Green Day Donates Original Tour Bus To Wheels For Wishes

desertrose

I can't believe I missed them drop this and the Boulevard/Holiday car off at the Rock Hall yesterday. I'm destined to never actually meet them. Grrr.

The HOLIDAY CAR?! Fuck, if I wasn't going to Chicago to see them this week, I'd be getting my ass to Cleveland ASAP! :runaround:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, so close it makes sense they would go there but I thought it would just be the bookmobile. Then they are driving around in the car from Holiday! Can't believe that old clunker still runs.

I am  pretty sure it wasn't running when they made the vid, am sure in the "making of" vid It was being pushed so they must have done some work on it.

Also, I think there was a photo a while ago of the bookmobile sitting outside Jingletown but I guess with it going, the bookmobile would have to too.  I read somewhere that there is a collective Green Day hanger full of cars, bikes etc somewhere aroundmOaklnad, does anyone know if that's true?  

It sounds like the cars may only be there for a short amount of time. How ironic; I may miss seeing them because I'm traveling to Chicago to see the band. :lol:  

Women's sunglasses, a badge with a picture of himself as a child on it and a horrific shirt, nice combo Beej.

Not sure where this video is from but I saw it on tumblr, shows them arriving in the car, and the bookmobile:

http://chitownpunkgirl.tumblr.com/post/164505052957/green-day-at-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame

Didn't know that car had leopard print seats (but not at all surprised that it does) :lol: 

So apparently it's not going to be there long before the auction. "A few weeks" 

https://twitter.com/rockhall/status/900113453142220800

There letting me know the dates are. I'm busy with my sister's wedding till mid September.  😥

I wish it would just go to the museum. I get it's for chairty and love that. But it should be at least there for a bit longer for the fans.  If I had the money I would bid for it and then donate it to the museum. If only.. 

On Monday, Aug. 21, Green Day stepped back into their original tour bus for the first time since 1994. The bus, known as the Bookmobile, was recently donated Wheels For Wishes, benefiting Make-A-Wish. When we received the Bookmobile, it was in its original condition – a little rusty and worse for wear. After all, it had been sitting unused for more than two decades.  

Now that the bus has been restored by West Coast Customs, the Bookmobile is on display at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Don’t miss your chance to see it yourself. The Bookmobile will only be on display until Labor Day!

Revisiting The Bookmobile

Although the outside of the bus has been restored to pristine condition, the inside was left untouched in its original condition. Old drums and other equipment still fill the shelves that once held books. Bumper stickers, street signs, and original tour posters hang from the walls. Even the original carpeting, furniture, appliances, and dishes remain.

For the band, walking inside must have been like taking a step back in time. Fans who visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will have a chance to walk through the tour bus and experience it for themselves too.

On a signed guitar, a Green Day band member wrote: “Wheels For Wishes saved the Bookmobile!” If the Bookmobile weren’t donated to Wheels For Wishes, it likely would have rusted away or ended up as scrap metal. Thanks to the restoration efforts, Green Day were reunited with the tour bus that helped them get their start back in ’93 and ’94, their first year of touring.

Remember the beat up car from “Holiday” and “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”? Green Day have also donated it to Wheels For Wishes, benefiting Make-A-Wish. The car is a custom ’68 Mercury Monterey. Only about 1,000 of these vehicles ever sold, and Green Day’s is likely one of the few that’s still around. It still runs, too.

When Green Day were in Cleveland, they also took a ride in the old car downtown from The House Of Blues, all the way over to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. A few lucky fans even got to stop and take a picture with them on their drive.

Donate Your Car To Wheels For Wishes

The Bookmobile and Mercury Monterey donations to Wheels For Wishes will benefit Make-A-Wish. If you’d like to help out as well, you don’t need to be in a band to do so! Anyone with an unwanted car, truck, boat, RV, motorcycle or other vehicle can make a donation to Wheels For Wishes.

Just give us a call at 1-855-225-9474 or fill out an online car donation form. We’ll help you through the entire process and answer any questions you may have. As an added benefit, car donations are tax deductible and you receive free towing. Donate your car today!

https://www.wheelsforwishes.org/news/green-day-tour-bus-restorations-revealed/

There are some awesome photos in this blog! 

^^^ Ooh, didn't know it was a tv show. I want to see it when it airs (wonder when that will be). 

Didn't know this was a tv show either, hope it's better than the Junk Gypsy one, only managed to see some short, poor quality footage of it!

The Rock Hall said today on the phone that the Bookmobile will definitely be gone after Labor Day, so it looks like I'll be heading up on Saturday to see it. Brandon has to work so he can't come (and I won't be going into the museum then, since we're going to wait and do it together), so I guess I'll have to find some stranger to take my picture... unless you'll be around, @JardyOfSuburbia? :D 

2 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

The Rock Hall said today on the phone that the Bookmobile will definitely be gone after Labor Day, so it looks like I'll be heading up on Saturday to see it. Brandon has to work so he can't come (and I won't be going into the museum then, since we're going to wait and do it together), so I guess I'll have to find some stranger to take my picture... unless you'll be around, @JardyOfSuburbia? :D 

Haha, I should be around. Stop at my place and meet Jinx!

16 minutes ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

Haha, I should be around. Stop at my place and meet Jinx!

That would be amazing! I'll text you when I'm heading up there and let you know.

Glad this piece of early Green Day history got the attention it needed, and will live on in some lucky fan's garage. And for a good cause to boot.

Oh I really want to go see this this weekend, but I have no one to go with for the two and a half hour drive. 🙁 *sings* "I'm all by myself..."

Oh that's so great! I really wanted to go but it just didn't work out for me. Sorry we didn't plan another meet up LOL! But thanks for sharing your pics. 

25 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Oh that's so great! I really wanted to go but it just didn't work out for me. Sorry we didn't plan another meet up LOL! But thanks for sharing your pics. 

For sure tell me next time you're gonna be around! 😊

1 hour ago, letsdanceon said:

For sure tell me next time you're gonna be around! 😊

The next time they have a special Green Day exhibit of course. I'm only 2 hours away, we'll do it. 🙂

Went to see it yesterday! Missed John Mellencamp performing an impromptu show on the plaza by about an hour :lol: 

Spoiler

21317540_10209770646929491_6426618129387

21231798_10209770647769512_9193792915335

21230918_10209770648529531_2479602764634

And they had a bunch of food trucks on the plaza yesterday and because I'm 12 years old, I have to say I laughed at the placement of the mayo dispenser ... how Longview-tastic :lol: 

21272615_10209770648889540_5020349750165

Archived