fist-smash-smiley-emoticon.gif

@Mato I agree with you they should only be looking toward the future and the next new thing now. Enough looking back. I think they know this too, which was why a change of management happened at this point. They wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

I don't know man, it just seems right now at this point in their carreers, where they're happy about still being together and producing stuff and playing live gigs full of energy and passion to release a live album to document this. It shouldn't be ambitious or aim high, it should be more like revrad, a testament to the fans and the world that Green Day is still going and still kicking ass (albeit not currently with the ''let's take on the planet and be massive'' attitude, which is just fine) . So, either do one of their shows of this tour (including club tour) or release the 2015 house of blues show on CD (or online) or something like that. 

3 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

I don't know man, it just seems right now at this point in their carreers, where they're happy about still being together and producing stuff and playing live gigs full of energy and passion to release a live album to document this. It shouldn't be ambitious or aim high, it should be more live revrad. Either do one of their shows this tour (including club tour) or release the 2015 house of blues show on CD or something like that. 

They wouldn't even have to release a cd. Some quality live stuff online would be enough for me

Yeah totally. The medium is unimportant, however, preferably with the option of a high quality (for example lossless) download. But tbh, if the mixing and mastering is ok, I'll take YouTube upload too. I'm all in favour being more up to date there... Just something to document this tour and album cycle appropriately...

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

@Mato I agree with you they should only be looking toward the future and the next new thing now. Enough looking back. I think they know this too, which was why a change of management happened at this point. They wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Yeah...it is true.💚

10 hours ago, GreenDayTheory said:

Green Day's probably go with a concept album.Maybe 21th Century Breakdown part 2

Maybe this is jumping a little far, but I feel like I can confidently say Green Day will never do a 'part 2' of anything. They just aren't that kind of band.

It's really kind of crazy that they're still relevant and like half their audience is under 30. It's kind of unprecedented. Many kids are of course going to think of them as an old band because they have been around forever even if they are still relatively young guys. It's unavoidable. But to have as many kids as they do who are actively fans, that's really impressive. I hope whatever they put out next builds on Rev Rad's momentum. I'm not sure they could have an American Idiot level hit again (less because of them more because fewer people than ever seem to care about rock music) but it would be cool to see them come close. 

16 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

I don't know man, it just seems right now at this point in their carreers, where they're happy about still being together and producing stuff and playing live gigs full of energy and passion to release a live album to document this. It shouldn't be ambitious or aim high, it should be more like revrad, a testament to the fans and the world that Green Day is still going and still kicking ass (albeit not currently with the ''let's take on the planet and be massive'' attitude, which is just fine) . So, either do one of their shows of this tour (including club tour) or release the 2015 house of blues show on CD (or online) or something like that. 

Yes a live DVD would wrap up this tour so great, bu i don't think it'll happen

2 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I'm not sure they could have an American Idiot level hit again (less because of them more because fewer people and ever seem to care about rock music) but it would be cool to see them come close. 

This is like my inner secret hope and has been for a while. I mean, I know they are great song-writers and everyone who listens to them can relate to them so well, so why not again at some point? 

18 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

or release the 2015 house of blues show on CD (or online) or something like that. 

3e2.gif

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

This is like my inner secret hope and has been for a while. I mean, I know they are great song-writers and everyone who listens to them can relate to them so well, so why not again at some point? 

Mine too. And I may be a bad judge but I feel like Rev Rad came close to being close? If that makes sense. I mean, it hit number one and created a lot of buzz, got them some mainstream attention for sure (probably largely due to what they did at the AMAs). Would be cool if the next one went just a step further and really got people talking. 

On 9/18/2017 at 1:04 PM, LaughingClock said:

Yes, I wasn't trying to debate anything about the compression or anything, just letting people know who might not what compression actually is. That's all my post was there.

Here, I do actually disagree with you a little. Right now the biggest problem with music is not compression (well it is) but a different kind of compression.

Compression in the form of MP3 to reduce file size for streaming and storage in 1997.

THE EXACT same compression algorithm used in 1997 is the one used today and it's a 10 to 1 compression algorithm. This is NOT a lossless codec.

A compressor/decompressor is a digital method of making something small and then injecting it back to be large again once playing. In 1997, MP3s were great as storage was much more expensive and streaming was much more slow.

THE ONLY reason we still use MP3 is because the average user doesn't care about sound as much as they think. You would think the studios would start pushing a new compression that is lossless such as FLAC which is a lossless algorithm.

Example. Here is for simplicity an algorithm.

A sample is made of x amount of slices and we can make them large enough now that those slices are so close to each other it's damn near analogue in it's capture. For example if you make 3 samples over a sound wave, it will play back like shit but 500 over that same slice will sample (record) the sliced audio a ton and make it completely lossless.

But to deliver and stream a lossless codec, you need to use one.

So we record something live and turn it into a bunch of 1s and 0s.

Fake algorithm on the compression part; Remove a "1" after anywhere where there are three "0"s in a row.

Fake algorithm on the uncompression: Insert a "1" after anywhere there are three "0"s in a row.

