British band Bastille release 'Basket Case' cover

JardyOfSuburbia

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

Oh I fucking hate them. With strings?! 

But I appreciate any cover as I'm sure the band do for the royalties and the chance it leads people unfamiliar to check out the original.

Woah, not gonna lie I think that's cool. I had/still having a serious love affair with their debut album, a lot of good memories from 2013 - then I went to a live show and had the experience literally ruined by the fangirls' noise level lmao. But I'm open to enjoying the cover :happy:

18 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

Woah, not gonna lie I think that's cool. I had/still having a serious love affair with their debut album, a lot of good memories from 2013 - then I went to a live show and had the experience literally ruined by the fangirls' noise level lmao. But I'm open to enjoying the cover :happy:

I will admit I really liked Pompeii - Im a sucker for an accent.:ermm:

18 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I liked Alanis Morisette 

Me too - Jagged Little Pill is an awesome album & Im looking forward to the stage production.

I've split this into its own topic as it's a fairly high-profile cover and was made for an upcoming Amazon Video series.  Here's the song: 

I like it.  The strings and brass sound great and they've really made it their own.  I'd much rather listen to something like this than a band trying to rigidly copy the original.  It's a lot cleaner and a bit more chilled out, and that suits Bastille really well.  I haven't listened to them in a while, but this reminded me how much I like them and motivated me to go on a bit of a listening binge.

They could've shown some consideration and chosen a better time to release this than just as I was cutting onions not being pms-y and emotional at all :ermm::wub:

Seriously though I love it, it's like two of my worlds colliding in a good way. They definitely made it their own, and they're gonna introduce a whole bunch of new kids to Green Day which is nice.

I think I would have liked this if they chilled out a bit with the instrumentation, I was cool with it until the 0:50 mark...or maybe Bastille's style is just not my cup of tea. At least they made it their own, so that's nice. 

I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone and say I'm not diggin' this cover. I do appreciate that they definitely made it their own and it's not just an attempt to straight up copy it. And I have nothing against Bastille, I like their hits, but this isn't doin' it for me. I love covers that can enhance a song from an emotional standpoint, but this one loses the essence of the song in my opinion.  

I like Bastille, but I just can't get into this cover. I've listened to it quite a few times and it's just not having any effect on me. It's not bad, but it's nothing special either. At least they didn't butcher the song.

I do love Dan's vocals on it though. :D

No sorry, not doing anything for me, we hear Bastille wayyyy too much on UK radio for my taste and I now find the singers voice really annoying.

I actually quite like it :D it's definitely the best cover I've heard because it's not an imitation. It is kinda weird to hear him singing the lyrics in such a chill voice though :lol: 

5 hours ago, Jenn. said:

I actually quite like it :D it's definitely the best cover I've heard because it's not an imitation. It is kinda weird to hear him singing the lyrics in such a chill voice though :lol: 

It's a bit less 'paranoid' and more 'stoned' than the original, though the staccato strings does help make sure it isn't excessively chilled.

Im now waiting for Green Day to cover 'Pompeii', I feel like Billie could bring a lot to the 'Hey Hey Oh, Hey Oh' part...

12 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

It's a bit less 'paranoid' and more 'stoned' than the original, though the staccato strings does help make sure it isn't excessively chilled.

Im now waiting for Green Day to cover 'Pompeii', I feel like Billie could bring a lot to the 'Hey Hey Oh, Hey Oh' part...

I'd pay to hear that :lol: 

I suppose anything is better than an attempt at a carbon copy or generic pop punk version, but I find the Bastille singer's voice unlistenable. 

I like Bastille and obviously like Basket Case.  What I don't understand why they picked both or either for The Tick.  Seems an odd combination.

This is great! I've liked Bastille (on obcess level) before they had the 1st album out like the true hipster I am. I loved Dan's voice so much and at the time they didn't have electronic music incorporated into their sound, it was all acoustic guitar/piano and/or with other strings... So this is exactly how I trully loved them. They really made it their own with this cover. It's so nice to hear the 'bastille I love' playing Green Day. Reminds me I should listen to their newer album more because I think it has some really cool tunes and I have not heard it enough.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, Second favourite son said:

I've split this into its own topic as it's a fairly high-profile cover and was made for an upcoming Amazon Video series.  Here's the song: 

I like it.  The strings and brass sound great and they've really made it their own.  I'd much rather listen to something like this than a band trying to rigidly copy the original.  It's a lot cleaner and a bit more chilled out, and that suits Bastille really well.  I haven't listened to them in a while, but this reminded me how much I like them and motivated me to go on a bit of a listening binge.

"The uploader has made this unavailable in your country"?  Fuck off. Not you SFS.

I managed to hear bits and pieces from little adverts and I can't say I love it.  One thing that I never noticed though was "I went to a whore and HE said my life's a bore"...Since 94, I always thought it was she.  Interesting.

Am I the only one who thinks this version is actually a hundred times more depressing then Green Day's? The original is fast and angry, you can blowing off some steam moshing to it, but this is so depressing. It makes me want to give up on life - the contrast of the brass/strings and the lyrics. Jfc it makes me think of these facebook nihilist memes pages with cute pictures and dark captions like this:

CO477EmXAAES2-7-2.jpg

I actually sort of like it, it's not bad at all. I am glad they went for a completely different sound, but it made me feel so depressed lol

I was so happy when I found out Bastille covered "Basket Case"! I saw Bastille 3 times when they were touring Bad Blood in 2013-2014. I'm a fan of theirs and my mom is even a bigger fan of theirs (why we saw them that many times on one tour). I liked that they didn't try to do a straight cover of it or do it electronic. I loved the orchestral backing. I had no idea what The Tick was so I googled it, but I don't get what "Basket Case" has to do with a superhero. Regardless, when I get more iTunes money I'll definitely be buying this single!

Why does it sound so freaking happy? :sick: Couldn't listen all the way through. Self indulgent cover that focuses on emphasising the guys vocal range and completely ignores the subject matter of the song or it might not sound so celebratory.

Archived