Green Day Donates Original Tour Bus To Wheels For Wishes

desertrose

Rock & Roll Hall of Famers Green Day donated their first ever tour bus to Car Donation Foundation d/b/a Wheels For Wishes, benefiting Make-A-Wish. The bus, affectionately known to Green Day fans as the bookmobile, took the band on its first year of touring. Now the bus will be on its way towards helping bay area kids!

The Tour Bus

The bus is an old bookmobile that drummer Tre Cool’s dad decked out to be a tour bus. It was used on their first year of touring around the country. According to a 2009 Rolling Stone interview with Tre, the bus made for a bumpy ride but it was still awesome.

Green Day toured the country in ’93 and ’94 performing songs from one of their most popular and successful albums, Dookie. This album, their major label debut, helped the band’s popularity soar and has sold more than 20 million copies to date.

The bookmobile tour bus was how Green Day traveled to festivals like Lollapalooza and Woodstock ’94. For some people, Woodstock ’94 is most remembered for the infamous mud fight between Green Day and the crowd that resulted in bassist Mike Dirnt injuring his arm and breaking two teeth when a security guard mistook him for a fan and tackled him into stage equipment. 

The Bookmobile’s Next Journey

Although the bookmobile has long since been retired as a tour bus, its legacy will live on. Now that Wheels For Wishes has received this donation, it will be restored by West Coast Customs. Later on, the bookmobile will go on display at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. On top of that, it will be auctioned off and the proceeds from this donation will also go on to help Make-A-Wish.

You can help your local Make-A-Wish grant more wishes too! All you need to do is donate a car, boat, RV, motorcycle or other vehicle to Wheels For Wishes, benefiting your local chapter of Make-A-Wish. Wheels For Wishes benefits Make-A-Wish chapters around the country. Find your local chapter here to get started!

If you have a car to donate, give Wheels For Wishes a call at 1-877-431-9474 or fill out an online car donation form. Our donation representatives are here to help with any questions you may have about donating a car to charity. No matter your car’s age or condition, we can accept it in most cases. Let your old car go on to do bigger and better things by donating it to Wheels For Wishes today!

https://www.wheelsforwishes.org/news/green-day-donates-original-tour-bus-to-wheels-for-wishes/

DGzY8IEWsAEWcM_.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bookmobile! The restoration is amazing. I can't believe they are going to put it on display at the Hall of Fame museum, that's legendary. I'd love to go see it when it's there. What a nice donation and it's great to see the bookmobile restored, it's a great piece of GD history. 

Everytime I see the bookmobile I think of this interview with our little pups just starting out on their journey:

Well, looks like I'll be headed back to Cleveland soon to see it. :lol: 

3 hours ago, desertrose said:

Rock & Roll Hall of Famers Green Day donated their first ever tour bus to Car Donation Foundation d/b/a Wheels For Wishes, benefiting Make-A-Wish. The bus, affectionately known to Green Day fans as the bookmobile, took the band on its first year of touring. Now the bus will be on its way towards helping bay area kids!

The Tour Bus

The bus is an old bookmobile that drummer Tre Cool’s dad decked out to be a tour bus. It was used on their first year of touring around the country. According to a 2009 Rolling Stone interview with Tre, the bus made for a bumpy ride but it was still awesome.

Green Day toured the country in ’93 and ’94 performing songs from one of their most popular and successful albums, Dookie. This album, their major label debut, helped the band’s popularity soar and has sold more than 20 million copies to date.

The bookmobile tour bus was how Green Day traveled to festivals like Lollapalooza and Woodstock ’94. For some people, Woodstock ’94 is most remembered for the infamous mud fight between Green Day and the crowd that resulted in bassist Mike Dirnt injuring his arm and breaking two teeth when a security guard mistook him for a fan and tackled him into stage equipment. 

The Bookmobile’s Next Journey

Although the bookmobile has long since been retired as a tour bus, its legacy will live on. Now that Wheels For Wishes has received this donation, it will be restored by West Coast Customs. Later on, the bookmobile will go on display at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. On top of that, it will be auctioned off and the proceeds from this donation will also go on to help Make-A-Wish.

You can help your local Make-A-Wish grant more wishes too! All you need to do is donate a car, boat, RV, motorcycle or other vehicle to Wheels For Wishes, benefiting your local chapter of Make-A-Wish. Wheels For Wishes benefits Make-A-Wish chapters around the country. Find your local chapter here to get started!

If you have a car to donate, give Wheels For Wishes a call at 1-877-431-9474 or fill out an online car donation form. Our donation representatives are here to help with any questions you may have about donating a car to charity. No matter your car’s age or condition, we can accept it in most cases. Let your old car go on to do bigger and better things by donating it to Wheels For Wishes today!

https://www.wheelsforwishes.org/news/green-day-donates-original-tour-bus-to-wheels-for-wishes/

Good shit!  You always have the scoops.  I like it.

