Bullet in a Bible on Blu-Ray: is it a visual upgrade from the DVD?

Yosuke Hanamura

So none of BIAB was shot on film. I was watching it randomly today and I noticed even the documentary stuff was ENG and the show was live to tape as you can see in the TD video village. Not sure why I forgot that.

BCUy0iw.jpg 

Bad shot but I screen captured the director in video village going "live to tape" which means they treat it as live at the show and then cleans up the edit later.

And unless the mags are on the bottom, this is a digital cam as well during the documentary parts.

7qfB2ti.jpg

FTR, wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong or right, just noticed and wasn't sure before. Thought it sounded crazy to shoot a concert like this on film but it's been done. Rare now.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Anf unless the mags are on the bottom, this is a digital cam as well during the documentary parts.

So do you still think the Blu-Ray is true HD, or an upconvert?

11 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

So none of BIAB was shot on film.

Well SOMETHING was. Two somethings that needed two different labs. They would not have been formally credited along with Kodak if they hadnt used it. Not the concert, no, but something was.

11 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

And unless the mags are on the bottom, this is a digital cam as well during the documentary parts.

That may apply to backstage randomness, but due to the formal crediting, I stick to the thought that the formal sit down interviews (which have no visible behing the scenes footage to accompany it) were probably done on film.

47 minutes ago, RougeRogue said:

Well SOMETHING was. Two somethings that needed two different labs. They would not have been formally credited along with Kodak if they hadnt used it. Not the concert, no, but something was.

That may apply to backstage randomness, but due to the formal crediting, I stick to the thought that the formal sit down interviews (which have no visible behing the scenes footage to accompany it) were probably done on film.

They very well might have.  It's possible that camera was one of those bottom load mags.  In fact, it looks sort of like it might be.

However, as I suspected, and this goes for sure, that the concert footage was live to tape on DigiBeta.  Video village wouldn't have the directed TDing if it was film.  I mean, I GUESS they could have a video assist but the director was in video village technical directing the shots and unless he was creating a keycode mix of film to be transferred back to film (after having some sort of video assist on the cameras)....I'm stopping, this would be so ineffective and expensive.  I still believe it's possible that the docu stuff (including the cam I screen grabbed) is film but I would be amazed if the concert footage was.  It just doesn't make sense with the stuff I see.  There are ways to do it, it's not impossible, but I don't think the concert footage is film but there aren't as many cameras as I thought so I started to think "maybe" until I saw the shot of VV.  I personally don't care. LOL.  Which wold make one wonder why I am discussing this ad nauseum but anyway, I think it's video on the concert footage.  /scene

51 minutes ago, Xboxmaster1466 said:

I'm pretty sure the helicopter footage was shot on film

I don't think so but could be wrong.

Did you hear Sam call for the chopper "where is the chopper" in video village in that scene where the cut to him?  That is so when they are laying down the "live to tape" he can switch to it from the video room.

Again, IT'S POSSIBLE, however unlikely, that they were using all video assists to make a key code cut from film and going live to tape that way but the amount of pain in the arse that would be again is so astronomical that it would just be nuts. It's not impossible and I am not saying I am definitely right but the fact they are going live to tape and have a video switcher sort of kills the idea that the concert footage, including the chopper is video, unless he was asking "wear is the chopper" because he couldn't see it in the video because it was film.   The whole thing has a film look anyway.  It was 2005, making video look like film was a piece of piss back then.

I will try and find out because now I just want to know. All signs point to video on the concert footage.

The video switchers that you see are the same as in this video. I did a quick search so you guys can see what "Live to Tape" means and here is a couple of kids showing it.  At about 3:15 they cut to the switchers and what happens is they lay down the video as it shot, can't do that with film.

• 1 month later...

Another advantage of the Blu-Ray that should be noted:

If you run the DVD through a Blu-Ray Player, or Upconverting DVD Player, the resulted deinterlacing will show ghosting on the screens from the stage.

This however is not present on the Blu-Ray as it is native progressive.

Hopefully their next release doesn't look like shit. AAF is disappointing. I'm thankful we have it, but it's just terrible at parts.

On 2/4/2018 at 12:12 AM, 96Tomato said:

Hopefully their next release doesn't look like shit. AAF is disappointing. I'm thankful we have it, but it's just terrible at parts.

I agree. For one, AAF looks blurry in comparison to BIAB.

Secondly, those colors.. Some look appealing, like the deep reds on GSB and Holiday, or the blues on BOBD and 21 Guns, but some.. Just look terrible :sick:. The greens on Static Age, or the all yellow filter on Burnout. Why suck the life out of part of the concert by over-saturating the dull greens? 

On 2/6/2018 at 2:20 PM, Yuri Plisetsky said:

I agree. For one, AAF looks blurry in comparison to BIAB. It doesn't help that the disc is in 1080i, not 1080p. It's even more bizarre when you figure out that BIAB was 1080p. Interlacing it makes it impossible to activate 24fps, where it looks the sharpest, even when deinterlacing.

Secondly, those colors.. Some look appealing, like the deep reds on GSB and Holiday, or the blues on BOBD and 21 Guns, but some.. Just look terrible :sick:. The greens on Static Age, or the all yellow filter on Burnout. Why suck the life out of part of the concert by over-saturating the dull greens? 

Yeah legit, it looks like it was edited (and even rendered) on a phone. There are some shots that look nice and detailed, but 90% of it just looks fugly. They should take some notes from Muse on how to do a release. Oh and please for the love of all that is Green Day, include the whole show.

• 1 year later...

It’s probably obvious at this point, but this is for clarification. Bullet in a Bible was not shot on film, as the BD Disc is rendered in 1080i to preserve 30fps video via interlacing.

Archived