This would be a completely lossless algorithm but the files would be huge.  There are much more complicated lossless algorithms.

Mp3 are notoriously lossy and make it sound like shit WAY more than any comprsssion does. The fact that people are even judging stuff when they are steaming it over an MP3 always makes me nuts.

FLAC or some other codec including MP4 would be a million times better for making the original product reproduced as intended.

The biggest enemy of sonic quality right now are codecs (specifically mp3s), not compression. (Although codec is a compression as to not be confused, it's a compression of a file, not the waveform). I am saying that to the uniniatiated. I know you understand this.

Its something that desperately needs fixing. :off soapbox:

Edit: Still using MP3s is the sonic equivalent to still watching a 480i cathoray tube television then a 4K one today and yet we have tons of lossless video codecs but still using MP3s because people more easily see the difference.  However, if you polled people and gave them an A/B choice of audio, the difference between MP3 and FLAC would be massive.

I implore all of you to demand better audio!

I am in NO way technologically inclined so, this may be a "dumb" question, but...  does a CD sound better than digital media from a source like iTunes?

Please say "yes" so I can justify still buying hard copies, LOL!

1 hour ago, Riotgrrl_GD said:

DI am in NO way technologically inclined so, this may be a "dumb" question, but...  does a CD sound better than digital media from a source like iTunes?

Depends on the CD. Some use PCM wav audio and it's sampled at a decent 44k and is usually completely uncompressed and much better audio than an MP3.

I'd love a live DVD from the Revolution Radio tour. I enjoy Bullet In A Bible and Awesome As Fuck, the only problem is they're edited shows. Unless, there's a technical problem or a copyright problem (with covers) I don't know why you wouldn't want to include your full set on a DVD.

3 hours ago, Riotgrrl_GD said:

You don't need to justify it, it's a personal preference. I like a lot of bands so I can't afford buying physical copies for all of them (I get quite a few albums from the library and import them into itunes), but if it's a band I really love I always buy a hard copy.

17 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Depends on the CD. Some use PCM wav audio and it's sampled at a decent 44k and is usually completely uncompressed and much better audio than an MP3.

So, when I purchase music on iTunes the files are MP3?  

On 9/19/2017 at 12:04 PM, MillenniumFan said:

all genres rotate popularity in turn. I think the likelyhood is there that rock will resume control of the mainstream again, whether in the near - or distant - future.

19 hours ago, Riotgrrl_GD said:

So, when I purchase music on iTunes the files are MP3?  

No iTunes is most of the time m4a sometimes acc 

On 9/18/2017 at 4:47 PM, Mato said:

I wouldn't like a live album, actually. Or a fucking greatest hits compilation.

Green Day as a band succeeded in building a statement with their discography and choices of what and when to release. After their gradual rising after Dookie and expanding their music on nimrod and Warning, American Idiot era was such an important thing in their carreer, and it made a huge impact on world of music and themselves. It had this theatrical and triumphal feel and it seemed like each of their interviews and TV appearances was very important. It was a milestone.Then they released Bullet In A Bible, which was a perfect closing of an era, their first live album, after almost 20 years of their existance. Rob Cavallo and Sam Bayer doing it.. it was just perfect.

I think they blew it with Awesome As Fuck. It seemed forced, too soon, with lousy production and dumb title. That kind of broke that building of triumphal wall, which they kind of compensated with the trilogy project, which I think was a great and important thing/era, even if it wasn't based around concept record and a story. It was kind of a dark period because of Billie's problems and it kind of rounded off the whole Jesus Of Suburbia / St. Jimmy / drugs / feeling lost and confused story of his life.

Revolution Radio was a great fresh start, but I definitely don't think it deserves a live album.

I feel and hope to god that their next record will be the next big chapter in their career, after Dookie and American Idiot. Another milestone. I think they still got it, even it kind of struck me after watching ''Teens react to'', where kids said they consider Green Day an 'old' band. It is true that they've been a band for thirty years and that years and life fly so fucking fast, but they're still young enough to embrace their creativity and make another big thing. They're not the Rolling Stones who kind of did all they can and now they enjoy this cult status, doing live shows just for fun, almost living on old glory.

I will always and forever love what Green Day does, cause I'm a fan for life. Green Day is still relevant. fist-smash-smiley-emoticon.gif

Actually Bible wasn’t their first live cd it’s their first full length but they have several live ep’s dating back to 94/95 

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

Actually Bible wasn’t their first live cd it’s their first full length but they have several live ep’s dating back to 94/95 

Exactly, and that's why I'd really like some live stuff for this tour: be it a full blown live DVD, a live EP/album on CD or just some live content on YouTube / as a digital download. Every tour cycle pretty much since Dookie has had some form of live content (usually Live EPs, but there are of course the two live albums and Cuatro, which has live recordings).

4 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

If that's the thing you quoted out of my whole post, I think you've kind of missed the whole point of it.