Whoa, I didn't know they still had it! That's cool that they're donating it. :happy: I remember an interview they did (I think I saw it in the bonus footage on Green Day Rockband) where they're talking about the bus, and how they'd pull up at venues and kids would come over trying to buy books. :lol: "We don't have any books! Go away!"

11 minutes ago, 21guns&novacaine said:

Whoa, I didn't know they still had it! That's cool that they're donating it. :happy: I remember an interview they did (I think I saw it in the bonus footage on Green Day Rockband) where they're talking about the bus, and how they'd pull up at venues and kids would come over trying to buy books. :lol: "We don't have any books! Go away!"

You mean this one?

"We don't have any books. We don't even read!" 😄

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

You mean this one?

"We don't have any books. We don't even read!" 😄

That's the one :lol: 

4 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Take lots of pics for me! :D 

6 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Take a lot of pics but let everyone except for the @Todd see them 

Going on display on the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame? That's amazing! Fans will be able to see it in all it 90's glory!

3 hours ago, Todd said:

You're a nice dude. You gonna be at any west coast shows? I want to say hi.

7 hours ago, Todd said:

I definitely will! Last time I went to the museum I took a lot of pics of anything Green Day-related but I forgot to ever post them here. I'll have to fix that. We plan on going back soon because Brandon wants to see Tupac's exhibit since he got inducted this year, but now I want to time it with when the Bookmobile is there, too. 

Have you seen anything in news coverage indicating the date/timeframe it'll go on display in Cleveland, @desertrose?

4 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

You're a nice dude. You gonna be at any west coast shows? I want to say hi.

Nope. Just East coast. 

14 hours ago, desertrose said:

The bus, affectionately known to Green Day fans as the bookmobile

No it's just literally a bookmobile :P 

This is really cool. Wasn't the thing abandoned in a forest at one point? Pretty awesome that it's been restored and even more so that it's going to be at the HoF and then raise money for such a good cause, much better than being left to rot!

18 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The bookmobile! The restoration is amazing. I can't believe they are going to put it on display at the Hall of Fame museum, that's legendary. I'd love to go see it when it's there. What a nice donation and it's great to see the bookmobile restored, it's a great piece of GD history. 

Everytime I see the bookmobile I think of this interview with our little pups just starting out on their journey:

Tre: We have a rock opera

Mike: It's called Jimmy

oh. my. god. they've been planning American Idiot for at least 11 years! :o 

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Tre: We have a rock opera

Mike: It's called Jimmy

oh. my. god. they've been planning American Idiot for at least 11 years! :o 

It wouldn't really surprise me. It way too good for something they put together relatively fast after ditching C&V :P 

Isn't it funny though that they were poking fun at the idea of doing a rock opera back then? If they only knew. It reminds me of Heart Like A Hand Grenade when they were joking about if AI ever became a musical (Mike: on ice!). Famous last words. :lol:

Hey everyone, 

Today I visited the rock and roll hall of fame and there was a bookmobile in front of the hall. There was no discription or any sign but i think it is green days bookmobile. I could look inside and there was a green streetsign with “longview blvd“ in it. 

Sorry for the bad english, but i am not a native speaker 🙂

Greetings

Jackie

Hey everyone, 

Today I visited the rock and roll hall of fame and there was a bookmobile in front of the hall. There was no discription or any sign but i think it is green days bookmobile. I could look inside and there was a green streetsign with “longview blvd“ in it. 

Sorry for the bad english, but i am not a native speaker 🙂

Greetings

Jackie

@AlissaGoesRAWR check this out. :)

This is pretty awesome news! I live in Cleveland and would love to see the Bookmobile in person. I remember watching those old Woodstock '94 interviews on MTV in real time. My cousin and I used to write really cheesy, embarrassing fan fiction stories when we were 12 about Green Day showing up at our family parties and they always drove off into the sunset in the Bookmobile 😂

Isn't it funny though that they were poking fun at the idea of doing a rock opera back then? If they only knew. It reminds me of Heart Like A Hand Grenade when they were joking about if AI ever became a musical (Mike: on ice!). Famous last words. :lol:

Billie was asked in an interview (in 2006 I think) about a book or a musical and he said "over my dead body". Well, he's not dead yet... :P 

I can't believe I missed them drop this and the Boulevard/Holiday car off at the Rock Hall yesterday. I'm destined to never actually meet them. Grrr.

I know, so close it makes sense they would go there but I thought it would just be the bookmobile. Then they are driving around in the car from Holiday! Can't believe that old clunker still runs.

Archived