And even so, that's why I said first live ''album'', as in complete recorded show (even it misses couple of tracks they played), with an accent on the DVD and the big production (hence mentioning Rob Cavallo and Sam Bayer). Since I am a life time fan of the band, I am fully aware of Live Tracks, Bowling Bowling Bowling Parking Parking, Tune In Tokyo etc., (which are all EPs with less than ten songs) so I know what and why I wrote in that post. :)

Album 13!  If it really is a "short" break by Green Day standards then it could possibly be out in 2018 or 2019. 

Green Day are a classic band and I like the idea of them doing a classic sounding album.  Straight up old school rock n roll with Green Day soul.  Foo Fighters new album sounds like they were trying to recreate Pink Floyd and Zeppelin.....with mixed to glorious effect. 

I don't see them going into the studio directly after this huge tour. Probably have a reasonable long break (like 6 months-a year) I have no idea where Green Day might go next for their album. Hopefully kinda more in the direction of like Warning or Nimrod where there's still experimentation as well as an album that's just a collection of great songs.

(SORRY IF THIS GOES OFF TOPIC)

On 9/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, LaughingClock said:

Everything since 1975 is too compressed in my opinion.  Little known fact, it was actually the Beatles (the band to really start playing with sonic differences and engineering tactics in the studio) who really took advantage of compression, eventually for loudnesss, especially how it plays on the air (radio).

Go listen to Led Zeppelin 1 on vinyl with cans to really hear dynamic range that we don't get ever anymore. Dynamic range is hearing the spaciality of the instruments that are miced.  Such as hearing a guitar over there, a bass over there and something else over there. The loss of that is the cost of loudness (compression).

And here is a more spacial waveform. Keep in mind that waveforms as I'm showing them here are recorded digital samples of recorded music. It was once all tapes and reels and a machine to show the analogue version of this in various forms. A less compressed and better looking waveform:

(NOT TRYING TO ARGUE, just like discussing this.) Since 1975? I'm surprised you think that. I personally think most albums post-1995 get to be pretty over compressed with a few exceptions (Weezer's Red Album has a GREAT master IMO) and that early 1990s had the best.  I kinda find compression as like a god-send to music in some ways. It gives so much more emphasis for individual instruments, as well as bring the volume of a track to a respectable level, although it can easily be abused (revolution radio). I think that there's a great sweet spot where the music isn't so quiet I need to turn the volume to max and it still not be enough, and not so loud that switching from an acoustic ballad to a hard rock song will give me a heart attack from the volume. The HD tracks American Idiot hits that balance perfectly I think. 

The top track in this picture is my band's totally unmastered/uncompressed (besides drums/vocals pre-master FX) track "Moonlight", which is very similar to a late 70s-early 80s song in terms of dynamic range. The middle track is Holiday's 2012 HDTracks master which sounds AMAZING, and the bottom is "Pardon Me" from Weezer's Make Believe which is one of the many songs that are so overdone that the song itself is audibly clipping throughout the whole track. Funny how their next album (Red) has such a great master.

ba766b00007044c5bb2535b270136c91.png

Here's Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana (1991) and "Sanity" by Bad Religion (1989).

2bf839ee8740a65c7791e9225f36a084.png

And here's Bang Bang, which clips along with most tracks on Revolution Radio.

f688e361eeb6b4944b90dbe48e76596a.png

On 9/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, LaughingClock said:

Dynamic range is hearing the spaciality of the instruments that are miced.  Such as hearing a guitar over there, a bass over there and something else over there. The loss of that is the cost of loudness (compression)

I wouldn't exactly say that. It kinda make sense, but I always look at it as how stricly it keeps the volume of a recording at a flat rate. You can still hear every instrument fine at the same time, but overcompression will lead to less "breathing space" which can make something sound like it's swelling in a sense. This is most noticable on a radio station. Once again, I dont find compression bad at all. I only find the general compression of commercially successful albums post 1995 as overcompressed, but it doesn't effect my listening experience much. It makes a differences for sure, but it only truely bothers me if the music is CLIPPING like Make Believe by Weezer. 

On 9/18/2017 at 1:04 PM, LaughingClock said:

Edit: Still using MP3s is the sonic equivalent to still watching a 480i cathoray tube television then a 4K one today and yet we have tons of lossless video codecs but still using MP3s because people more easily see the difference.  However, if you polled people and gave them an A/B choice of audio, the difference between MP3 and FLAC would be massive.

I implore all of you to demand better audio!

I do find the great need for less compressed audio. I wish it was easier to get many albums in lossless form, but that's why I love to buy CDs. A cheap, physical way to get lossless music. HDTracks is a great site too but it doesn't offer everything. One thing though is that I doubt that most people can tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 and lossless FLAC, or even 224kbps variable to lossless with decent listening conditions. I can easily pick out the compression in 128 and 256kbps easily but 320kbps is really hard for me to differenciate from lossless. It's there but extremely subtle. Also YES do demand better audio!

Spoiler

(Also CRT TVs for life! My band is even named "The CRTs")

Sorry for going way off topic. I love talking about this stuff!

Archived